Higdon.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I was fed up listening to people slagging him off yesterday. They were on his back from the first time he mis-controlled the ball and certain supporters seemed to take exception to him not chasing down the full backs.

He's clearly been detailed to stay central which at the very least occupies the centre halves so that they can't push up. I don't think football fans are bright enough to take the tactical side into account when they start criticising players for being "too static" as someone put it.

Well spotted - the idea of one up front is that HE IS STATIC and does not need to run the channels - that's why we have 5 in midfield to get beyond Higdon either down the flanks or Basham who gets beyond Higdon (numerous times - again not seen by many).

Higdon hasn't been good, but neither have some around him.......notably our wide players.

UTB

Well spotted - the idea of one up front is that HE IS STATIC and does not need to run the channels - that's why we have 5 in midfield to get beyond Higdon either down the flanks or Basham who gets beyond Higdon (numerous times - again not seen by many).

Higdon hasn't been good, but neither have some around him.......notably our wide players.

UTB
Forgive me, but that is absolute fookin tosh.

To suggest that your main striker remains static and thus :-

A. Easy to pick up by the oppos CBS and
B. Not moving the oppos defence around by moving at all thus not creating any space for others around him.

I can get on board with the not running the channels bit, particularly with the current formation.

Not expecting him to run around like a headless chicken. But to start getting one leg in front of the other might be a positive sign !

UTB

Porter misses 3 chances the world goes into meltdown, Higdon misses them its about his match fitness. In my opinion neither are good enough if we want to progress but perhaps as I have alluded to previously perhaps it isn't the strikers but the supply line that is the issue because usually our strikers don't get 3 chances a game let alone miss 3 sitters.

For his last 50 goals Higdon has scored them in almost exactly 100 games. That is a big stat, even mostly in the Scottish Premiership, although that has to be a higher level than League 1. Give the man time. His goal against Bristol was that of a craftsman, a lovely deflection on the header.

I too am disappointed we have not signed the perfect fit for last season's fluid 4-5-1 system. I too am disappointed that McNulty is not that fast, but both the lads seem to know the game and know their own game.

Clough has either got what he wants or he knows full well we need some pace. Only Murphy has any pace and that is not enough.

That's exactly what I said to someone earlier. Spot on.
Suffaux / Fulwood.

The comments you have made on this thread are more than interesting.

Which has led me to an idea for the both of you.

As this notion of a "static" centre forward is not covered in any Uefa / FIFA / raggyarseroverstinpotsundayleague coaching manuals, maybe the two of you could write one ? I am all for new ideas and you just might be on to something that the likes of Guardiola / Mourinho et al might find more than useful ;)

Let's give it the working title of "Advanced static centre forward play" ; you could even ask Higdon to write the foreword :D:D

While we have nothing contractual in place, should said idea turn in to the footballing version of 50 shades, and should you feel compelled to, then please send any profits or royalty cheques to :-

DronnieBlade
352 BDTBL
Passandmoveland
S18

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

UTB

I am better than porter. The fact still remains higdon looks overweight, static and fucking shite IMO

Ahh another one who is better than a professional footballer. Porter has spent his career as a footballer and what have you been doing with your obvious talent?

If he wants to be a static professional sportsman, may I suggest he take up darts.

Ahh another one who is better than a professional footballer. Porter has spent his career as a footballer and what have you been doing with your obvious talent?
That's a good point. Regardless of how shit you may think a player is, that player has come through an incredibly stringent filtering process to get where they are.
All this 'I'm better than him' or 'me grandma is' or even ' not good enough for Sunday league' is of course total bollocks.
The Porters, Doyle's, Montys ( just for Pinchy ) even Marcus or Paul Williams, nay, even my nemisis,
Dougie Brown, all came through a process that filters the shit quicker than Blackburn Meadows could even hope to!
The fact that Porter & Doyle have gone on to register around 600 league appearances between them, would suggest they didn't sneak through accidentally either.
Surely all the scouts, coaches and managers can't be wrong can they?

Don't think I would put Doyle in that list he's done well from the middle of last season to the present and would first on the team sheet at the moment.
I read that he could be out on loan surely it must be a miss print

Don't think I would put Doyle in that list he's done well from the middle of last season to the present and would first on the team sheet at the moment.
I read that he could be out on loan surely it must be a miss print
Point taken, the list were just players off the top of my head and our Michael has had more than his share of stick on here.
I guess the list of players is subjective and would contain hundreds who've been maligned by fans over time.

