Why don't we have much money?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

INTERUNITED

Reaction score
Right apologies if I've missed a thread/discussion on this, but I'm perplexed that we seemingly don't have a pot to pi$$ in (if the rumours are correct). I appreciate that we still have to pay a £4 million instalment on Brewster and a couple of million for Anel, but why would that all of a sudden make us skint? We spent around £65 million the first season (and didn't lose money), plus the 8 million to upgrade the ground (again if the reports are true), so even if we deduct the 5 or 6 million we owe for the players mentioned, surely we should still have circa 55-60 million minimum to spend (I know wages will be included in this). I hope the board give Hecky a fighting chance of survival, or come out and explain the reasons we aren't (as in ground improvements etc). I guess we will shortly find out if we have money or not, I was just a little surprised at what Hecky said when he said there was a slight disagreement between him and the board about where we should be.

Right apologies if I've missed a thread/discussion on this, but I'm perplexed that we seemingly don't have a pot to pi$$ in (if the rumours are correct). I appreciate that we still have to pay a £4 million instalment on Brewster and a couple of million for Anel, but why would that all of a sudden make us skint? We spent around £65 million the first season (and didn't lose money), plus the 8 million to upgrade the ground (again if the reports are true), so even if we deduct the 5 or 6 million we owe for the players mentioned, surely we should still have circa 55-60 million minimum to spend (I know wages will be included in this). I hope the board give Hecky a fighting chance of survival, or come out and explain the reasons we aren't (as in ground improvements etc). I guess we will shortly find out if we have money or not, I was just a little surprised at what Hecky said when he said there was a slight disagreement between him and the board about where we should be.

I think it comes down to not having a sugar daddy owner pissing cash at us to cover our loses. It seems that even if you take out wages & fees, the runnings costs of the club are eye watering.

Somewhere in the recent posts there is a clear summary of costs and expenditure that we are likely to encounter in the coming season.
It leaves a “transfer pot” much less than many appear to expect.
Apologies but I cannot remember which thread !

Someone on the forum did a great post regarding money coming in and the running costs involved - can't recall the title.
Basically for every £1 generated it costs the club twice as much to operate

Somewhere in the recent posts there is a clear summary of costs and expenditure that we are likely to encounter in the coming season.
It leaves a “transfer pot” much less than many appear to expect.
Apologies but I cannot remember which thread !
I'll see if i can find it, thanks!!!

Southampton spent 140 million to go down with a whimper.
And multi millions every other year as well

And guess what, they won't be skint

We built a one million pound stand around about the time that the first million pound footballer was bought.

That stand landed us in division four and skint every single day since.

Running the club
Player bonuses for promotion
Players wages in the PL
Big squad
Wilder wasted loads on poor signings and wages
Premier league ground upgrade
Police costs
Flying to away games
Academy costs
Wilder pay off
Slav pay off
Agent fees
Brewster, Mc Burnie, Berge, Mouset, Bogle/Lowe plus other lower value signings and loan signings
Loss in the championship

Running the club
Player bonuses for promotion
Players wages in the PL
Big squad
Wilder wasted loads on poor signings and wages
Premier league ground upgrade
Police costs
Flying to away games
Academy costs
Wilder pay off
Slav pay off
Agent fees
Brewster, Mc Burnie, Berge, Mouset, Bogle/Lowe plus other lower value signings and loan signings
Loss in the championship
...but apart from that where’s the money gone ?😒🤫

We and every other club in the football league are haemorrhaging money, mainly through spending more on wages than we have income. The only way we (and every other club in the league) can spend money on transfers is by the owner effectively gifting money to the club which he will never get back. FFP is designed to stop this but has failed.

"Did Wilder get fired or resign?"
"Why can't we play a different formation?"
"Is Norwood good?"
"Is McBurnie any good?"
"Why don't we sell Egan?"
"Why is Berge"

And other classics

The price to reach mid table football in the Prem comes at a huge cost and risk and eventually every club apart from Man U, City, Liverpool etc will go down. Southampton have had a good stint, same with Leicester, who have invested in good areas off the pitch, but they’ve both proved you’re only either a bad manager appointment or poor decisions with player recruitment away from going down and being in the shit. In a few years the likes of Palace & Brighton will follow the trend.

If we can get our finances in order and pay our debts off, we will be in a decent position to push on, I hope we don’t ever gamble and put the club in a position where if we go down and don’t get back up, we will be looking at a position where Portsmouth & Bolton found themselves in.

I was listening to the pod cast "The Price of Football" with Kieran Maguire this week. He referred to the Chief Executive of an EFL club who basically said there were numerous clubs that were practically insolvent and those that weren't were basically breaking FFP rules and owners covering massive losses. There will be a lot of problems next season. I think we have been saved by promotion. I am not bothered about us spending much this summer I want my club to have a future.

Hopefully this time when we go up there’s expenditure that we dont have to make this time to get the ground up to PL standards. Also buy out McCabe etc.

We will have to pay promotion bonus’s and wage rises etc. but given we spend on anel in the champ there should still be a little money to spend.

We are going to be disappointed if we’re expecting multiple 20m players though. I think those days are over whilst the Prince is looking to get out

I was listening to the pod cast "The Price of Football" with Kieran Maguire this week. He referred to the Chief Executive of an EFL club who basically said there were numerous clubs that were practically insolvent and those that weren't were basically breaking FFP rules and owners covering massive losses. There will be a lot of problems next season. I think we have been saved by promotion. I am not bothered about us spending much this summer I want my club to have a future.

Agree - was absolutely vital we went up. Even if only for a year. It’s a lifeline with the current state of football.

And from a purely selfish point of view. We might be able to get a few bargains from the champ if people can no longer hold out for the best prices (pre covid levels)

It's just something to moan about
The same fannies were moaning about it last time we got promoted when we actually overspent and put us in the shit we are in now

Now they moan because we spent it on shit players ,players who got us promoted back up before we went bankrupt surrounded by people telling them how shit they were

I'm afraid with most of our fan base positivity towards the club is the option they never consider preferring instead to react hysterically and neurotically predicting doom and gloom

Fuck knows how they ever leave the front door

Agree - was absolutely vital we went up. Even if only for a year. It’s a lifeline with the current state of football.

And from a purely selfish point of view. We might be able to get a few bargains from the champ if people can no longer hold out for the best prices (pre covid levels)
It's vital,
Getting to the Premier League and not even realistically competing is the new "sell a player" to balance the books.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom