Video on sky sports football app - our owner talking about Wilder's departure

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

'Abdullah: Wilder 'resigned' twice, wanted £4m pay-off'

Interesting read. Think I'm at the point of not actually caring what happend, just satisfied that something did, I don't like the outcome but the specifics don't change that anymore.

Chrissy Wilder......................so good he resigned twice

Actually it's about time we heard from the owner. Sheds some light on the situation. We now need to hear what CW has to say now and then as fans we can all pick which side to back and hammer the other one :D

After the frustrations at the time of his "resignation" I've calmed down a bit and taking a more balanced view

Full interview is here:

This one much better btw. Very interesting.

Sorry if already been posted about or seen but for those that have the app go watch the latest video of the Prince talking about Chris's departure and recruitment.
Really Interesting and folks will believe what they like but my take away points;
  • £4m is the compensation allegedly asked for. Equivalent to one years salary. @chabs was seemingly on the money with CWs pay. He was competitively paid.
  • Wilder wanting to resign a number of times as thought we need a new voice fits with some stories around the Palace game and when he was overheard at the final whistle.
  • Acknowledgement that they had concerns over his recruitment at Premier league level.

• Chris resigning gave concerns that if we had a poor start next year he may look to leave again, so difficult to trust in him being committed long term.
  • Ramsdale and Brewster are the contentious signings, but he thinks they’ll be the “cornerstone” of our side next year but we needed players for this season not the future.
  • Players suggested by the board were discounted by CW and are now playing “very well”
  • One having a great season in Germany.
  • Recruitment again an issue. Club wanted more targets to be identified and from a wider market so they could negotiate. CW wanted his way and wasn’t open to that changing.
  • Limited number of targets made negotiations difficult.
Got to say, for a guy under huge attack from the fanbase on social media, he again comes across well.

Full interview is here:

This one much better btw. Very interesting.
Cheers Malmö. I’ll have a bit of breakfast and digest that.
If nothing else this thread should help work fly by today.

It was brilliant what Wilder achieved here and he got his rewards with his new contracts. However, winning 4 matches (probably wasn’t even 4 at the first time he wanted to resign) and then wanting out cause it’s all gone tits up and wanting the club to give him £4 million in the process - get fucked. Played the “my club, I care about this club” card all his time here and then wanted paying off in millions to see him go cause he couldn’t hack it anymore.

Are we really outraged he wanted a pay off? He got us £200m plus in Premier league tv money. Not sure why people begrudge him that.
Because he was rewarded by getting new contracts for his achievements. That was his reward for getting us promoted - a new contract. That’s how it works.

Are we really outraged he wanted a pay off? He got us £200m plus in Premier league tv money. Not sure why people begrudge him that.
Playing devil's advocate here but it's not his money, it's the clubs money. He helped in a large way earn that money but it doesn't belong to him.

And he wasn't exactly living on bread and water whilst he was earning it for the club. He was rewarded financially on a number of occasions.

You can argue the toss either way mate on that one, and yes, if we'd binned Chris we should have paid him the 15 months severance suggested, but you can't walk away, leave the job, waste all that money that "he" raised, and then ask for £4m.

Get sacked, get paid off. Chuck it in and walk, then all you get is a ST and our best wishes

You can argue the toss either way mate on that one, and yes, if we'd binned Chris we should have paid him the 15 months severance suggested, but you can't walk away, leave the job, waste all that money that "he" raised, and then ask for £4m.

Get sacked, get paid off. Chuck it in and walk, then all you get is a ST and our best wishes
I think you can and sounds like he did. Fair play to him in my opinion. We'd have been nowhere near the Premier league money if not for him

I think Chris lost the values he demanded from his team in himself. Aside from everything else that has contributed this season it is clear his mentality had changed. There is always two sides but my initial impression was this was more to do with Chris not being able to handle the bad times with the club he loves than the hoard and nothing has made me think otherwise. He will bounce back, us im not so sure about.

I don’t begrudge for a second the money Chris earned in his contracts and any rewards he got for where he got us etc etc

If his contract had an agreement he got x, y, Z if he resigned then fair enough

If if didn’t, if he wanted to resign and stated we needed a new voice and direction but you need to give me 4 million to go before you do that then I agree with the Prince

But right now I have nothing else other that what we have now to judge that on

I have no Dog in the fight, I’m not a Wikderism cultist who believed he could do no wrong and never be sacked, but I thought he should get at least three months next season to turn things around, there is no question he got things badly wrong this season, but should get some leeway based on his record the previous 5 years.

Having got that out of the way I will say that HRH actually comes off very well in that video, he sounds sensible and rational unlike some other owners I could mention nearby, (of course we have yet to hear CWs side of this)

Also talking a good game is only one side of the coin for The Prince, he has to back that up over the coming seasons with his actions at the club, making the correct appointment, supporting the new manager, improving the training facilities / Academy and the biggest threat of all keeping us at the Lane Once McCabe occupies the corners of the site.

I think you can and sounds like he did. Fair play to him in my opinion. We'd have been nowhere near the Premier league money if not for him
There is also the counter to that argument, that the club took a risk on him originally to give him that chance. They also continually reviewed his contract even when it wasn’t due, and made him the highest paid employee ever.
They also stood by him through a poor period, and offered him full support and even discussed offering him shares in the club.
Ive no issue with him asking, everyone should seek to look after themselves and their family first, but it shows some brass neck.
Also let’s not distance the club from this, it isn’t the Princes money, it’s the clubs. Chris wanted £4m from our coffers to walk away when we wanted to keep him. The Prince only gets paid hard cash it if he sells or starts borrowing against the club for his own external interests.

Last edited:
The only way we come out of this well is if we get the next appointment correct. That’s all that matters to be honest.

Don’t think there is anything ‘new’ in the interview.

Obviously mistakes on both sides but probably boils down to wilder knowing he couldn’t do anything to change results this year and being sick of losing and wanting out.

I agree with the prince on
  • waste of money
  • crap recruitment leaving an unbalanced squad (no midfield or centreback depth)
  • not great to come out and claim we can’t compete after EVERY single loss

and if wilders resigned I don’t think we can put it all on the board. Though I am sure from wilders side there have been some broken promises (say about January recruitment). But If he wanted to still be here he would be imo.

I’d be interested to know who the other targets were though....

FFS it wasnt JUST him.
Did I miss something and it was 11 CWs on the pitch every week?
Or maybe he did all the scouting, recruitment and sorted out the wages and coaching?
He's entitled for some pay off. But to suggest it was HIM that got is to the PL is doing a disrespect to everyone else who helped get us there. It was a team effort.

Prince Abdullah comes across very well and everything he said seems to fit in with the bits and pieces we've been drip fed.

At the end of the day it seems almost certain Wilder wanted go and forced the Prince's hand.

Don't think many of us would disagree that CW was pretty narrow minded when it comes to transfer targets either.

Back
Top Bottom