Point taken, the list were just players off the top of my head and our Michael has had more than his share of stick on here.
I guess the list of players is subjective and would contain hundreds who've been maligned by fans over time.
He has had stick but now he's making them eat their words.

I can see the logic in arguing that players have had to come through the relevant ranks and earn their place at a high level in professional football. I guess we as fans, are used to certain levels of quality watching a game. Players like Monty were clearly shit compared to everyone else on the pitch. So although he would stand out in a sunday league team as a very good player, at championship or league one level he appeared to have the capabilities of a bell end.

I can see the logic in arguing that players have had to come through the relevant ranks and earn their place at a high level in professional football. I guess we as fans, are used to certain levels of quality watching a game. Players like Monty were clearly shit compared to everyone else on the pitch. So although he would stand out in a sunday league team as a very good player, at championship or league one level he appeared to have the capabilities of a bell end.
Aye, another bell end who played over 300 games at Championship, Premiership and league 1 level and continues to earn his living from the game.... So who's the bell end?

That's a good point. Regardless of how shit you may think a player is, that player has come through an incredibly stringent filtering process to get where they are.
All this 'I'm better than him' or 'me grandma is' or even ' not good enough for Sunday league' is of course total bollocks.
The Porters, Doyle's, Montys ( just for Pinchy ) even Marcus or Paul Williams, nay, even my nemisis,
Dougie Brown, all came through a process that filters the shit quicker than Blackburn Meadows could even hope to!
The fact that Porter & Doyle have gone on to register around 600 league appearances between them, would suggest they didn't sneak through accidentally either.

I can see the logic behind your post.
However football has a habit of separating the wheat from the chaff, however unfairly that might be put across by their critics.
My previous post about a manager threw up varying responses.
Therefore when someone is for or against certain players, assuming that every player has come through the system you describe, comparisons are inevitable.
It happens with managers, clubs, teams, boards of directors, types of stadiums.
In fact comparisons are inevitable; that's the beauty of it all.

It's September 1st. He does nothing all his life but train and play football yet we are awaiting him to reach a level of fitness that means he can perform in Division 3.
What's made him this unfit, Malaria?

I was willing to give him time but Grecian has hit the nail on the head, he's been a month and he still looks like a bouncer.

He's an overweight donkey, I can't believe the club spent money on him.

I can see the logic behind your post.
However football has a habit of separating the wheat from the chaff, however unfairly that might be put across by their critics.
My previous post about a manager threw up varying responses.
Therefore when someone is for or against certain players, assuming that every player has come through the system you describe, comparisons are inevitable.
It happens with managers, clubs, teams, boards of directors, types of stadiums.
In fact comparisons are inevitable; that's the beauty of it all.
Of course, it all depends where you set the parameters when comparing.

Don't take this the wrong way,but i completely disagree with this.Me personally have played with a lot better players than Porter and Monty on a Saturday in the County senior,and Sunday in the Meadowhall league,why they have slipped through the net,just shows how stringent the process is.

Don't take this the wrong way,but i completely disagree with this.Me personally have played with a lot better players than Porter and Monty on a Saturday in the County senior,and Sunday in the Meadowhall league,why they have slipped through the net,just shows how stringent the process is.
How do you know you've played with better players than Porter and Monty? Have you played alongside (or against) Porter or Monty to be able to compare? There'll be plenty more required and demanded of players in the professional game than you'll have seen on a Sunday morning, not to mention the gulf in quality of opposition they'll be facing each week.

How do you know you've played with better players than Porter and Monty? Have you played alongside (or against) Porter or Monty to be able to compare? There'll be plenty more required and demanded of players in the professional game than you'll have seen on a Sunday morning, not to mention the gulf in quality of opposition they'll be facing each week.
Iv'e watched them plenty of times to compare them to the players who i have played with,i'm not saying i'm better btw,i'm saying the players i have played with or against are better.I don't need to get in a mass debate over it,iv'e played with better,no doubt about it.

C

choose not to embarrass myself week in week out like porter. UTB

So you weren't picked up and you haven't played professionally unlike Porter. Just checking in case I was talking to Messi.

Oh stop it.

Iv'e watched them plenty of times to compare them to the players who i have played with,i'm not saying i'm better btw,i'm saying the players i have played with or against are better.I don't need to get in a mass debate over it,iv'e played with better,no doubt about it.
I've played with better players than Ronaldo and Messi. I have no evidence to back up such a claim, and you can't prove otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom