Central Anel

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Barmyblade

Reaction score
Apologies if duplication, and probably a massive over simplification based on too small a sample, but this season we have conceded 22 goals in 8 games, a goal every 32 mins.

Anel has played the central role three times (I think). First 80 mins v spurs (until Trusty came on), last 35 mins v west ham (when Egan went off), and first 35 mins v Fulham (poor Bash!). In addition he played centrally for the full 90 mins against spurs in the FA cup game last season.

And in those 240 minutes we haven’t conceded a single goal? Just a thought……

You're right of course.

But sadly we have no first team RCBs left at the club now.

After the Spurs FA cup game last season, we had a glimpse into the future with a mobile CCB and a midfield packed with energy, hustle and verve.

Our ability to not only learn that lesson, but to actively ignore it is staggering.

Looking at our midfield this season I can't help but think we'd have been no worse by having Arblaster and Coulibally chasing shadows for 8 games....

This is why I think the whole 352 system works as we can move people around.

Apologies if duplication, and probably a massive over simplification based on too small a sample, but this season we have conceded 22 goals in 8 games, a goal every 32 mins.

Anel has played the central role three times (I think). First 80 mins v spurs (until Trusty came on), last 35 mins v west ham (when Egan went off), and first 35 mins v Fulham (poor Bash!). In addition he played centrally for the full 90 mins against spurs in the FA cup game last season.

And in those 240 minutes we haven’t conceded a single goal? Just a thought……
Bloody statistics, your observations might be right but Anel has been a shadow of Championship Anel. He’s been left wanting for so many of the goals watching on as players walk in front of him. That plus when was the last time he made any meaningful runs like he used to do. :(

Whos the u21s RCB ?
Might be at the stage where it's a forced issue.
Trusty was great on Saturday. Keep him in over Robinson. Anel at CB and a youth at RCB
Gomis is left footed I think and that's the only CB I know, I'm not an academy encyclopedia but if he's not a noticeable name then he must be quite far down the pecking order.

Boy was i way off the mark with the title of this thread.
Thought someone had put this in gen chat instead of pig n truffle.
Seriously, I said this earlier in the season when it looked like Egan had forgotten how to defend, with bash or A N Other at Rcb, Anel at ccb and trusty or Robbo at lcb.
I suppose we could run with trusty at rcb until we can maybe bring in a loan .

Trusty will go central. Hecky won't want a lefty at RCB.

Thought he was a RWB? Doesn't loom big enough for a Centre Back.

Either way, we're a bit screwed aren't we
If we're going to lose every week, I'd rather do it whilst Sachdev, Osula, Arblaster, Peck, Marsh are gaining experience as opposed to some £5m / £30k a week mercenary who will be off once we're relegated ...

If we're going to lose every week, I'd rather do it whilst Sachdev, Osula, Arblaster, Peck, Marsh are gaining experience as opposed to some £5m / £30k a week mercenary who will be off once we're relegated ...
Oh yeah, getting absolutely tonked every week will be good for their development

Oh yeah, getting absolutely tonked every week will be good for their development
Youre righ, it would. Getting game time in an environment where the pace and athleticism is off the charts will set them up for next season when everything is slower and easier, and when they're back at this level, they'll know what to expect.

The flip side is being in a culture where you're sat on the bench watching some nondescript journeyman picking up £30k a week and getting tonked isn't going to be any worse....

Youre righ, it would. Getting game time in an environment where the pace and athleticism is off the charts will set them up for next season when everything is slower and easier, and when they're back at this level, they'll know what to expect.

The flip side is being in a culture where you're sat on the bench watching some nondescript journeyman picking up £30k a week and getting tonked isn't going to be any worse....
Surely it's better to be out on loan or playing in the youth teams where they're actually getting to touch the ball rather than chasing shadows every week and having their morale and confidence pounded into dust. Chuck 'em in now and it would do more long term damage to their development.

George has played RCB for us, he could do a job there. Think I'd have him straight back in at RB though over Bogle who looks an absolute bomb scare defensively.
Bogle hasn't been the same since Areola took him out at Fulham in 2021. He's fortunate that there were several others playing even worse (Thomas, Archer) on Saturday otherwise he may have been hooked for Seriki.

