Football as we know it, is now dead!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
A quote from Sky Sports journalist Alan Myers: referring to Everton takeover.
”I think what 777 will bring is a serious business sense to the club. The club needs a serious strategy, not fan or sentiment ownership, as nice as that is. The days of the ‘People’s Club’ has gone in football now.”
It‘s so sad to read opinions like this and I feel our game, which has in the past been referred to as ‘the working man’s opera’ is now dying a slow death. As said many times, the day the top teams FO to create their own European league, will be day we get our football back to what it was before Sky came in with their mega bucks. It’s disturbing and sad.

”I think what 777 will bring is a serious business sense to the club. The club needs a serious strategy, not fan or sentiment ownership, as nice as that is. The days of the ‘People’s Club’ has gone in football now.”
It‘s so sad to read opinions like this and I feel our game, which has in the past been referred to as ‘the working man’s opera’ is now dying a slow death. As said many times, the day the top teams FO to create their own European league, will be day we get our football back to what it was before Sky came in with their mega bucks. It’s disturbing and sad.

Josh Wander, chief executive of 777Partners(owners of Genoa, Hertha Berlin, Vasco, Standard Liege, Red Star and now Everton): "The vision for this football group is that one day we’re not selling hot dogs and beers to our customers, but that we’re selling insurance or financial services or whatever"​

I can't wait :rolleyes:

Josh Wander, chief executive of 777Partners(owners of Genoa, Hertha Berlin, Vasco, Standard Liege, Red Star and now Everton): "The vision for this football group is that one day we’re not selling hot dogs and beers to our customers, but that we’re selling insurance or financial services or whatever"​

If Everton Bank reflects how they are on pitch prepare for a recession!

As soon as it became commonplace to pay mediocre and replaceable footballers generational wealth then all control was lost. At no point am I blaming the players, you take what you are offered but that has now filtered down the leagues and players are (rightly, given market conditions) expecting to be paid at levels that outstrip the ability of normal clubs to afford without taking on huge debt or being taken over by countries.

Now, the difference between the real rich clubs and everyone else is such that somebody like United is closer to Doncaster Rovers then Manchester City in terms of ability to compete

To compete satisfactorily the owner has to be a billionaire or multi billionaire. To ' protect ' their investment it will eventually become a closed shop Premier league with no relegation/promotion.

I was worried that the Championship would become a bit like the Prenier League With the richer yo yo clubs dominating and the rest just playing for the playoff places. It hasn't become this yet but that is only because of some poor decisions in some clubs. Watford owners have had enough West Brom owners bankrupt. Personally I think the clubs owned by Arabs and Americans will eventually break away to play in some form of Super League. I hope this happens and we would then get a genuinely competitive pyramid.

Wtf

owners of Genoa, Hertha Berlin, Vasco, Standard Liege, Red Star and now Everton

Genoa - 13th in Serie A
Hertha - 15th in Bundesliga 2
Vasco - 18th in Serie A
S. Liege - 12th in Belgian Pro League
Red Star - 3rd in Serbian SuperLiga
Everton - 18th in PL

They seem to be fantastic at running football clubs

I was worried that the Championship would become a bit like the Prenier League With the richer yo yo clubs dominating and the rest just playing for the playoff places. It hasn't become this yet but that is only because of some poor decisions in some clubs. Watford owners have had enough West Brom owners bankrupt. Personally I think the clubs owned by Arabs and Americans will eventually break away to play in some form of Super League. I hope this happens and we would then get a genuinely competitive pyramid.
Just said same in another thread:
When the European Super League stuff first came around I thought it would be a disgrace if it went ahead, would rip the soul out of English football and be incredibly unfair on the traditional fanbases of the teams involved.
Now, I think I'd almost welcome it. It's like they're trying to establish it in the existing league structure anyway - give every possible advantage to the top teams and remove the element of competition between the bigger and smaller teams.
I'm not sure the traditional fanbases I was worried for even exist, as the fans of the big teams seem to be affronted if we dare to compete with them and not roll over and have our bellies tickled while they stick 6 past us.
Go and have your wanky Super League where franchises owned by oil states and billionaires throw endless amounts of money at winning a competition with no real jeopardy and no real meaning. If you don't do it now, it looks like the Saudis might beat you to the punch.

Football, as it is, has been continually changing since a) it started, b) I was born, c) I started going, d) yesterday.
Every generation does, and will, look back to those as we knew it days.
That's the deal.

That's true, although there are definitely some notable watershed moments. Weirdly, one of the big watershed moments for me was Gordon Watson diving for Wednesday against Leeds live on ITV in about 1991. It seemed to herald a new era in cheating and was a genuine scandal. The commentators were absolutely stunned about it at the time. Happens ten times a game now.

