Adkins Interview Ahead of Donny (A)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I don't agree. The standard of the average league one player isn't very high, and we've seen quite average players from our academy be released and go to other clubs and perform comfortably at this level.
So seeing that, if I were paying out the money I might say this player you want to bring in is actually not a massive increase in standard to player x in the academy therefore let use the money more sensibly elsewhere.
What we've not seen is many of our academy players step up recently, they should be if it's doing it's job so therefore 50% isn't a crazy figure, in addition are we honestly saying that one of the young forward wouldn't have shown more than Higdon (for example) for his wages and exposure to the first team. The academy have also had it quite cushy whereby they get their funding, there isn't any real pressure on them to produce and they always have the excuse that players weren't given a chance. Now they live or die by their results and the pressure is rightly on them to produce given the funding they receive.
I don't think it's an arbitrary figure, but I see nothing wrong with it as an aspirational target given what I've already covered about the general skill level of this league, but the academy does need to raise it's game and be seriously challenged to meet this target if they want to remain.
All this then frees up spending for where we really need additions, areas of the team where we don't have someone coming through, or somewhere we were clearly need a bit of quality. I'd much rather our funds be spent on those types of players rather than Joey Average who'll just come, pull a wage and not really move us forward.
Of course, we could close it and actually have some money to spend on players. Granted, we keep fucking that up when we do, but some thing's got to give.

Which a has got sweet fuck all to do with his interviews, but thanks anyway.

UTB
I know i don't like them either !but i don't take much notice of interviews its on the pitch i notice. I don't think there is a need to listen to his waffle just look at the bad decisions on the pitch .I'm so frustrated and shocked with his decisions just hope it turns around and he does do the business soon.

I know i don't like them either !but i don't take much notice of interviews its on the pitch i notice. I don't think there is a need to listen to his waffle just look at the bad decisions on the pitch .I'm so frustrated and shocked with his decisions just hope it turns around and he does do the business soon.
Random other fact, I'm sure your mother is pleased with her hairdresser too. Why not start a thread about that?

This one was about Adkins' interviews, for the sake of clarity.

UTB

alcoblade and Pierre's PC its not so much what Adkins says but more what he doesn't say when asked... Mainly it's about the questions he's not asked.

Has he really faced any difficult questions?

alcoblade and Pierre's PC its not so much what Adkins says but more what he doesn't say when asked... Mainly it's about the questions he's not asked.

But my point is that managers rarely give anything of significance wnawsy I interviews, so we should t expect more.

I understand the criticism of on the field activity, where we are poor. But this scattergun attack of literally everything is just a bit lost on me.

UTB

No, because they don't ask him any. Not that he'd give it a fraction of a straight answer any way but that's beside the point. They haven't even asked him about the reasoning behind the strikers over the centre halves and an overall of five signings, of which the two centre halves criteria still hasn't been achieved. Really is remarkable - both the situation itself and the complete absence of any questions about it.

From the games I've seen this season and after watching Posh against L1 I think the standard of players is quite high. In fact, I don't think there's a huge difference between the top of L1 and the bottom of the Championship.
Players who are good enough for L1 aren't really what we need. We need players who are good at L1 level, with the potential to play at a higher level.
Which players have we released since we've been in L1 that are performing comfortably at this level?
Kyle McFadzean, Billy Sharp, Jon Forte, Nicky Law, Evan Horwood, Kevan Hurst, Ben Purkiss, Chris Robertson, all played a fair number of games at league one level and some higher and there must be others. I'd also add Connor Brown but he was released for different reasons but I think we know he'd have been released anyway.
Not saying any were going to be world beaters, but how many of the kids released could have been on a level with some of the dross we've brought in and the money would have been better spent elsewhere.

How many days until we don't have to year this trotted out again?
  • recruitment? need to balance 93 days if they come in now won't be available for the play-offs
we've done this for the last 5 years and for the last 5 years we've not got promoted.

May not work?

But my point is that managers rarely give anything of significance wnawsy I interviews, so we should t expect more.

I understand the criticism of on the field activity, where we are poor. But this scattergun attack of literally everything is just a bit lost on me.

UTB
Yeah can't disagree with that. Not really looking for him giving away the secrets but more insight would be appreciated. Otherwise it's just cliches and sound bites and these don't vary from week to week

As a result, the statements by William Henry Foulkes that it's an "interesting" interview are precisely the opposite of that... But then what do we expect

Kyle McFadzean, Billy Sharp, Jon Forte, Nicky Law, Evan Horwood, Kevan Hurst, Ben Purkiss, Chris Robertson, all played a fair number of games at league one level and some higher and there must be others. I'd also add Connor Brown but he was released for different reasons but I think we know he'd have been released anyway.
Not saying any were going to be world beaters, but how many of the kids released could have been on a level with some of the dross we've brought in and the money would have been better spent elsewhere.
I asked how many since we've been down in L1. Players like Horwood were no use for us at the time we released him because we needed players who were good in the championship, not average L1 players.

I asked how many since we've been down in L1. Players like Horwood were no use for us at the time we released him because we needed players who were good in the championship, not average L1 players.
Really 'cos those good Championship players we bought put us in league one? I think the point I was making is quite clear.

Really 'cos those good Championship players we bought put us in league one? I think the point I was making is quite clear.
Piss poor management put us in L1. The players from our first season in L1 that didn't retire or get sent to prison tended to return to the Championship or higher. Apart from Doyle and Collins, of course.
I will accept that Evan Horwood probably wouldn't have been much worse than Nosworthy, even if he was a midfielder.

You may think your point is clear but it's not. Unless you were just trying to imply I'm a bit stupid.

My point is this; we have not released any players so far who could have done a job for us at the time we released them, or within a reasonable time of releasing them.

The players we released when we were in the championship were from a pre EPPP Cat 1 academy. That they now may be good enough to do a job for us is more indicative of our failings than their success.

The players we have released recently are not from a Cat 1 academy. They are not good enough for a L1 promotion campaign, nor are they likely to be within the time frame we need to get promoted in.

Yeah can't disagree with that. Not really looking for him giving away the secrets but more insight would be appreciated. Otherwise it's just cliches and sound bites and these don't vary from week to week

As a result, the statements by William Henry Foulkes that it's an "interesting" interview are precisely the opposite of that... But then what do we expect
I agree it does come across as very clichéd. But to be fair to WHF, when you strip out the cliché's and bullet point it, there's a fair bit of meat to it.

Of course, people don't want to hear it, or don't believe it - but that says more about results. The fact is, when you stuck in the middle of the third division and not winning matches, there's nothing that can be said to make people think "ah, that's alright then", so he's just on to a loser.

I remember everyone getting so wound up about Warnock's interviews. He was a clown and everyone knew better then. Half of the fans wanted him out, based enormously on his perception from interviews in the media. We let him go, and everything worked out so well...............

UTB

All we'd have done by playing shit academy players instead of buying shit players is saved money. We'd still be in the third division. The root cause of our problems remains buying shit players, ever since Warnock left. He also bought some shit, but my God how history has vindicated him overall.

UTB

"We've only lost 3 games in three months..." when will the bloody interviewer kindly remind Adkins that yes he may have only lost 3 in three months, but he's only won 4 in three and a half months, and 7 in 5 months!

Oh, and Nigel, we know you like to be positive, but a game against Doncaster Rovers is not a "big derby" game and not something to get excited about.

Makes me wonder how Weir, Clough and Adkins would react in a game against the pigs.

Can't see any of them coping.

I don't agree. The standard of the average league one player isn't very high, and we've seen quite average players from our academy be released and go to other clubs and perform comfortably at this level.

Good point well made but I'm not planning hanging around much longer at this level for the academy to be advantageous.

I agree it does come across as very clichéd. But to be fair to WHF, when you strip out the cliché's and bullet point it, there's a fair bit of meat to it.

Of course, people don't want to hear it, or don't believe it - but that says more about results. The fact is, when you stuck in the middle of the third division and not winning matches, there's nothing that can be said to make people think "ah, that's alright then", so he's just on to a loser.

I remember everyone getting so wound up about Warnock's interviews. He was a clown and everyone knew better then. Half of the fans wanted him out, based enormously on his perception from interviews in the media. We let him go, and everything worked out so well...............

UTB
I think the thing with Adkins is that he doesn't really change his pre match interview, it's always pretty much the same... From what I've read as I find him terrible to listen to.

What I'd expect from Adkins is more on the the player performances - critical if necessary.

I'd be interested in listening to his interviews if he was more open and honest, ask a direct question, get a direct answer. If a player has been shit, address it. Too much sugar coating this season and certain players have not been accountable... Yet others have disappeared off the face of the earth.

A great example would be how Che Adams is developing, what's been done to bring him through to the next level - a fitter, trimmer, more consistent winger/ striker.

Seemed alright to be me in the interview and he seems to have moved on from the Wigan match.

It's probably the best aspect to Adkins is that he does not seem to dwell on the past and focus on the future.

The major downside are the players he has to work with, how can you fix the problem when you have nothing to fix it with? He says the board are supportive but I still don't think he will get any cash to get anyone in on loan.

Always worth listening to - but this one is in particular goes over interesting and important ground. Spends a fair chunk of time talking about his understanding of the club, his commitment, long term vision and short term goals.

