Winners and losers of Saturday's fresh start

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

HeCanDoMagic

Reaction score
I know it's only 1 game, but Saturday felt exactly what I had hoped the opener against Birmingham would be. The atmosphere, the football, the enjoyment, the outpour of 18 months worth of frustration. It was just great.

The system we deployed was obviously based on a 4 man defence, and 2 central midfielders. MGW played predominantly on the right, however it wasn't as a natural winger, but slightly in field, Osborne on the left played with a bit more natural width and as a winger. Sharp and Ndiaye floated, interchanged and roamed around, the type of forward movement we've been crying out for. RND and particularly Baldock offing width and attacking presence out wide (Baldock no doubt compensating for MGWs role slightly more central).

4-4-2 ish, 4-3-3 at times, in the second half it was visibly 4-2-4 for much of the time. Whatever it was it worked.

The bench on the face of it was very strong, and together with unavailable players (Berge, McG, Olsen), we had a lot of quality watching from the side-lines. Its a long season, we know that, and much of the squad will be utilised, however you get the feeling that some of the missing players will benefit from the system/style, and some will struggle to fit in. So who are the winners and losers;

Robert Olsen - WF was shaky at times and looked reluctant to stamp authority and really command his box. Olsen obvious number 1. Verdict: WINNER

Ben Davies - think we'd all agree he fits seamlessly into the back for in place of Robinson. Verdict: WINNER

Chris Basham - the strength in depth at centre mid means he's unlikely to compete there, a flat back 4 doesn't suit him. Verdict: LOSER

Sander Berge - financially wise, our prized asset, and has shown glimpses of what we thought he'd be at this level. Central midfield will be very competitive, what was noticeable on Saturday was the fluidity we were able to transition from defensive to attacking thirds. Is Berge quick enough to do this, has he the passing range. Does he come in for Norwood? Verdict: UNDECIDED

Oliver Burke - Not even in the squad and I cant see how he can get himself in that starting 11 based on what we have seen of him. Verdict: LOSER

Rhian Brewster - I think I am now in the minority when I say I am still optimistic with RB. I still think he'll thrive in a team that put as many balls into the box and created as many chances as they did on Saturday. It'll be hard for him to get in the 11 but I think with the vibrancy Ndiaye and MGW bring, he could buzz off that. Verdict: WINNER

David McGoldrick - A key performer over recent seasons, however he has missed some guilt edged chances this year and hasn't looked at all clinical. The formation we played, he could fit in where Ndiaye played - but does he have the legs and the sharpness - I think the performance by Ndiaye/MGW really highlighted the shortcomings in McG's game. Verdict: LOSER

Luke Freeman - I saw him smile on Saturday, a small thing but its the first time he's looked like he wanted it and wanted to enjoy it. I know were winning comfortable but the freshness the signings brought made this feel like a new team. He can be a huge winner in my eyes. Verdict: WINNER

Agree, disagree? What of Some of the others ie Bogle, McBurnie?

Both McB and Brewster have scored goals at this level. McB 20+ a season and RB one every other game for Swansea. Last season there was no service to the front men. I am confident that they will now get the service and both should be capable of scoring goals. Billy at 36 will not be able to play at the pace he played at on Saturday every game and will need resting plus there will be injuries and suspensions so we will need these two to step up. It is noteworthy that although Billy had a superb game he didn't actually score a goal. Providing assist and space for others is as important as actually putting the ball in the net.

For both verdict: WINNER

Really ! What matches are you watching ? Not put a foot wrong since he came in,did his job well Saturday and in previous matches,got forward when the ball came left side and put a couple of killer balls in. You obviously want more from him with no substance.

Enda Stevens ... if he recovers his form.... a starter for me , sorry Norringhton-Davies

giphy.gif

Really ! What matches are you watching ? Not put a foot wrong since he came in,did his job well Saturday and in previous matches ,got forward when the ball came left side and put a couple of killer balls in. You obviously want more from him with no substance.

just think Stevens on form is the best left back in the league, my (biased Irish )opinion ;-) ... sick of all this Sharps finished, Didzy finished, Fleck finished, Norwood finished, Stevens finished.... its bull, they where all lacking in confidence ..thats all and i think Enda will be the same.. Not knocking RND done ok 'so far'

I know it's only 1 game, but Saturday felt exactly what I had hoped the opener against Birmingham would be. The atmosphere, the football, the enjoyment, the outpour of 18 months worth of frustration. It was just great.

The system we deployed was obviously based on a 4 man defence, and 2 central midfielders. MGW played predominantly on the right, however it wasn't as a natural winger, but slightly in field, Osborne on the left played with a bit more natural width and as a winger. Sharp and Ndiaye floated, interchanged and roamed around, the type of forward movement we've been crying out for. RND and particularly Baldock offing width and attacking presence out wide (Baldock no doubt compensating for MGWs role slightly more central).

4-4-2 ish, 4-3-3 at times, in the second half it was visibly 4-2-4 for much of the time. Whatever it was it worked.

