What signings do we actually need?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Champagneblade

Reaction score
We've got the new man in place and with that a number of loan players have also returned.

The common view seems to be that we will either be lining up 3-5-2 or some variation of 4-3-3.

Trying to be as objective as possible with the established players taking precedent, you are looking at this potentially:

3-5-2
Ramsdale
Basham Egan RND
Baldock Berge Norwood Fleck Stevens
McGoldrick McBurnie

4-3-3
Ramsdale
Baldock Basham Egan Stevens
Berge Norwood Fleck
Burke/Bogle McBurnie McGoldrick/Freeman

Where is this lacking? Who needs to go and who needs to replace them or what type?

GK - you'd assume if he stays Rammers is well ahead of Verrips, Foderingham and Eastwood. One of which would be loaned at the very least or sold, if not 2. Otherwise they'd either compete for Rammers' spot or have a new first choice come in. First question then, if Rammers did go, would you source from within or hire?

DR/L- In addition to the above you've got Bogle and Osborn obvious omissions, Lowe, RND as further competition to Stevens in a 4-3-3. I don't see Seriki being more than loaned out or back up if one of the fullbacks are sold. Second question. Re: Stevens and Baldock, do you persevere with those who got us up or is it time to move away from the old guard? Third question, does your choice of full back change depending on the system?

DC - Can we cope with what the squad offers with RND and Robinson filling in for the ever so dim light of a JOC return or do we need to recruit? Fourthly do we still need to recruit here?

M - if you got offered a couple of years ago as the team to bounce back still Norwood, still Fleck and a 22m Norwegian International as replacement for Duffy and Lundstram, I think you'd be taking that hand and the wristwatch attached to it! But similar to Stevens, have Norwood and Fleck got it in the tank still? Do you still trust them? If Berge stays are you happy with that trio? If he goes, do you source internally with Osborn, try Freeman in the no 10 he was bought for? Drop Didzy back? Give Slater or Brunt a game?

F - I listed McBurnie because I think he'll be at the forefront of the coach's mind given his age and prior season there. But I'm nostalgic and I'd like to see McGoldrick and Sharp again. Chris could largely say his actions were justified in the first season and that staying up justified all that he did. Personally I still think Sharp would have scored as many as McBurnie and Mousset if afforded the chance. Maybe Chris liked to be seen as ruthless or he just thought it was for the best but I did think Sharp got a raw deal in the top flight and 30 goals getting us promoted should have given him priority. But you've got those 3, Mousset, Jebbison, possibly Burke, possibly N'Diaye and of course Brewster who so much has been expected of. Who do you go with as a front two? Could you fashion a three out of three strikers or would you need a winger or two in Burke or Freeman to make it work? Who do you offload? The striking department is overflowing with bodies.

To recap:

1. if Rammers did go, would you source from within or hire?
2. Do you persevere with those who got us up or is it time to move away from the old guard?
3. Does your choice of full back change depending on the system?
4. Do we need to recruit a centre half?
5. Do we have the players to fashion an effective Championship midfield or do we need to recruit? If so, what type?
6. Who are your front 2 if a 2 or 3 if a 3?
7. Which strikers are you sending out the door?

Thanks for your replies.

We need pace, power and athleticism throughout the team. And midfielders. And central defenders.

I don’t subscribe to the view that this current lot will get us near to promotion. And even if they did, what then? We can’t go into another PL season with the team that failed so dismally last time out. That’d be unbearable

Berge, Fleck and Norwood, all do a job (some more than others...) and, you'd hope, will be capable / comfortable in the Champ. Osborne showed he's more than fit for the job or backup and if we can get Luke Freeman back to his best, then I'd happily see him in the squad. After all that, we need Midfielders. I think it's pretty well known that Slav likes to be tactically flexible so a bench with depth, quality and importantly, variety in type of Midfield player are paramount IMO.

