Get a grip.......

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Didnt we score like a 1oo goals and any bades look back on days like darlo away as amongst their blades supporting highights ?

Sorry Judge but there was no glory in the 4th for me, only division I've never watched the Blades in.

Most of our fans seem to be panicking as though the season is already over.

Hope the manager and players don't have the same defeatist attitude.

Sometimes it's as though our negativity becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. I know based on our history it's hard to be positive. Bet Askins can't believe what kind of club he's coming too.

At least there are many positives. We can't get worse but we're just outside the playoffs. Clubs above us can't get any better and have thin squads. There are no standard clubs this season apart from us and Wigan (and we're above Wigan).

We have Brayford our talisman and best full back in the division to come back soon. We have Done one of the best forward players in league 1 to come back. Remember Che Adams, the hottest property in league 1 still plays for us although many reckon he's Premiership bound for a few million at Xmas. We gave money in the kitty to strengthen. We also have on paper the best manager in the league.

Every club can win or lose the odd game but with the ingredients above its only a matter of time for the cream to rise to the top.

Maybe that's why neutrals, experts and bookies still have us as favourites for promotion.

Watch this space.

I started watching United under Bassett in 88. Other than a brief few months under Weir and at the start of the Clough era this is the lowest I have ever seen us in the table after this amount of games and I don't think this team is as good as the one that Weir inherited.

Sometimes it's as though our negativity becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. I know based on our history it's hard to be positive. Bet Askins can't believe what kind of club he's coming too.

At least there are many positives. We can't get worse but we're just outside the playoffs. Clubs above us can't get any better and have thin squads. There are no standard clubs this season apart from us and Wigan (and we're above Wigan).

We have Brayford our talisman and best full back in the division to come back soon. We have Done one of the best forward players in league 1 to come back. Remember Che Adams, the hottest property in league 1 still plays for us although many reckon he's Premiership bound for a few million at Xmas. We gave money in the kitty to strengthen. We also have on paper the best manager in the league.

Every club can win or lose the odd game but with the ingredients above its only a matter of time for the cream to rise to the top.

Maybe that's why neutrals, experts and bookies still have us as favourites for promotion.

Watch this space.
Jim ?

Watch this space.

I'm pretty sure there was a very similar post at around this time last year, and the year before.

Watch this space.
This is exactly the sort of attitude that keeps us in this division for 6 years.
Mediocre
Excuses
Apologies
False positives
Spineless
Weak

We also see it on the pitch.

Bobbar

• Failure to invest and recruit this year. Only 500K spent on Sharp, Sammon and Edgar on loan (how much do they really care) and Woolford on a free who's crap.

Cracking post. With this bit of it standing out starkly.
In light of the Murphy sale, the recruitment this pre-season/season's been shocking & a sign of just how far we've fallen. (Love Billy though I do & glad that I am he's here, Matty Done was already in situ.)

Nige is here for the foreseeable (& no arguments about that). But I just hope he grows some bollox now & starts asserting himself a bit more rather than just playing Mr Niceguy. We're on the slide, not looking upwards & we need him to be a bit more damn forceful than he's been up to now.

I get the impression Adkins gets an easier ride because he's an enthusiastic likeable chap. The players are bearing the brunt of the criticism and perhaps rightly so. But isn't part of his job to motivate them? Why does it look like they can't be bothered? The results have been absolutely unacceptable and as per any club (see Mourhino) the manager will be a focal point of taking the blame.

We had the chin scraping the ground. usual platitudes after the Gillingham debacle from the likes of our manager, Basham etc, yet within a short space of time we are repeating that performance with someone saying today that Port Vale was even worse than Gillingham. One loan player (if we get him) will make little difference, and we now have to wait until January when we will in all probability see the departure of Adams with the addition to our squad of another half-arsed journeyman, identified by our astute scouts. Bad result for Rochdale at home today, luckily for them they have one of their easiest fixtures coming up next week to put it right.

We've got Brayford, Done, Adams, Sharp, 4 of the players which would get in any team in this division, but beyond that in general we have a group of at best inconsistent players who have made a good living out of our club and not given enough in return.

I hope Adkins has now finished giving the underachievers their chance and we get some steel, heart and passionate players in.

Watch this space.

You really think that we can't get any worse ?. Better cling to the old chestnut trotted out about other clubs having thinner squads if it makes some of us feel better. Would swap our current hapless crew for Burys tomorrow. Agree about Brayford and Done, but Che had better start adding a bit of consistency to his play if he is to remain as you say the hottest property in league one. The money looks like it is remaining firmly in the kitty. Hoping we have got the best manager in the league though he's struggling to show it at the moment (though he has inherited chiefly a bag of shite playing squad).

