"Didn't they used to be premier league..."

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SwissBlade

Reaction score
That was the comment from my Italian colleagues tonight when the conversation turned around to the Blades.

Played 6 a side tonight, obviously in my Blades home shirt from last year.

We had tea in the canteen after and they were asking all about the blades. Italians tend to know only Premier league, but they remember it well. "What division are they in?"

"Third" was my usual reply. And that's when they asked the question.

Told them we get nearly 20,000 fans every week and they almost fell off their chairs. Mentioned our recent cup success beating several premier league sides to the response "Ba, Ow is possible? In eetaly this never appen"

Obviously I mentioned Italy's next big star, Diego, never heard of him. There was no mention of Juve wanting him...

But the big thing, it's the Blades shirt. I know I mention this more than my hatred for Collins, but with a white shirt they wouldn't have a clue. They recognise the red and white Sheffield team. It sets us apart from the blue and white shite.

I've had so many of these conversations over the years and even as shit as things are now, there's still pride for being a Blade. If only our players, management and owners could really understand what being a blade is, we'd be alright.

Had similar when collecting tickets in Düsseldorf, guy looks at my passport and says "Stockport? They've got a good football team, yes?" to which I explain the concept of the conference north

I played 5-a-side with work colleagues in a Blades (red and white) shirt once. I got a bollocking because they didn't know whether I was on the 'colours' or the 'whites' team. I was on colours, obviously!

When I was in Germany a few weeks back we got talking to some Bayern fans after the game. They asked where abouts in England we were from and when we said Sheffield one of them said "Ah, Sheffield United. Division 2 now?". I said division 3 and he "No! I remember you in Premier League".

I was like "Yeah those days are over mate"

I played 5-aside in Newcastle a few years ago in a Blades shirt and got the shit kicked out of me. No, it's not a Sunderland top..

That was the comment from my Italian colleagues tonight when the conversation turned around to the Blades.

We had tea in the canteen after and they were asking all about the blades. Italians tend to know only Premier league, but they remember it well. "What division are they in?"

Told them we get nearly 20,000 fans every week and they almost fell off their chairs. Mentioned our recent cup success beating several premier league sides to the response "Ba, Ow is possible? In eetaly this never appen"

Obviously I mentioned Italy's next big star, Diego, never heard of him. There was no mention of Juve wanting him...

But the big thing, it's the Blades shirt. I know I mention this more than my hatred for Collins, but with a white shirt they wouldn't have a clue. They recognise the red and white Sheffield team. It sets us apart from the blue and white shite.

I've had so many of these conversations over the years and even as shit as things are now, there's still pride for being a Blade. If only our players, management and owners could really understand what being a blade is, we'd be alright.

Things are that bad we now have to tell people we get big crowds for such a shit team.

A) Give us our RED AND WHITE back - who really wants this shit we play in?
B) KM give Neil £3 mill to keep us in the PL - pillock.

UTB

GREEEDY BASTARDS - when they have to come up with some money spinning bollox like the "new" home kit.

I am annoyed by this !!!

UTB

Playing in a plain white shirt just emphasises what an actual embarrassment we've become.

Third division, squad full of utterly terrible players, a clueless manager making amateurish mistakes and a totally hopeless board. Topped off with a kit that could only belong on a landfill.

What a proud time to be a supporter of this club.

"..."Ba, Ow is possible? In eetaly this never appen" ...."

Swiss, are you sure they were Italian? That sounds more like French to me?

Bad enough we play in white shirts but we also have red shorts no wonder we play like Stevenage :eek: ................ save the season and give us our stripes back with black shorts.

Had similar when collecting tickets in Düsseldorf, guy looks at my passport and says "Stockport? They've got a good football team, yes?" to which I explain the concept of the conference north

Hahahahahaha I hope they end up in the Evostick Northern Prem League...biggest bunch of deluded 'we're too big and good for this league' egotistical fooktard fans ive come across in the Conference North! Totally deserve to be where they are!

Ok, they have a few genuine old skool lifelongs who dont deserve that brush tarring but they have a big element who do!

Bit harsh JR - we have a lot of sympathy for fans of underachieving clubs run by incompetent directors - anyway, what is the current answer to the popular quiz question 'what is the closest football league ground to the river Mersey'? We need them back or it just doesn't work.

I actually thought those white shirts with the red pinstripes you wore against us in the Cup was your away strip!!!! YIKES!! Way to go against tradition and get the fans backs up even more aye! It just helps to alienate you away from what you know and love the club youve grown up supporting *shakes head*

I actually thought those white shirts with the red pinstripes you wore against us in the Cup was your away strip!!!! YIKES!! Way to go against tradition and get the fans backs up even more aye! It just helps to alienate you away from what you know and love the club youve grown up supporting *shakes head*

It was based on the original kit to mark the clubs anniversary, a nice nod to history. It's only a one-season thing.

Something I've tried explaining to this lot over and fucking over to no avail.

It is a well known fact that big time fucking about with your kit is asking for trouble. Many clubs have discovered this to their cost.

Bit harsh JR - we have a lot of sympathy for fans of underachieving clubs run by incompetent directors - anyway, what is the current answer to the popular quiz question 'what is the closest football league ground to the river Mersey'? We need them back or it just doesn't work.

Tranmere?

I agree with your sentiments regards clubs run by incompetent directors..sadly theres too many of those to mention around at the moment so i do have sympathy with some clubs plights....closer to home here, Hereford Utd for one!

It was based on the original kit to mark the clubs anniversary, a nice nod to history. It's only a one-season thing.

Oh!! Awkward then! Hmm i think it boils down to what you grew up with knowing then, but shrouded in the mists of history the true colours are unveiled! Bit like Juventus starting out with a different kit (pink i think it was) until they inherited Notts Ctys kit after playing them and acknowledging them as the oldest league club!

What happened to that other tasteful post you put up on this thread?...

We know it is only for one season, that's not what this is about, it's about us in the shit and looking for something, anything, to get a bit of spark out of the team, and the fans during a crucial make or break point of the season.

Oh!! Awkward then! Hmm i think it boils down to what you grew up with knowing then, but shrouded in the mists of history the true colours are unveiled! Bit like Juventus starting out with a different kit (pink i think it was) until they inherited Notts Ctys kit after playing them and acknowledging them as the oldest league club!

Don't like me wrong I like the familiar kit better and look forward to its return next season, plus it makes us look a bit more dynamic on the pitch.
But I also appreciate the club acknowledging its long history as well, some of the ignorant shit I read from our own fans makes me despair sometimes.

Don't like me wrong I like the familiar kit better and look forward to its return next season, plus it makes us look a bit more dynamic on the pitch.
But I also appreciate the club acknowledging its long history as well, some of the ignorant shit I read from our own fans makes me despair sometimes.

Imagine if you can the upcoming Coventry game, the players warm up in tracksuit tops, they then come out for the team line up in those tracksuit tops, they shake hands with the opposition, then run towards the Kop remove the the tracksuits to be seen wearing those tradition red and white stripes, imagine the roar from the crowd, imagine the lift it could give us in a game where we are underdogs.

Doesn't that get the pulse racing that little bit faster?

"..."Ba, Ow is possible? In eetaly this never appen" ...."

Swiss, are you sure they were Italian? That sounds more like French to me?

I'd say it was more Holmfirth.

Eeee 'appen ow is possible tha knows lad.

Back
Top Bottom