POLL: Do you have faith in Wilder?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Do you have faith in Wilder?

• Yes, did all along

Votes: 90 37.8%
  • Yes, but I was wary until the retained list came out

Votes: 48 20.2%
  • No, done nothing to change my mind

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • No, I did at first but he's trying too much too soon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too soon to say as yet despite the work he's done

Votes: 96 40.3%

• Total voters

Slim Man

Reaction score
So, we've had time to hear every angle of the stories from the Adkins sacking and Wilder headhunt. He's come in, shaken a few heads together, and booted out a lot of the shit. A clean sweep with a new brush. I know we've done no transfer business IN yet but we can still judge what we know thus far.

A lower league manager who's earned his stripes and earned a crack at HIS job the hard way. Make no bones about it this bloke has worked his socks off to get where he is now.

The first soundbites were the ones from Northampton fans and their general guttedness (is that a word) about Wilder going. Must say they were very classy though and didn't show any anger towards him, from the chairman to the fans. The video of him on the pitch at Notts county telling the chairman to sell the club as no one was getting paid was brilliant, spoke like a football man. Was it Foxy who told us about seeing him at Wrexham away in the cup years and years ago? Says a lot about his love for us. That's not on his doorstep is it...

Then he was unveiled and we all felt a bit 'same owd' about it. Another press conference, another new face, more talk of doing the right things and little action being done to do it. But then the retained list came out. No second/third/fourth chances, the players that failed us were out. And the ones that he couldn't release he made them know in no uncertain terms they weren't wanted by transfer listing them. Can't say fairer than that.

At first I was sceptical I'll happily admit he's changed my mind completely. Words don't count for a lot but actions do, and he's restored a lot of peoples faith and hope in this club. Time for a fresh ethos and a new team to be proud of. Something feels different to the rest of the appointments in this division, he's one of us, he gets it. I don't care how fucking 'bladey blade' that sounds, fuck it, it's true.

He loves SUFC like we do. And I have the firmest belief that he's going to bring us back where we belong.

He's done one job so far, albeit a good one. A lot of Bladey-Bladeness knocking so far which I suppose is to be expected considering there's fuck all to really talk about at the moment.

I have faith that Wilder is a good manager. I have very little faith in those that give him the money to spend and even less faith that those two factors are in any way compatible. Peanuts, monkeys etc. etc.

Also seen far too many false dawns with this club in this division, so I'm going into the season with absolutely zero expectation.

I was wary as he hasn't managed above League 2 before, but I'm encouraged by the statement of intent that the retained list made. Should be an interesting summer at least.

I've selected the "too soon..." option but to be more clear, I think he looks a good appointment from what we know. My concerns are in relation to those above him and some of those that remain below. Whatever happens (with the exception of a Weiresque disaster), I hope he's given time and resources to build a team and have a right go at the job.

So, we've had time to hear every angle of the stories from the Adkins sacking and Wilder headhunt. He's come in, shaken a few heads together, and booted out a lot of the shit. A clean sweep with a new brush. I know we've done no transfer business IN yet but we can still judge what we know thus far.

A lower league manager who's earned his stripes and earned a crack at HIS job the hard way. Make no bones about it this bloke has worked his socks off to get where he is now.

The first soundbites were the ones from Northampton fans and their general guttedness (is that a word) about Wilder going. Must say they were very classy though and didn't show any anger towards him, from the chairman to the fans. The video of him on the pitch at Notts county telling the chairman to sell the club as no one was getting paid was brilliant, spoke like a football man. Was it Foxy who told us about seeing him at Wrexham away in the cup years and years ago? Says a lot about his love for us. That's not on his doorstep is it...

Then he was unveiled and we all felt a bit 'same owd' about it. Another press conference, another new face, more talk of doing the right things and little action being done to do it. But then the retained list came out. No second/third/fourth chances, the players that failed us were out. And the ones that he couldn't release he made them know in no uncertain terms they weren't wanted by transfer listing them. Can't say fairer than that.

At first I was sceptical I'll happily admit he's changed my mind completely. Words don't count for a lot but actions do, and he's restored a lot of peoples faith and hope in this club. Time for a fresh ethos and a new team to be proud of. Something feels different to the rest of the appointments in this division, he's one of us, he gets it. I don't care how fucking 'bladey blade' that sounds, fuck it, it's true.

He loves SUFC like we do. And I have the firmest belief that he's going to bring us back where we belong.

I had faith in Clough and Adkins . Too early to say about Wilder due to lessons learnt with the other two managers .

Am I happy and content with the appointment - yes especially as we are a established league 1 club , with a manager who was not out of work , may not dominate the back pages or a room , but appears to get the best out of people .

Personally , I cannot see him being a failure , but still a lot of hurdles to overcome .

Loving SUFC like we do is irrelevant . We need a professional manager , whose head takes priority over his heart.

Wilder may be a blade , but he certainly is not a bladey blade..

Great appointment - right man at the right time, an enthusiastic manager on the up & one who knows he's wanted here, having been headhunted by SUFC's top brass & generated plenty of fanbase enthusiasm upon his appointment.

And thanks to the ineptitude of the previous manager, even if CW doesn't take us up in 16/17 (even if he doesn't make the damn play-offs!), there's plenty of room for improvement to be made on this season, allowing him the luxury of having a "slow burn" first season without much fear of the sack.

Will it be easy? Of course it won't.

But thankfully we've got a straight-talking manager with a pair of cojones, who knows the lower leagues, & who knows how to get his sides playing decent, high-intensity football.

Let's see how that recruitment goes now...

Faith is belief in something without evidence is it not? I don't do faith :)

For what it is worth, I am wary, he did well last season, but 15 years in management and never having managed higher than the 4th Division does not inspire confidence. I am reserving judgment....

The right man, at the right time for me as well,I think he will get us up, the coming season or next. It's after that I'm a bit worried. Can he morph into a top end championship/hold their own in the premiership type manager. I hope so.

Too soon to say....he's done nothing that 90% of us wouldn't have done!

Proof will be in his recruitment....as with any manager. And then how he gets them playing.....ask again in September. We shall know by then if his squad has the makings of a good side.

Faith is belief in something without evidence is it not? I don't do faith :)

For what it is worth, I am wary, he did well last season, but 15 years in management and never having managed higher than the 4th Division does not inspire confidence. I am reserving judgment....

Wilder - Quiet Leadership .

Fat lad from Sheffield , not in vogue , doesn't dominate a room , but respected in the lower leagues . Just what we need as a established league 1 club , who has the intentions of promotion.

Maybe reserved judgement , but inside quietly confident of the appointment.

UTB

I'm hopeful that he will prove to be a success and he was the logical choice but it's far too early to say. A lot of our appointments have seemed like a good idea but who knows anymore.

At the end of every season ( well most seasons ) when we've done fuckall yet again,
I'm dispondent , then after I look at the kids , our lass the house we have ( shit area ) but it's not who we are .
After a few days the what ifs , maybe's , if onlys start to kick in , I go on S2 , and have a right chuckle at
LYDON , TD, Swizzler, etc , etc , and life don't seem to bad .
I was made redundant in March , it sort of put a perspective on things for me , and made me realise what is really important .
I fucking love everything about our club , sure it's shite at the moment , but as the song goes
Things can only get better .
By the time August rolls around, I've nothing but confidence in our team yet again to lift me up , you'd think after over 40 years supporting United I would have learned by now .
By game 3 where all back in the doldrums . Thinking not another year of this shite .
I hope Tuffty learns , and asks Sir Dave , and yes uncle Colin for advice.
100 points 100 goals , has to come right 1 season .
UTB and King Kong FTP's , up the gicker.

If he had the budget that Saint Nigel of Clough was given I'd have faith in him to take us up automatically.

Not going to get that though is he?

I have complete and utter faith that we'll never be pathetic as long as he's in charge.

He wouldn't have been my first choice but now he's here I'm quite glad he is. We need someone who isn't going to fuck about and he's better placed than any other potential new manager to make the necessary quick, decisive decisions. He knows what's what with this club and the current situation and he doesn't need a 6 month learning curve like that genius Adkins did.

He's a decent enough manager, he'll never put himself before the club, he's not a dick head or a weirdo, he's not a bullshitter, he'll rebuild the connection with the fans and the club will be more united as a result.

Bit like Dublin Blade... Leave Bramall Lane in May thinking thank goodness that's all over for another season . Then end of May wondering when the fixtures will be out, looking for who we've released or signed. Getting excited and planning Christmas games, can I get to some away matches, looking in dismay at Tuesday night matches in Nov/Dec.
Then joy of joys, the season starts.......

Hopefully this season we will have a good start, score some goals and at last get out of this league.

So I'm reserving my judgement until he's had a few games under his belt because I've got excited about managers before and look where that's got us.

UTB

He's done nothing other than release a load of players who would have been released anyway.

There's been somewhat of an overreaction so far.

This isn't me slagging him off, far from it, I really like the bloke and think we'll have s great chance with a proper lower league manager in charge.

A lot will depend on how much he's hindered by our car crash ownership.

As for the phallacy of us needing a 'straight-talker', this is quite frankly rubbish.

Warnock was a straight talker, and loads of people got their knickers in a twist when he said something they didn't like. Same with Clough. To some extent same with Adkins.

I hope against hope that's he's the one, the perfect fit, snd the right man fur us. But then I hoped the same thing last season.

2 weeks into his reign, before a balls been kicked, a signing has been linked, and just a few players released, is far too early to form any kind of proper opinion.

He has done so far, what has been necessary and what needed to be done and that is a good start.

Now comes the REALLY important part; offloading the transfer listed chumps, plus hopefully Scougal & Done ....... that won't be quite so easy .....

Then comes the CRUCIAL part; signing 10 to 12 decent replacements to create a squad that is actually capable of challenging for the top two places, for the first time since Mr Evans went on holiday at HMP.

This, of course, relies on financial support from the Board and that's where the big problems will come .........

So, for the moment, I'm firmly in the "too soon to say as yet despite the work he's done" category, until some of the points above are progressing nicely ....... :cool:

UTB & FTP

Be nice to find out that whoever he signs, he can get something out of them

The Team being bigger than the sum of its parts ..... please

If he had the budget that Saint Nigel of Clough was given I'd have faith in him to take us up automatically.

Not going to get that though is he?

I have no doubt that if he was given the same budget, he wouldn't spunk it in the manner in which it has been spunked. Clough on a shitload of nothing, plus a hell of a lot for the Beard, and Adkins on a small amount of average/shite players.

What we don't know, and probably won't get a feel for until the window opens, is just how much the budget has been slashed by. You can go up on small budgets; it's been proven. It just depends how small it really is.

As I've said before, if Adkins' compo money has cut massively into the transfer warchest, it could be very troublesome.

Back
Top Bottom