Wilder transfer window paradox

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
The talk has been very much of Wilder’s awful transfer record. Now, I’m neither a Wilder apologist or hater but I actually think that the irony of his record i the market was that he was so varying in the successes of you school window. They seemed either excellent or terrible with not much in the middle. A couple of examples…

1st window - JOC, Duffy, Fleck, Wright, Moore, Lafferty, Clarke. I know we also saw Hussey arrive but that window saw the arrival of the spine it’s hugely successful team.

5th window - Egan, Henderson (loan), Norwood, McGoldrick. Again, that’s an amazing success rate.

Now for the bad…

7th window- Robinson, Freeman, Mousett, McBurnie, Morrison, Osbourne, Henderson (loan - obviously you exception in this window Tbf). A truly terrible premier recruitment drive - no one really became a definite starter despite tens of millions spent/wasted.

9th window - Ramsdale, Brewster. Yes we got a profit from Ramsdale but we needed much more in the window and Brewster will go down as the worst transfer ever in our club’s history - quite easily.

So the irony is that Wilder actually built his success on amazing windows but hit a wall when the game changed in the Prem. it’s the same accusation that was always aimed at Warnock - good at a certain level but out of depth above this. It is weird when you think about all the windows of the last few years - they are either amazing or shite. We don’t do okay. Such a inconsistent outcome does show we need an actual transfer policy (ala Brentford) otherwise success or failure simply becomes a luck of the draw game of chance.

Also, before anyone gets it in first, I fucking detest the phrase transfer window!!!

Imagine…an actual plan!!!
Imagine buying a striker for £2mil, playing them for one season where they score 20+ goals in the league then selling them for £20mil+ the following season. I wouldn't be mad with that.

We have no one left to sell for decent fees, other than Berge, where we might just break even. We did well to make profit on Ramsdale when we sold him, if you ignore the fact that we bought him back for more than 10x what we sold him for.

You can’t talk about transfer business without talking about sales.
He sold DCL,Ramsdale,Adams and Brooks for peanuts. Didn’t/ couldn’t sell players past there best Fleck ,Norwood ,Clarke Stevens etc etc

Useless ,that’s why he’s gone
See you joined in late 2020, you missed all the best bits…

Those good transfer windows, we were able to buy established players, for the league we were in.

In the Premier League, we weren't able to buy established Premier League players. Simply couldn't afford them. So then, you're gambling on young players, or players you think could make the step up. The players we signed couldn't make the step up and their confidence is now shot.

wilders transfer policy was abysmal in the last 18 months but just wonder if paul mitchell is getting a free ride here he has to be held partly responsible for this shambles as well

He sold DCL,Ramsdale,Adams and Brooks for peanuts. Didn’t/ couldn’t sell players past there best Fleck ,Norwood ,Clarke Stevens etc etc

Useless ,that’s why he’s
Ffs bet you weren’t saying that before it went tits up?
Around 15 million in sales got us to 9th in the premiership and 4 years of some of the best football seen at the lane
So I reckon that those 15 or so million in sales ( with sell on clauses some of which we benefited from ) was astute business
Then it went tits up

Ffs bet you weren’t saying that before it went tits up?
Around 15 million in sales got us to 9th in the premiership and 4 years of some of the best football seen at the lane
So I reckon that those 15 or so million in sales ( with sell on clauses some of which we benefited from ) was astute business
Then it went tits up
How much is DCL,Brooks ,Adams and Ramsdale worth now?
And yes have been saying it all along

Those good transfer windows, we were able to buy established players, for the league we were in.

In the Premier League, we weren't able to buy established Premier League players. Simply couldn't afford them. So then, you're gambling on young players, or players you think could make the step up. The players we signed couldn't make the step up and their confidence is now shot.
Bang on! The policy was to sign players who hopefully make the step up and if we are relegated know this division and are able to perform in this division.

The current crop are much better than what we are seeing but this is also new manager and new coaching which is why we aren't hitting the ground running.

But to make it work you always need fresh blood. It raises the bar if the squad with the competition and whatever the new players bring. Even the best teams add a few each summer and we obviously aren't one of those!

wilders transfer policy was abysmal in the last 18 months but just wonder if paul mitchell is getting a free ride here he has to be held partly responsible for this shambles as well
It might be ,but Wilder had final say

I didn't join the world in 2020, one of the reasons I joined the forum was to start having a go at Wilder.
I see I am in good company now
Wilder was responsible for our glorious years but also responsible for our less than glorious years and has left us in a bit of a jam.
The jury is still out on whether the new management team can get us out of it, or if we are fucked beyond repair.

Or the one he was rumoured to have refused to sign like Mauoey, Toney..

You have to contextualise the sales. Those players were sold as the Prince and McCabe wouldn't fund the budget of even a mid table Championship team. Wilder took us to the Premier league with two players that cost over a million pounds (Norwood 1.2 million, Egan 3.5 million). He had three players sold under him for more than a million (Ramsdale, Brooks, Dominic Calvert Lewin).
In his first season in the Championship he kept us up with two players costing above 10 million: Mcburnie and Berge (January arrival).

Good to see someone else with some understanding of what happened.
Most in here seem to think Wilder preferred having to buy cheaper players with higher risk and missing out on his top targets.

That exercise in propaganda by the club after Wilder left certainly did the trick for some!

Well we are really reaping the benefits now eh….looking forward to our “expert” owner and his transfer committee bringing in those top players for our new foreign coach.
Everyone thinks “Slav wouldn’t be here if he hadn’t had some assurances on transfers”…well I’m not buying that either…he’s here now, if he walks he gets feck all.

Think we can fully expect a huge battle this season, and a lot of money going back into covering the loans he took out (he had no cash to put up to spend in the premier). It’s about making sure the club doesn’t lose money, which in reality means going backwards.

Maupay was his first choice over Mcburnie. Maupay came up to Sheffield but we weren't able to offer as good a wage as Brighton. Mcburnie was the next target.
I always thought the biggest mistake (or one of) that summer was going for Freeman over Eze when we had the money and the pull. Imagine if we had Maupay and Eze now

I dream of us having a scouting network like Brentford. Buy a player from abroad for peanuts. Sell them for a fortune a year later and scout an immediate replacement.

Sounds like me on football manager. Except I target the hottest prospects for free from South America every single year so that every year I have assets to either sell for a big profit or they have developed well enough to play first team football... and it worked a treat, I've got a first XI that includes Mbappe, Sane, Donnarumma, Olmo, Pedri, Bastoni, Malcolm and De Light. And within 10 years got the Blades 4 PL titles, 2 champions league, an FA Cup, 2 Carabao cups, 1 European Super Cup and World Club Champions!

Transfer windows are for clubs with a transfer window policy,this has been the most boring transfer window in my memory,transfer windows should be exciting,this transfer window is as dull as Hull.

#Transferwindow

Back
Top Bottom