Wilder Quote

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Fuzzybear

Reaction score
“The lads that won’t be part of the group going forward, they need to make decisions on their futures. Because I would like to think that every professional footballer worth their salt wants to be playing.”

Read more: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/sheffield-united-chris-wilder-warns-unwanted-players-don-t-take-us-for-a-ride-1-7932374#ixzz49mB1Mun0

usually only watch and read, felt had to pop this on, love this line. Tells both us and players on list exactly what he thinks. I think all on the list will have pre-season to prove they want the shirt (like he did with O'Toole and assuming no one offers to buy before then) and those who don't/can't will kept away form rest of squad or pushed out on loan/transfer as soon as possible. I hope some step up, he's made it clear so far (to me it seems anyway) that either you'll run through a brick wall for the shirt or won't get near wearing one (backed up with second quote).

“If they are part of our plans, then they got to get themselves ready for a tough pre-season,” Wilder said. “Because that’s certainly what we are going to be having.”

P.S I know its Sheff Star and crap reporting but I so hope the sentiments are true.

Good comments.

I hope it's an incredibly hard pre season. I hope the players' physical condition has been assessed and that any reporting back in poor condition are named, shamed, fined and worked like dogs. Wilder strikes me as the sort to properly implement such standards. It's about time we were fitter than most opponents and not having to cling on to one goal leads against piss poor teams at home for the last 20 minutes.

The comment about any player worth their salt wanting to play is the sort of thing that should make one or two sit up and think. Smart approach.

Interesting read.

Strikes me more and more that a lot of Wilders decisions as regards the retained / released players will have been based on the technical data available on each and every player. What else has it been based on in just a few days ?

A strong work rate ethic will no doubt be centric to his process. Shirkers need not apply.

Good man that Tufty !

UTB

being a fan i don't think he'd need to check the data. hopefully being put on the TL might give DdG a kick up the arse as well.

being a fan i don't think he'd need to check the data. hopefully being put on the TL might give DdG a kick up the arse as well.
I bet he has mate. And that this information has played a pivotal role in deciding who's in and who's out.

UTB

sheet1_t.jpg

Two quotes that set lines in the sand & suggest a manager willing (& able) to show proper leadership.

Let's see what happens. But he isn't half setting the tone right for starters IMO.

Interesting read.

Strikes me more and more that a lot of Wilders decisions as regards the retained / released players will have been based on the technical data available on each and every player. What else has it been based on in just a few days ?

A strong work rate ethic will no doubt be centric to his process. Shirkers need not apply.

Good man that Tufty !

UTB
More and more you listen to him and read his comments you know he's got his head screwed on ,he won't tolerate tossers and I think McCabe will let him run it his way as long as he's in budget .cant wait for the new season

Players coming in will know the score .players going out will know they will never play for a club as historic and mighty as the blades

Music to my ears. Fitness has been a joke for the last few years
Unless two different managers can't manage basic fitness, then it's down to the players being naturally less fit than some of their opponents.
The reality is, some players naturally have bigger engines than others and even if two players are given the best training for their 'type', one may still be 'fitter' than the other.

Managers who want to play high tempo, high intensity football sign players with a lot of natural stamina, then train them to maximise that. You can't just take the less athletic types and train them so they have the same level of stamina, because they never will have.

More and more you listen to him and read his comments you know he's got his head screwed on ,he won't tolerate tossers and I think McCabe will let him run it his way as long as he's in budget .cant wait for the new season

McCabe will let him run it his way as long as he is winning and recruits correctly .

Wilder has more allies than enemies . A good start for a manager .

UTB

Music to my ears. Fitness has been a joke for the last few years

It's no coincidence that many former players (such as Pesch the other day) from the Warnock era have talked of the never say die spirit of those teams. That strength came from having Tony Daley as a quality fitness coach.

I am sure that the powers that be at BDTBL don't read these boards but one thing a number of us have been saying last season is there was no one at the club who we could identify ourselves with. I believe listening to Chris Wilder his appointment goes a long way to putting that right.

BTW Tony Daley left after falling out with Brian Robson about one month after Robson took over. Says it all really.

Good comments.

I hope it's an incredibly hard pre season. I hope the players' physical condition has been assessed and that any reporting back in poor condition are named, shamed, fined and worked like dogs. Wilder strikes me as the sort to properly implement such standards. It's about time we were fitter than most opponents and not having to cling on to one goal leads against piss poor teams at home for the last 20 minutes.

The comment about any player worth their salt wanting to play is the sort of thing that should make one or two sit up and think. Smart approach.

Adkins strikes me as a nice bloke, but a soft touch. The shysters took the piss out of him last summer. If any dare do that this summer Wilder is likely to chin them!

