Football League deal on Channel 5

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

mattbianco1

Forum Royalty
Reaction score
Found this on Swindon's website (no mention on ours)

http://mobile.swindontownfc.co.uk/n...th-channel-5-and-itn-productions-2442105.aspx

For the unclicky ....

THE Football League is set to transform the viewing experience for fans of its clubs following the signing of two ground-breaking broadcasting agreements with Channel 5 and ITN Productions and the expansion of a fibre-optic network linking its 72 clubs.
For the first time ever, highlights of Sky Bet Football League matches will be shown in a prime time Saturday night slot from the beginning of next season, after the League signed a new three-year agreement for its free-to-air highlights with Channel 5. Match footage, including every single goal, from matches in all three divisions of the Sky Bet Football League will be broadcast in a new 90 minute show aired at 9.00pm every week. Channel 5 will also broadcast highlights of the Capital One Cup and Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

The Football League's Chief Executive, Shaun Harvey, said: “This is an exceptional opportunity for The Football League to work with a broadcaster that will schedule our matches in a prime time slot. It will take our games to a wider, younger audience by giving us the chance to be first in front of fans on a Saturday night.”

If it's on Channel 5 I expect it to be even worse than when ITV had the Premier League highlights.

Not that I'll watch it anyway, I don't watch The Football League Show (or Match Of The Day) so moving it to a prime time slot won't make any difference at all.

No difference whatsoever, not any longer when you factor in ads, will still be show 5 minutes of fashionable championship club then just goals from everywhere else

I hate to say it, but Chiles is looking for work...
tumblr_lhgkuiB4Lz1qb2rq4.gif

If it's on Channel 5 I expect it to be even worse than when ITV had the Premier League highlights.

Not that I'll watch it anyway, I don't watch The Football League Show (or Match Of The Day) so moving it to a prime time slot won't make any difference at all.

Have to agree, C5 won't be digging deep. It will be cheap, not cheerful and likely very cheesy.

That is good news for the football league, the time slot they had on bbc was bad. I can barley get through match of the day without nodding off, I rarely even attempt to watch the League show. Hopefully they get a good format out, which fairly shares the spotlight (unlike MOTD), find a good presenter and I might just bite the hook.

It was pretty much confirmed as happening back in December: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/dec/15/football-league-highlights-bbc-channel-5

I'm probably in the minority but I thought the BBC did alright with the FLS, and I thought Manish was a decent host of it. Here's hoping Channel 5 can depart from their decidedly shite history to-date in their football coverage and produce something better.

yep agree with that........but 12 midnight? nail in the coffin. There were a few times when there was no premiership football and the Beeb STILL put it on at midnight !

Dear Auntie Beeb..........turn the light off and close the door on your way out.

Bring in the new.

UTB

The FLS was second best being on the same channel as MOTD. That said,C5s version will not be an hour and a half, it willhave at least 20 mins of adverts in it don't forget.

yep agree with that........but 12 midnight? nail in the coffin. There were a few times when there was no premiership football and the Beeb STILL put it on at midnight !

Dear Auntie Beeb..........turn the light off and close the door on your way out.

Bring in the new.

UTB

Tbh, I always watched it on iPlayer - something that till the BBC got hold of the highlights hadn't really been available to all.

I also watched it only on I-player. It allowed me to watch it when I want, and to skip all the analysis and comment. I do exactly the same with MOTD.

I've never tried "5 Player" but I fear the worst. I suspect it forces you to watch loads of adverts.

I'm really surprised so many people have reacted positively to the Football League Show going from BBC to Channel 5. It seems extremely unlikely that it's going to make it better.

Pray to god it's not Manish and god forbid Steve fucking Claridge. A prime time slot would just make them look like even bigger grade A twats than they already do.

Amen to that! Can I also add Leroy Rosenior to that too?
How about Warnock as a co-presenter alongside Charlie "I know f*** all about football but look good" Webster?

I also watched it only on I-player. It allowed me to watch it when I want, and to skip all the analysis and comment. I do exactly the same with MOTD.

I've never tried "5 Player" but I fear the worst. I suspect it forces you to watch loads of adverts.

I'm really surprised so many people have reacted positively to the Football League Show going from BBC to Channel 5. It seems extremely unlikely that it's going to make it better.
I'm not convinced it could get worse, it's an absolute dogs dinner of a show at a ridiculous hour of the day.

I'm not convinced it could get worse, it's an absolute dogs dinner of a show at a ridiculous hour of the day.

I suppose it depends what you want from it. I'm not interested in ex-pro's analysis so it doesn't matter to me whether that's good or bad - I just skip it.

Much of the criticism of the current programme seems to be that it only shows the goals from the lower division. Now, it may just be me, but do people really want to see 5 minutes of highlights of Shrewsbury v Tranmere? I don't. Just the goals is about right for me.

I'm also not interested in seeing more highlights from United's game, because I can get those on SheffieldUTube.

So for me, it's pretty much spot on.

I don't get all the hate for the football league show, would someone explain please?

Its horrendous. Steve Claridge and Leroy Rosenior are easily the worst pundits in the history of TV. They make Phil Neville look good.

Then there's one of the reporters who's voice just grates on your nerves. Not sure of his name but his tone and pitch make his sentences sound like they've been cut short.

Clem does a report each week which is quite interesting but that's it. God awful show.

Back
Top Bottom