CONFIRMED Incoming - Chris Wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So equally harsh to knock him on both counts then?

I'm not knocking him, I'm questioning Barney's reasons as to why he's the man for the job. It's taken him 15 years to get to the top of Division 4, the highest he's ever been as a manager. He may well have performed well under difficult circumstances in some of those seasons, I don't know enough to comment but it's a huge step up to come to SUFC and a huge leap of faith for us as a club to go for him given his track record in terms of achievement and experience at this level.

The prior discussion was categorically not hypothetical. However, to answer your question he'd be up there for me. It would help to have a list of unemployed managers to see what's what though.

It's taken him two years to get to where they are now, yet you want Adkins out after 8 months.

I'll be generous, where were the Cobblers after Wilder had been in charge for 18 months (2 transfer windows)?
For ease of checking: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/tables/9484388/League-Two-table-2014-15.html

Every alternative you mention has taken longer than what Adkins has been with us to make an impact yet you want any of them to replace him.

Do you care to comment on Wilder's previous 14 years in management when his one success was a play-off victory in the Conference (having almost thrown it away giving up a 5 point lead at the top). ?

Similar to Clough's record prior to coming to us.

Similar to Clough's record prior to coming to us.

Apart from his 5 years in the Chumpionship with Derby ;)

Clough had a similar non-league record to Wilder's now but when you look at his record since (Clough), it kind of backs up the point I'm making.

Apart from his 5 years in the Chumpionship with Derby ;)

Clough had a similar non-league record to Wilder's now but when you look at his record since (Clough), it kind of backs up the point I'm making.
They were treading water in his 5 years at Derby and in his time with us he showed he was noy very good at handling possibly the biggest budget in the division.

It does back up your point , I made the same point somewhere earlier in this thread a while back.

Edit: I'm not knocking Wilder BTW if he gets them up this season he'll have done a brilliant job. Clough I never rated as a manger and I said that when he joined us.

- Effective in executing a working recruitment strategy
- Passion
- Grit
- No nonsense attitude - Warnock-esque
- Natural leader
- Spirit
- Directness about his manner and approach

I'm also going to bite. Prior to the start of this season, how many of those attributes did you believe Nigel Adkins did not possess? In his three promotions from this division (2 with "overachieving to be in the Championship" Scunthorpe and one with Southampton which was the followed up by a promotion to the Premiership the season after where he by no means failed) he has surely demonstrated all of those quite well. Granted he wasn't a raging success at Reading, but even there he was managing a club on the decline. If you want to look solely at attributes and past achievements there is no better fit to manage United right now than Nigel Adkins.

personally think that it would always be very difficult for chris wilder .he is more of a blade than warnock/adams have ever been ! he has so many friends that are proper blades fans,goes to home away games with them ,stag nights ,birthday do´s etc, and i think it would be an impossible task as he would have to distance himself from them /us . he´s a personal friend of mine and has been since he was a young lad when he first signed .just cant see how it could ever work .its a pity ,as the way he goes about the job is the right way in my opinion , doesnt suffer big time charlies ,and nothing less than 100%. saying that i dont believe adkins going anywhere . see you all at rochdale ..flights booked !! UTB !

personally think that it would always be very difficult for chris wilder .he is more of a blade than warnock/adams have ever been ! he has so many friends that are proper blades fans,goes to home away games with them ,stag nights ,birthday do´s etc, and i think it would be an impossible task as he would have to distance himself from them /us . he´s a personal friend of mine and has been since he was a young lad when he first signed .just cant see how it could ever work .its a pity ,as the way he goes about the job is the right way in my opinion , doesnt suffer big time charlies ,and nothing less than 100%. saying that i dont believe adkins going anywhere . see you all at rochdale ..flights booked !! UTB !
Yep with a back ground he has it would be almost impossible for him at the lane.Can you imagine the situation unfolding if things don't go well for him,his private and social life would be turned upside down.No matter what happens with Adkins we have to steer clear of Chris Wilder for his and the blades sakes.He maybe would love the job but I hope it never happens.

Why speculate on something that is most unlikely to happen The manager's job at the lane is taken. Just like a boarding house in Blackpool the NO VACANCY sign is in the window

not talking about present time just saying about chris and utd and dont think it will ever happen ,i actually wrote at the end that i dont believe adkins going anywhere ,and i hope he doesnt

Yep with a back ground he has it would be almost impossible for him at the lane.Can you imagine the situation unfolding if things don't go well for him,his private and social life would be turned upside down.No matter what happens with Adkins we have to steer clear of Chris Wilder for his and the blades sakes.He maybe would love the job but I hope it never happens.

one of the reasons Warnock cited for going when he did. He didn't want to end up in a situation where he couldn't take his son to Bramall Lane any more.

not talking about present time just saying about chris and utd and dont think it will ever happen ,i actually wrote at the end that i dont believe adkins going anywhere ,and i hope he doesnt

Sorry Malagablade my post was not aimed at you. I did read ,and I agree with what you say. The thread seemed very long to me with the likely hood, as you sayit would never happen:)

He wouldn't get a mention if he had no United connections. He's a complete nonentity.

Bladey Bladey Claptrap. It never changes. Sack a manager with a proven record of success after less than a season and bring in a former Blade on the back of 15 years of not much.

Only in S2.....

He wouldn't get a mention if he had no United connections. He's a complete nonentity.

Bladey Bladey Claptrap. It never changes. Sack a manager with a proven record of success after less than a season and bring in a former Blade on the back of 15 years of not much.

Only in S2.....

Providing an alternative view (Not disagreeing with your point), you could also say that Adkins is hanging onto a past reputation, in his last two jobs (Reading and United) he's not exactly pulled up any trees.

