Ffs grow up

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Jehovah

Reaction score
Take a look at @lambretta_blade's Tweet:

If it's abuse Deadman's way, I'm all for it. The bloke is a tool and is shit at his job.

It's still just my speculation but I do wonder if the quality of referees would improve if being a football referee weren't the single most miserable job in the world. I thought as a kid (obviously after I began to suspect I wasn't Pele junior) it must be great to get to travel to different grounds, meet players, managers, be involved with the big games. Soon realised that you take dog's abuse from the players, abuse from the managers, and more from the fans. Getting to the the pro level isn't about being the best ref, it's about being the type of person who doesn't think "fuck this" like anyone normal would.

Alright, getting a bit of stick from the fans while they're on the pitch is part and parcel, but no one should have to put up with a group of utter bellends following them and shouting abuse away from the ground.

It's still just my speculation but I do wonder if the quality of referees would improve if being a football referee weren't the single most miserable job in the world. I thought as a kid (obviously after I began to suspect I wasn't Pele junior) it must be great to get to travel to different grounds, meet players, managers, be involved with the big games. Soon realised that you take dog's abuse from the players, abuse from the managers, and more from the fans. Getting to the the pro level isn't about being the best ref, it's about being the type of person who doesn't think "fuck this" like anyone normal would.

Alright, getting a bit of stick from the fans while they're on the pitch is part and parcel, but no one should have to put up with a group of utter bellends following them and shouting abuse away from the ground.

They have to be able to put up with all that shit and then we wonder why they're such arrogant narcissists. If they didn't have that kind of personality type, they would crumble.

They have to be able to put up with all that shit and then we wonder why they're such arrogant narcissists. If they didn't have that kind of personality type, they would crumble.

More wild ass speculation from me: most refs come across as that kid in school that was a total arsehole, the weird one that almost seemed to enjoy getting picked on, and now relishes having his little shred of power of them. I know a couple of people that have done a bit of reffing and both packed in quick because of the shit they had to take.

More wild ass speculation from me: most refs come across as that kid in school that was a total arsehole, the weird one that almost seemed to enjoy getting picked on, and now relishes having his little shred of power of them. I know a couple of people that have done a bit of reffing and both packed in quick because of the shit they had to take.

My friend refs quite often too and is pretty good at it by all accounts (he's reffed Blades u18 v Man City u18 and he's only 22 himself).

He's also a bit of a cocky bastard and has the thickest skin imaginable because of his ego.

Sounds like enough evidence to throw him in the Twats thread...

There's nothing wrong with thick skin or a bit of arrogance. It's the ones that you see that seem to love it when they're in the middle of controversy.

Theres little doubt referees have a thankless task and are never going to please everyone. There will always be contentious decisions, some of which are difficult to decide even after slow motion/ multiple views. However the standards, particularly in the lower divisions seem to be plummeting and the inconsistencies alarming.
Refs would help themselves and gain far more fan respect if they occasionally held up there hands and admitted they got it wrong but you rarely get that now. Whether it's a directive or they are all fast becoming arrogant bastards I don't know.
I once went to an evening with Jeff Winter and even he hinted what we all know in that some refs do go into matches with certain opinions and a biased attitude towards a certain team.
The powers that be will tell you that they are all saintly and perfect though

I didn't have the best view of the red card incident, but I wasn't surprised when Deadman gave a red. His foot was off the ground and it connected with the player's leg. Under the rules it looked a red card offence. Their player could have had a red earlier for an out of control tackle, but the yellow was probably the correct decision.

There's nothing wrong with thick skin or a bit of arrogance. It's the ones that you see that seem to love it when they're in the middle of controversy.

You mean like Mike Dean.

If refs were more accountable for their shocking performances then I would not mind so much. A punishment for a crap refereeing performance in the Premier League is to demote them and inflict them on the Football League instead.

Some people have to take things too far. There are boundaries, and this is one that should never be crossed IMO.

You mean like Mike Dean.

If refs were more accountable for their shocking performances then I would not mind so much. A punishment for a crap refereeing performance in the Premier League is to demote them and inflict them on the Football League instead.

I sort of agree. The problem with disciplining referees though is that if you haven't got a whole list of replacements lined up then what are you achieving? Let's say you suspend a ref for three matches, who's taking his place? If you'd got better available you'd have already had them in.

he did give us a late penalty,maybe he's warming to us...

Imagine if he didn't give us that penalty FFS....

With all the ist's that are about surely that's refereeist and should be reported to the police cos it's not right.
Where are all the sandal wearing do-gooders?

I watched a game on my local pitch with 2 Sunday league teams, they cancelled each other out (ie they were both shit and couldn't put 2 passes together) but some of the supporters just stood there and called out every decision the ref gave. Hugely offensive and intimidating. I think the ref got £20 for that (talking to a team manager who said that was what they had to cough up). Seriously would anybody on here take 90 minutes of that sort of crap for £20?

Back
Top Bottom