The old days

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Endless speculation on here and on Twitter and on all sorts of websites about possible transfer activity.

I quite miss the old days.

Spot an item in the "Stop Press" section of The Star: "Sheffield United have signed centre-half Eddie Colquhoun from West Brom for £27500."

Go round to my my mate's house. He's ten, same age as me. Tell him.

"Ever heard of him?"

"Yeah, I think there was a picture of him in last year's Topical Times Football Annual."

"Is he any good?"

"Dunno."

We go round to the house up the street where a Unitedite lives who sometimes gives us a lift to matches. Tell him.

"Know anything about him?"

"I think he might be Scottish."

"Is he any good?"

"Dunno."

"Why do you think we've signed him?"

"Defence wasn't very good Saturday."

"Do you think he'll play him this weekend?"

"Dunno."

"Who do you think he'll replace?"

"Mallender?"

Go home. My dad comes in from work. I tell him.

"I think it's pronounced Co-hoon."

"Anything else?"

"No."

Go to bed.

The following night's Star tells us he's a six-footer from Prestonpans and there's a quote from the manager: "he'll do a good job for us."

And that's it.

I miss those days.

Endless speculation on here and on Twitter and on all sorts of websites about possible transfer activity.

Spot an item in the "Stop Press" section of The Star: "Sheffield United have signed centre-half Eddie Colquhoun from West Brom for £27500."

"Ever heard of him?"

"Yeah, I think there was a picture of him in last year's Topical Times Football Annual."

"Is he any good?"

"Dunno."

We go round to the house up the street where a Unitedite lives who sometimes gives us a lift to matches. Tell him.

"Is he any good?"

"Dunno."

"Dunno."

"Mallender?"

"Anything else?"

"No."

Go to bed.

The following night's Star tells us he's a six-footer from Prestonpans and there's a quote from the manager: "he'll do a good job for us."

And that's it.

I miss those days.

Happy days.

"Ever heard of him?"

"Is he any good?"

"Dunno."

"Is he any good?"

"Dunno."

"Dunno."

"Mallender?"

"Anything else?"

"No."

Go to bed.

And that's it.

I miss those days.

You do know there's an off button on your computer/phone?

You won't wish to hear the tale of the non PC way my Pig fan mate at school described Richard Cadette when we signed him!!!!

But I recall bragging off in the school playground that we'd paid 6 figures for him!!!!

You do know there's an off button on your computer/phone?
I do that on a regular basis which is sad.

I was involved in the Internet/ community networks in the early days and it's one of the reasons you can post on this forum.

I do still have a rest/switch off....down to people though not the technology!

:)

"Ever heard of him?"

"Is he any good?"

"Dunno."

"Is he any good?"

"Dunno."

"Dunno."

"Mallender?"

"Anything else?"

"No."

Go to bed.

And that's it.

I miss those days.
What's stopping you doing all that now? Unplug your computer and turn off your wifi.

Then it'll be the same. You'll have more detailed comments from the manager in the paper too.

I was involved in the Internet/ community networks in the early days and it's one of the reasons you can post on this forum.

There's always a ghost in the machine...

So it's partly your fault that the youth of today can't speak but can type 150 words per minute with their thumbs.

So it's partly your fault that the youth of today can't speak but can type 150 words per minute with their thumbs.
I did champion something called packet radio which could send text messages across the world using Amatuer Radio....you did need to get a licence to do this which needed study....but yes they did use a form of txt speech.

This was all before mobile phones or the internet.

Personally I think the world would be a poorer place if there wasn't a 102 page saga available online on the possibility of us signing Sam Morsy.

The first signings I remember were John Barnwell and Billy Dearden in April 1970. My dad knew about Barnwell telling me he was a good player at Arsenal and Forest so naturally he was pleased about signing him but I do not remember him talking about Dearden. The next match was the Gerry Young testimonial and I was looking forward to seeing Barnwell but had forgotten about Dearden until he scored our first equaliser. I turned round to my dad asking him who had scored. He replied "Dearden", I asked "who" again so he wrote down "DEARDEN" on his cigarette packet and then it clicked.

Barnwell turned out to be a poor signing but Dearden turned out to be a real bargain!