Sky didn't come in with their Megabucks. Sky were just a middleman. It was football fans, who wanted to see their team (and other teams) play, on the Tele, in their living room, and who were happy to subscribe to a TV service to make that happen.

It was football fans Megabucks, channeled through Sky, which came in.

Some truth in this, sadly. However, more importantly for me, Bramall Lane will be rocking on Sunday, packed to the rafters with working people ( and us retirees!) roaring on our unfashionable team against the might of Saudi wealth. Football still has a strong heartbeat and deep roots in many places, and can hang on against the odds. Let’s shove it right up their rich arses and prove that there’s more to life than money.

Football as we know it, is now dead?

Football as we knew it died about 30 years ago.
Anyone mid 40s and younger doesn't really know what football was it's changed a fair bit in those 30 years too and it will change in the coming 30 too.

Real Tennis is still the same as it was I suspect. And hardly anyone watches it or plays it

An American company based in Miami that has no financial interest in any American sports teams. Has an average track record. Good luck Everton, I'm sure their fan base is fkin thrilled!!!

Bang on mate👍

Anyone mid 40s and younger doesn't really know what football was it's changed a fair bit in those 30 years too and it will change in the coming 30 too.

Real Tennis is still the same as it was I suspect. And hardly anyone watches it or plays it
FINALLY someone's made the Real Tennis comparison.

I can just imagine the Everton fans queuing for hot dogs, burgers, pies etc then going "While you're at it mate, can I open a Personal pension plan and I'll take one of them ISA's too"

Couldn't happen to a nicer club.

Some truth in this, sadly. However, more importantly for me, Bramall Lane will be rocking on Sunday, packed to the rafters with working people ( and us retirees!) roaring on our unfashionable team against the might of Saudi wealth. Football still has a strong heartbeat and deep roots in many places, and can hang on against the odds. Let’s shove it right up their rich arses and prove that there’s more to life than money.

I'm hoping we'll put the Saudi backed, mardy arse Geordies to the sword. :tumbleweed: I'll get mi cooart.

I’ve seen these kind of cliche comments for the past 20 years about “football is dead” and “greed is good” etc.

Also see the comments, it used to be a working man’s sport….which is true.

However the fact is….football has never been so popular or as lucrative….in its history.
Its now truly the national sport…a sport for all.

Its now become fashionable for the middle classes to love football…it’s also now a sport for women and girls.

In fact it’s now outgrown being a sport…The PL is massively popular around the globe….it’s become a global business.
Whether that’s for the best…I don’t know.

I remember reading so many reports around 2000 that the football bubble of success will soon burst…..but there’s no sign of it…the bubble is expanding.
Some would say exciting times ahead…..but Sheffielders as a general rule don’t like change…probably explains why potential new owners have cold feet.

Last edited:
Football as we know it, is now dead?

Football as we knew it died about 30 years ago.

True..Sky TV had a major impact….but the real start of the ethical downturn was when the game turned professional in the 1890’s.
Another milestone when football went down hill was in the 1960’s when Jimmy Hill campaigned to get rid of the minimum wage rule.

At least Sheffield FC can hold its head high sticking to its morals….for all the good it did for them.
Makes you wonder where Sheffield FC would be now if they’d shown interest in joining a the new pro league.
They would have probably played at Bramall Lane and there would have been no reason to form Sheffield United FC.

Last edited:
I’ve seen these kind of cliche comments for the past 20 years about “football is dead” and “greed is good” etc.

Also see the comments, it used to be a working man’s sport….which is true.

However the fact is….football has never been so popular or as lucrative….in its history.
Its now truly the national sport…a sport for all.

Its now become fashionable for the middle classes to love football…it’s also now a sport for women and girls.

In fact it’s now outgrown being a sport…The PL is massively popular around the globe….it’s become a global business.
Whether that’s for the best…I don’t know.

I remember reading so many reports around 2000 that the bubble of success will soon burst…..but there’s no sign of it.
Some would say exciting times ahead…..but Sheffielders as a general rule don’t like change.
Depends what you mean by "exciting times"? It's unlikely to involve the club I support

The ironic (and sad) thing is, we need a billionaire ourselves to be able to stay in the Premier League for any meaningful amount of time. Yet if that happened, and we became a lower end Prem team, struggling for points every year, paying hundreds of thousands of pounds per week to average foreign players with no connection to the fans, club, city or even country, I'd probably lose a lot of love for United anyway.

Back
Top Bottom