We also need to acknowledge JOC is still on the fringes of any conversation and Bash is going to run out of steam eventually. Up top, I think we're sorted, although I wouldn't be too surprised if we see one in and one out (Moose, I'm looking at you).

In an ideal world I would be looking to move a fair few on. Realistically, Foderingham, Stevens, Robinson, Lowe, Fleck, Norwood, Burke, Mousset, McBurnie, Brewster etc would not be attractive to clubs who could afford to pay the wages they are on in multi year contracts. So we are stuck with them. Actual saleable assets - Baldock, Bogle, Egan, Ramsdale, Berge and Jebbison. I'd like to keep them all but I think at least 1willgo.

I'd be scouting round for potential swap deals in the mould of the Burke/CRobinson deal if possible. Our shitty contract in a swap for yours and hope a scenery change helps.

Apart from that, use the loans well, get bigger/stronger/faster where possible and develop new ways to attack (with variety)

Players that put us a class above run of the mill championship teams so that class shows in a game and it doesn't turn into a season of 95 minute slogging,also the same players to give us the advantage over the other 5 teams who are above run of the mill opponents and will give us more problems,its about quality,and more of it than we have at the moment.

I think its probably fair to assume that out of Stevens, Fleck and Norwood (to pick that got us up last time but flopped last year), 1 or 2 will get back to their best with a new man, and drop in division, while 1 or 2 will continue their struggles. These 3 dropping off a cliff last year were a big factor for me.

I think outgoings will determine our arrivals. Selling either Rammers or Berge will give us £20m+ to spend, with which we should be able to get some decent quality in.

I'd say we need 1xCB (that can play CB or RCB), and 1-2 MF (increasing that if Berge or Freeman leave). Then maybe a CF to boot, as I assume Moose won't be around the first team scene.

Of course if we sell Rammers, or Egan, or one of the RBs then they will need replacing on top of the above.

We've got the new man in place and with that a number of loan players have also returned.

The common view seems to be that we will either be lining up 3-5-2 or some variation of 4-3-3.

Trying to be as objective as possible with the established players taking precedent, you are looking at this potentially:

3-5-2
Ramsdale
Basham Egan RND
McGoldrick McBurnie

4-3-3
Ramsdale
Berge Norwood Fleck

Where is this lacking? Who needs to go and who needs to replace them or what type?

GK - you'd assume if he stays Rammers is well ahead of Verrips, Foderingham and Eastwood. One of which would be loaned at the very least or sold, if not 2. Otherwise they'd either compete for Rammers' spot or have a new first choice come in. First question then, if Rammers did go, would you source from within or hire?

DR/L- In addition to the above you've got Bogle and Osborn obvious omissions, Lowe, RND as further competition to Stevens in a 4-3-3. I don't see Seriki being more than loaned out or back up if one of the fullbacks are sold. Second question. Re: Stevens and Baldock, do you persevere with those who got us up or is it time to move away from the old guard? Third question, does your choice of full back change depending on the system?

DC - Can we cope with what the squad offers with RND and Robinson filling in for the ever so dim light of a JOC return or do we need to recruit? Fourthly do we still need to recruit here?

M - if you got offered a couple of years ago as the team to bounce back still Norwood, still Fleck and a 22m Norwegian International as replacement for Duffy and Lundstram, I think you'd be taking that hand and the wristwatch attached to it! But similar to Stevens, have Norwood and Fleck got it in the tank still? Do you still trust them? If Berge stays are you happy with that trio? If he goes, do you source internally with Osborn, try Freeman in the no 10 he was bought for? Drop Didzy back? Give Slater or Brunt a game?

F - I listed McBurnie because I think he'll be at the forefront of the coach's mind given his age and prior season there. But I'm nostalgic and I'd like to see McGoldrick and Sharp again. Chris could largely say his actions were justified in the first season and that staying up justified all that he did. Personally I still think Sharp would have scored as many as McBurnie and Mousset if afforded the chance. Maybe Chris liked to be seen as ruthless or he just thought it was for the best but I did think Sharp got a raw deal in the top flight and 30 goals getting us promoted should have given him priority. But you've got those 3, Mousset, Jebbison, possibly Burke, possibly N'Diaye and of course Brewster who so much has been expected of. Who do you go with as a front two? Could you fashion a three out of three strikers or would you need a winger or two in Burke or Freeman to make it work? Who do you offload? The striking department is overflowing with bodies.

To recap:

2. Do you persevere with those who got us up or is it time to move away from the old guard?
5. Do we have the players to fashion an effective Championship midfield or do we need to recruit? If so, what type?

Thanks for your replies.
Midfielders with Lundstram leaving we lack cover/competition anyway without Berge leaving we need 2 if he does leave then we need 3. It’s alright saying the kids could step in but they’re completely unproven and that’s a massive risk I rate them but let them go and win their spurs like we’ve done with RND. Slater could be a part of the solution after his successful loan spell at hull but I still think that midfield would lack an X factor there isn’t a match winner in there.

Centrebacks we look like we’re going into the season with 3 senior professionals at that spot with Bryan leaving this leaves us dangerously exposed. Again the kids look promising but haven’t played any men’s football apart from graham and he’s not been successful so they really can’t be factored in to this years equation. That means we need 2 I think ideally a lefty and a righty hopefully with some pace to them.

3-5-2
Ramsdale
Basham Egan RND
McGoldrick McBurnie

4-3-3
Ramsdale
Berge Norwood Fleck

To recap:

Thanks for your replies.
There is no hardman in those midfields,a player who can break up the oppositions play,like KP does for Leeds and England.

The only way our current midfield gains possession back is by the opposition giving the ball away cheaply,it did not happen much in the Prem it might happen more in the Champ because there is less quality,but the midfield needs to be more assertive and imposing,so get a hardman and a visionary in there.

It’s obvious, as it was before the start of last season we need some pace and creativity in the final 3rd.

we are in for a long disappointing season if we aim to play 4-3-3 with the current squad.

berge will go, so we need at least 3 midfielders to replace him and lundstram and add to the squad. There’s basically nothing behind fleck and Norwood - who we have to hope return to some sort of form.

If get a head turning offer for ramsdale we will sell. But I think we could invest say 50% of the fee and find a strong replacement.

No point in signing a striker, we have to hope that we can get a tune out of the current lot at this level!

we also need some central defensive cover as who knows if Egan will be here or if JOC will return the same player.

in short despite playing in the PL the squad is drastically lacking in a lot of key areas and the job of building the squad was pretty flawed on review

Spanish midfielders
Purely because, Spanish midfielders are taught from birth how to control a football and create an extra second of time that allows them to be creative and skilful.

i think were looking at a minimum of 5 players coming in 2 centre backs at least 2 midfielders and possibly 1 more striker if slav ships a couple out

Who ever we need we need them soon, that preseason clock is ticking and we must get a good one into them.

GK - fine
RWB - fine

RCB - need cover
CB - fine
LCB - need cover / starting 11 as JoC looks long term
RM - need cover
CMF - starting 11
LMF - fine
up front fine

Think we're alright in the keeper department, Rammers, Verrips and Wes are good enough for the Championship. Eastwood probably going too.

GK - Moore

Even though they wasn't first teamers, the defence looks thin. JOC is fucked too.

RCB - Rodwell
CB - Jagielka
LCB - Bryan

In midfield I'd sign a new midfield 3. Berge's probably going and the rest aren't getting any younger.

RCM - Lundstram

Strikers are fine.

Think we're alright in the keeper department, Rammers, Verrips and Wes are good enough for the Championship. Eastwood probably going too.

GK - Moore

Even though they wasn't first teamers, the defence looks thin. JOC is fucked too.

RCB - Rodwell
CB - Jagielka
LCB - Bryan

In midfield I'd sign a new midfield 3. Berge's probably going and the rest aren't getting any younger.

RCM - Lundstram

Strikers are fine.
How do you know Verrips and Fodringham are good enough? I've seen Verrips for about 20 minutes and a few short highlights from his loan Fodringham I saw enough in that one game at Burnley to say he ain't good enough. Its the Championship we are dropping to, not Sunday League ffs, where, when you a drop a league the next one is shit type of thing. It professional sport at elite level. Take away the highest technical skill factor that is displayed at and in every position on the field in the "Premiership then the other differences are not that much

left cb is needed rnd and robinson are left backs. creative midfielders needed badly too

How do you know Verrips and Fodringham are good enough? I've seen Verrips for about 20 minutes and a few short highlights from his loan Fodringham I saw enough in that one game at Burnley to say he ain't good enough. Its the Championship we are dropping to, not Sunday League ffs, where, when you a drop a league the next one is shit type of thing. It professional sport at elite level. Take away the highest technical skill factor that is displayed at and in every position on the field in the "Premiership then the other differences are not that much
Yeah exactly were in the CHAMPIONSHIP, wtf you expecting? A sub goalkeeper that's worth millions? Because unless he's injured Ramsdale is playing every game.

I feel a central defender and a couple of midfielders are key. I think we'll be playing 352 next season as we'll need to bring in a lot of wide players to fit any other formation. It's pretty much an en vogue formation these days anyway (I think half of Serie A plays 352 and it's been common at the Euros).

I've only bothered at looking at young Championship midfield talent so far. I like Olise at Reading. He's young, left footed and a creative talent. Similar story with O'Hare at Coventry. Direct and positive in his passing. Both super influencable (is that a word?!) under a good coach imo. I also like Wilks from Hull. Would be an interesting young prospect for a wide player who could also cut inside. Pacey and young and may have 1 year left on his contract. Yorkshire boy too.

I never thought I'd say this...but I too think we might be alright up front this year. I expect Brewster and McBurnie to come good and we have Sharp and McGoldrick capable of getting into double figures as well. Burke is an interesting one...his pace will be a nightmare to live with but I still think he might be a bit sh*t.

Just a thought but, if Slavs way of playing is press, press and press again that will call for high energy and athleticism, who from the current squad fits that criteria ?

left cb is needed rnd and robinson are left backs. creative midfielders needed badly too
i think jack robinson will be good enough in the championship either lcb or left sided centre back had 3 very good games at the back end of last season

I feel a central defender and a couple of midfielders are key. I think we'll be playing 352 next season as we'll need to bring in a lot of wide players to fit any other formation. It's pretty much an en vogue formation these days anyway (I think half of Serie A plays 352 and it's been common at the Euros).

I've only bothered at looking at young Championship midfield talent so far. I like Olise at Reading. He's young, left footed and a creative talent. Similar story with O'Hare at Coventry. Direct and positive in his passing. Both super influencable (is that a word?!) under a good coach imo. I also like Wilks from Hull. Would be an interesting young prospect for a wide player who could also cut inside. Pacey and young and may have 1 year left on his contract. Yorkshire boy too.
Both those midfielders you’ve mentioned would be dreamland for me.

Just a thought but, if Slavs way of playing is press, press and press again that will call for high energy and athleticism, who from the current squad fits that criteria ?
Berge, slater, fleck and Osborn. Norwood has done it for Slav before but would have to significantly up his levels.

i think jack robinson will be good enough in the championship either lcb or left sided centre back had 3 very good games at the back end of last season
Happy with him in a back 3 as a 1 season hedge while we wait for O'Connell, but would have reservations as a LCB in a back 4.

I know the championship isn't quite the hoof league it used to be but we need another aerially dominant CB, especially if we revert to a back 4.

Happy with him in a back 3 as a 1 season hedge while we wait for O'Connell, but would have reservations as a LCB in a back 4.

I know the championship isn't quite the hoof league it used to be but we need another aerially dominant CB, especially if we revert to a back 4.
i think we need 2 new centre backs anyway but your right we need at least 1 big physical type in the championship

Back
Top Bottom