Our next signing was 9 months later in January 1971 when my mum heard in the Calendar news that we had signed Trevor Hockey from Birmingham. I had no idea what he looked like but I was delighted and told my dad as soon as he came home from work. In the next morning my dad woke up to show me the shock news of my hero John Tudor being transferred to Newcastle and I wasnt paying much attention that John Hope and David Ford had joined us in the exchange deal. I was upset that Tudor had left us. My dad then told me "we will go to Oxford this Saturday". On the Saturday, at Oxford I was surprised to see our new midfielder sporting a beard (I cannot think of any other footballer at the time that had a beard). He had a good game that day and was very vocal, Hope had a good game too and both turned out to be key players for the promotion push

You won't wish to hear the tale of the non PC way my Pig fan mate at school described Richard Cadette when we signed him!!!!

But I recall bragging off in the school playground that we'd paid 6 figures for him!!!!
First Blades Revival signing!

The first signings I remember were John Barnwell and Billy Dearden in April 1970. My dad knew about Barnwell telling me he was a good player at Arsenal and Forest so naturally he was pleased about signing him but I do not remember him talking about Dearden. The next match was the Gerry Young testimonial and I was looking forward to seeing Barnwell but had forgotten about Dearden until he scored our first equaliser. I turned round to my dad asking him who had scored. He replied "Dearden", I asked "who" again so he wrote down "DEARDEN" on his cigarette packet and then it clicked.

Barnwell turned out to be a poor signing but Dearden turned out to be a real bargain!

Our next signing was 9 months later in January 1971 when my mum heard in the Calendar news that we had signed Trevor Hockey from Birmingham. I had no idea what he looked like but I was delighted and told my dad as soon as he came home from work. In the next morning my dad woke up to show me the shock news of my hero John Tudor being transferred to Newcastle and I wasnt paying much attention that John Hope and David Ford had joined us in the exchange deal. I was upset that Tudor had left us. My dad then told me "we will go to Oxford this Saturday". On the Saturday, at Oxford I was surprised to see our new midfielder sporting a beard (I cannot think of any other footballer at the time that had a beard). He had a good game that day and was very vocal, Hope had a good game too and both turned out to be key players for the promotion push
Loved Billy....true centre forward who would throw his body at any ball that came near him!

Brave brave player!

Talking about back in the day, watching Bassett put together a squad of rejects and reserves for next to nowt then turn them into a promotion machine is to date my favourite era. Back then I used to count the days, hours and minutes to our next game.

Tony Agana...joined at a time we were starting to go regularly after going to only a very few games before that.

What a player he was at the time.

Talking about back in the day, watching Bassett put together a squad of rejects and reserves for next to nowt then turn them into a promotion machine is to date my favourite era. Back then I used to count the days, hours and minutes to our next game.

Agreed....great times and sadly I think we've had ours, never to be repeated. That season in Division 3 my old man decreed we would go to every FA cup game that season home and away. Must have regretted saying that on a midweek trip to Colchester, though the away trip to Norwich is still one of my favourite trips.

I remember that double swoop signing SB..We were usually playing Football in the street when my sister came home from work at the Star and Telegraph..I'd grab the paper to see the latest United news and remember seeing the headline on the back page..Barnwell had injury problems and didn't really make an impression..what a snip Billy was for 10k from Chester though..I always liked the signings that seemed to appear in the team on Saturday without any knowledge of them signing..I think the last time that anything like that happened was when Kmac signed.

A manager who can put together a squad of rejects and reserves for next to nowt then turn them into a promotion machine?

Surely tales like this are based on pure folklore and fantasy?

You'll be telling me next that he only paid £25k for Brian Deane. ;)

Wasn't that long ago that you'd turn up to a match to find that we'd signed somebody overnight and the first you'd heard of it was when they announced the teams.

Agreed....great times and sadly I think we've had ours, never to be repeated. That season in Division 3 my old man decreed we would go to every FA cup game that season home and away. Must have regretted saying that on a midweek trip to Colchester, though the away trip to Norwich is still one of my favourite trips.

Funny you should mention the Norwich game, only yesterday Bert was looking for something in his garage when he stumbled across his ticket for that game.

I remember that double swoop signing SB..We were usually playing Football in the street when my sister came home from work at the Star and Telegraph..I'd grab the paper to see the latest United news and remember seeing the headline on the back page..Barnwell had injury problems and didn't really make an impression..what a snip Billy was for 10k from Chester though..I always liked the signings that seemed to appear in the team on Saturday without any knowledge of them signing..I think the last time that anything like that happened was when Kmac signed.
I still remember the photo of Barnwell with John Harris in the back page of the Star. Barnwell was wearing a suit and had his right hand inside his coat like Napoleon (I hadnt heard of Napoleon then!)

Back
Top Bottom