The bench on the face of it was very strong, and together with unavailable players (Berge, McG, Olsen), we had a lot of quality watching from the side-lines. Its a long season, we know that, and much of the squad will be utilised, however you get the feeling that some of the missing players will benefit from the system/style, and some will struggle to fit in. So who are the winners and losers;

Robert Olsen - WF was shaky at times and looked reluctant to stamp authority and really command his box. Olsen obvious number 1. Verdict: WINNER

Ben Davies - think we'd all agree he fits seamlessly into the back for in place of Robinson. Verdict: WINNER

Chris Basham - the strength in depth at centre mid means he's unlikely to compete there, a flat back 4 doesn't suit him. Verdict: LOSER

Sander Berge - financially wise, our prized asset, and has shown glimpses of what we thought he'd be at this level. Central midfield will be very competitive, what was noticeable on Saturday was the fluidity we were able to transition from defensive to attacking thirds. Is Berge quick enough to do this, has he the passing range. Does he come in for Norwood? Verdict: UNDECIDED

Oliver Burke - Not even in the squad and I cant see how he can get himself in that starting 11 based on what we have seen of him. Verdict: LOSER

Rhian Brewster - I think I am now in the minority when I say I am still optimistic with RB. I still think he'll thrive in a team that put as many balls into the box and created as many chances as they did on Saturday. It'll be hard for him to get in the 11 but I think with the vibrancy Ndiaye and MGW bring, he could buzz off that. Verdict: WINNER

David McGoldrick - A key performer over recent seasons, however he has missed some guilt edged chances this year and hasn't looked at all clinical. The formation we played, he could fit in where Ndiaye played - but does he have the legs and the sharpness - I think the performance by Ndiaye/MGW really highlighted the shortcomings in McG's game. Verdict: LOSER

Luke Freeman - I saw him smile on Saturday, a small thing but its the first time he's looked like he wanted it and wanted to enjoy it. I know were winning comfortable but the freshness the signings brought made this feel like a new team. He can be a huge winner in my eyes. Verdict: WINNER

Disagree, Basham and loser should never be used in the same sentence. One win and logic goes out the window.

Enda Stevens ... if he recovers his form.... a starter for me , sorry Norringhton-Davies

Absolutely not, Stevens is finished

Don't think other than on the old Brexit thread I can disagree with a post more.
Key bit in bold but is it a loss of form or a terminal decline? Gone is the nutmegging dynamo of 2019 and in its place is a footballer who looks like he's running through treacle.

Enda has (is) has been great for us ,went off form same as a few others,thankfully we have 2 good left backs at this level,Norrington Davies is learning still but doing very well with previously to Saturday a team with a losing mentality

Key bit in bold but is it a loss of form or a terminal decline? Gone is the nutmegging dynamo of 2019 and in its place is a footballer who looks like he's running through treacle.
Think it all depends on if Ireland or Wales are the better side. What do the FIFA rankings say?

The good news for Brewster is that Burke and probably McGoldrick are out of the picture.

The bad news is that a young lad makes his home debut, has a stormer and scores twice plus OAP Billy has his best game for 18 months.

We need cover for every position. So if your specifically talking about the 11, yes there will be some losers. But as a squad, such is the modern game...We’ll need em all.

The good news for Brewster is that Burke and probably McGoldrick are out of the picture.

The bad news is that a young lad makes his home debut, has a stormer and scores twice plus OAP Billy has his best game for 18 months.

Billy had reyt game against Derby in the cup. Took the game by the scruff of the neck.

Don't like to see Bash a loser under any circumstances :(

Hell I don't know about anyone else, but I would choose Basham over Robinson any day, even if he is playing with the wrong foot!!!

Really ! What matches are you watching ? Not put a foot wrong since he came in,did his job well Saturday and in previous matches,got forward when the ball came left side and put a couple of killer balls in. You obviously want more from him with no substance.
Rewatch Peterborough's chances in the first half. Twice RND loses his man and the ball gets played in behind him into a very dangerous area, going forward he is okay but defensively needs to stay switched on more

I'd be open to him getting some minutes for the under 23s, don't mean that disrespectfully, just think he'd be able to hopefully build up some confidence and get minutes.

Rewatch Peterborough's chances in the first half. Twice RND loses his man and the ball gets played in behind him into a very dangerous area, going forward he is okay but defensively needs to stay switched on more
Yes,acknowledged, from where we were sat it looked like Robinson/Egan should have shuffled across the line to tighten up and shut off the space.we need more work on the back 4 as we are still giving chances with not being tight enough

Simple. Every player is a winner when we play like that.

The squad as a whole will dictate how we do this season. It will lift everybody, whether they are in or out of the first 11.

The dressing room will not have felt like that since February 2020.

I think if you put Brewster in for Sharp he’d score goals in this system.
Sharp isn’t going to play every game at his age and Rhian should get his chance probably tommorow.

Didsy will be competing with Luke Freeman for a place on bench, providing MGW and Ndiaye are fit.

For me it’s Berge or Norwood and Fleck or Hourihane, which is great competition for places and should raise each other’s game like it did with Fleck on Saturday

He can't defend .. and he seems to run the ball out if play or run up a dead end...
There right back had him his pocket when he tried to go by him.. sane with luton gane ... Anyways good luck to the lad still young and will learn

You are talking about him going forward in which case he was very average last night,I agree. He didn’t do a lot wrong defensive wise as a lot came down their right side. Lost his man 2nd half and yanked him back but that wasn’t his defending side,as said still learning but we have been spoilt by a cracking left back when he was in form. In general our back four needs to tighten up significantly as even a average side gets through us too easy with too many gaps.

You are talking about him going forward in which case he was very average last night,I agree. He didn’t do a lot wrong defensive wise as a lot came down their right side. Lost his man 2nd half and yanked him back but that wasn’t his defending side,as said still learning but we have been spoilt by a cracking left back when he was in form. In general our back four needs to tighten up significantly as even a average side gets through us too easy with too many gaps.
on Saturday that lad demeble is it off Pboro, that we where linked with cut him open 3 times with passes onto there right midfielder.. again not knocking the kid , he is still learning , Last night was it him or Robinson that caught out with the ball over the top that Johnson scored from .. my opinion is , when confidence is up Stevens is the best left back in the league, again just my opinion, will Enda get confidence back is another thing.. fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom