My MOTM

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Is Mceverly, absolutely outstanding at left back, best defender and player on that pitch today, saved us many a time by just making a really simple tackle which made such a big difference.

Additionally, his distribution improved dramatically from the Blackpool game.

Furthermore K.Wallace is a great young left back and is lacking the ability not to panic and be controlled at times and calling for the ball. Also he's lacking the ability to attack, while Mceverly was superb in his support play, tackling and everything that's required of a Left Back.

On here some say Reed was our MOTM but for me he was poor at times but then again did show some promise and I know he's only 17, however he wasn't the MOTM because firstly every single ball he played was the simple option which at times was by far the worst, at one point Basham passed it to him and he passed it straight back even though Basham was surrounded by 3-4 players.

Furthermore because he made the simple passes he failed to see runs from Billy sharp and instead decide to pass it to another player which again was a pass which was very predictable and was easy for the Swindon players to read.

Additionally he was negative with his play which frustrated me at times passing backwards rather than forward or running it into space.

He also lost the ball in crucial areas where swindon should of done better but luckily didn't.

For me this opinion of Reed being MOTM was created by people listening to the radio and the people there saw that Mcevely was the MOTM.

Again this is not me saying Reed is a bad player because he's not, he's great but more me backing Mcevely's corner because you all underate him and as we saw today Swindon fans don't.

Thank you

Ashton :)

P.S
If you weren't at the game and are basing your opinion on what you heard on the radio please don't bother trying to argue that Reed was MOTM.

First, I thought JMac did indeed play well, as I thought he did numerous times last season before his confidence took a knock, and silly mistakes set in.

But as for Reed, I think you are underestimating the value of having a player constantly finding space and being available, thereby repeatedly taking pressure off the defence. During the last couple seasons, we have achieved this - but only when playing five in midfield, when we had an extra man. Yesterday, we play a two man midfield, yet our teenager played a pivotal role in allowing the team to control the midfield, away from home, against a promotion rival. A great and very mature performance.

Finally, Keith Edwards will always be a hero to me as a player. I have no idea what the radio commentary said, however when I have heard him as a pundit, I do find his analysis overly simplistic, and slightly annoying!

Mceveley was 1st class. My MOTM. The whole back four worked hard for than clean sheet. That's 1 goal in 4 league games now since the Gillingham debacle credit to them all.

Your views of J-Mac may not go down well with some on here, but I think he's a good player and would have him over 'rash challenge' Bob any day of the week.

I think we are seeing a very close competition between J-Mac and Jose for the coveted 'Scapegoat of the Season'.

Furthermore, young Adams has had one good game so far and struggled in every other, but you will not find him getting any grief, and quite rightly I might add, but only because I assume that he's viewed as the 'new messiah' and therefore can do no wrong. J-Mac, on the other hand, made a few mistakes in games he played whilst still injured and will get pilloried for the rest of his blades career.

Therein lies the secret to the logic of the average football fan.

Is Mceverly, absolutely outstanding at left back, best defender and player on that pitch today, saved us many a time by just making a really simple tackle which made such a big difference.

Furthermore K.Wallace is a great young left back and is lacking the ability not to panic and be controlled at times and calling for the ball. Also he's lacking the ability to attack, while Mceverly was superb in his support play, tackling and everything that's required of a Left Back.

On here some say Reed was our MOTM but for me he was poor at times but then again did show some promise and I know he's only 17, however he wasn't the MOTM because firstly every single ball he played was the simple option which at times was by far the worst, at one point Basham passed it to him and he passed it straight back even though Basham was surrounded by 3-4 players.

Furthermore because he made the simple passes he failed to see runs from Billy sharp and instead decide to pass it to another player which again was a pass which was very predictable and was easy for the Swindon players to read.

Additionally he was negative with his play which frustrated me at times passing backwards rather than forward or running it into space.

He also lost the ball in crucial areas where swindon should of done better but luckily didn't.

For me this opinion of Reed being MOTM was created by people listening to the radio and the people there saw that Mcevely was the MOTM.

Again this is not me saying Reed is a bad player because he's not, he's great but more me backing Mcevely's corner because you all underate him and as we saw today Swindon fans don't.

Thank you

P.S
If you weren't at the game and are basing your opinion on what you heard on the radio please don't bother trying to argue that Reed was MOTM.

Thanks for this. Always good to hear from those who were there. I tried listening on RS but had to switch off due to Keith's incessant moaning. The game's not changed since my day.

Reed, I think is playing under instruction. I imagine he's adopted the Baxter role analysed in depth by Bergen Blade recently. I think playing the ball to players under pressure is part of modern football. WHF Jr Sr's team do it (and do it pretty well) all the time and they're a fairly typical junior team.

I don't think the purpose of the pass is to play the killer ball, it's just to move the opposition around, keep them on their toes, and maybe slightly off balance as a unit, retain possession, and if someone switches off then you can work it forwards with a greater chance of success.

Regardless, great to hear good news about McEveley. He did a decent interview as well, hopefully growing into the role of captain. Let's see.

First, I thought JMac did indeed play well, as I thought he did numerous times last season before his confidence took a knock, and silly mistakes set in.

But as for Reed, I think you are underestimating the value of having a player constantly finding space and being available, thereby repeatedly taking pressure off the defence. During the last couple seasons, we have achieved this - but only when playing five in midfield, when we had an extra man. Yesterday, we play a two man midfield, yet our teenager played a pivotal role in allowing the team to control the midfield, away from home, against a promotion rival. A great and very mature performance.

Finally, Keith Edwards will always be a hero to me as a player. I have no idea what the radio commentary said, however when I have heard him as a pundit, I do find his analysis overly simplistic, and slightly annoying!

Spot on about McEveley, Reed, and Edwards (hero as a player villain as a pundit - I had to switch off at one point).

I think Edwards is brilliant and I love his honesty and critisism.

So different from John Pearson who hardly ever critisism the manager, club or players.
However I believe he was working for SWFC at one bit so no wonder he's careful what he says.

Edwards commentary is the reason I switch on.

It's the reason I also like deadbeats reports.
Even when we've played great he always tries to balamce it by looking for negatives.

But as for Reed, I think you are underestimating the value of having a player constantly finding space and being available, thereby repeatedly taking pressure off the defence.

Stuart McCall was superb at that, probably the best I've seen. Despite his advanced years when he was at the Lane he always made himself available to the man on the ball. As you say it is an underrated asset.

Thank you

P.S

I'm basing this on radio commentary Ashton. I only caught a bit of the first half commentary and heard Keith criticising Reeds passing. Later caught the last quarter of an hour and heard Giddings and Keith praising Reedy and Bash. You are quite critical of certain aspects of Reeds play but were obviously there. He has been under-performing a bit this season, presume that despite what you say, there was an improvement from him in his overall performance yesterday ?.

Your views of J-Mac may not go down well with some on here, but I think he's a good player and would have him over 'rash challenge' Bob any day of the week.

I think we are seeing a very close competition between J-Mac and Jose for the coveted 'Scapegoat of the Season'.

Sorry, JM's performances in the past have been inconsistent and he deserved criticism, however, like Collo, the new management set up seems to have brought big improvements. Whether those two can continue this throughout the season we will see in due course, hopefully they can.

Funny that we play McEverely in his actual position and he performs better. It was Clough who moved him to centre back.

Thank you

P.S

Whilst I didn't go to the game, I am not going to argue that Reed was MOTM or not.

I will argue that you do not understand a midfield of 4 and a team that undoubtedly played to orders as decreed by Adkins - a point mentioned in his post match interview. Our core strength yesterday was very similar to Monty and Jags in midfield when we went up under Warnock - solid as anything, never spectacular but allowing others to play around to do all the fancy stuff.

If you want to stand yourself up on a pedestal, then be prepared for some to try and rock that pedestal.

Thanks for the article btw - it was interesting to read and a definite insight into the character of a poster.

UTB

last season
we had seperate defence midfield attack

this season after assessing the debris of the gillingham embarrassment Adkins has a full team , 10 outfield players linking over lapping supporting
full backs moving up midfield filling the space left , cross overs, players creating the triangles to give passing options

as sky said on opening
its a whole new ball game

Thank you

P.S
I was at the game. I wasnt keen on having Reed in CM in a 4-4-2 formation but he proved me wrong. Yes, he played a few misplaced passes and gave the ball away once or twice but we saw more of him than anyone else on the pitch. He was always available for a pass and closed down Swindon's play in the middle a lot. would you agree than based on yesterday's performance that he is more energetic than Baxter has ever done in any of his games for us?

Reed was my MOTM, McEverley was 2nd, Campbell-Ryce was third

Would still prefer Baxter in this role, as he has a better range of passing, and is stronger on the ball. But he is out of the team due to his own stupidity, and after his performance yesterday, Reed is now the man in possession

What I find annoying about our Keef is his determination during commentary to cover every angle so that no matter what the outcome, he can always maintain how he was always right

Other than that tho, he's one of us

I was at the game. I wasnt keen on having Reed in CM in a 4-4-2 formation but he proved me wrong. Yes, he played a few misplaced passes and gave the ball away once or twice but we saw more of him than anyone else on the pitch. He was always available for a pass and closed down Swindon's play in the middle a lot. would you agree than based on yesterday's performance that he is more energetic than Baxter has ever done in any of his games for us?

Reed was my MOTM, McEverley was 2nd, Campbell-Ryce was third

But which useless bastard was 11th?

Glad to hear McEveley had a good game v Swindon. Like many on here I've been very critical of him at centre-back, and I'd say justifiably so, given the number of mistakes he made in that position last year. As a left-back though I've always thought he was fine in that position. Talked to a Derby fan during the summer and he said he always rated McEveley for them... at left back. In many ways Clough did McEveley no favours whatsoever continually playing him out of position.

As for Edwards, always rated him as a striker at the Lane and without always agreeing with him, enjoy listening to his commentary on RS. He calls it as he sees it and you know if a player, manager or the team gets praise then they must have had a good game.

Some of Reed's have been appalling. What did he deserve?....

The same Pinchy, bit rough on a young lad but there are plenty knocking Diego so why should it be different for him. Lets not carried away now that JM has picked up form, he has had some shockers. Anyway not going to get in a lather about it, teams playing well, everyone's happy.

Thank you

P.S
Reed and Mceverley were both great - and I was there.

Hey Pinchy, let it drop re Reed. Nobody, not a single fan, is going to ever forget your views on the lad at the tender age of 17 and even now at just turned 18. If you are wrong it will be momentous for you but nobody will be more delighted than you as a blade I'm sure.

I'm basing this on radio commentary Ashton. I only caught a bit of the first half commentary and heard Keith criticising Reeds passing. Later caught the last quarter of an hour and heard Giddings and Keith praising Reedy and Bash. You are quite critical of certain aspects of Reeds play but were obviously there. He has been under-performing a bit this season, presume that despite what you say, there was an improvement from him in his overall performance yesterday ?.

Edwards is the only pundit I know who gets more airtime in a match than the commentator, Giddings must take a pack up lunch to eat during the game, in fact I'm sure he goes for the beers while Edwards goes on and on and on and - .......

Back
Top Bottom