Tonights Corporate Meeting With The Chairman

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So, let me get this straight. Our chairman has slagged off the signings of a manager who is still in place whilst those signings are still at the club? Ones he no doubt had to sign off on or his technical board of the unskilled?

He's also basically decided to re-imagine history with his Championship and game-changing quote?

What a buffoon. Never his fault although he could have done better.

It's OK because we're going to sign Messi and Ronaldo when qualify for the champions league

He's also basically decided to re-imagine history with his Championship and game-changing quote?

What a buffoon. Never his fault although he could have done better.

No, he explained that the plan was always to up the level of spending at Championship level, as it's far more important there these days.

He stated that they had not expected to have not reached that level by now and were disappointed that this was the case.

It's logical and sensible... providing that the getting to that level is addressed soon.

No, he explained that the plan was always to up the level of spending at Championship level, as it's far more important there these days.

He stated that they had not expected to have not reached that level by now and were disappointed that this was the case.

It's logical and sensible... providing that the getting to that level is addressed soon.

That's how it was explained at the time of the Prince buying in. I've never worried that we're under-spending for our position - the problems are elsewhere. But I might change my mind if we plan a promotion around a team of academy lads.

How could you forget Sammon?!? :)

It wouldn't surprise me if 5 of the above are on around £10k per week all on.
It really surprises me where people dream up these figures from.
In all my time I have only found out one players wages. That was Alan Quinn. How? He told me himself. When he came he cut his wages in half and it eas not even the lower figure mentioned on here at a time when the club WAS in the money and able to pay. Check out how much we payed for season tickets and what we got in prize money in the championship and premiership.
So how people think multiple players are
My reply to Barney earlier today...

It was from a friend who was in the Executive boxes at Coventry last Saturday. Not sure where he got the info about 12 of our players being on £5K or more, think he heard it last Saturday at Coventry? The surprise was the info about none of Coventry players being on £5K a week (thought at least Fleck and Cole would get that much). When I told my ITK yesterday, he was surprised about none of the Coventry players on £5K a week and agrees that 12 SUFC players earning that or more is about right
Then I would like some back up for that because I think it is complete bollocks.
I stated somewhere on here that Alan Quinn told me personally about the cut he had to make to join us. That was lower than a 5k a week he was earning at the time when our prize money andearnings from season tickets was far higher than now. These figures are plucked from the so called ITKs imagination. I have backed mine up by a personal meeting. Your mate must have access to some very personal data about our players. Are you saying he does ?

None of Coventry players are on £5000 a week, we have 12 earning £5000 or more. Having a high wage bill doesn't guarantee promotion!
I realise that - I'm not suggesting we go overboard on wages.
We have a substantial rebuilding job to do in the summer - it doesn't make sense to me to sign players who are "just good enough" to get us promoted, and then have to bin them off for better players the following summer. Who's going to want to sign for one year with the vague prospect of more *if* we go up?

So he hoped we would get promotion by selling every decent player we had and not reinvesting in the team.... We were more or less level on points with Wigan in December they spent in January we did fuck all.... how did that turn out

That's how it was explained at the time of the Prince buying in. I've never worried that we're under-spending for our position - the problems are elsewhere. But I might change my mind if we plan a promotion around a team of academy lads.
It's the same as how the princes wealth was misrepresented by some fans as him being a billionaire, when it was clearly not going to be the case. Fans get carried away and then upset when it doesn't play out.

Then I would like some back up for that because I think it is complete bollocks.
I stated somewhere on here that Alan Quinn told me personally about the cut he had to make to join us. That was lower than a 5k a week he was earning at the time when our prize money andearnings from season tickets was far higher than now. These figures are plucked from the so called ITKs imagination. I have backed mine up by a personal meeting. Your mate must have access to some very personal data about our players. Are you saying he does ?

Fine!

On the wages front I wonder if Coventry have put together some "creative" deals, given that they're still pleading poverty as a reason for defaulting on their rent for the Ricoh? Maybe basic wages are low, but are topped up by bonuses?

They've thrown many millions in failing to get out of Div 3, so yes, why on earth wouldn't they spend more to get into the Premier League.
Actually, the great majority of football owners, who've done their research, do get involved with the expectation of making a loss, as has been the case through time immemorial. If you gain access to the treasure trove of the Premier League there is the prospect of an owner making real money but even then it's far easier to lose a fortune.
I remember someone saying the best way to make a small fortune running a football club is to start with a large one!

I'm not by any means an ITK, but a client of mine who spent an afternoon drinking with somebody at the Lane told me that NC refused to accept any blame for us not getting promoted and refused to change his boring, negative style of play. He also wanted to sign a "crock" from Derby. It would also appear that he'd ( allegedly) alienated a fair few of the playing staff.

UTB & FTP
If that's true, I wonder who on earth he thought was to blame! Looking back, you can't fault the board from his perspective last season. They gave him more than enough money to get the job done and far too much freedom for his limited abilities. The more I hear about his tenure the more relieved I am we got rid.

If that's true, I wonder who on earth he thought was to blame! Looking back, you can't fault the board from his perspective last season. They gave him more than enough money to get the job done and far too much freedom for his limited abilities. The more I hear about his tenure the more relieved I am we got rid.
On the one hand, it will be interesting to see how he fares in the Championship on a very limited budget.
On the other ... he's nothing to do with the Blades anymore, so f*** him.

Quite. Strip away the bullshit and this is why we find ourselves on an extended stay in Division Three. There may be others that I've forgotten, but this constant selling - and not adequately replacing any 'talent' we have - is the inevitable result. As if losing these players isn't enough, we get the usual poor timing of the sales, the 'undisclosed' and stuff like Beattie's 'flu'. I've only really included post the 2009 play-off final v Burnley as this was when McCabe literally threw the baby out with the bathwater. Add up the (reported) transfer fees and less than £20-odd million won't be as much as we've lost since 2009. It doesn't include players like Kilgallon, Quinn, Paddy and - yes - Monty. Players who would walk into the present 'team'.

And it doesn't include our inability to secure much-loved loan players like Conor Coady, Matt Phillips and Kyle Bartley.

Read it and weep.

View attachment 17239
I like a good graph and that's a fekin cracker g

It has been explained in great length why Murphy being a bit moody wasn't a valid enough excuse to continually sell the clubs best players. For one he hasn't got anything at all to gain by not playing to his best. Two he probably wants to carry on playing to his best if he's genuinely passionate about getting a Scotland call up. And three he really doesn't seem the type of footballer that sulks anyway.

Actually Barney the quote was even more direct, I've found the link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03t1khc

3.15 in, 'We won't want to keep unhappy players'. The whole piece about player retention starts at 3.00

My point is that the Blades aren't unique in this. If a team that has just won the Premiere League are concerned and indeed would not stand in the way of a player then the whole 'They're under contract, f#ck em' doesn't seem that realistic.

Think about it, a club in a higher league offers you double treble or even quadruple your salary and will pay the going rate to your club to buy you but your club say 'f#ck 'em and f#ck you, you're stopping'.

Regardless of what you think should be the case, how would you feel? And how rightly or wrongly might that impact on your future performances and perhaps more importantly the moral of the team?

Last edited:

Tonight I spoke to my friend who was in the Executive boxes last Saturday and asked him who told him about 12 of our players being on £5000 or more a week. He replied "The bigwigs". I asked "Coventry bigwigs or Blades bigwigs?". He replied "both". Ok?

Actually Barney the quote was even more direct, I've found the link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03t1khc

3.15 in, 'We won't want to keep unhappy players'. The whole piece about player retention starts at 3.00

My point is that the Blades aren't unique in this. If a team that has just won the Premiere League are concerned and indeed would not stand in the way of a player then the whole 'They're under contract, f#ck em' doesn't seem that realistic.

Think about it, a club in a higher league offers you double treble or even quadruple your salary and will pay the going rate to your club to buy you but your club say 'f#ck 'em and f#ck you, you're stopping'.

Regardless of what you think should be the case, how would you feel?
I'm not the player so I wouldn't give two shiny shits about him or his feelings. If I was though, I'd be pissed off no doubt about that, but I'd be able to understand it because I'd be able to see that it would be exactly what I'd do if the roles were reversed.

What I'd also do is carry on playing to my best if I was so passionate about getting a call up to my country, and eventually, a move on bigger wages when the time was right or my contract had ran out.

All I'm bothered about is what's best for the football club, and that is to keep your best players playing for it. As I said, there's three key reasons that totally invalidate any argument for selling your best players.

Also - to be perfectly honest, I couldn't give two shiny shits about your article either. It does precisely bugger all to change the cold hard fact that when a player is under contract, you can keep him to it if you have a backbone.

Last edited:
I'm not the player so I wouldn't give two shiny shits about him or his feelings. If I was though, I'd be pissed off no doubt about that, but I'd be able to understand it because I'd be able to see that it would probably be what I'd do if the roles were reversed.

What I'd also do is carry on playing to my best if I was so passionate about getting a call up to my country, and eventually, a move on bigger wages when the time was right or my contract had ran out.

All I'm bothered about is what's best for the football club, and that is to keep your best players playing for it. As I said, there's three key reasons that totally invalidate any argument for selling your best players.

Also - to be perfectly honest, I couldn't give two shiny shits about your article either. It does precisely bugger all to change the cold hard fact that when a player is under contract, you can keep him to it if you have a backbone.

Lol Barney, you dont give 'two shiny shits' about anything other than your own over inflated opinion.

Yes brill idea! Wait till his contract runs out and the club gets as you would say two shiny shits for their player! :)

Lol Barney, you dont give 'two shiny shits' about anything other than your own over inflated opinion.

Yes brill idea! Wait till his contract runs out and the club gets as you would say two shiny shits for their player! :)
It's an opinion based on facts and a want for what is best for the football club. It's not based on a namby pamby attitude that puts the interests of the player over the interests of the club.

Have you heard yourself, Foxy? Just look at that rather unacceptable explanation. So, rather than 'up the level of spending' now (we assume they have the money, because otherwise why make that statement?) when we desperately need it, the club sells players of worth and talent at the expense of results and league position and spends a million bucks on a fucking pitch. To quote Littlejohn, 'you couldn't make it up'. According to you, it is a perfectly acceptable explanation to say they won't spend until we reach run a hundred metres. But guess what. Your fucking ankles are broke.

So ... they are 'disappointed' to have not been promoted, and can't figure it out. This after selling players and not buying better players?

"Hey, everybody. I have changed the engine on my car from a 4.1 cu in big block V8 to a 1100cc straight four. Can't seem to get it to go as fast as it used to."

Any ideas how? Sell Billy, Che and the beard?

pommpey

How did it not have any relevance? You were trying to make a point that public personas don't always match reality, which is a fair enough point to make. Just not with the examples you used. :)

As you acknowledge my post was about public personas I'm surprised you can't see how them not being pushovers was relevant. A point ive already made.

It really surprises me where people dream up these figures from.
In all my time I have only found out one players wages. That was Alan Quinn. How? He told me himself. When he came he cut his wages in half and it eas not even the lower figure mentioned on here at a time when the club WAS in the money and able to pay. Check out how much we payed for season tickets and what we got in prize money in the championship and premiership.
So how people think multiple players are

Alan Quinn signed I thinknin 2004 when our income was only around a million more than now. That's a fact and like you ive spoken to him because he went out with someone I knows family member. I certainly wouldn't query the fact his wages werent that high as you say when he joined though because of Gillespies comments about what he was paid in his book. That's eleven years plus ago though, much has changed since then.

It's an opinion based on facts and a want for what is best for the football club. It's not based on a namby pamby attitude that puts the interests of the player over the interests of the club.

It's actually an opinion based on what you believe the facts to be. Nothing more.

Having possibly been promoted in the meantime.

You don't get it, you'll never get it.

I'm not by any means an ITK, but a client of mine who spent an afternoon drinking with somebody at the Lane told me that NC refused to accept any blame for us not getting promoted and refused to change his boring, negative style of play. He also wanted to sign a "crock" from Derby. It would also appear that he'd ( allegedly) alienated a fair few of the playing staff.

UTB & FTP

I recently heard the same re alienating the players. The board (or at least McCabe) were annoyed that Clough had fallen out with a number of players, several of whom had been banished to training with the under 21s, and was refusing to even try to reconcile with them, making them worthless despite their large wages. In a nutshell, Clough had fallen out with too many people.

Possibly.

That's an auntie, bollocks, uncle argument.

Whereas your alternative strategy is seeing us get worse every season. It has failed.

No point in debating it further with you though. I understand your position.

Back
Top Bottom