This is what we as fans have been screaming for , show some fucking pride .
This is what we as fans want , even if we get beat , leave everything on the pitch .
We'll be upset , but if we see you trying and playing for the shirt , you'll get our support,
and then a manager like Adkins can fuckoff with his snide comments about the fans , cunt .

Good comments.

The signs are good that the two clowns preceding him will have their work destroyed by Wilder.
We need some basic principles applied...hard work, attacking football, goals scored..both Nigels opposed that.

Used to have teachers like that at school didn't you '''.
The girls loved the easy going nice guy who was every bodys friend, the Adkins type,
Then there was the other ones that if they said jump you asked how high.
The lads may not have love em but they sure as hell respected em...

It's no coincidence that many former players (such as Pesch the other day) from the Warnock era have talked of the never say die spirit of those teams. That strength came from having Tony Daley as a quality fitness coach.

I am sure that the powers that be at BDTBL don't read these boards but one thing a number of us have been saying last season is there was no one at the club who we could identify ourselves with. I believe listening to Chris Wilder his appointment goes a long way to putting that right.

BTW Tony Daley left after falling out with Brian Robson about one month after Robson took over. Says it all really.

Defo says it all as I worked at the club and TD is one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet!

This is fantastic. This is what we need someone who is actually passionate about the club. He wants what's best for the club and he isn't afraid to upset the apple cart doing it.

Whether he is successful or not this is exactly what we needed!

This, unusually from James Shield, I liked:

"United have signed too many players whose careers have been on a downward curve in recent seasons. This must change. Age is unimportant but attitude is everything. Whoever arrives at Bramall Lane this summer must view joining United as an upward step. New recruits should feel as if they owe United, not the other way around."

“The lads that won’t be part of the group going forward, they need to make decisions on their futures. Because I would like to think that every professional footballer worth their salt wants to be playing.”

Read more: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-united/sheffield-united-chris-wilder-warns-unwanted-players-don-t-take-us-for-a-ride-1-7932374#ixzz49mB1Mun0

usually only watch and read, felt had to pop this on, love this line. Tells both us and players on list exactly what he thinks. I think all on the list will have pre-season to prove they want the shirt (like he did with O'Toole and assuming no one offers to buy before then) and those who don't/can't will kept away form rest of squad or pushed out on loan/transfer as soon as possible. I hope some step up, he's made it clear so far (to me it seems anyway) that either you'll run through a brick wall for the shirt or won't get near wearing one (backed up with second quote).

“If they are part of our plans, then they got to get themselves ready for a tough pre-season,” Wilder said. “Because that’s certainly what we are going to be having.”

P.S I know its Sheff Star and crap reporting but I so hope the sentiments are true.

Excellent reading. It’s kind of a shame that decent young players with potential like the Kieron’s will be shipped out but at the same time, if they haven’t displayed the desired attitude then I don’t blame Wilder for wielding the axe. Further, calling them out to find new clubs and making assertions about their professional pride if they don’t is a great incentive and puts the onus on the players and particular Hammond, who’s USP is his ‘model professionalism’ to get out of the club.

Interesting read.

Good man that Tufty !

UTB

I suspect he might have also chatted to senior players like Sharp, Basham etc. to try to determine the lads that are a dicks in the dressing room and not popular with the others in the interests of harbouring a team spirit which is why the likes of Freeman and DdG have found themselves on the list.

Two quotes that set lines in the sand & suggest a manager willing (& able) to show proper leadership.

Let's see what happens. But he isn't half setting the tone right for starters IMO.

Most of these players have shown that McGregor’s theory Y motivational approach (used by Adkins) doesn’t work on them. As such, I welcome Wilder’s theory X approach.

Although I disagree that one is "proper leadership" and the other is not. Just that some management techniques are effective in certain circumstances whereas others aren't.

Unless two different managers can't manage basic fitness, then it's down to the players being naturally less fit than some of their opponents.
The reality is, some players naturally have bigger engines than others and even if two players are given the best training for their 'type', one may still be 'fitter' than the other.

Managers who want to play high tempo, high intensity football sign players with a lot of natural stamina, then train them to maximise that. You can't just take the less athletic types and train them so they have the same level of stamina, because they never will have.

So what you’re saying is, we need to go and sign a load of Kenyans and Ethiopians? :eek:

In all seriousness though, I agree with what you’re saying but the attitudes and self-discipline of the players also comes into it. Paul Coutts talked in his interview with a Scottish paper about the rules on diet and body fat percentage etc. and found it amusing that he was regularly fined for being too fat. If he and others had the dedication to push their bodies to be as productive as possible, I’m sure our fitness wouldn’t be as much of an issue.

Adkins gave the players a lot of responsibility in this regard and talked about only wanting players who can be trusted with the responsibility. I suspect Wilder will be on their case more and harder on those that fall short of the standards set.

Back
Top Bottom