We were worse under Weir but had better players with Maguire etc still around. In terms of the side and comparison to Clough. I see very little difference in performances and results. That is not a dig at Adkins...or maybe it is. He needs time and has been left with dross but I really thought he had enough about him to ship out much of the dross and be a bit more ruthless. If he does not act quickly, then he will find himself under pressure too although he does need some help, he still has enough resources to have us doing much, much better. It still would take something disastrous for us to remove the manager again. We cannot keep changing managers and hope somehow he can do something this year we will have to wait for the summer cull when we can move on well over 2/3's of the squad for him to have a proper go next season. That sickens me that we will have another year at this level but I don't see a promotion mentality in hardly any oof these players in a million years. They are ordinary Joes. In mindset and ability. Said for ages we need some winners. We have a squad full with the mind set of 'turn up and what happens, happens'

In Adkin's defence, if you were a player earning £5,000+ a week at SUFC, why would you join Oldham, Bury, Gillingham, etc. for £2,000 per week and a one year deal?

1979 80, 1980 81.
Those two seasons were dreadful all round.
35 years ago , so its fair to say we are doing pretty bad and its not unfair for some people who werent around in 79 -81 to say we are the worst they have ever seen

The mentality and attitude of the players has not changed in 4 or 5 years. Likes of Collins, Howard, Flynn, Baxter, Basham, McEveley and many more are in short; soft as shite.

They do not have the drive, urgency or passion to take this side up. They are in affect just playing games and no one actually has done anything of a consistent nature in the last few years to say you know what I want to get out of this bloody division. they have a half arsed attitude that seems to suggest they think they will win games without actually putting the effort in needed. The record of won 5, drew 2 and lost 4 and beat none of the top 10 (only Peterborough in top half) shows these players do not get it. Do you know what ability wise as crap as many of them are they are and still should be better than Bury, Colchester, Port Valle etc even with weaknesses we do have. The fact we cannot beat these teams is as much down to effort, application and heart as errors/poor skill (obviously big factors too).

They all have had too many chances now. I do wonder what they think will happen to them when they get released at the end of the season (the 15 or so out of contract) ? Do they genuinely think anyone higher up the pyramid would want them. Most will end up back in Scotland, even lower in League 1 or League 2 at best. With Murphy gone other than maybe Sharp and promise of Adams/Done, not one other player has shown they could play at a higher level.
Problem is we clearly are not better than the shit teams you mention. Otherwise we would be beating them.

I've seen a few times in other threads the 'problem' is that a lot of our players are better suited to the championship. It's been a while since we were there but from what I remember of it this team would get torn a new one. . . And if they are so suited to the championship how come they aren't getting tapped up to pay there?

You really think that we can't get any worse ?. Better cling to the old chestnut trotted out about other clubs having thinner squads if it makes some of us feel better. Would swap our current hapless crew for Burys tomorrow. Agree about Brayford and Done, but Che had better start adding a bit of consistency to his play if he is to remain as you say the hottest property in league one. The money looks like it is remaining firmly in the kitty. Hoping we have got the best manager in the league though he's struggling to show it at the moment (though he has inherited chiefly a bag of shite playing squad).
To be frank, even in the wins, eg v Chesterfield and,Doncaster, there were long spells of shapeless, hopeless, disorganised, half hearted, football that is terribly dull and looks as though they just go through the motions for a pay packet. Remember they were so called "good" days this season.

Watch this space.

I'm really struggling to decide if you're being serious. On reflection, you probably are and this sums up how we've got to this position - blind loyalty and a refusal to face facts.

Nice to get the inevitable dig at the fans in early. This season is already over. We've seen this for 5 years now, and there are no signs - absolutely none - that our failings are being addressed. 'Bet Adkins can't believe what kind of club he's come to?' Look, every manager in our division faces problems far greater than Adkins - small squads, lack of funds, poor crowds, living hand-to-mouth etc. Adkins, by comparison, has it easy and the excuses and shocking performances are wearing thin.

'We're just outside the play-offs.' Yes, just as we were last season, while the better teams are running away with it. Apart from the obvious failings we know await us in the play-offs, it's not a good way to go up. You've 'limped over the line' and lose a good month of pre-season owing to being in the play-offs. (Sure, some people will say any method of getting out of this division would be OK. The play-offs for us just represent delusion, a feeling that we *could* make it.)

