Do we really need to recruit?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

stringjunior

A Stringer original
Reaction score
I've not been to a game yet this season so I'm not well placed to answer this question, but I have seen the results, and the positive talk on here, and I'm left wondering if it would be the end of the world if Adkins targets didn't materialise this transfer window?

I'm not suggesting we don't try to strengthen, but if the main targets don't come, do we go with sub-standard options or give it a miss for now?

Main worry is still cover at the back for me, and I think we'd be ok in midfield if Wallace was an option, but he's out yet again. Think another defender and midfielder should be the focus over the next few days.

Yesterday Nigel said that Reed and Basham were the only options he had for the center of the park.
I'm sure some other players could play there, and we have some injuries and suspensions but wearen't going to win the league with 2 central midfielders at times.
Once Brayford, Harris, Wallace and Kennedy are back we are sorted at the back, and as the new "follow follow" song tells you- we are covered up top as well.
Midfield however I'd love a Coady type season long loan.

Yes we do.

Adkins said we need to and he regularly stated the squad wasn't good enough to win promotion as it was (before the season kicked off). We were down to the bare bones in midfield yesterday and I wouldn't have fancied our chances had one of the centre halves got injured.

Would it be the end of the world - No

We'd have a serious chance of winning the league as we are.

It's just in an ideal world, another centre back would be good so we wouldn't have to play McEvely there. A midfielder should be second priority as Reed is looking good, and we of course have Wallace and Baxter. It's just Basham is the only one who can really play his role, so another enforcer who can play the ball well would be ideal.

I've not been to a game yet this season so I'm not well placed to answer this question, but I have seen the results, and the positive talk on here, and I'm left wondering if it would be the end of the world if Adkins targets didn't materialise this transfer window?

I'm not suggesting we don't try to strengthen, but if the main targets don't come, do we go with sub-standard options or give it a miss for now?

First thing what a bloody sensible post - in contrast to the we need to sign whoever stood out on the football league highlights this week and the week before and the week before. Seriously.

Anyway...

Fair question and one I'd thought of but five games in and a long season ahead the answer has to be Yes. We were down to our last pair of central midfielders yesterday, and if Edgar picks up an injury or suspension we could be exposed.

Also do we sign or loan?

I think part of Clough's remit was longer term player and squad development.

Sammon and Edgar, two key players are here on loan, cheaper than buying them but also shorter term.

A central midfielder (it'd be great if Coutts and Wqllace were reliable but I can't see it) and a centre half is where I'd be looking.

As others have said if Collins/Edgar get injured or Bash we are screwed.I heard Wallace was injured again yesterday, maybe it's time to give up the ghost on that one?

Yes.

But I am more concerned with the lack of activity of players moving out that are not going to feature in Adkins plans very much.

Is no one interested in any of our fringe players ?

If not why not ?

Our squad is top heavy numbers wise and this will need to be addressed. We can't keep on adding to the squad without a few going out first / at the same time.

This would give Adkins a bit more manoeuvrability in the market. I suspect we all know the areas that could do with reinforcements and am sure Adkins does too !

UTB.

Definitely need more options. Central Midfield as discussed, defensively maybe a squad player as back up for Collins and Edgar. I also wouldn't complain if we brought in a proven winger to replace Murphy as Adams is still young and raw and can't be relied on week in week out. Sammon has looked OK as a target man, but again it'd be nice to have another target man with a proven scoring record. I think that'd make the difference between play-off hopefulls and title favorites.

For me we defo need at least one more centre half, either to put pressure on the current cbs or better to replace Collins (nowt against Collo, he's good enough for this level but if you can get better in, do it). Kennedy would be fine for that role but with his injury record I think we need someone more reliable. I'd even take a bog standard, no nonsense Div 3 defender (ie someone like Butler), as part of the squad to fill in when needed.

For me we defo need at least one more centre half, either to put pressure on the current cbs or better to replace Collins (nowt against Collo, he's good enough for this level but if you can get better in, do it). Kennedy would be fine for that role but with his injury record I think we need someone more reliable. I'd even take a bog standard, no nonsense Div 3 defender (ie someone like Butler), as part of the squad to fill in when needed.

If we are serious for promotion , we cannot go for bog standard . We need players who can raise there game , every game , and that goes for every position , every player on the pitch.

The days have to go , when we were second rate , second best .

UTB

LBE I'd love United to bring in a quality centre back to partner Edgar, but for me it wouldn't be the end of the world if they ended up with just a decent back-up centre half for the current two (bog standard was probably the wrong choice of word, perhaps nowt-fancy would have been better ie someone like Butler or a 6ft 2" version of Matt Hill).

Main worry is still cover at the back for me, and I think we'd be ok in midfield if Wallace was an option, but he's out yet again. Think another defender and midfielder should be the focus over the next few days.
We still need a couple. Be silly not to sign anyone, we'd be risking it rather than being in a good position to go up

Well as we have nearly put out two different teams in a week NA probably thinks when everyone is fit he doesn't need to add to the squad in any great numbers. As others have said a CM and Central Defender would be nice. A goalkeeper if any doubts over Howards fitness.We don't need attacking options especially when Done and Flynn are fit

Yes we do and it doesn't mean what we have isn't good enough. I want us to be a team that demands and expects improvement...from those we have and those we can bring in. It's organic...it's growth...it's the one thing that good teams do and the one thing shit teams do not !!!

Not sure if I've ever mentioned it before but we need a CENTRE HALF.

Collins crys on an interview and is suddenly a first team starter again.

If a player like Collins is a first choice then that position is your weakness.

I mentioned on another thread that we finished 5th with a weaker defence, a weaker attack and a worse manager, and only one of the relegated teams could realistically do as well as the three who went up.

So no I don't think we need to recruit whatsoever to get promoted, not saying another CB wouldn't help, but I think we could do it comfortably without.

We definitely need cover at CH & CM, what I can't believe is that some on here still think Adams is a winger, he's not & I think the only reason NA is playing him there is coz he's the only option at the moment, when Matt Done is back i'd put him out wide & put Adams on the bench. Imagine Che coming on at the 60 minute mark when we need a goal at home against the bus parkers (& we're going to get 'em from here on in). Go 3 at the back & put Che in behind Sammon & Sharpy, we'd win more than we'd draw, & that's the difference between top 2& the lottery of the play offs.

Back
Top Bottom