The signings Wilder wants...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Danny_Blade

Reaction score
Looks as though they ain't happening then, or at least not all of them. He's said in previous weeks that the 6 key signings he needs (2 or 3 CBs, another winger, a CM and a GK) would be able to happen under the budget he has to work with, and that if he wanted any additional ones after that then some of those transfer listed would have to be moved on first for it to happen, which seems fair. Now in the clip below released on the O/S today he now admits that some of the transfer listed ones will have to go first before getting in the players that he initially said he'd be able to bring in.

Either:

The budget has been reduced since he was appointed (for whatever reason)

The targets and/or their agents are demanding a little too many £££s

Or it wasn't even true in the first place (however I don't think CW is the dishonest type is he, especially to us?)

Whichever way it ain't looking good (not that it ever was), but if the board doesn't back him for those key signings then its seriously looking like yet another unthinkable season in this league.

This was part of the 12 minute interview that Buchan had with Wilder which was posted on the RS web site two days ago.

There was other topics covered - like a settlement with Hammond, imminent and looking to land 2-3 in the next week or so but also admitting that beyond those 3 they would need to shift more out to bring others in.

Looks as though they ain't happening then, or at least not all of them. He's said in previous weeks that the 6 key signings he needs (2 or 3 CBs, another winger, a CM and a GK) would be able to happen under the budget he has to work with, and that if he wanted any additional ones after that then some of those transfer listed would have to be moved on first for it to happen, which seems fair. Now in the clip below released on the O/S today he now admits that some of the transfer listed ones will have to go first before getting in the players that he initially said he'd be able to bring in.

Either:

The budget has been reduced since he was appointed (for whatever reason)

The targets and/or their agents are demanding a little too many £££s

Or it wasn't even true in the first place (however I don't think CW is the dishonest type is he, especially to us?)

Whichever way it ain't looking good (not that it ever was), but if the board doesn't back him for those key signings then its seriously looking like yet another unthinkable season in this league.

I think someone over estimated the pulling power of The Blades and under estimated the financial premium added due to The Blades being interested in player x.

Players play for money , not the shirt , and it is becoming more evident , as additional money is being sourced by moving on transfer listed or players not part of CW plans.

We perhaps do have a healthy budget but not big enough to cater for the number of players required and the quality expected.

UTB

And thus the Sheffield United circle of life is almost complete. From fully backed and can bring in 6/7 and more if others leave to we need need to move people out.

I've heard a few things regarding wages lately and they don't inspire me with any confidence that we'll be able to compete for many of the suggested targets. We're likely to get outbid by other League 1 teams as they don't have so many on high wages.

I think he's realising that his one-extreme-to-the-other stance on wages was nothing more than a pipe dream. Meaning what little money he got can't actually be stretched as far as he thought.

Worryingly, he's visibly aged years since he joined us. Weir looked like that after 13 games in charge and Tufty hasn't managed one yet. Poor lad will be off with stress before we even start.

Oh dear.....and so it begins.

It's ok having the stance that you won't pay this and that...and so on. And that's fine when you have a competitive squad and are looking to add one or two over the season if need be.

However, as we know quite well, we need players and sharpish. So as I said yesterday, something has to give!

I remain firmly confident in my assertion that the problems faced by Clough, were not just of his own doing. It's no coincidence we are seeing the same problems again and again.
So when we start to panic, pay too much for average players and all the possible young stars from the premier league are gone it will be Groundhog Day for me.

I repeat....I don't blame Wilder for this either. Like managers before him, he's given his wanted list, the club haven't delivered.

We basically have fuck all money and in 3 or 4 years time will still be blaming clough and trying to move players on.

"It's important that we get it right" is the Chris' apparent catchphrase. It's more important to breathe but let's not waste time stating the bloody obvious.

I'd love to tell you Barney but with an average of 14 posts a day including on statutory holidays its difficult to keep track.
To be fair, most of those are back and forth within a short period of time in discussions.

Give it a week or two and we will be scrabbling round wanting to sign any old shite just to make the numbers up ........................... it's the Blades way Barney has it sussed.
I don't think anyone thinks the club is or was sat on a bed off roses. It's the speed at which the likes of Barney transfer the blame onto the current manager that rankles with many.

The process has already started with Wilder.

UTB.

I hate to say it, but his tone is becoming more Adkinsesque by each passing interview IMO. The way he dodged the direct question about players going out in order to bring players in is almost identical to the noises that useless Nige was making last season. A frustrated man who is suppressing his true feelings with waffle.

Don't get me wrong, I will support CW as much as the next fan because I genuinely believe he won't make the same mistakes that the Nigels made before him, I just hope the fans appreciate the constraints he is working with and remember that if we arent running away with the league come October.

I think people just need to simmer down a bit, because if anything he has saved some money by cancelling contract offers of Flynn and McEverley just to name 2.

I hate to say it, but his tone is becoming more Adkinsesque by each passing interview IMO. The way he dodged the direct question about players going out in order to bring players in is almost identical to the noises that useless Nige was making last season. A frustrated man who is suppressing his true feelings with waffle.

Don't get me wrong, I will support CW as much as the next fan because I genuinely believe he won't make the same mistakes that the Nigels made before him, I just hope the fans appreciate the constraints he is working with and remember that if we arent running away with the league come October.

"Don't get me wrong, I will support CW as much as the next fan"

Let's hope the next fans not Barney!

Back
Top Bottom