I am amazed yet at a loss

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I am amazed as to how we started off so incredibly well after 10 minutes. Could have and should have been 3-0 up after the Mcatee counter attack and Ndiaye 1 on 1 chance.

I am also at a loss as to how our plan to come back from 2-1 down was to bring on Ben Osborn. And even after Boro scored their 3rd, we decided it was still the best course of action to bring him on. I really am at a loss.
Osborn’s set pieces have been outstanding.
E,g. Egan should have buried that last minute delivery, it was right on the money.
Just wasn’t our night, nothing seemed to roll for us and all the ricochets went Boro’s way.

For me, Jebbo and McBurnie to play up front with Ndiaye behind them, with Norwood and Berge (Doyle if fit), playing in midfield flanked by Bogle and Lowe in attack.

Jebbo has been looking sharp and dangerous for a while now and he's still largely an unknown commodity for opponents.
Didn't look sharp and dangerous tonight... Surprised as I would have thought the plan would be to stick him out wide and get him cutting in but instead he took up McBurnie's role of standing on the last defender and waving his arms everytime he lost the ball...

He reminds me of Rashford and that's how managers have used him as a sub...

Our big players just shat it tonight. Too many waiting for things to happen. Ndiaye I love but he has to do much more

Osborn’s set pieces have been outstanding.
E,g. Egan should have buried that last minute delivery, it was right on the money.
Just wasn’t our night, nothing seemed to roll for us and all the ricochets went Boro’s way.
They got all the ricochets because our midfield was in another fucking postcode.

All our players with any individual quality were a million miles off it tonight. They’ve let us down big time.

Ok, we lost Boro was better than us and had all the luck and a little help for another crap referee. However, we are still seven points a game in hand a much better goal difference.I still think we will go up. it would have to be a massive loss of form not to get auto promotion—just a bump in the road.

Billy Big boots just thought they ha only to turn up. Manager has no answer to superior tactics & thinks introducing man in boys body is the answer. Norwood thinks he's Hoddle & Robbo/Anel give me heart attack constantly.

Bogle & Ndiaye answer to all this is try to dribble through the whole team.

They wanted it we thought we were entitled.
Hecky had a tantrum like a spoilt kid who's mum let's him win all the time!!

Terrible & cos it's us I am seriously worried

Fleck wouldn't have been the answer. He's been a busted flush since the restart in our first top flight season, and the number of good games he's had since then can be counted on one hand.

Personally I'd have either gone to four at the back and brought on Basham to play alongside Norwood in the middle, and dropped Ndiaye back and swapped McAtee for Jebbo. Or made at least one change to the midfield prior to this at half time, when it was obvious to everyone that the midfield were being dominated and outplayed.

But Hecky did what Hecky always does. Nothing. Just tells them to keep doing what hasn't been working because it will start working!

Basham is not the answer in mid field hes gone at RCB

Boro play a high line, play out through the thirds and have a lot of pace on the break. Their football is very risky. A quick look at the stats and the amount of good chances we had despite being poor will tell you that. The big problem United had was that our high press was awful for the majority of the match. The amount of runs our midfielders and Ndiaye made back to our own box before half time was alarming me. The space between the defensive and midfield lines was getting exposed. Then Boro had acres of space to overload or play a through ball to their strikers who have the pace to hurt you on the counter whilst our midfielders had to run back from the edge of their box all the way to ours.

Despite this negative outlook Boro were leaving oceans of space in behind and in between the centre backs and wingbacks. Big risks were being taken. Our players looked like they could add to our tally providing we could keep the back door shut.

Heckingbottom had to change it at halftime imo. The question he asked by not doing was: will they continue to play through our press or will we improve this second half? With the schedule, the condition of our players and United's average at best high press more recently all factored in, I thought the former was far more likely.

I thought we'd drop lower and leave them to have the ball in their third or even up to the half way line. The reasons are simple: Boro's main strength is their counter attack. You can't counter attack when there is no space to run into due to the position of your opponent. Our lack of physicality in midfield is also harder to expose when our starting position is deeper. We could've even changed shape and brought another midfielder on to aid this. It was frankly weird that we went to a back four when we had started to get a grip of the game (after about an hour). The time to change shape and maybe pack the middle was when we were getting overrun

Another obvious point is that this game was made to measure for Jebbison. So much space to run into behind the centre backs and in between the full backs and centre backs, particularly in the period before 1-2. Ndiaye and Mcburnie like to come towards the ball. On the few occasions Ndiaye and Mcattee didn't you saw what happened.

Billy Big boots just thought they ha only to turn up. Manager has no answer to superior tactics & thinks introducing man in boys body is the answer. Norwood thinks he's Hoddle & Robbo/Anel give me heart attack constantly.

Bogle & Ndiaye answer to all this is try to dribble through the whole team.

They wanted it we thought we were entitled.
Hecky had a tantrum like a spoilt kid who's mum let's him win all the time!!

Terrible & cos it's us I am seriously worried
At least Hecky didn't spend the entire game with his arms crossed he kicked that 4th officials board into next week. The best long punt of the night.

Ben Osborn is never the going to be the answer. He’s not someone to replace Norwood, despite Norwood having a shocker.

But Osborn wasn’t the problem tonight. Boro did their homework. Hence Norwood being put under pressure all game, McAtee getting targeted and Berge being mostly anonymous.

It meant that Ndiaye was feeding on scraps and we had no midfield to control the game.

