Are we really that skint?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All football clubs are run as a business. If your liabilities exceed your assets, the business is failing. Hence the EFL sanctions against the club in January this year. (Embargo).
These reasons have been explained in various threads by finance professionals who understand how it works in relation to football club business. We are just supporters, not financial wizards.

You’re miles out. £30k basic, but add ons make it considerably more.
Only two on just over 30 k and I can’t imagine them getting many bonuses apart from first season premier when one of them wasn’t there.The highest now is Ciarain Clark over 40k but we pay part of his wages to Newcastle not all the time, or was it on tyne a Geordie mate told me during embargo.

Only two on just over 30 k and I can’t imagine them getting many bonuses apart from first season premier when one of them wasn’t there.The highest now is Ciarain Clark over 40k but we pay part of his wages to Newcastle not all the time, or was it on tyne a Geordie mate told me during embargo.
It isn’t just bonuses. Contracts also include signing on fees and loyalty bonuses, usually spread over the life of the contract & not included within the basic salary.

It is also quite possible that the biggest earners (I.e. the biggest names) have also received image rights payments. They are standard in the PL and don’t even count as wages, they are capital payments.

When we went up under Warnock, McCabe handed him a "war chest" of £20mil which was for transfer fees, players wages and agents fees for any new signings. That was a pitiful amount back then and it was a miracle that Warnock found anyone half decent, let alone nearly keeping us up. Rob Hulse was an absolute steal when you look back on it. Move on 15 years and to give a manager that same amount to try to stay up on is baffling, madness and suicide. I get we've had money troubles recently, but some of the players signed were offset by the money we'd earn from two seasons in the top flight. Something isn't right at the Lane.

We were promoted last time with the 4th lowest wage bill in the Championship. Even after giving players pay rises and improved contracts, our wage bill was still the lowest in the Premier League, and arguably not even higher than teams still in the Championship.

We went up with relatively no debt. We spent money that we were due to earn by entering the top flight and staying up on fees for players. Players took pay cuts when we were relegated, which was covered by the parachute payments. When we failed to go back up it triggered further pay cuts in their contracts, which again was covered by the parachute payments. We got rid of a lot of the players that we signed when we went up, so they were off the wage bill too.

I get that we needed to pay off McCabe and improve the training ground, but we paid no fees for players over two seasons other than Anel.

Something isn't right at the Lane.

Something just doesn't add up here.

A newly promoted team only has £20mil for fees and wages for players signed with fees. You might as well pocket it and save it for next summer, as it will be cheaper to buy players for a promotion push than for a relegation fight.

The fact that we cannot compete anymore in the Premier League without a takeover by some billionaire sugar Daddy, shows how broken beyond repair the so called "Greatest Football League In The World" really is, and how it is run recklessly on arrogance and the smell of it's own farts.
Superb post

If you sit down and write all the losses on players that left without a fee.

Add to that the players who haven't realised thier potential, and what we spent on one of them in particular..

The two managers who were well paid but left, with payouts.

The wages we pay, the promotion bonuses, the win bonuses, the goal bonuses.

The purchase and reconnecting of the club to the stadium, and the court fees spent to achieve this outcome for Prince Abdullah.

The loss of revenue from the Covid season in the Premier league.

The lack of incoming transfer fees.

And now the wage increases that contracted players will automatically trigger because they're premiership players again.

There's also a lot more, "where money went" obviously..

This time next season you can all ask why Berge, Mcburnie, and illiman are being allowed to leave on free transfers, whilst wondering "wheres money gone"

We're being run by people who admittedly don't know how to run a football club, were being run for the here and now, we are not future proofing our player assets and protecting those investments, we have beeen overspending on transfer fees and not recovering anything on those fees, except Ramsdale..

We are going to allow 2 World Cup standard players to leave on a free next season, this is where the moneys going.

You’re miles out. £30k basic, but add ons make it considerably more.

CW and a couple of players were on considerably more than that in our PL seasons.

When Oli McB got fined for his drink driving, the structure & amount of his fine suggested that he was on circa £38k a week in the PL (although I know that this has been disputed on here). I think Mousset was on £20k per week the brief time he was with us, and he'd be at the mid point of our wage structure.

I think at least one player is currently on more than that this season because they didn't/don't have a wage reduction clause.

The squad that got promoted from the champ to the PL under CWAK, shared something like a £25m to £29m bonus pot (it's in the accounts).

The figure that the HRH mentioned for CW was a figure that was in the region of what i'd been told he was on in, but I don't know whether that was basic salary + matchday bonus or basic salary + matchday bonus + promotion bonus. People seem to forget that CW had at least 4 pay rises in the time he was with us; May 2017, May 2018, July 2019 and January 2020 off of the top of my head.

As an example of sums involved, one of the coaching staff got a bonus of circa £400k, so whether that was paid as a lump sum or at an additional £7.7k a week I don't know.

Last edited:
There’s a few ‘suggests’ ‘think’ ‘don’t knows’ on there so it is all conjecture depending on how you want to present it. That’s why people have good accountants and private contracts that others don’t see.

There’s a few ‘suggests’ ‘think’ ‘don’t knows’ on there so it is all conjecture depending on how you want to present it. That’s why people have good accountants and private contracts that others don’t see.

Our wage bill was £78million in the 13 months when we finished 9. It’s clear that our highest earners are on more than 20k a week all in, in the PL.

Our wage bill was £78million in the 13 months when we finished 9. It’s clear that our highest earners are on more than 20k a week all in, in the PL.
Yeah 32 k Berge highest earner, Brew turned up 2nd year. Big outlay this year 42k for Clark. Official figures online above whether they are true I don’t know but do you think they are?

Yeah 32 k Berge highest earner, Brew turned up 2nd year. Big outlay this year 42k for Clark. Official figures online above whether they are true I don’t know but do you think they are?
Brewster is on £15k a week.

I think that the £78m wage bill figure appeared in our audited accounts, so you'd hope that they were true.

Depends if you are talking PL or this year. There Will be promotion bonus’s to include

Our accounts from last time we were in the PL said we had 133 staff on the non football staff and 105 related to football.

The wage bill was 78million quid.

If you take everyone non football and assume they were on 40k a year. That wage bill would be about 5million. Call it 8 mill and it leaves 70m for 105 players/staff. Call that 60mill to account for 12 months and it averages out at nearly 11k a week. On average for every football related person (youth team and training staff). It’s clear people are earning more than 20k a week.

If you just do wages / staff. It works out at about 5k a week (or 250k a year) and that would include the paying the tea lady.

Which part of that is far-fetched?

They look reasonable targets to me.
There's no such thing as a reasonable target to Sheffield United, any player mentioned will always be shot down by the money counting ambitious people on here who will never accept that we are a Premier League club.

The squad that got promoted from the champ to the PL under CWAK, shared something like a £25m to £29m bonus pot (it's in the accounts).
In that case, it's no fucking wonder we had the success we did

In fact such financial incentive might have been the number 1 reason behind it

It's quite bizarre how quickly we've managed to return to the PL so presumably we're paying fortunes again. Half of which would probably go to non contributors...

In that case, it's no fucking wonder we had the success we did

In fact such financial incentive might have been the number 1 reason behind it

It's quite bizarre how quickly we've managed to return to the PL so presumably we're paying fortunes again. Half of which would probably go to non contributors...
How can we be skint ?
30k home support every game , cup runs , TV money , and every year we sell a star player .
Something ain't right . Ramsdale went for 18 million . Brooks before that , Maguire , walker, naughton before that .

I heard from a cat who belongs to a second cousin of the brother-in-law of the niece of someone high up at the club that Prince has stolen all the money and is buying the 49ers in a consortium with Dozy, Lord Lucan, Flea from RHCP, Reg Brierley and Sherghar.

Reactions: Dkc
Embargo said skint
The man ‘he say skint’
Prince says skint
Board says skint
Accounts say skint
WE ARE ABSOLUTELY ‘P O L O M I N T’
Skint,brassic,shoplifting in Poundland….

Ahhh…,,but are we really skint?
‘Doh !’

Embargo said skint
The man ‘he say skint’
Prince says skint
Board says skint
Accounts say skint
WE ARE ABSOLUTELY ‘P O L O M I N T’
Skint,brassic,shoplifting in Poundland….

Ahhh…,,but are we really skint?
‘Doh !’
I’m just asking for a friend who said that if I tell everyone I’m skint do I have to buy them a drink even when they know I’m minted?😉

Paying off 2 manages
Players bought in the last 4 years, no big sales
PL ground upgrade
Players wages and bonus, singing on and contract bonus’s
Big squad last season
Staff costs
Academy cost
Day to day club running costs, electricity etc
Pitch upgrade/relay every year
Police
Stewarding
Agents fees
and did I mention players salaries, which are totally ridiculous theses days, but good if you can get it

Paying off 2 manages
PL ground upgrade
Big squad last season
Staff costs
Academy cost
Police
Stewarding
Agents fees
and did I mention players salaries, which are totally ridiculous theses days, but good if you can get it
Are you my mate because he always says than when it’s his round.

You keep saying this, but our highest earners pick up significantly more than £32k a week. The “official” figures (which are inaccurate anyway) are just basic pay without all the extras.

You keep saying this, but our highest earners pick up significantly more than £32k a week. The “official” figures (which are inaccurate anyway) are just basic pay without all the extras.
I can only go on official figures where do you get unofficial ones from? Have you seen them? Players don’t have to tell each other as they are private. Managers might not know contracts.

I can only go on official figures where do you get unofficial ones from? Have you seen them? Players don’t have to tell each other as they are private. Managers might not know contracts.
I don't know whether it has been mentioned but ARE WE REALLY THAT SKINT?

Well they don’t need private contracts as according to you they don’t mean anything anyway. If they’re sacked they just get a years salary according to one of your earlier posts which is demonstrably wrong. Also your grasp on how managers and staff operate is almost like you’ve never experienced it. Of course managers know what the players are on and yes the players will tell each other to some extent or another what they’re getting. They always do.

Paying off 2 manages
PL ground upgrade
Big squad last season
Staff costs
Academy cost
Police
Stewarding
Agents fees
I know - but wherzzzzz money gone and are we really that skint - FFS ARE WEEEEEEEE????

There is also the fact we are hitting the ceiling of where you can get without a serious ton of investment. Even if PA hadn't had to buy the club or COVID hadn't happened, the money you get only goes so far.

It's the way it is and as Simon Jordan points out often on Talksport most of the revenue goes into players pockets.

Hardly worth going up.

In some ways it isn't, your costs increase three-fold.

There is also the fact we are hitting the ceiling of where you can get without a serious ton of investment. Even if PA hadn't had to buy the club or COVID hadn't happened, the money you get only goes so far.

It's the way it is and as Simon Jordan points out often on Talksport most of the revenue goes into players pockets.

In some ways it isn't, your costs increase three-fold.
Which is fine providing you are the recipient not the giver 🤣

Back
Top Bottom