"We have to get up this season"-Adkins

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Roygbiv

Reaction score
Jonathan Buchan reporting that Adkins has said we have to get up this season and says he has backed his players and given them opportunities to improve . Buchan says he was clearly angry and had to "choose his words carefully". Also said we cant continue to be physically bullied

Has the penny dropped? Most of us said this set of players would let him down and it seem they have gone ahead and proven us right. Well done lads

If we fail this season, Adkins will probably be sacked, and he'll find it difficult to get another job outside the fourth tier. This after being seen as one of the top managers in the country and a serious contender for the England job. It certainly matters to him.

Jonathan Buchan reporting that Adkins has said we have to get up this season and says he has backed his players and given them opportunities to improve . Buchan says he was clearly angry and had to "choose his words carefully". Also said we cant continue to be physically bullied

Has the penny dropped? Most of us said this set of players would let him down and it seem they have gone ahead and proven us right. Well done lads
Just heard it, he sounded defeated more than angry.

Very worrying.

Roy. To you, Pompey, metal et al, I (as I believe most should) now concede that you were more right than me all along re the squad NA inherited. That's as close as I'm getting to admitting I was wrong and I'm gutted about it - not being wrong but about the lack of mental and physical strength or ability to perform consistently.

Is this another one of those "wake-up calls"? Maybe the 4-nil tonking on day one was equivalent to hitting the snooze-button.

I'm seething....my youngest has just asked her mum "Mum, why is dad so mardy?". "It's probably the football" she says.
When we don't put in a shift and look like we want to win it really fucks me off.

*deep breath* Relax. Get ready for Rochdale.

Roy. To you, Pompey, metal et al, I (as I believe most should) now concede that you were more right than me all along re the squad NA inherited. That's as close as I'm getting to admitting I was wrong and I'm gutted about it - not being wrong but about the lack of mental and physical strength or ability to perform consistently.

To be honest it was only after the Gillingham game that I thought "these players wont change". I just didn't think it was a one off. I am sick of seeing this team not have the mental strength to succeed at fucking league one level. The majority of the squad have had so many chances to learn and to grow but they aren't capable. I just wish Adkins hadnt been so kind to have given the losers a chance

This really is a bad time to be a Blades fan compounded by the fact that the other lot are spending money like it is going out of fashion and beginning to get results, yeah take the piss out of their ticket prices but lets be honest in the last three years they have moved light years ahead of us. :(:(:(:(:(

physically bullied

I like Baxter, he's a lovely footballer and a nice luxury.
I like Basham, he's 'a try-er' who cares...

Said it before...but never in a million years are they a midfield pair with enough steel or energy to boss any L1 midfield.

It's the most important area on the pitch in a 4-4-2.

Is this another one of those "wake-up calls"? Maybe the 4-nil tonking on day one was equivalent to hitting the snooze-button.

I'm seething....my youngest has just asked her mum "Mum, why is dad so mardy?". "It's probably the football" she says.
When we don't put in a shift and look like we want to win it really fucks me off.

*deep breath* Relax. Get ready for Rochdale.
The one thing the cup runs showed to me last season was the lack of effort the players were putting in for league games and the inability to perform consistently

The team that clough put together after weir was sacked contained just the right balance with coady maguire and brayford alongside murphy we were just lacking a goalscorer and a centre half partner for harry

Our board have to take a long hard look at how we have managed to get from that side that was good enough to walk promotion to this one which will just be up and down all season and get beat by teams like port vale and gillingham simply because they cant be arsed to put a shift in

To be honest it was only after the Gillingham game that I thought "these players wont change". I just didn't think it was a one off. I am sick of seeing this team not have the mental strength to succeed at fucking league one level. The majority of the squad have had so many chances to learn and to grow but they aren't capable. I just wish Adkins hadnt been so kind to have given the losers a chance
Even in big games like the swindon play off game at the lane they swanned around like they were already on the beach

I will also admit that I've over-estimated how strong our squad is. I think the problem is that the 'better players' are probably more suited to the Championship and we don't posses any of the type players needed to put the shifts in do the hard work for them.

I would also say that certain deficiencies are very very obvious, but have not been addressed. Adkins isn't stupid, so there are two possible reasons. He's been 'blocked' by the Board or he's completely lost it. I can't imagine it's the ;atter.

They're nice. They're all nice aren't they? The Prince, he's nice. Sela, a grand chap if youve met him. Brannigan, always time for a chat. Jim, the nicest man there ever was. Apart from Superblade, to whom we owe everything. New Nigel, he's nice. Nice nice nice nice.

Nice we've already got covered, in monopolic quantities. Any chance of some Good?

I like Baxter, he's a lovely footballer and a nice luxury.
I like Basham, he's 'a try-er' who cares...

Said it before...but never in a million years are they a midfield pair with enough steel or energy to boss any L1 midfield.

It's the most important area on the pitch in a 4-4-2.

I've said before that one is a box to box midfielder who doesn't score and the other is a 'sitter' who cant tackle. The wost thing is that I think they are our best two

so he's said we have to stop being bullied - Adkins can start by NEVER playing Baxter in midfield in THIS division.

One day, a manager of Sheffield United will listen to the call of "You need big, strong players to get out of this division"

We are so very very average.

Teams have us sussed out - every single coach/scout/manager in this division KNOWS how to beat us.

As for Adkins - he is now starting to make mistakes with team selection and falling back on the square peg/round hole syndrome.

I ask you - Flynn, left side midfield - Coutts right side midfield - Baxter in the middle..........it may work occasionally but when teams come at us, ruffle our soft feathers and get in our faces, we do not like it.

GILLINGHAM SET THE TEMPLATE FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON - ADKINS IS NOT LEARNING.

He could have a coffee with 99% of Blades fans and they would all tell him something similar. I dread to think where he has been his getting advice from at the Lane.

UTB

I've said before that one is a box to box midfielder who doesn't score and the other is a 'sitter' who cant tackle. The wost thing is that I think they are our best two

Baxter? one of the best we have - we played better with Reed on Tuesday - at least we looked solid - we never look solid with Baxter.

UTB

We need nasty. We need at team of Morgans.

so he's said we have to stop being bullied - Adkins can start by NEVER playing Baxter in midfield in THIS division.

One day, a manager of Sheffield United will listen to the call of "You need big, strong players to get out of this division"

Teams have us sussed out - every single coach/scout/manager in this division KNOWS how to beat us.

As for Adkins - he is now starting to make mistakes with team selection and falling back on the square peg/round hole syndrome.

I ask you - Flynn, left side midfield - Coutts right side midfield - Baxter in the middle..........it may work occasionally but when teams come at us, ruffle our soft feathers and get in our faces, we do not like it.

He could have a coffee with 99% of Blades fans and they would all tell him something similar. I dread to think where he has been his getting advice from at the Lane.

UTB
Port Vale had a player today who has bullied and outplayed Baxter everytime he has played against him ,Port Vale got him for nothing from Crewe when I and many others said we should have gone for in the summer. He is the perfect player for us to get us out of this fucking division yet still we ponce about with powderpuff players like Baxter failing again and again. Maybe we could have got Grant or the like if Clough had still been here ,but our far seeking board decide to change the manager so we get another guy in charge who takes 6 months to decide that we have a load of shit on our staff and by then its too late to form a challenge for the top spot.

UTB

Adkins may be just a bag of hot air that got very lucky at Southampton.

Port Vale had a player today who has bullied and outplayed Baxter everytime he has played against him ,Port Vale got him for nothing from Crewe when I and many others said we should have gone for in the summer. He is the perfect player for us to get us out of this fucking division yet still we ponce about with powderpuff players like Baxter failing again and again. Maybe we could have got Grant or the like if Clough had still been here ,but our far seeking board decide to change the manager so we get another guy in charge who takes 6 months to decide that we have a load of shit on our staff and by then its too late to form a challenge for the top spot.
The "load of shit" was assembled by the man who was rightly sacked for it.

UTB

That's the way i'm going, I have to admit.

Everything else aside, including his nicey nicey ultra positive exterior, results so far are showing he's no better than Clough.

Who needs 4 lucky promotions when you can prove you're shit by not being able to turn a poor squad around in 12 games?

I despair.

UTB

Who needs 4 lucky promotions when you can prove you're shit by not being able to turn a poor squad around in 12 games?

I despair.

UTB
A half decent manager would have signed 2 CB's instead of 2 strikers. It might have masked our disastrous squad a bit more.

Some of us (me included) urged caution when Adkins was signed - partly because he inherited a set of players bought to play a certain way and now expected to play a different ways.
Some of us wanted Clough to have another season (me included) not because he was good, but because it was his squad and "any" manager was going to struggle with them and Clough "may" have not been far away - even though the football was boring and methodical - it might, just might have got us out.
Adkins is now struggling to get Cloughs average players to play how he wants.
Personally, I think he will fail - not because I want him to fail, but because the players are not the right ones for (a) this division (b) to play how Adkins wants.
Adkins is becoming as belligerent as Clough with certain team selections and choices.

As for your comment - Adkins inherited a set of quality young players from what was regarded as the best youth development in the country, so you may actually be right. We all have to hope though that your comment is wrong, other wise we are well and truly..........stuffed.

UTB

I despair.

UTB

He'll never turn it around if he never gets to grips with it.

Twenty minutes in the car park after his interview chatting to random Blades would have sorted his route.

Some of us (me included) urged caution when Adkins was signed - partly because he inherited a set of players bought to play a certain way and now expected to play a different ways.
Some of us wanted Clough to have another season (me included) not because he was good, but because it was his squad and "any" manager was going to struggle with them and Clough "may" have not been far away - even though the football was boring and methodical - it might, just might have got us out.
Adkins is now struggling to get Cloughs average players to play how he wants.
Personally, I think he will fail - not because I want him to fail, but because the players are not the right ones for (a) this division (b) to play how Adkins wants.
Adkins is becoming as belligerent as Clough with certain team selections and choices.

As for your comment - Adkins inherited a set of quality young players from what was regarded as the best youth development in the country, so you may actually be right. We all have to hope though that your comment is wrong, other wise we are well and truly..........stuffed.

UTB
Unfortunately I think Grumpy has it spot on.

The "load of shit" was assembled by the man who was rightly sacked for it.

UTB
There was a structure though and a couple of additions might have allowed us to progress better than changing the manager. Oh he didn't buy Baxter either.

Getting the Saints promoted once may have had an element of luck about it. Further promotions, IMO needed something more than luck. The Saints supporters in my daughter in law.s family would have Adkins back again.
Unfortunately there is no magic wand, I have my doubts whether any manager could get our current lot promoted. Some players do not have the stomach for the fight, for that is what it is, some do not have the special skills required and there is a collective lack of bottle..

I really think a lot of posters have forgotten what decent footballers look like. It's nothing personal, but the vast majority of this lot have no place in the spine of a promotion first XI, yet that's what we're expecting of them.

Most can put in the odd decent performance, but who can we bank on? Who has the quality and application that's needed?

Sharp, Brayford, Done, Basham? Can't think who else I'd want in the trenches. The vast majority are just woefully unreliable.

Back
Top Bottom