McCabe, our plight and the apologists ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Despite scepticism from McCabe apologists on here, most vehemently in my case from SBT, I feel that this man is most responsible for our dire plight and that the reason for this is evidenced in what I feel is an erudite analysis of his intentions at United offered by Bell and Armstrong in their book ‘Fit and Proper’ (2010). We have always in my lifetime of supporting the Blades been a selling club – I experienced this particularly at the time chairman Wragg sanctioned the sale of the best centre forward I ever saw in a Blades’ shirt – Mick Jones – for a paltry £100K to Leeds; a sale the excellent Peter Howard, Blades’ reporter at the Star then, eloquently opposed for meaning the systemic selling of our ‘best’ for ‘inferior’ replacements. What seems to have changed under McCabe is, like capitalism under neoliberalism, this systemic process has been exacerbated: the sale of both Kyles at the same time setting the precedent for a process that has continued through to Che Adams (I’m less inclined to include Brayford here, who seems to have clearly lost his love of us). What Bell and Armstrong suggest seems to chime with my feelings. Under McCabe, “Sheffield United had become merely a subsidiary of [his] worldwide business empire. United were essentially a 21st century ‘factory team’ and, as Jason Rockett revealed in 2009, the footballing arm of an international property development company. Many British football clubs are owned by overseas investors but, uniquely, McCabe used his football to promote his global business interests” (page 378 SBT, in case you want to re-read this). According to Bell and Armstrong, none of McCabe’s ventures – Ferencvaros, Chengdu Five Bull, Central Coast Mariners (I would maybe add the purchase of our stadium, training facilities, hotel development?) – appeared to benefit the football team. Indeed, for example, “McCabe reportedly became personally wealthier to the tune of £150 million from the Valed deal [part of the Central Coast Mariners’ deal) … “ (page 378). How SBT has the audacity to claim my representation of Bell and Armstrong’s assessment of McCabe is false is beyond belief – unless he is a cousin. What is more concerning, however, is that, given this assessment of McCabe – and what I feel is a plausible explanation of our current plight – what’s to be done to end his reign at the Lane, given his current stranglehold over the club? What seems certain is that, unless he changes his priorities immediately, and supports Wilder with the financial resources to bring in some quality in the next week, we are heading for the fourth tier in a handcart …

For me, the most troubling aspect of our chairman's actions off the pitch is that his football investment seemed to go hand in hand with him making a lot of money from property deals.

At one stage, every country we'd invested football money in also magically seemed to have some connection with his business interests. A cynic might say he was using the football club to raise his own personal profile and generating a lot of personal wealth with it.

• Banned
Is this better ...

Despite scepticism from McCabe apologists on here, most vehemently in my case from SBT, I feel that this man is most responsible for our dire plight and that the reason for this is evidenced in what I feel is an erudite analysis of his intentions at United offered by Bell and Armstrong in their book ‘Fit and Proper’ (2010).

We have always in my lifetime of supporting the Blades been a selling club – I experienced this particularly at the time chairman Wragg sanctioned the sale of the best centre forward I ever saw in a Blades’ shirt – Mick Jones – for a paltry £100K to Leeds; a sale the excellent Peter Howard, Blades’ reporter at the Star then, eloquently opposed for meaning the systemic selling of our ‘best’ for ‘inferior’ replacements.

What seems to have changed under McCabe is, like capitalism under neoliberalism, this systemic process has been exacerbated: the sale of both Kyles at the same time setting the president for a process that has continued through to Che Adams (I’m less inclined to include Brayford here, who seems to have clearly lost his love of us).

What Bell and Armstrong suggest seems to chime with my feelings. Under McCabe, “Sheffield United had become merely a subsidiary of [his] worldwide business empire. United were essentially a 21st century ‘factory team’ and, as Jason Rockett revealed in 2009, the footballing arm of an international property development company. Many British football clubs are owned by overseas investors but, uniquely, McCabe used his football to promote his global business interests” (page 378 SBT, in case you want to re-read this).

According to Bell and Armstrong, none of McCabe’s ventures – Ferencvaros, Chengdu Five Bull, Central Coast Mariners (maybe add the purchase of our stadium, training facilities, hotel development?) – appeared to benefit the football team. Indeed, “McCabe reportedly became personally wealthier to the tune of £150 million from the Valed deal [part of the Central Coast Mariners’ deal) … “ (page 378).

How SBT has the audacity to claim my representation of Bell and Armstrong’s assessment of McCabe is false is beyond belief – unless he is a cousin. What is more concerning, however, is that, given this assessment of McCabe – and what I feel is a plausible explanation of our current plight – what’s to be done to end his reign at the Lane, given his current stranglehold over the club? What seems certain is that, unless he changes his priorities immediately, and supports Wilder with the financial resources to bring in some quality in the next week, we are heading for the fourth tier in a handcart …

Whatever people may say.

The reality is that we are still in league 1. had a terrible season just gone. Have sold or got rid of any of our saleable assets over the last ten years & are now bottom of league 1.

You cannot argue with those facts.

Any decent player since the play off final against Burnley has been sold and we are now skint & bottom of league 1.

Good post.

The only argumeents 'the apologists' have is that we've arrived here without malice...the facts speak for themselves.

Is this better ...

Despite scepticism from McCabe apologists on here, most vehemently in my case from SBT, I feel that this man is most responsible for our dire plight and that the reason for this is evidenced in what I feel is an erudite analysis of his intentions at United offered by Bell and Armstrong in their book ‘Fit and Proper’ (2010).

We have always in my lifetime of supporting the Blades been a selling club – I experienced this particularly at the time chairman Wragg sanctioned the sale of the best centre forward I ever saw in a Blades’ shirt – Mick Jones – for a paltry £100K to Leeds; a sale the excellent Peter Howard, Blades’ reporter at the Star then, eloquently opposed for meaning the systemic selling of our ‘best’ for ‘inferior’ replacements.

What seems to have changed under McCabe is, like capitalism under neoliberalism, this systemic process has been exacerbated: the sale of both Kyles at the same time setting the president for a process that has continued through to Che Adams (I’m less inclined to include Brayford here, who seems to have clearly lost his love of us).

What Bell and Armstrong suggest seems to chime with my feelings. Under McCabe, “Sheffield United had become merely a subsidiary of [his] worldwide business empire. United were essentially a 21st century ‘factory team’ and, as Jason Rockett revealed in 2009, the footballing arm of an international property development company. Many British football clubs are owned by overseas investors but, uniquely, McCabe used his football to promote his global business interests” (page 378 SBT, in case you want to re-read this).

According to Bell and Armstrong, none of McCabe’s ventures – Ferencvaros, Chengdu Five Bull, Central Coast Mariners (maybe add the purchase of our stadium, training facilities, hotel development?) – appeared to benefit the football team. Indeed, “McCabe reportedly became personally wealthier to the tune of £150 million from the Valed deal [part of the Central Coast Mariners’ deal) … “ (page 378).

How SBT has the audacity to claim my representation of Bell and Armstrong’s assessment of McCabe is false is beyond belief – unless he is a cousin. What is more concerning, however, is that, given this assessment of McCabe – and what I feel is a plausible explanation of our current plight – what’s to be done to end his reign at the Lane, given his current stranglehold over the club? What seems certain is that, unless he changes his priorities immediately, and supports Wilder with the financial resources to bring in some quality in the next week, we are heading for the fourth tier in a handcart …

Much better.. B+

Is this better ...

Not sure whether the OP was aimed at McCabe or just trying to pull SBT's hair in the play ground?

Whatever people may say.

The reality is that we are still in league 1. had a terrible season just gone. Have sold or got rid of any of our saleable assets over the last ten years & are now bottom of league 1.

Any decent player since the play off final against Burnley has been sold and we are now skint & bottom of league 1.
Look on the bright side Kev, our club can be used as subject matter for business studies examination papers for years to come to demonstrate how to consistently do it wrong over and over again. And Simon McCabe is still there to keep telling people they've realised mistakes have been made and we will endeavour to keep making them.

Whatever people may say.

This is it!

We're skint, have no assets (apart from ground which doesn't actually belong to club anyway!) and when attendances drop off that'll be us well and truly buggered.

Talking about the ground as an asset...

This is it!

We're skint, have no assets (apart from ground which doesn't actually belong to club anyway!) and when attendances drop off that'll be us well and truly buggered.

Talking about the ground as an asset...

Where's BeightonBlade when you need him?

McCabe has been looking for a buyer for the best part of 10 years. When he does find one it is possible that investment above the current level might be available and the board's competence might improve.
Until then the only alternative to McCabe family ownership is liquidation and the Northern Counties East League.

Apologies if that is apology.

Not again, why liquidation? Do you mean administration? And why would we go into administration when our debt is to the owners?

The club has no/little debt...McCabe cashed the debts in owed to his companies in exchange for the ground, hotel etc etc...when Princey joined..

The club runs a ( relatively) small operating loss like most other clubs...

Not again, why liquidation? Do you mean administration? And why would we go into administration when our debt is to the owners?

The only way cut short the McCabe family strategy of hanging on in the hope of getting something reasonable back for their investment is for us to withdraw our funding through the gate. That might end in a new buyer or it might end in liquidation. As you say Administration isn't an option for us.

The only way cut short the McCabe family strategy of hanging on in the hope of getting something reasonable back for their investment is for us to withdraw our funding through the gate. That might end in a new buyer or it might end in liquidation. As you say Administration isn't an option for us.

What 'investment'..?
....did they expect a monetary return for supporting the club?

All the evidence seems to suggest that they do.

Well, the McCabe's companies are receiving nearly £400k a year in rental from the club so that a start eh? ( rumours suggest this has gone up to £1 million this year, which must affect Wilder's budget!?!?)

In addition, McCabes company received the ground, hotel, etc etc for around £34 million of owed debts...That's not bad when you think of the actual value of the assets eh?

Well, the McCabe's companies are receiving nearly £400k a year in rental from the club so that a start eh? ( rumours suggest this has gone up to £1 million this year, which must affect Wilder's budget!?!?)

In addition, McCabes company received the ground, hotel, etc etc for around £34 million of owed debts...That's not bad when you think of the actual value of the assets eh?

Assets won't be worth near that.

What is the value of those assets?

Back
Top Bottom