It’s looking increasingly likely Souza will play at CB at some point this season i think. Briefly played there previously in his career and we’re very short on options.
Anel has already picked up 3 bookings.

You're right of course.

But sadly we have no first team RCBs left at the club now.
Assuming we could be wedded to the formation or at least the three, could Souza play RCB? Has he played there before?

We’re getting to that stage with only about 18 seniors left to start understanding where else certain players can slot in.

Trusty will go central. Hecky won't want a lefty at RCB.

Thought he was a RWB? Doesn't loom big enough for a Centre Back.

Either way, we're a bit screwed aren't we
We've got both Seriki and Sachdev in the U21. Both prefer RWB, but usually Sachdev's been used at RCB.

Connor Barratt used to be first choice, but is on loan at Solihull Moors. We've signed a scottish lad, Evan Easton, who I think is right footed, but played CB on his U21 debut.

Assuming we could be wedded to the formation or at least the three, could Souza play RCB? Has he played there before?

We’re getting to that stage with only about 18 seniors left to start understanding where else certain players can slot in.
With his running style I feel he wouldn't cope with the pace of players at this level, but you never know.

Anel has looked far more comfortable in the middle of the defence. But sadly we didn't sign a centre back in the window when it was blindingly obvious we needed an extra body, meaning Anel is now our only fit RCB. So I imagine he will probably stay there with Trusty playing in the middle and Robinson on the left.

I have been dead against the idea of playing a back 4, but given we're down to 3 fit centre backs it might be the better option now:

lineup.png

That, or we go for the nuclear option 😁

lineup (1).png

You can't sign any player loan or otherwise until January, however, you can buy a player who was released and has not found a new club. like De Gea.

You can't sign any player loan or otherwise until January, however, you can buy a player who was released and has not found a new club. like De Gea.

Whilst we could sign a free agent; our squad places have all been allocated until January so unless they were under 21; wouldn’t be able to play until then.

I know I'll get shot down but Why not try McBurnie at centre back whilst we have injuries, he's always back defending corners etc, he can't do much worse, can bring the ball out and still be effective at our corners etc

Bloody statistics, your observations might be right but Anel has been a shadow of Championship Anel. He’s been left wanting for so many of the goals watching on as players walk in front of him. That plus when was the last time he made any meaningful runs like he used to do. :(
This, I’m going to get pelters but for me, Anel is beginning to look like the new Lundstram. Miles off what he used to be, ambles around whilst people play round him, no energy and his body language is awful. He looks totally disinterested and, for me, is a liability. I’m just waiting for a self inflicted red card to seal the deal.

Surely it's better to be out on loan or playing in the youth teams where they're actually getting to touch the ball rather than chasing shadows every week and having their morale and confidence pounded into dust. Chuck 'em in now and it would do more long term damage to their development.
What if they are good enough to cope both with the nature of play and the disappointments ? Then it will enhance their development

This, I’m going to get pelters but for me, Anel is beginning to look like the new Lundstram. Miles off what he used to be, ambles around whilst people play round him, no energy and his body language is awful. He looks totally disinterested and, for me, is a liability. I’m just waiting for a self inflicted red card to seal the deal.
He not looked right since the bought of glandular reaver. Known people who have had it and struggled for 12-18 months. Whatever, agree total cliff edge in performances.

He not looked right since the bought of glandular reaver. Known people who have had it and struggled for 12-18 months. Whatever, agree total cliff edge in performances.
Yep, to give him the benefit of the doubt, it may just be that he simply can’t regain his previous level of fitness- whatever’s the case, summats up wi the lad

Shame we didn't go in for Conor Coady in the end - ironically because we didn't think RCB was a concern

I don't see the issue with playing a left-footer at RCB and I think it's a bit weak if that's the thought process.

It didn't stop us picking Baldock, Bogle and Osborn on their 'wrong' side. They were emergency situations and so is this.

We have to pick our 3 best remaining defenders. Anel is clearly a good fit for the central role so it's a toss up which of Trusty and Robinson plays on the right.

Back
Top Bottom