Fair play to Boro. They deserved that. Glad we don’t have to play them again this season and other than Burnley there’s not a side that look anything like as handy as they do in this division.

How come we didn't do our homework dad?

Its somehow got us to second in the league. Unbelievably. It really is a good job Boro are so far behind because we’d easily be behind them in the league had they had Carrick from the start of the season
Chrissy Wilder to the rescue. Who knew.

I am amazed as to how we started off so incredibly well after 10 minutes. Could have and should have been 3-0 up after the Mcatee counter attack and Ndiaye 1 on 1 chance.

I am also at a loss as to how our plan to come back from 2-1 down was to bring on Ben Osborn. And even after Boro scored their 3rd, we decided it was still the best course of action to bring him on. I really am at a loss.
Osborn was a damage limitation move,
i thought that was obvious, though i would have put on Bash and Coulbl***y

Ok, we lost Boro was better than us and had all the luck and a little help for another crap referee. However, we are still seven points a game in hand a much better goal difference.I still think we will go up. it would have to be a massive loss of form not to get auto promotion—just a bump in the road.
4 after Burnley

Missed Doyle tonight

We didn't.
Players often become better in their absence, particularly when we're losing.
Doyle doesn't offer any protection to the defence. We'd have been as overrun with him in there as we were with McAtee.
Think Doyle's reputation outweighs his output.

Ben Osborn is never the going to be the answer. He’s not someone to replace Norwood, despite Norwood having a shocker.

But Osborn wasn’t the problem tonight. Boro did their homework. Hence Norwood being put under pressure all game, McAtee getting targeted and Berge being mostly anonymous.

It meant that Ndiaye was feeding on scraps and we had no midfield to control the game.

Fair play to Boro. They deserved that. Glad we don’t have to play them again this season and other than Burnley there’s not a side that look anything like as handy as they do in this division.
Boro match assignment. Compete in the middle of the park. Win the ball back if you don't have it. Pass the ball to the speedy forwards. Wouldn't that be EVERY midfields assignment....except ours!!!?

This will do us a favour. It will mean we can’t be complacent - came at a good time.

No mistakes now Blades.
I don’t mind a bite on the arse from a lower ranked team to keep us on our toe’s. But we faded so badly to our closest rival. We only needed a draw, but all our lack of patience with the ball and composure in front of goal was embarrassing.

I don’t mind a bite on the arse from a lower ranked team to keep us on our toe’s. But we faded so badly to our closest rival. We only needed a draw, but all our lack of patience with the ball and composure in front of goal was embarrassing.

And the team and management will know that, will analyse it and will make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Boro play a high line, play out through the thirds and have a lot of pace on the break. Their football is very risky. A quick look at the stats and the amount of good chances we had despite being poor will tell you that. The big problem United had was that our high press was awful for the majority of the match. The amount of runs our midfielders and Ndiaye made back to our own box before half time was alarming me. The space between the defensive and midfield lines was getting exposed. Then Boro had acres of space to overload or play a through ball to their strikers who have the pace to hurt you on the counter whilst our midfielders had to run back from the edge of their box all the way to ours.

Despite this negative outlook Boro were leaving oceans of space in behind and in between the centre backs and wingbacks. Big risks were being taken. Our players looked like they could add to our tally providing we could keep the back door shut.

Heckingbottom had to change it at halftime imo. The question he asked by not doing was: will they continue to play through our press or will we improve this second half? With the schedule, the condition of our players and United's average at best high press more recently all factored in, I thought the former was far more likely.

I thought we'd drop lower and leave them to have the ball in their third or even up to the half way line. The reasons are simple: Boro's main strength is their counter attack. You can't counter attack when there is no space to run into due to the position of your opponent. Our lack of physicality in midfield is also harder to expose when our starting position is deeper. We could've even changed shape and brought another midfielder on to aid this. It was frankly weird that we went to a back four when we had started to get a grip of the game (after about an hour). The time to change shape and maybe pack the middle was when we were getting overrun

Another obvious point is that this game was made to measure for Jebbison. So much space to run into behind the centre backs and in between the full backs and centre backs, particularly in the period before 1-2. Ndiaye and Mcburnie like to come towards the ball. On the few occasions Ndiaye and Mcattee didn't you saw what happened.

Good analysis mate. I just noticed we were a bit crap. I wanted another player in midfield before HT possibly dropping Illy back.
Beyond that I had no idea how to stop them running through us.

We didn't.
Doyle doesn't offer any protection to the defence. We'd have been as overrun with him in there as we were with McAtee.
Have to disagree there CM , the midfield has a lot more bite & energy when he plays , whenever Doyle plays Norwoods performances improve . Recent case in part Millwall away in FA Cup midfield, Doyle , McAtee & Norwood we ran the show in the middle of the park . Basically playing the role of Fleck 3 to 4 years ago . How many balls did we win in midfield on Weds night ?

Have to disagree there CM , the midfield has a lot more bite & energy when he plays , whenever Doyle plays Norwoods performances improve . Recent case in part Millwall away in FA Cup midfield, Doyle , McAtee & Norwood we ran the show in the middle of the park . Basically playing the role of Fleck 3 to 4 years ago . How many balls did we win in midfield on Weds night ?

You've picked a good example but I think it was an anomaly.
Seen Doyle have a lot more anonymous showings / stinkers than games like Millwall in the Cup.

Missed Doyle tonight

We didn't.

Do you think Doyle improved things today?

Thought he was probably our worst player (again). Really not sure what he offers.

Back
Top Bottom