NB alcoblade steer clear - he mentions having a philosophy two or three times*
  • RS: Have you seen the reaction you wanted? NA: We've got to respond
  • desperately want to do well
  • trained well but measured in the arena
  • mentions not scoring in the last two games
  • working hard - but we should be working hard
  • got to get results, performances and give the crowd something to be happy about
  • Doncaster play a couple of ways: three CHs or a diamond
  • looking forward to the derby game
  • long discussion on the short term need for results over a longer term desire to have a play through the thirds philosophy at the club, play quick dynamic football, score loads of goals, good possession, need the right players, and a spirit, takes time to stamp that authority, developing juniors to fit that pattern, aim for 50% academy players in the first team gets another mention [that's three times at least, I reckon]
  • can do that if you have time but we need to get out of this division which involves scrambling points
  • moving the ball quickly and brightly gets another mention [this is a real issue and has been since Gillingham - it might even have been mentioned then]
  • my philosophy is good football, attacking football
  • right now it's about winning games
  • RS: Do you feel a need to change? NA: Keep same team? Stick with it? Change the formation? Those are the decisions you have to make
  • got to take your chances
  • we've had more goalscoring opportunities and George has had less to do than a lot of teams
  • it's about getting a balance
  • can talk about philosophies for ever and ever but we want to get promoted now
  • mentions listening to the supporters and recognising the frustration of being down here for so long
  • RS: Has eight managers in eight and a half years had an effect? [Interesting that there's a good, stock answer to this and it takes him a few seconds to find it] NA: It's not for me to say [found it, I'd've thought that would be a reflex response] but it does take time to build
  • mentions being employed bc of his his track record
  • need a plan, a strategy
  • understanding the club more and more
  • wants to be in the PL with Sheffield United, wants to get promoted with Sheffield United
  • LMA [League Managers' Association presumably] stat is average tenure is ten months
  • need a clear idea of what does a Sheffield United player look like?
  • he has a very clear vision of that
  • mentions that the supporters have experience of success of a team playing direct football
  • talks about toing and froing between managers and playing styles and the need to develop
  • SAF took a while, Wenger did, Neil [Warnock] did
  • mentions the supporters again wanting to see attacking hardworking football
  • Do we need a long term approach? Both owners very supportive
  • need a period of time to work through it
  • I feel for the football club, not as though you're looking to jump elsewhere
  • big challenge but exciting [I think this is not just a platitude. The club has enormous potential (obviously) and I think he can see that. It takes a certain amount of bravery, confidence, and experience to face up to and embrace the challenge of building a team and a club playing his style of football in front of 33 000. Sounds to me like he's up for it. I hope so. Let's see.]
  • want to get promoted? find a solution
  • letting in goals playing expansive football gets a mention
  • we want hard working players, flair, and possession with a purpose
  • players nursing ailments
  • squad will get utilised
  • Bob gone through the 45' 60' 90' rehabilitation - good to go
  • recruitment? need to balance 93 days if they come in now won't be available for the play-offs
  • it'd give everyone a big lift to bring someone in
  • have to put them in the first team and they have to do the business
  • big desire to do something [the way this is talked up it sounds a lot like they expect movement, thought of course I might be misreading it]
  • sure the supporters will be behind the team making noise
  • (alluded to gets it's first use I think after nearly 17')
  • wants to get us winning games of football and making everybody happy
*I think having a philosophy is different from doing philosophy which could involve standing around contemplating whether the opposition actually exist.

Adkins interviews are just "white noise" to me now. . . . Gone beyond annoying.

Aiming for 50% of the team to come through the Accademy...

Translation: We're potless, there's no serious money for transfers.

Any club is lucky if they get maybe three or four players in five years come through the Accademy to make it as a first teamer.

Statements saying we want half the team to come through that route are deeply worrying.

This was a similar aim when they opened it 15 years ago, although I seem to recall old big nose Colin saying he wanted a team full of academy products. Either were fair enough comments and admirable sentiments, and we'd have that now in the first team if the useless tossers on the board stopped selling off any decent prospect that came through the ranks. We certainly wouldn't be a mid-table 3rd division team now if they'd kept all academy products that made it in the first team.

In regards to the OP imo Adkins interviews are never interesting, they are nothing more than regurgitated positive b***ocks (is Adkins football's version of Peter Moores in cricket?). If anything his interviews only reinstates what is partly wrong with the club, all far, far too cosy.

Seemed alright to be me in the interview and he seems to have moved on from the Wigan match.

It's probably the best aspect to Adkins is that he does not seem to dwell on the past and focus on the future.

The major downside are the players he has to work with, how can you fix the problem when you have nothing to fix it with? He says the board are supportive but I still don't think he will get any cash to get anyone in on loan.

I think it's hard to read between the lines but I got the sense from the interview that a loan or loans might be on the cards.

But this is all about tone of voice, context, and things unsaid, eg he didn't say:

Any loan player has to go straight into the first team and do the business *and those players are hard to find at the moment*.

Towards the end of the JTW the tune changed, and no-one in wasn't a huge surprise.

For now the loan conversations might be going elsewhere.

That said I think the level of scrutiny of these interviews is sometimes absurd. It's like a conference of literary scholars poring over Finnegan's Wake.

Unconsidered throwaway comments are analysed as though they were painstakingly constructed and deliberately layered with meaning.

Last four words in that post are the problem, there seems to be no direction as to how we are going to get those players, the transfer fund looks bare and we are falling back into relying on loans and the academy... That way lies League 2 and below.

He just wants this season out of the way then the real work can start (although it's probably started already).

Back
Top Bottom