The worst ever cup season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Damski

Reaction score
Is this our worst ever cup performance in a season?

FA Cup - 2nd round
League Cup - 1st round
Bullshit Trophy - 1st round

6-0 pastings and beating Grimsby U23's aside, we've had a cup year to forget. Have we ever performed this badly, Blades historians? Or is this a record?

FA Cup - 2nd round
League Cup - 1st round

6-0 pastings and beating Grimsby U23's aside, we've had a cup year to forget. Have we ever performed this badly, Blades historians? Or is this a record?

We last went out of both main cups at the first attempt in 2010-11, losing at Hartlepool in the League cup and home to Villa in the FA Cup.

1996/97 was quite a bad one.

Lost 2-5 at home to Stockport (who I think were league below us) and 7-3 on aggregate in League Cup 2nd Round
Lost 0-1 at Norwich in FA Cup 3rd Round (when we entered at 3rd Round stage.

77-8, we didn't cover ourselves in glory.....Lost 3-0 to Everton in the League Cup 2nd Rd and 5-0 at home to Arsenal in the FA Cup 3rd Rd (4 down after about 18 minutes) :(

FA Cup - 2nd round
League Cup - 1st round

Best performance since we got in this league, fuck the cups, promotion all the way!

1996/97 was quite a bad one.

Lost 2-5 at home to Stockport (who I think were league below us) and 7-3 on aggregate in League Cup 2nd Round
Lost 0-1 at Norwich in FA Cup 3rd Round (when we entered at 3rd Round stage.

We did play in the first round of the league cup though - beat Bradford 3-0 and 2-1.

Think the early/mid 70s to Bassett taking over were something of a wasteland for United in the cups.

73-74 lost to West Brom second round LC (coming in at second round), Ipswich FAC third round (in at third round) and Dundee United in Texaco Cup on first hurdle.

76-77 first hurdle defeat Chelsea LC, Newcastle FACup.

84-85 second hurdle defeat Everton LC (2-6 agg), first hurdle Watford FA Cup (5-0)

Best performance since we got in this league, fuck the cups, promotion all the way!

All well and good but what if we don't get promotion either? We only ever have these conversations in hindsight but I am not convinced that we miss promotion because of cup success. We miss because we aren't good enough to get into the top 2.

I think for the first time ever, I don't really give a monkeys that we've done zilch in the cups this season. Sure I'll be just as disappointed if it we're not promoted next May, but I'd have been even more miffed if it was down to losing key players due to injury in cup games.

I know that we can't cover every angle by over-protecting players, look at what's happened to Chapman, but I think Wilder's done the right thing to clear the decks for the league games this time around. Less income in the kitty of course, but hopefully less injuries, less tiredness and a clearer focus on the main job in hand.

It is pretty shoddy. I don't get how anyone cannot care to see us lose. Ridiculous.

Especially in the FA cup

A little bit of temporary cup pain,i'll take it,we are distraction free for the remainder of the season............focus just focus on the big prize.

Why not have a good cup run anyway though?

If we won the League Cup or FA Cup and got promotion, then great, but that's not very likely is it?

I ain't bothered about getting to a Semi-final and losing again, I want to see us win something, so anything less than lifting a trophy is a failure in my eyes.

If we won the League Cup or FA Cup and got promotion, then great, but that's not very likely is it?

I ain't bothered about getting to a Semi-final and losing again, I want to see us win something, so anything less than lifting a trophy is a failure in my eyes.

Better to get to a Semi-final and not go up than not get to a Semi-final and not go up.

Why? Only one team wins a cup, it's a small time attitude to be happy to make a Semi-final.

Yep you can't get more small time than being in the third division and getting to a semi final. We should be gutted at these non achievements.

Think the early/mid 70s to Bassett taking over were something of a wasteland for United in the cups.

73-74 lost to West Brom second round LC (coming in at second round), Ipswich FAC third round (in at third round) and Dundee United in Texaco Cup on first hurdle.

76-77 first hurdle defeat Chelsea LC, Newcastle FACup.

84-85 second hurdle defeat Everton LC (2-6 agg), first hurdle Watford FA Cup (5-0)

John Harris teams were excellent in the cups during his first spell, and poor on the whole during his second spell.

The 70s is our worst FA Cup decade. We won a grand total of 4 games.

My dream as a blade is to see United in the FA Cup final and to win it. Any season we don't achieve it is a disappointment. That said I couldn't give a monkeys about the League cup and that other abomination. I would trade a final appearance, in the FA Cup,for any promotion or relegation.

Back
Top Bottom