I'm worried, all this talk of changing managers. I know it's not a beauty contest, and god knows we've had our fair share of nobbled fizz-hogs who've masqueraded as managers, but have you seen Wilder? The first thought was that of a Kia-Ora orange who's just been dumped in a divorce case with no house to return to. Mind you, it never stopped old ruddy cheeks Ferguson doing well at Man Utd, so perhaps I'll withdraw that observation........seriously, get off Adkins back. Personally I feel we've been lead a merry dance this season, the inference that we wouldn't sell within the first weeks of the season, then we sell one of our better players within days of saying that, makes you wonder about the ambition or aspiration that exists, if any, within this club. Give Adkins this season to reduce the playing staff, bring in who he thinks is better equipped to strengthen a promotion push, and then we'll see whether he's the one to deliver a move up the league for us. He'll live or die by his own efforts, not those of the directors or the dire circumstances he's been handed with a view to sorting out.

I'm worried, all this talk of changing managers. I know it's not a beauty contest, and god knows we've had our fair share of nobbled fizz-hogs who've masqueraded as managers, but have you seen Wilder? The first thought was that of a Kia-Ora orange who's just been dumped in a divorce case with no house to return to. Mind you, it never stopped old ruddy cheeks Ferguson doing well at Man Utd, so perhaps I'll withdraw that observation........seriously, get off Adkins back. Personally I feel we've been lead a merry dance this season, the inference that we wouldn't sell within the first weeks of the season, then we sell one of our better players within days of saying that, makes you wonder about the ambition or aspiration that exists, if any, within this club. Give Adkins this season to reduce the playing staff, bring in who he thinks is better equipped to strengthen a promotion push, and then we'll see whether he's the one to deliver a move up the league for us. He'll live or die by his own efforts, not those of the directors or the dire circumstances he's been handed with a view to sorting out.

Did you not see tango Adkins when he joined United?

But on a serious not, yes, he's had to 'make do and mend' a little, but its also about how he handles the situation. In my opinion, he could've and perhaps should've had the experience to do better. He's not exactly been quick to react and rectify some of the situations.

That said, we'll see in the next few weeks and months how he will handle things as more players come back to fitness (Hammond, Cuvelier, Wallace, Wallace etc)

Did you not see tango Adkins when he joined United?

But on a serious not, yes, he's had to 'make do and mend' a little, but its also about how he handles the situation. In my opinion, he could've and perhaps should've had the experience to do better. He's not exactly been quick to react and rectify some of the situations.

That said, we'll see in the next few weeks and months how he will handle things as more players come back to fitness (Hammond, Cuvelier, Wallace, Wallace etc)

Agree with that summary Swiss. I know managers and directors often live in a bubble of their own creation, but wouldn't it be refreshing if, after the cliche of how vital the "12th man on the terraces" is meant to be to the team, that a manager actually delivers a heartfelt message that we believe for a change? Of course, subtle messages delivered in oblique terms don't make for healthy communication. The club asks fans to part with their money, continue to turn up in numbers, but at that point the partnership seems to end. And woe betide anyone who offers a healthy, well considered critique, can't have that can we?

As for your first point, now was it a coincidence that Adkins, and the former Cambridge manager, Atkins, both shared a love of tan-maker's art? Mind you, Phil Brown is a massive devotee of the golden glimmer, so little point trying to out do that crinkled fan of tanning effects.

Only in S2.....

He might not be the right man for the job, but to describe him as a nonentity is nonsense.

I do think Adkins has a long term plan for our club and one that will be successful but that won't happen if we overreact to results. How can someone lay down foundations in less than 12 months? Especially when their first mission is to offload half the squad.

Results no longer surprise me with the squad we have and what people need to remember is that Adkins has always said that this squad is not promotion ready.

Changing manager brings us back to square one again.

I do think Adkins has a long term plan for our club and one that will be successful but that won't happen if we overreact to results. How can someone lay down foundations in less than 12 months? Especially when their first mission is to offload half the squad.

Results no longer surprise me with the squad we have and what people need to remember is that Adkins has always said that this squad is not promotion ready.

Couldn't agree more he needs time to build a team,but for sure he won't have given up on this season with 13 games to go and within touching distance.There is a clutch of clubs in with a shout of 5 and

Couldn't agree more he needs time to build a team,but for sure he won't have given up on this season with 13 games to go and within touching distance.There is a clutch of clubs in with a shout of 5 and
To finish 6 spot and we are one Adkins will go for it ime sure

Agree with all that, my one major concern is the quality of personnel that exist on our board of directors. We seem to dither, at least that's the appearance we give when mulling over the quality of potential signings. I doubt Wigan had the same energy sapping hurdles to consider when they signed their recent recruits, and all we do is look on, comment enviously, and continue to repeat the same weary mistakes as we've done for at least the last couple of decades. I know that the ideal of an uber-wealthy businessman taking a grip of this club is fanciful, but wouldn't it be nice to replace any semblance of democratic decision making, with all it's faults and own goal procrastination, and see a visionary, single vision, approach to actually taking this club forward. We don't even flatter to deceive any more. Nice stadium, super space-age pitch, great fan-base, and a few (and I do mean few) good to decent footballers. Judgement is still out on Adkins. Next season is his moment of truth, but the board have so much to answer for. Other than that, there's a huge amount of work that needs addressing.....and that means now, not at some undetermined future point.

He might not be the right man for the job, but to describe him as a nonentity is nonsense.

It might be for silly Bladey Blades. The rest of the football community would look at his CV and beg to differ.

Nonentity. Fucking Bladey Bladey Nonentity. Read and learn.

Looks as though it was a good shout in the OP :) ... all the gob-shites who knew best in reply, perhaps it's now time to eat humble (if I knew how to do 'um this is where I'd be inserting the old two finger salute :) )

Back
Top Bottom