Neill Collins

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What did he know about heading? He had a head like our MOD1 4.5 gun

WNBR_45-55_mk8_mod1_pic.jpg

pommpey

What did he know about heading? He had a head like our MOD1 4.5 gun

I always thought his head was like a Toblerone because it was triangular and when he headed the ball you were never sure in which direction the ball was going to go.

WNBR_45-55_mk8_mod1_pic.jpg

pommpey

It looks as though our former, long serving centre half has taken to writing a blog in his spare time. There's only one post so far but it's an interesting read.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone was interested, from reading his first piece he comes across intelligent and interesting.

http://neillcollins.com/theartof-heading/
I'm happy he left Sheffield United.

Tad harsh on Collins IMHO. I know it went pear-shaped towards the end for him and the team but he was an integral part of the Clough team that went 10 games (from memory) without conceding a goal, including an away win at Huddersfield where he was awesome. I would suggest he was also instrumental in helping Harry Maguire along at the time too. The pair of them were immense for a time.

Always appeared to give his all, even if his all wasn't good enough in his latter days.

I can't really disagree with anything that he said about heading the ball, very good piece. I grew up heading heavy leather caseys, it used to hurt and until I learned how to do it properly sometimes if you didn't catch it right it would leave you dazed, it never did me any harm, as I'm nearly 40 my cognitive function is still eggcellent and my me or both short and short term remains excellent, and I still know day of the week it is, Thursday btw

I can't really disagree with anything that he said about heading the ball, very good piece. I grew up heading heavy leather caseys, it used to hurt and until I learned how to do it properly sometimes if you didn't catch it right it would leave you dazed, it never did me any harm, as I'm nearly 40 my cognitive function is still eggcellent and my me or both short and short term remains excellent, and I still know day of the week it is, Thursday btw

Well we've finally found an explanation for BTL's posts if nothing else.

I like the guy. He has a passion for the game. When he was talking about what the game and United meant to him in a interview you could see he was nearly in tears.

A legend in my eyes.

Say what you will. Top bloke with a heart of gold.

He wasn't good enough for Utd ,but that's not the point of the thread ,very good article ,I agree with it 100%.

Maybe we could intice him back if we lose EEL in January? It'd take a good 5 year contact mind.

It looks as though our former, long serving centre half has taken to writing a blog in his spare time. There's only one post so far but it's an interesting read.

Hats off to a proper Blade who has time enough to scour the recesses of t'interweb to look for blogs from ex-Players.

A promising start, but I challenge you to find something from Doc Pace.........

I like the guy. He has a passion for the game. When he was talking about what the game and United meant to him in a interview you could see he was nearly in tears.

A legend in my eyes.

Say what you will. Top bloke with a heart of gold.

I think legend is going way over the top.

But…. I agree he cared and would give his all for the cause. He just wasn’t great at football. Doesn’t deserve all the stick he gets though in my opinion. Just an honest assessment that he was a very ordinary lower league centre half.

To write a piece about the art of heading and open with the words 'Just close your eyes....' is probably not the best advice.

A written instruction to “close your eyes” before you can read on is probably not the best idea regardless of any comment on heading. My first thought was “If I close my eyes, how am I supposed to read the chuffing article?!”

Hats off to a proper Blade who has time enough to scour the recesses of t'interweb to look for blogs from ex-Players.

A promising start, but I challenge you to find something from Doc Pace.........

Apparently the Delorean has got to reach 88mph*

* That may be the wrong Doc.......

Apparently the Delorean has got to reach 88mph*

* That may be the wrong Doc.......

No definitely the 'right' Doc.

IIRC he mainly posted on the Piggy forums winding them up about Albert Quixall being an alien, Dooley being crap and the whole illegal betting thing.

I don't want to give too much away as it will make it too easy for the OP to find it.

I think legend is going way over the top.

But…. I agree he cared and would give his all for the cause. He just wasn’t great at football. Doesn’t deserve all the stick he gets though in my opinion. Just an honest assessment that he was a very ordinary lower league centre half.

Probably slightly but to me he is, even though he was a bit unwieldy, kind of adds to the charm, Don't think I've seen any player show that kind of emotion.

I wonder if he's sending either of the two Nigel's a Xmas card?

Just thought I'd share in case anyone was interested, from reading his first piece he comes across intelligent and interesting.

http://neillcollins.com/theartof-heading/

almost agree. He mis-spelled "cue" as "queue" - otherwise very good.

Back
Top Bottom