Paul Coutts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Grizzly blade

Reaction score
well after a decent game in the middle of midfield where he showed that as we all know he is very good on the ball and other than a couple of mistakes keeps hold of it....he also dispelled the theory he doesn't have 90 mins in him.

For me, I would be thinking we maybe should just keep him, because if he goes we lose one of the few actual quality players we have.
I think Wilder needs to find a way to get the best out of Coutts first of all, and then in the same side as Fleck.

Glad of the win, but we need to use the ball better consistently. Too many times the final ball was poor, or we just passed the ball to nobody. Lot of work to do.

I thought he was dreadful again on Saturday as was basham ... the number of balls he got wrong and just smacked into touch ... they both looked like Sunday league players

Looks good on the ball, but produces nothing. Get rid!

If only there was a thread where people could discuss Paul Coutts....

http://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/coutts.48721
hold on a second - is that right?

hardly my job to stand up for Grizzly blade but the other thread is in rumours and based on twitter activity that he's off. This thread is on a totally different topic.

FWIW, I thought he was exactly the same as every other game. Great first touch, moves the ball well as far as 15 to 20 yards. Too slow and weak if he tries to run with it, and his passing over long distance was crap on Saturday ( I haven't really seen him do much of it previously). He did however last 90 minutes, although like many he was blowing out his arse at the end and he even put in a couple of decent tackles.

Not really bothered if he stays or goes, but we really need to sign a hard nasty bastard in their who can play a bit

For me he was the one who made us tick,set us off..took the ball under pressure,turned away from opposition players and passed it off to a United shirt in space,.always looking to take the ball and link the play,and did a decent enough job without the ball.

Three in central midfield with at least one athletic player in there. At least one genuine winger who offers width and goals.

And what does coutts offer? And would you play that system with the players we have.

My personal opinion is that he doesn't tackle, doesn't create and doesn't score goals, so he is a bit of a luxury. I wanted to see him and fleck as the two sitting players and maybe it would work better if he had more pace and movement in front of him. He could do with being fitter too. I think we can all see he had the technical side of the game and maybe if he was fitter he would be fitter in mind too

And what does coutts offer? And would you play that system with the players we have.

My personal opinion is that he doesn't tackle, doesn't create and doesn't score goals, so he is a bit of a luxury. I wanted to see him and fleck as the two sitting players and maybe it would work better if he had more pace and movement in front of him. He could do with being fitter too. I think we can all see he had the technical side of the game and maybe if he was fitter he would be fitter in mind too

It's not all about producing goals, assists etc. Kevin McDonald didn't do too much of either. He's got more ability than anyone in our squad and we should be exploiting that ability, at least in home games, to help us keep possession and build attacks through midfield - without him we're not good enough at doing this. Having someone in there who can shrug off a challenge, turn into space and make time on the ball is very valuable, defensively and offensively.

With our current players I'd like to see a midfield three of Coutts, Basham and Fleck. Two very good technical players and one with a good engine who is also competent technically. Key to this working though would be what we have out wide - because the current full backs don't offer enough going forward to enable us to play with three forwards/two inverted wingers and we don't have the pace and movement up front to play through the middle all the time. We'd need at least one good outlet out wide, maybe it could be Chapman.

It's not all about producing goals, assists etc. Kevin McDonald didn't do too much of either. He's got more ability than anyone in our squad and we should be exploiting that ability, at least in home games, to help us keep possession and build attacks through midfield - without him we're not good enough at doing this. Having someone in there who can shrug off a challenge, turn into space and make time on the ball is very valuable, defensively and offensively.

With our current players I'd like to see a midfield three of Coutts, Basham and Fleck. Two very good technical players and one with a good engine who is also competent technically. Key to this working though would be what we have out wide - because the current full backs don't offer enough going forward to enable us to play with three forwards/two inverted wingers and we don't have the pace and movement up front to play through the middle all the time. We'd need at least one good outlet out wide, maybe it could be Chapman.

You're not seriously comparing McDonald to Coutts?

Akin to comparing Skol with real ale.

First time I've ever seen him really get stuck in. 1 good game (no end product still mind) doesn't make up for 50 poor ones.

I won't be surprised if he leaves before Thursday.

First time I've ever seen him really get stuck in. 1 good game (no end product still mind) doesn't make up for 50 poor ones.

I won't be surprised if he leaves before Thursday.

Yeah Clough must want another one of his bum chums.

I take it we are hoping to draw every game 0-0 then. That midfield is nowhere near good enough even with 3 central midfielders. We need to drop Basham and Coutts and get a Luke Murphy type to play along side Fleck. I actually don't mind the idea of 5 in midfield, but not with those 3 in midfield. We'd be passing it sideways for 90 minutes.

In my opinion, there are no goals in your midfield. Personally I would like Basham in the back 4 and this has a lot to do with that he can bring the ball out from the back (like Maguire) and we miss that. That adds an extra midfielder when we have possession, which when playing at home brings more players out for the opposition creating space. It's been badly missed for the last 2 years.

You're not seriously comparing McDonald to Coutts?

Akin to comparing Skol with real ale.

Why does mentioning someone else in the same post always have to mean you're making a direct ability comparison?!

I take it we are hoping to draw every game 0-0 then. That midfield is nowhere near good enough even with 3 central midfielders. We need to drop Basham and Coutts and get a Luke Murphy type to play along side Fleck. I actually don't mind the idea of 5 in midfield, but not with those 3 in midfield. We'd be passing it sideways for 90 minutes.

Fleck is more than capable of passing it forward, and while through balls aren't Coutts' main strength his accurate and crisp passes often put team mates in good positions - this is where having a good winger would come into it. The main problem with that midfield would be goals and defending, not ball retention and creativity.

In my opinion, there are no goals in your midfield. Personally I would like Basham in the back 4 and this has a lot to do with that he can bring the ball out from the back (like Maguire) and we miss that. That adds an extra midfielder when we have possession, which when playing at home brings more players out for the opposition creating space. It's been badly missed for the last 2 years.

I agree with that. Not sure I'd want Basham at CB but we do miss having someone carrying the ball out. I would want to replace Basham in midfield though, my preference would then be moving him to RB.

Why does mentioning someone else in the same post always have to mean you're making a direct ability comparison?!

Fleck is more than capable of passing it forward, and while through balls aren't Coutts' main strength his accurate and crisp passes often put team mates in good positions - this is where having a good winger would come into it. The main problem with that midfield would be goals and defending, not ball retention and creativity.

I agree with that. Not sure I'd want Basham at CB but we do miss having someone carrying the ball out. I would want to replace Basham in midfield though, my preference would then be moving him to RB.

Don't get your answer. There would be a problem with goals but not with creating?? Disagree about the defensive side as well. That midfield would be more defensive than offensive. Just to add that's in my opinion by the way.

Don't get your answer. There would be a problem with goals but not with creating?? Disagree about the defensive side as well. That midfield would be more defensive than offensive. Just to add that's in my opinion by the way.
But you don't know who the Basham replacement is ,I agree with Ricky a lot here and can see what he is wanting ,very similar to the style and personnel that I want.

But you don't know who the Basham replacement is ,I agree with Ricky a lot here and can see what he is wanting ,very similar to the style and personnel that I want.

All about opinions mate. He had Basham in the midfield though. The only way I'd have him in there is at the side of Fleck and an attack minded midfielder who scores goals. Coutts I just don't rate. He keeps possession but slows play down as he passes sideways and backwards.

A problem with goals from midfield, not necessarily the team, as I think with the amount of possession we'd have with that midfield we would create chances. I do fancy Fleck to get a few though.

Without the ball it could struggle defensively, with the ball it would be positive if not that offensive. Get a more natural midfielder than Basham and it would be defensively stronger. I'd like someone like Morsy at the base of it. A solid, tenacious natural midfielder with good technical ability.

All about opinions mate. He had Basham in the midfield though. The only way I'd have him in there is at the side of Fleck and an attack minded midfielder who scores goals. Coutts I just don't rate. He keeps possession but slows play down as he passes sideways and backwards.
I disagree completely with that, he keeps possession for us and moves the ball quickly ,if the players get chance to play together they will get used to each other and it will get faster and more accurately. As for Basham he would a back up centre back for me ,he can play there and is good at bringing the ball out ,something we have missed badly since Maguire left. I think there will be a signing in the next few days to facilitate all this ,you cant have enough 'footballers' in a team ,hope we get one anyway.

I find it weird how popular opinion dictates who and who is not a good player.

Yesterday, Done, Scougall and Sharp were clearly the best performers but they are still deemed to be shit.

Coutts on the other hand has had some weird revival amongst many Unitedites and I wonder why. Yes he was ok against Southend when everyone else was terrible but he hardly shone on Saturday.

Yesterday, Done, Scougall and Sharp were clearly the best performers but they are still deemed to be shit.

Coutts on the other hand has had some weird revival amongst many Unitedites and I wonder why. Yes he was ok against Southend when everyone else was terrible but he hardly shone on Saturday.
Different people see a different game ,I don't think any of those 3 played well ,in fact I thought Sharp was poor ,best 3 for me were OConnell ,Wright and Basham.

Interesting points.

I would say there is absolutely nothing wrong with a sideways or backwards pass. And from what I saw from Coutts was him getting the ball off the defence, often in a tight area, and more often than not keeping possession of the ball. He would move it on, then make some movement to get it back again.
He looked sharper and eager to receive the ball, and played long balls as well as short.

Granted, many of the longer passes didn't find their target, and he doesn't offer a goal threat. However, any player is capable of scoring, and with confidence and a consistent run in there it might change that.
He showed enough in that game to show he can do it. What he might need is a run in the team, settled partners and to work on partnerships with the forwards.

I still want to see more movement, and shorter sharper passes through midfield. I liked seeing Scougall making runs forwards, but he is a little lightweight. Shooting as mentioned elsewhere also needs a lot of work.

As we are now, I want to see the following midfield working in a five.
Coutts, Fleck, Basham....with Bash sat in front of the back four. Coutts and Fleck having free roles to just pass and move.
Scougall, Duffy as part of the midfield, and again with a free part to find space and run at players.

Obviously this means we either go three at the back and two up front, or retain four and go with one up top. I like 3-5-2 so would give that a go. Done has to be one based on work rate, and I would like to see genuine pace their too.

Different people see a different game ,I don't think any of those 3 played well ,in fact I thought Sharp was poor ,best 3 for me were OConnell ,Wright and Basham.

Wright I agree with.

The rest? Well I'm currently very drunk so I won't do well in any argument.

I have no agendas, I have always thought Coutts to be a decent player, often not performing for whatever reason. Much like Jamie Murphy was and many others in the game who go through such spells.
Other than score from a beautiful cross for a tap in....what else did Sharp offer?
Nowhere near enough to be considered one of three of the best performers.

Scougall was good, Duffy was good second half. Would like to see passing stats for the team, accuracy and distance travelled but I suspect Coutts was up there. Done ran his nuts off.

The back four was shaky still.

Back
Top Bottom