£29m still to spend?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BalticBlade

Reaction score
So the original budget was £20m.

According to the propaganda machine we've got £20m for Ndiaye, all of which is being reinvested.

Six million already spent on Traore and Slimane, and £5m more on Trusty.

That leaves £29m still to spend - is that how everyone else sees it?

And do you think we'll spend £29m between now and the end of the window?

According to the propaganda machine we've got £20m for Ndiaye, all of which is being reinvested.

That's how I see it, I think we'll spend £6m on Trusty, then a further £18m on an AM and CF. With the remainder going on loan fees.

Edit: *hope

Payment schedules are likely to differ from small fees to larger ones. We may have to have paid the three smaller fees upfront whereas the OM fee is likely to have been spread over 2/3/4 years. Consequently we will not have £29m available now.
I guess also there are agents and other fees to pay, so I would be happy to see us pay £15m in this and the next window.

Payment schedules are likely to differ from small fees to larger ones. We may have to have paid the three smaller fees upfront whereas the OM fee is likely to have been spread over 2/3/4 years. Consequently we will not have £29m available now.
I guess also there are agents and other fees to pay, so I would be happy to see us pay £15m in this and the next window.
You are right in that larger transfers are usually spread out. But there's nothing stopping us doing the same against the ndiaye installments. For example, we buy someone for £15m split into 3 £5m payments over the same course as we receive the ndiaye installments.

I don't believe anyone has confirmed the original budget was 20m. It seems to be a figure the Star has put out there and continues to work with.

Darren Smith said it wasn't 20m.

Don't shoot the messenger, just saying what I recall.

You are right in that larger transfers are usually spread out. But there's nothing stopping us doing the same against the ndiaye installments. For example, we buy someone for £15m split into 3 £5m payments over the same course as we receive the ndiaye installments.
True, but I was not expecting us to be buying one expensive player but two or three less costly ones, where we may have to pay upfront.

No way we will have received the 20 mill for Illi in one lump. Infact I don’t believe it even is that sum. Probs 14 upfront & 4 in add ons. Just a guess like. 10 mill will get reinvested at best

I was under the impression that the budget also included new money to be spent on wages. So Trusty doesn’t just take up £5m. He takes up £5m plus whatever he’ll earn this year - say it’s £15k per week that’s best part of an extra £1m for example. I’ve no knowledge of how much our new players will be paid but I think we need to factor that in as well.

The £20m for Illy won’t all be up front.

I’d work on a further £10-£12m.

UTB

Would be shocked if we spend anything like £29m in player fees between now & the end of the window.

My belief is that our NET spend will be close to £0 in fees. Right now we're at -£14m. £5m on Trusty will take us to -£9m.

Well its sounds like Trusty around 5-6 mill for sure, Souza ideally ( 10 mill quoted) if not then another CM on a perm, then an attacking midfielder/forward either a perm/or loan. Then depending on what's left in the kitty, other positions, further down the list of priorities. I would guess rights sided defensive cover, another forward and possibly GK.

I've heard all sorts of figures from absolutely nothing at all on fees, to £20m , to El Accounto saying it's won't be £20m.
Where are you plucking this figure out from and why do you believe that particular source, given your somewhat dubious ITK claims?

I was under the impression that the budget also included new money to be spent on wages. So Trusty doesn’t just take up £5m. He takes up £5m plus whatever he’ll earn this year - say it’s £15k per week that’s best part of an extra £1m for example. I’ve no knowledge of how much our new players will be paid but I think we need to factor that in as well.
It’ll be a fair bit more than £15k per week.

I am assuming that as well as the Championship “decreases” that players had built in to their contracts (of which there where 2 consecutive decreases), players will also have PL uplifts built in.

Our highest paid players are likely on somewhere between £30k - £40 k per week.

Sander will be one of them. Brewster another. Oli Mc not too far behind them 2.

UTB

Well its sounds like Trusty around 5-6 mill for sure, Souza ideally ( 10 mill quoted) if not then another CM on a perm, then an attacking midfielder/forward either a perm/or loan. Then depending on what's left in the kitty, other positions, further down the list of priorities. I would guess rights sided defensive cover, another forward and possibly GK.
Who is Souza ?

Would be shocked if we spend anything like £29m in player fees between now & the end of the window.

My belief is that our NET spend will be close to £0 in fees. Right now we're at -£14m. £5m on Trusty will take us to -£9m.
What figure are you believing that we got for Ndiaye?

No way we will have received the 20 mill for Illi in one lump. Infact I don’t believe it even is that sum. Probs 14 upfront & 4 in add ons. Just a guess like. 10 mill will get reinvested at best
Yes but we also won’t pay all of our fees up front (necessarily)

It's all well and good quoting hypothetical figures but there are two points to be made.

1. We don't know what we got for Iliman other rumour. Could be £12mil, could be £20mil.

2. We don't know if the initial £20mil was to include fees and wages like what Warnock had to manage. So far we've spent around £5mil on Slimane and Traore. If both are on £20k per week then that's over £2mil spent in wages. Over a three year contract that's £6mil accounted for, so £11mil of that original budget is gone on just two players. Now we have Larouci's wages to consider too.

You can see from this why we were told that permanent signings would be limited, and loans would be more likely. The problem with this model is that you end up retaining dross instead of replacing them and in the long term when players contracts run out, or they don't sign new deals, we end up with no players and League One beckons. It's a dangerous game to play.

I'm hoping the Iliman money, no matter who big or small, goes on permanent players ready for life back in the Championship. Some of the players potentially leaving next summer don't bother me at all. I'd have shot of a lot of them now if we only had the money to replace them.

Midfield of Osborn, Slimane and Bash managed by JOC and RND

I think we’ll probably do deals that total around 25 million including loan fees before the end of the window but obviously we’ll probably only pay about half that in upfront fees.

That should probably get us the required 6/7 players whether they’re up to snuff well the proof will be in the pudding.

It’ll be a fair bit more than £15k per week.

I am assuming that as well as the Championship “decreases” that players had built in to their contracts (of which there where 2 consecutive decreases), players will also have PL uplifts built in.

Our highest paid players are likely on somewhere between £30k - £40 k per week.

Sander will be one of them. Brewster another. Oli Mc not too far behind them 2.

UTB
The point I was making was about factoring wages into the pot. That figure was just plucked out of the air. I’ve heard such a range of info about how much our players are paid as a basic wage that I’ve no interest in speculating.

Aren't you supposed to be in the know? Why are you asking the mortals?!

Sander has looked leaner and stronger in pre season.

If he stays, I’m expecting big things from him this year.

If he goes, we have to secure an 8 figure fee. Nothing less makes any sense.

UTB
Don't expect too much beyond what he does on the pitch. He'll either sign a contract with another club in January, or be sold for whatever we can get for him, unless by some miracle there's a big gap between us and the bottom three.

Back
Top Bottom