A more realistic way to look at it is 'We're 'only' five points behind automatic.' Does that sound better in La-La Land? Now how about 'We're 'only' six points away from the relegation places'?

Remember Che Adams, the hottest property in league 1 still plays for us although many reckon he's Premiership bound for a few million at Xmas.' Time for underpants on head and pencils up nose. 'We have money in the kitty to strengthen.' Wibble.

'We also have on paper the best manager in the league.' and 'that's why neutrals, experts and bookies still have us as favourites for promotion.' (See Land, La-La above.)

'it's only a matter of time for the cream to rise to the top.' I hope you're not seriously referring to spineless, leaderless cunts who regularly lose to 'lesser' sides, are you? In a league system, the better teams naturally end up at the top. We go down the table weekly, and have yet to play some of the teams who will be near the top come April. Cream? Rancid baby-batter more like.

Be in no doubt, losing - deservedly - at Port fucking Vale is a chilling result. As was getting thumped at Gillingham. As was losing at home to Bury. And Colchester. How many more signs do you need? As Hello says, our wins agains Chezzie, Donnie and Blackpool were hardly convincing. Next up, Rochdale (H) and Oldham (A). If we lose both of these, would we really be surprised?

Last edited:

Watch this space.

We've been favourites for promotion every single bastard season since we've been in this bastard league.

Bastards.

Totally agree with op. I was there today and it's ever more evident that we need to ship out the dross.

Out of today's team I would keep Done, Adams, Kennedy, Baxter, Sharp and Collins.
Maybe a proper leader (new pkayer) in the middle will force the others to play to their best consistently.

Done and Adams must start the next league match imo.

Next up Rochdale

UTB

Baxter Collins and Kennedy? :(

The first two have contributed massively to our being in this league for so long. And the latter, much as we love how he plays, is never going to be more than an occasional contributor.

I'm afraid we need to be more ruthless.

I think Collins and Baxter will benefit from having a beast in CM I really do and Tel shouldn't be discarded just yet.

I've seen a few times in other threads the 'problem' is that a lot of our players are better suited to the championship. It's been a while since we were there but from what I remember of it this team would get torn a new one. . . And if they are so suited to the championship how come they aren't getting tapped up to pay there?
Think he means the blue square championship

Anyone at Port Vale yesterday will tell you how bad we were, especially the first half, no guts whatsoever.

There was a time, a few years ago, when we would not have been scared of a team like Port bloody Vale, but now I think every team in this league has a chance of beating us. Billy Sharp had a good go yesterday, Conor Sammon is lively, ungainly, but at least has a go.

We seem to leak goals like a rusty bucket.

Ask anyone at the game yesterday about Vale's keeper, outstanding. Not placing the blame with Howard, but he worries me at times, especially the long range "wonder goals". We keep seeing them and saying "well no one would have stopped that, a wonder goal", really? Seems BDTBL is a talisman for wonder goals then.

The problem is that over the years, we have sold off the best players and replaced them with players of lesser ability. We all know this. The obvious conclusion is that you end up with a team that needs everyone replacing.

I am as optimistic as any long term Blade, because at some point, even SUFC has to come good and get promoted. But unless changes are made very quickly, it won't be this season, and we will have another year getting tonked by the likes of Bury and Port Vale.

Port Vale......Bury....Colchester.....there was a time when us older Blades would have laughed at the very thought of us playing them, never mind losing to them!

We were worse under Weir but had better players with Maguire etc still around. In terms of the side and comparison to Clough. I see very little difference in performances and results. That is not a dig at Adkins...or maybe it is. He needs time and has been left with dross but I really thought he had enough about him to ship out much of the dross and be a bit more ruthless. If he does not act quickly, then he will find himself under pressure too although he does need some help, he still has enough resources to have us doing much, much better. It still would take something disastrous for us to remove the manager again. We cannot keep changing managers and hope somehow he can do something this year we will have to wait for the summer cull when we can move on well over 2/3's of the squad for him to have a proper go next season. That sickens me that we will have another year at this level but I don't see a promotion mentality in hardly any oof these players in a million years. They are ordinary Joes. In mindset and ability. Said for ages we need some winners. We have a squad full with the mind set of 'turn up and what happens, happens'
Excellent DB. My question is who to and how do we ship out the dross?

That's almost laughable, isn't it? We've got more players suited to league 2 than the championship.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom