United Season Review & School Report 20-21 - Part Three Manager/Coaches/Academy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Managerial team/Coaches/Academy

*Note - this was written before the Jokanovic appointment – I have tried to update in sections but apologies if it refer to us not having a manager yet in sections!

Chris Wilder Last season I wrote the following in this section: ‘My words cannot do justice to what he has done to the club, for the team and the fans. Other coaching staff, players, backroom staff have certainly had major parts but he is the focal point and the leader of everything that has happened. He has been fantastic to the club and you cannot say enough what he has done for the club, team, players he has brought in/brought on and for the fans. He has basically completely transformed the club. In turn we are now liked by national and international football fans and media. He is so presentable and likeable. He always fronts up to the media and is funny, honest and self-depreciating too. He never gets ahead of himself and whilst confident, is not cocky or arrogant. His post match interviews remain very honest. He will say it like it is. He has at times occasionally even criticised an individual or the team a few times (Liverpool at home with Henderson or Liverpool away for the team) but less so this season and maybe kept things in house more and generally praises a ‘great group.’ That was until his Leicester rant which reminded me of Hull a few years ago! To be fair he has not had to criticise them much anyway as they do everything, he asks them to do. Often, he says exactly what most fans are thinking. He maybe has been questioned for throwing them under the bus a bit but that is his style and earned the right to say what he wants pretty much. He has embraced the challenge of going up against top level managers and was right in the mix for manager of the year until we maybe fell off a bit towards the end. It was always going to be hard to keep the momentum going and the break did not help us but then we seemed to get going and he outcoached some big clubs/managers but we just ran out of steam. At the end even he could not criticise too much as saw the players were doing their best but could not just keep to what they had done. We did fall away and it clearly rankled as he talked of us going to the summer as losers when in reality even, he knew that was not the case.’

A year later and he is no longer our manager and we are out of the top flight. So much has been discussed about Wilder’s accomplishments. He really was the architect of a simply fantastic time at the club. It was 4 absolutely amazing years where we achieved things most of us never thought possible. He made average players look amazing and galvanised the whole club. We were relevant again. He was our leader. Our messiah. Sure, there were things he did that the board, players and even fans may have got annoyed by but he backed it up. I felt we would go on and at be comfortable this season and the only fear was when he would be inevitably be poached by a bigger club who could realise his trophy ambitions or even the England job. He was one of the talks of the country. 6 months later and he was sadly seen as the next success story that simply could not maintain it. Was he another Paul Jewell, Nigel Adkins or David Wagner? We won’t know until his next managerial chapter is written.

What we do know is I never envisaged that when I walked out of Bramall Lane against Norwich City and we were 6thplace that the next time I returned to the Lane, Wilder would not be here and we would be back as a Championship club. The pandemic, injuries, lack of momentum, poor form, players believing their own hype and maybe even Wilder doing that also. Whatever could go wrong has gone wrong. I could debate so many things here and discuss what he or the club could have done differently. It is easy in hindsight. The recruitment has been billed as a big one but a year ago many of us would not have wanted major changes to the starting line-up. We wanted maybe a quality striker, another midfielder, a keeper of course and some decent back ups who would not see such a big drop off. Ironically, he signed a keeper we all seemed happy with it, he got a talented young striker (I think if we had signed Welbeck or Deeney instead at the time, Wilder and the club would have got criticised and said why did we not go for a younger option?) and some backs ups at wing back. We needed a midfielder but then he would not have known that players would have dropped off so much. Wilder can discuss the wages and maybe not being able to compete with some but still had decent funds really. It is clear most of his signings both last summer and the one before has not come off. He has spent a lot of money and not improved the side. Still even with the poor signings, the core of the Championship team had performed so well. No one would have though the midfield 3, Stevens and even Mousse/McBurnie would have dropped off and contributed so little. Some of the players had looked some of the best in their respective positions a year ago but now the likes of Fleck and Stevens turned into footballers who literally could barely do anything right. Whether it was complacency, confidence or fitness, it all went wrong. Maybe we should have seen the signs after lockdown when other than two performances we did not look the same side. Indeed, maybe even the cracks were creeping in after Xmas with some narrow wins but not the same level of performance.

It seemed like the nightmare start to Wolves then snowballed into another defeat and then another and before you know it a relatively kind start fixture wise saw mostly defeats and then we had tough games and all of a sudden, we were stuck rock bottom.

I do think Wilder needed to lose his stubbornness not just in certain players being selected (maybe he had no choice due to the injuries which granted did not help – but only O’Connell of the main players was consistently not available the first 3 months) but the approach and formation. He continued to play the same way despite us shipping goals and not creating much at all. He just kept repeating that the system was fine but it was down to mistakes or small margins. The reality was that it was not. Even games we lost narrowly in most cases we deserved to lose. Even games we drew (Fulham/Brighton) we should have lost really. The excuses started to wear thin and then after such a gung-ho approach last season to the way we played and the way he spoke, we had this almost white flag mentality. He was openly saying other teams were better and had better players. This clearly irked the Prince as he was effectively saying the players were not good enough.

I think at this point he really started to lose any chance of turning things around. He looked drained and him being caught on camera after the abject defeat at Palace saying, ‘I can’t do this anymore’ was when I thought he will not be here much longer. He started to become more chippy in pre and post match stuff but more than this the way the players were approaching and performing suggested the belief had completely gone. I thought he would walk away a few times and it seems he had tried to. After he did not, I then thought he may remain till the end of the season and after we had a few better games, I thought at least he had found his mo-jo back (his impassioned ‘trust your mates’ after a rare win seemed like the old Wilder was back) but before you knew it, there were more spineless showings. Ability wise I concede some may have struggled to replicate the form of last season but even with this drop off, the Wilder oft used mantra of ‘out run, out tackle, out fight’ opponents was completely missing as his players now seemed incapable of even doing the basis.

When he left, I was not shocked. Maybe the timing a little. It had not been talked about that week but clearly things had been developing behind the scenes. The reaction seemed to be overwhelming in that the club had dropped a massive rick in allowing him to leave (whether he had resigned, been sacked or mutual decision). We will not know what really happened? Whether he just feel that he could not do anymore with the finances he had available or if he had just had enough or whether the relationship had completely broken down – maybe a bit of everything. It was a sad way for it to end.

I had hoped he would leave in different circumstances and as to quote him again ‘go out the front door’ but it felt like he had left out through the back door. I personally was disappointed he did not remain at least until the end of the season or even more give it one more go next season in the Championship. It is his club and this chance will never come again you do not feel. He will never work for the club again you would not think. It must have been something fairly significant to walk away from as he said ‘his dream job.’ We will see where he ends up next but as much as we thank him and can reflect (maybe more so later down the line) on what a time we had – then at the moment whilst I wish him well, I am not really that bothered where he ends up now. He will have been financially looked after and so maybe will take a break. I am not sure unless he adapts a bit that he will go on and maybe quite be the manager I thought he would. He needs to be more adaptable in terms of tactics but also may need to sometimes bite his lip at times and accept there maybe others above him whether I still think he is a fantastic manager but many in football will see him as the manager that oversaw a dreadful campaign and that is the more recent part of his career that people remember. Still, it is one bad season and he will get a chance to resurrect his reputation that went from as high as it can be to quite low but he probably still had a fair bit in the bank credit wise. Whether it is a lower-level Premier League club or as I feel more likely another Championship side, then it will be interesting where he turns up. For us we have to move on. We have no choice. It is sad and hard that he is no longer our manager – in a weird way (a bit like Warnock and Bassett) it seemed like he might be our manager forever – certainly for maybe 10 years+ but it ended far quicker than I hoped or envisaged. The problem is everything was set up around him, from the coaching staff, to scouting and the whole set up. The fact the club had no real plan seemingly for when this ended is not down to him.

Still, for all the criticism of this season and let’s be honest he and the players have made a right mess of it, we would not be there without him and them. They got us up there. 5 years ago, I just dreamed of being a mid-table Championship club again. Within 3 we were back in the top flight and a year later we were competing for Europe. It was all possible due to him. Maybe things had reached the end of a natural cycle and the in intensity and momentum could simply not be maintained but I think on time we will look back on what has been a remarkable period rather than the last 12 months. At the moment I am still a little irked by how he left and certain things he said and maybe there is an element of feeling he walked out on us a bit but I do not know his side totally and what I would say is that for all the criticism of things he had done and said recently; the previous 4 years and what he did far surpasses this. His statement he gave mid-April was classy but done through his agency. You guess there are things he would probably love to say but it may take years for his real thoughts to emerge. For him be interesting to see where he ends up after a break. There has been talk of Celtic and WBA and sure he will get a decent job so be interesting to see how he fares. I think he will show his unity and many of the qualities he has in all the jobs he has so far, but he will have to show some adaptability in terms of who he works under and perhaps be more open to certain things and less stubborn/insular in his ways.

He has been amazing for this football club and I will never forget some of the days/nights we had under his leadership. We will probably never again have such a run through the leagues and indeed the top league managed and captained by fans, proper Blades. We may get back up to the top league one day (hopefully sooner than the previous occasions we went down!) but it may never replicate the togetherness and feelings we had. The scenes around the Lane, London Road, the car park and the Town Hall are periods that are going to be hard to top. I really wanted him to be our manager for 10 years+ and create a legacy for the club forever but an incredible journey seemed to end too soon and quite suddenly from where we were a year ago. Still his position as one of the greatest Blades managers of all times is firmly set in stone and he is right there with Bassett for me in my lifetime.

Grade F (Last season A)

Paul Heckingbottom It was the back end of last season – end of July when Heckingbottom was appointed as U23 coach. It seemed a bit of a coup after we had seen Andy Hughes come and go quite quickly. He had been manager at Barnsley and done well and got the Leeds job but this did not go quite as well and he had a short stint in Scotland with Hibs. Maybe he did not want to go back into full time 1st team managing and had done well in coaching at University level and then at Barnsley coaching younger players. He had seemingly been successful at this aspect of the game. He made an impression with the u23’s and several players started to catch the eye. However, even he would not have thought he would be back as a first team manager at the Lane and in the Premier League. When Wilder left, Knill was probably too close to the outgoing manager and also there were doubts over his future too. Heckingbottom was given the job on a temporary basis but the speed of events and the Blades position in the table probably meant he would remain in caretaker charge for a fair few games and maybe even till the end of the season. It ended up with him managing eleven games including the FA Cup Quarter Final.

He seemed like a rabbit in the headlights as he joined up with the first team (needing to pass certain health tests for Covid) on the day of the game and United were blitzed in a real low point of the season. Even he admitted that everyone was a bit shocked. After a week of working with the team we saw a decent performance albeit a loss in the cup at Chelsea but then we were really poor at his former club Leeds. It did not help he had many key men missing but surely no one can blame him for the losing continues. The wheels had been set in motion a long time before.

He spoke well in his press conferences and was very honest and up front and seems a decent guy but quickly you realised he was another out of his depth at this level. He changed nothing and if anything, we got worse. Whatever he was saying, the players were not able or could not respond and it looked like they were just going through the motions. We looked completely rudderless and he seemed to have no authority, conviction or idea really. He looked clueless how to change things and now as well as losing we were losing hopelessly. We had one win against Brighton but for the most part the performances were completely insipid and the players form did not improve – it maybe got even worse individually and collectively (save for a few exceptions).

I was shocked her persisted with the same formation/style and certain players (Lundstram, Stevens, McBurnie) when he could have tried something different. We were losing anyway so give something else a go? Play a few of the kids he has worked with – maybe he knew they were a long way off? I just felt he came in and it was all the same. I am not sure whether he had any aspirations for the job but the results and performances showed quite quickly he will be returning to the u23’s so I thought but then they said he was on the shortlist after we beat Brighton and his stance seemed to change too. A hammering at Spurs then another pitiful showing at home to Palace. The local media bizarrely seemed behind him but he looked massively out of his depth. He then played a youngster, Jebbsion and tweaked the shape and we won in a much better showing. He then about this time started backpeddaling, saying he did not want the job or knew what his plans were or had always been? We finished our away season with another sub-par performance at Newcastle but then won at home to Burnley, so a nice way for him to bow out.

You would think he will go back to the u23’s but then be interesting to see what happens if we get a Director of Football and what the new manager does. Quite quickly you could see more new people arrive at the Academy/u23 level but Lester and him seem to be doing an ok job even without the Cat 1 status and facilities we need to progress so you would hope this area of the club has some stability at least in terms of personnel. Maybe he might get a taste to be a manager again though and you would think he could get a job in League 1/2 and even with the losses this experience puts him back into the spotlight for such positions if he wanted to go back to management. His spell in charge of us though has probably damaged his coaching/management CV.

Grade E+ (Last season NA)

Alan Knill continued as Wilder’s trusty aide but as the questions were posed at Wilder for the lack of plan B and tactical issues alongside the drop off in form, then you would maybe have to ask the same questions of him too? He quietly went ab out his business but as the season went on and the losses piled up then it’s natural all areas of the club from players to management to back room would be questioned. Certainly, the novel set plays and different things we tried seemed to not be happening and with the overlapping centre backs and the way we played not working, you felt maybe we would have a different way of operating even if not the formation. We carried on doing the same things and getting the same poor results. Seems a likeable chap and you wonder how much Wilder would have leant on him this season as surely it would have had a huge effect on him.

When Wilder did leave, I was surprised he remained and thought it was only a matter of time before he departed. I felt the offer of another role was a bit insulting or at least to have that played out publicly. Sure, he was under contact and there has to be an element of knowing a new manager would want his own men and therefore it would be hard for him to stay in an eminent coaching role but not sure that it was great it leaking out he had been offered a lesser role. It seemed that he would leave and that the club and him were in talks for a while. I did not see him on the bench at all after Wilder left but was apparently still at training and working with the team. He seemed to just disappear though after Wilder left but clearly was still employed by the club as there had been no announcement. This seemed to go on for weeks after the news story that they were in talks and then we heard nothing. I still do not know if he is still at club but would presume so as there has been no announcement. Seems a bit off but definitely seems a case of gardening leave until his contract situation is paid off. Surprised one has asked Heckingbottom recently if he is still at the club or involved? I now think it is certainty he moves on with the new appointment.

Matt Prestridge was the least known of the three main coaches but his work on the fitness and planning could not be underestimated. Our injury record had actually been stellar over the last few years with very few long-term injuries and he has meant even older players like McGoldrick, Basham and Sharp had stayed fit. I was concerned at this level that the super fit athletes and physical specimens would show us up but it never happened first season and rarely did a team look fitter. Maybe they had individuals with more pace and athleticism but even that did not see us losing games really – the likes of Traore for Wolves or Vardy at Leicester (pace and strength) or Mane/De Bruyne or Aguero (ability) hurt us but they hurt other teams and it was not down to them being more conditioned really.

Lockdown seemed to have a huge effect when the season was truncated last March to June. I thought we would come back raring to go due to our outstanding fitness record but then we started to pick up injuries (O’Connell and Fleck) even if they were more impact and the fitness seemed to be nowhere near the levels we expected when we started but maybe the number of games affected lots of club as not many teams were consistent (even the clubs like Liverpool and Man City). The shorter break seemed to mean that the club did not seem to get it right in terms of giving them rest or keeping them going and we seemed to be neither. Maybe we overworked during the first lockdown and should have had a break.

The season started and teams we had out run and out worked were now doing the same to us. I recall the opening games and thinking the conditioning of the players was not right. Sure, we picked up a number of injuries but only O’Connell was a big one early and then Berge but by this stage we were rock bottom. We had lots of niggle ones and this did not help with selection and consistency but I just thought we never had the same level of fitness and intensity. We did not win those battles and races Wilder talked of. The midfield all season were just completely overwhelmed and players who had seemed fine stamina/endurance and strength wise now looked like they were junior players playing men’s football. The likes of Norwood, Fleck and Stevens were just being brushed aside. They could not keep up and teams would break on us constantly and chances came at a high rate due to us not having the legs to get back. None of the strikers could remain fit all season and even regulars like Basham, Egan and Baldock missed time. Prestridge took all the plaudits for how super fit the side was and maybe they had just reached their peak (many of the main players are the wrong side of 30) but it just seemed off that a 2-month break and then a 6-week break between the two parts of last season and the new season, would see such a huge drop off in this aspect. It was bizarre. Maybe confidence and losses just made the fitness/conditioning seem even worse but it certainly rarely saw us win those 50/50 battles and the key loose balls or moments in games and this in turn meant the few chances we did create was magnified even more (last year we did not create much either but the defence was so solid). As the season went on the fitness and lack of sharpness as more than alarming. The players did not look like they were professionals in terms of fitness, athleticism, pace, running power in comparison to who they were up against.

After he left things got even worse and the fitness and conditioning seemed just not there but maybe that was confidence and the basics not being executed that made it look as if the players were not able to run/compete. I was concerned that our players who did so well in this area, were routinely out ran and out muscled for most of the season and this is an area we have to focus on alongside the new technical side as a new management team comes in.

He moved on not long after Wilder along with Darren Ward the goalkeeping coach. Ward had been here a while and worked with Henderson (and before that Blackman and Moore) and had clearly been involved in the Ramsdale signing and we have seen eventually we may have a good one here. I think we made mistakes with the back ups as Moore should have been moved on a while ago as clearly a decent pro but not good enough at this level. Verrips was never given a chance so training would indicate a similar feeling. Foderingham also seemed an odd signing. Throw in Eastwood and we had 4 keepers and none you would particularly trust as a competent back up at this level or even the Championship. Ward clearly deserves some credit for the work he has done with Henderson and Ramsdale (senior England and u21 keepers) and sure will go wherever Wilder goes next. I think Matt Duke, a former Blades keeper is the current keeping coach but like with Heckingbottom not sure that was a permanent move, as he was employed to work with the academy keepers. Mike Allen, the guy behind the analysis and date also moved on with Prestridge and Ward.

Jason Tindall came in to assist Heckingbottom. The fact he was Betis mate did not sit well but we probably needed another coach to come in and he had been Eddie Howe’s number 2 for 12 years so I am not sure there is a big issue with this. At first it was rumoured he was coming in as manager but this was not the case. He watched the Leicester game and was involved then the following week from the sideline. I never thought he was coming in to be more than a temporary appointment to help out. Some sensed his appointment was a pre cursor to Eddie Howe being named as manager in the summer but his appointment at Celtic and the fact the pair supposedly fell out were two significant flaws in this potential plan! He did showcase a lovely hooded top in his time on the touchline but whatever his fresh approach was it did not yield any significant change in results or performances really but it was hard for him and he was wrongly seen as the enemy. He came in to help out and that was it really. Yes, he knew Betis but surely if there were doubts over Knill, Heckingbottom needed support? I did not expect him to remain at the end of the season and now he will move on you think.

*Slavisa Jokanovic
I am not going to write too much about him at this stage as it has only happened today as I pen this! On the surface, I feel happy. He is probably the outstanding candidate out there in terms of experience at this level, gaining promotions and also playing a decent brand of football. I felt Blessing, Clement may have been more of a risk and then the other candidates I was not as convinced by.

He has been successful at Watford and Fulham and those sides were always entertaining. He had a fair bit of money but he was successful. He has managed 9 clubs in 14 years and Fulham was the longest he stayed at, for 2 years. The others he was only at around 1-2 years. However, Leeds fans could have said the same about Bielsa before he came and has stayed for a decent amount of time.

Jokanovic had a good career as a player after starting in his home country of the old Yugoslavia and won titles before moving to Spain and playing for a few clubs there and winning the league at Deportivo La Coruna. Played for his country 64 times too. He spent some time at Chelsea and then moved into management, first at his own country, then Bulgaria, then Spain before coming to Watford and being really successful in his first foray into management but then left after getting them up. Went to Israel and led them to the Champions League before returning to the UK. At Fulham he had a really exciting team that he got away from the bottom end of the Championship and then got them up beating Villa. He maybe tried to change too much and they struggled and he was sacked. He ended up in Qatar and was relatively successful in a somewhat footballing backwater in many ways.

He did operate with a 4-3-3 at times but has played with a 5-3-2 also. His sides generally have been very good to watch; playing good football, attacking and scoring lots of goals. I recall his sides playing out from the back and going through midfield (the overloads and going wide may be a thing of the past).

Our first international manager (if you do not count Danny Bergara – temporary) but his appointment means the club expect to me near the top – his is not coming here to be part of a long term plan you would not think where we would stay down and build/evolve. It may mean less turnover of players in the short term. We have a relatively experienced and deep squad and you would think now with this appointment, we will be expected to bounce back and be near the top – even those not of a Blades persuasion will see this appointment and think they will be top 6 or should be. We need to make changes of course but now I feel better that the current squad individually and collectively will have to come back and prove themselves to the new manager who will bring in some new faces too. An interesting time ahead!

Next season

It is so obvious to say that we have to get it right or close to right and not repeat mistakes of before (Bryan Robson) when we still have the makings of a club who can at least possibly be a yo-yo club a la Norwich, West Brom or Fulham. We cannot afford to be out of the top flight for 10+ years like has been the case after our last two previous relegations out of the Premier League and/or our next step to be downwards (League One). We need to stabilize and have a plan both short and long term. Can only hope the delays are around us getting the best man we can to do this and that Jokanovic will bring some direction. Whoever replaced Wilder won’t be good enough for some fans and it is a hard act to replace but we also have to remember Wilder made a right mess of things last season even if we would have been nowhere near the top flight without him. We could now face a completely new managerial set up with manager, coaches, staff etc. So could be quite a turnaround here and you would expect messrs Heckingbottom, Lester and Geary to remain but the rest might not be around even short term with staff like Knill, Tindall and Duke possibly moving on with a new manager wanting his own staff of course.

I hope that Jokanovic is decisive and does not spends ages evaluating and assessing. We need some swift action (bit like Wilder and Bassett did). I feel we do need a fair turnover of first teamers personally. People say you cannot change too much? Why not? Whilst time wise it will be hard to change 6 or 7 first teamers and a dozen of the squad due to contacts/funds etc – we are going to have to do that anyway over the next period and maybe some of the mainstays such as Norwood, Stevens, Fleck, Basham, McGoldrick, Sharp may remain but does anyone think they will be at the club in 12-18 months? I doubt it. We have been abject and the only reason many want some to stay is either loyalty for what they did or just it is a lower level. I am not sure long term that is a reason to keep consistently under performing players (not the latter 3 of the above granted) and we need to evolve fairly swiftly. That is why the length of time to get a new man in is not ideal. We will see how he can change things in terms of tactics, personnel, approach and confidence before August but I worry by keeping so much and not stamping his mark, we could waste too much of next season. If it takes us a few seasons to get back up, it is not a disaster but we cannot be allowed to stagnate (Stoke, Sunderland, Wigan, Huddersfield etc) like other big clubs have done. We all need to be galvanised really like Wilder did 5 years ago. I sense he is a strong man who can do what is necessary. My main concern is he has not stayed at clubs for long but hopefully this will be something that is not short term.

Academy / Development side

A huge thanks to Ball_Sup and @goodpinch (twitter handles) for their help in some of this section and they have helped me a fair bit to fill in the gaps etc. Indeed, a good section of below was taken from @goodpinch who gave me lots of details on the competitions, form and players! Also the brilliant roster that Ball_Sup completes and updates. Most of the factual stuff comes from them- the opinions are from myself! However, I would not have been able to do the below without their help! Do not tell me you do not want to know every stat (including minutes played right down to Schoolboys who have played for us)? Seriously, there is some great stuff below but I cannot take much credit.

Jack Lester
came into the club in July 2019 and now runs most things down at the Academy in terms of heading up the operations. He has quietly made changes that has seen the respective age groups enjoy success. Recently I saw him with number of others linked with the England u21 job with his work at Shirecliffe and before that at Forest seemingly garnering him some interest of Boothroyd left his post.

There was an interesting article in the Times (below) albeit written by a former teammate of Lester, Gregor Robertson but spoke of some of the things they were doing such as employment of a neuroscientist and it also described how we employed a loan analyst which is interesting! It seemed that after a lean few years that they have started to produce players again and I discuss some of those below.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...f?shareToken=2387bbcf7bcf1570caaa0ce3c10b5bfa

Overcoming the inferior facilities and not being a Grade 1 Academy is going to be a challenge but as Lester points out the coaching quality will remain high throughout the levels even if we don’t have the best pitches/changing rooms and gymnasiums/hydrotherapy etc.

The fact the Academy is Category B when most at this level and some lower is Category A means we are not going to get the top talent and teams like Burnley and Leeds are both now Category A. However, with the reputation of the club’s production and the coaches there present hopefully if we can move into the next level, we can produce top level players again. That has to be way forward. However, the academy was one of only two clubs (Ipswich the other and we know about their reputation for many years for producing talent) to reach the FA Youth Cup quarter finals before losing to Ipswich in extra time.

Derek Geary runs the u18’s in terms of match to match. At the U23 level since Heckingbottom had been working with the first team, two coaches with senior management experience came in, namely Graham Coughlan and Darren Currie but they seemed short term appointments.

Some of the u18’s/u23’s interchange – many are at different points buts it’s not uncommon for players to feature for both too and of course some have been around the first team. We have also had Mousset, Lowe of the first team play some games for the u23’s also.

---

Season summaries

The Blades continued to run an Elite Player Performance Plan Category 2 academy and therefore its younger pros and scholars once again competed at both the u23 and u18 levels in the Professional Development League (“PDL”). This season there were 18 clubs with Cat 2 academies split into two regional sections - north and south. We were placed in the north section and played the other eight teams home and away, and played the nine teams in the south section once - a total of 25 league games. The two teams finishing highest in the two sections qualified for the playoffs to determine the national champions.

Under the new management of Paul Heckingbottom, the u23s started the season with two points from their first three games; the same form that had seen them in next to bottom place when COVID had ended the previous season in March 2020. But then a complete turnaround saw the Blades win nine of their next ten games. After a slight, two points from a possible nine, wobble during late February/early March the team won seven in a row to wrap up the north title with two games to go. As northern champions, the playoff semi final was at Bramall Lane against southern runners-up, Ipswich Town. The Blades won comfortably, 4-0 with all goals coming in the first half, the first from Andre Brooks followed by a nine minute hat trick from Will Osula. The final against Birmingham City, a week later again at Bramall Lane, was a different affair. The Blades were simply outplayed on the day and ended up losing 2-0.

Del Geary’s u18s, who had missed out on a potential crack at the playoffs when sat in second place as the 2019/2020 season was cancelled, played out a season of three parts. They set off in great form, winning five of their first six games. But then just one win in the next seven really knocked them off the pace at the top of the table. However, they finished strongly, taking the battle for second place to the last day with six consecutive league wins, but just missed out.

The Blades also entered the FA Youth Cup, a competition in its 69th year. Entry is based on first team status and so we were given a bye to the third round where we were drawn away against fellow Category 2 academy, Charlton Athletic. The game was initially scheduled for mid January but the winter COVID wave led to the competition being suspended for two months. When we finally played the tie, the Blades won 2-0 in a game played at Princes Park, the home of Dartford Town. The fourth round saw us drawn away again, this time against Category 3 academy Peterborough United. Under pressure from the FA to complete the ties quickly, Posh were unable to host it and so agreed to a switch to Bramall Lane. Another 2-0 win saw the Blades through to the last 16 and a home tie against Category 2 academy, Bristol City. This time the Blades won 3-1 at Bramall Lane and advanced to the quarter final stage for the first time since they reached the final in 2011, with a tie against Category 2 academy, Ipswich Town. An eventful evening started with the team stuck in traffic on the way to Portman Road leading to a delayed kick-off. Then two lengthy injuries added 16 minutes to the first half and then 14 minutes to the second. The Blades never really got going but somehow came back from 1-0 down to go 2-1 up only for Ipswich to equalise in the 11th minute of second half stoppage time and eventually win the game in the last minute of extra time. Heartbreak for the young Blades.

Above thanks to @goodpinch

---

There are some younger players who may move on this summer namely Eastwood, Graham, Slater and Smith – all who are 20-22 now and not made much impact even on loan at lower league/non league clubs albeit Smith and Slater did ok a times. We do have a fair few who are pushing through and at the same time and hopefully one or two may make it – maybe some need loans next season and the rigours of professional football before they are considered for our first team.

As I say quite a number moved between u16-u18-u23 action so a number are interchangeable.

For where I have given stats and for each of the competitions (u23 PDL, u18 PDL and FA Youth Cup) by each player there is a reference below.

Apps (appearances - set out as starting appearances, appearances from the bench and non-appearances as an unused sub

Mins

Gls (goals scored)

There is a breakdown of the full stats for the u23’s and u18’s (in tables below for an easy comparison) just before each section.

U21 (or older) – Inclusive of some younger in terms of those who have been on loan or have been involved for the first team squads

Loan players – ended season with other clubs

Norrington-Davies, Rhys

Contract: Pro until end of 23/24 / Aged 21

Notes: Spent the season on loan with Luton and then Stoke. Made several appearances for Wales u21 and now in the full Wales squad and has made appearances for the first team.

See main article on first team players for analysis

Smith, Tyler

Contract: Pro until end of 20/21 /Aged 22

Notes: Spent season on loan at Swindon Town

Slater, Regan

Contract: Pro until end of 20/21 – with one year option? / Aged 21

Notes: Spent season on loan at Hull City

Broadbent, George

Contract: Pro contract extended this season – length unknown / Aged 20

u23 PDL: Apps 11-0-0 Mins 980 Gls 4

Notes: Loaned to Beerschot in Belgium.

Broadbent, who came from Man Utd a few years ago, had played regularly for the u23 team during the last campaign and went on loan to Curzon Ashton. He returned for the 20-21 season and was playing again for the u23’s before he was sent on loan to one of our sister clubs Beerschot. Broadbent struggled for game time and had only made two sub appearances for the Belgian side.

Belehouan, Jéan Leroy

Contract: Pro contract extended this last season – length unknown / Aged 20

u23 PDL: Apps 8-0-1 Mins 662 Gls 1

Notes: Loaned to Halifax for 2nd half of the season

He came to us from Man Utd. 19 years of age and a decent athlete who has played right wing back and right centre back. Had a few injury issues and was on loan at Halifax to end the season but made little impact there seemingly and barely played but did get a serious injury and had already been given a new deal earlier in the season.

Involved in the First Team Squad during 20-21

Hackford, Antwoine

Contract: Unknown – 1st year scholar / Age 17

u23 PDL: Apps 14-5-0 Mins 1117 Gls 3

u18 PDL: Apps 5-1-0 Mins 425 Gls 4

YC: Apps 3-1-0 Mins 274 Gls 1

Notes: Represented England u17

From Arbourthorne and attending Springs Academy; Hackford grew up not far from Bramall Lane. It seemed for a few years this lad was talked up as being the next best thing off the conveyor belt and Wilder certainly saw the potential others did taking him on tour to Scotland with the senior squad this pre-season. He got some game time too at just 16. He returned to the u18’s/u23’s but the fact he was playing even at the latter level at 16 said how much he was thought of. He ended up back around the first team and a combination of injuries and poor form meant he was on the bench for a few games and even came on once at Palace. Decent partnership with Jebbison but maybe the latter impressed more as the season ended and he was not even a regular in either young side.

Ndiaye, Iliman

Contract: Pro until end 21/22 but with one year option? / Age 21

u23 PDL: Apps 17-0-0 Mins 1407 Gls 10

Notes: Ndiaye, a French born midfielder has suddenly come into the first team reckoning in recent months. After trialling from Boreham Wood in January 2019 returned to trial again during pre and early season. Signed in September of 2019. He was then loaned to Hyde United for the second half of the season of the 19/20 season.

He came back and really impressed in the u23’s and eventually after several games where he stood out ended up being involved in the first team. He scored a number of goals and seemed to be an attacking midfielder who could create but get on the ball also. Got an injury to end the season and there are still discussions on whether he will get an extension to his current deal.

Maguire, Francis (Frankie)

Contract: Youth ends 20/21 but reviewed end 20/21 / Aged 17

u23 PDL: Apps 12-9-3 Mins 1160 Gls 1

u18 PDL: Apps 9-0-0 Mins 798 Gls 1

YC: Apps 4-0-0 Mins 390 Gls 0

Notes: Played in every u18 game in 19/20 and then had moved up to the u23’s.

Born in Worksop he has been with United since he was 8 years old. A midfield player who gets up and down and has an eye for goal, he began the season with the u18’s but quickly played as many games with the next level up and has split games between the two sides. He is another that has clearly impressed and ended up being around the first team and has made the squad and been on the bench for a handful of games. Good ball player who likes to take free kicks.

Brunt, Zak

Contract: Pro contract extended this last season – length unknown / Aged 20

u23 PDL: Apps 22-2-0 Mins 1962 Gls 9

Notes: Broke through into u23 team involved in almost half of games and played in more than half of u18 games.

Brunt was a player that drew a lot of media interest as he had played or a number of clubs as a young protégé but then was stuck at Derby until he ended up getting out of his Academy contract to sign for Matlock. United brought him in and he seems to have slowly re enhanced his reputation to the point where he was a regular for the u23s and also trained a bit with the first team last season. He then ended up on the bench a fair bit this season and was seen as one of those that impressed the first team management both Wilder and Heckingbottom.

Gordon, Kyron

Contract: Pro until end 21/22 / Aged 18

u23 PDL: Apps 25-0-1 Mins 2250 Gls 2

Notes: Played around half of u23 games and several u18 games.

Younger brother of Tyler Smith, has been promising whenever I have seen him for the u23’s. He is still only 18. Central defender who likes to come out with the ball and a good athlete with pace. Been a regular for the u23’s and was linked with both Everton and Liverpool earlier this season and then with the Manchester clubs around April time. Another who had made the bench a few times for the first team and towards the end of the season was there more than anyone else. United had tied him up to a longer deal a bit back but may want to look at that again as he is out of contract at the end of next season. I do think he will need a few months on loan next season before he is considered for the first team anywhere really.

Jebbison, Daniel

Contract: Pro contract just given – length unknown / Aged 17

u23 PDL: Apps 9-6-0 Mins 955 Gls 7

u18 PDL: Apps 5-0-0 Mins 403 Gls 2

YC: Apps 4-0-0 Mins 360 Gls 4

England u18: Apps 1-0-0 Gls 0

Notes: Started at the ANB futbol academy in Canada and relocated to the UK in 2017. Represented England u18’s – now called up to England u18’s

Played majority of u18 games scoring plenty of goals the previous season but has played as much for the u23’s this campaign and has steadily moved up the levels. A 6’5’’ striker he has pace and athleticism and his partnership with Hackford has caught the eye. He scored in many of the Youth Cup games which I saw some of. He looked raw but worked hard and had a bit of Brian Deane about him in his gangly, athletic but marauding style. He might have moved past Hackford in the games I have seen in terms of development and is a year older of course. He then got some action at the end of the season for the first team and did really well.

Seriki, Oluwafemi

Contract: Pro contract just given – length unknown / Aged 18

u23 PDL: Apps 24-0-0 Mins 2026 Gls 4

u18 PDL: Apps 4-0-0 Mins 315 Gls 0

Notes: Signed after Bury were expelled from the EFL. Played a handful of u23 and u18 games.

Seriki has impressed for both the u18s and u23’s. A tall rangy right back who is a good athlete who likes to get up and down – might be more adept to a wing back role as he likes to get forward and get in the box and has scored a few goals and was always seemingly involved in our attacks with some fine assists as well. He came on briefly at Newcastle in the final away game. One to look out for definitely!

Boyes, Harry

Contract: 21-22/ Aged 19

Spent the first half of the season in the National League North on loan at Bradford (Park Avenue). Has made the bench in the Premier League.

u23 PDL: Apps 17-0-2 Mins 1510 Gls 3

Notes: Involved in the first team pre-season 19-20 including a substitute appearance at Chesterfield. Played in majority of u23 games and spent some time at Bradford Park Avenue on loan this season.

Harry Boyes is another been with the club for a few years since he came from Man City. He was on loan in non-league and scored a good goal for Bradford Park Avenue but this was National League North level so a fair drop down the pyramid. He came back to the u23’s. Think he was a left wing back whenever I have seen him. He seems to have a nice left foot and gets up and down/suiting our system. He did get on the bench for the Newcastle game.

Osula, William

Contract: Youth ends 20/21 but reviewed end 20/21

u23 PDL: Apps 4-3-0 Mins 437 Gls 5

u18 PDL: Apps 7-8-0 Mins 775 Gls 7

YC: Apps 1-2-1 Mins 132 Gls 1

Notes: Broke into u18 team in 19-20 and also was involved with the u23’s that season.

Danish player apparently who won a talent contest at Man Utd. He has not played much for either the u18’s or the u23’s this season but did have a late run in both sides and scored a few for the u23’s and looks big and strong. Scored a 9-minute hat trick v Ipswich in the play-off semi-final for the u23’s. Got on the bench for the last 1st team game of the season against Burnley.

U23’s / Others from U23 squad (mainly u23’s but many have represented U18/16 also)

Goalscorers

Appearances

Graham, Samuel

Contract: Pro until end 21/22 / Aged 20

u23 PDL: Apps 12-0-0 Mins 1007 Gls 1

Notes: Loaned to Notts County again this season but returned after Xmas.

Graham is the son of famous boxer, Herol ‘Bomber’ Graham. He is a big lad who plays centre back and had been rumoured to be on Everton’s radar a few years ago. He was on loan at Halifax and Oldham but he earned mixed reviews before going to play in Australia a few years ago. Last season he went to Notts County but once again made some errors. He then got a really serious injury, rupturing his Achilles and his spell was curtailed at Meadow Lane but he returned this season but again was not a regular and ended up back with the u23’s. One that has maybe not pushed on. He has another year I believe but needs to push on now when you see the others above him – all younger that have gone above him now.

Amissah, Jordan

Contract: Pro contract just given – length unknown / Aged 19

u23 PDL: Apps 19-0-8 Mins 1710 Gls 0

Notes: Involved in almost all u23 games, half between the sticks and half on the bench.

Had been at Borussia Dortmund and Schalke as a youngster -huge goalkeeper who is still only 19. He has German citizenship I believe but is Ghanaian. Hard as a keeper as we have Dewhurst and Eastwood (when not on loan) and then Verrips has played some u23 games too – but this season he played more games than Dewhurst at u23 level with his rival going out on loan. Whenever I have seen him, he looks huge but always seems to have a mistake in him. Maybe harsh as I only see snippets and goals that go in against him and the fact he has been given a contract bodes well.

Lopata, Kacper

Contract: 2022-23 / Aged 19

u23 PDL: Apps 13-0-0 Mins 1338 Gls 1

Notes: Had been at Bristol City and Brighton and was released but the Blades picked up the centre back.

Lopata came in after Brighton let him go. He seems to have been given a 2-year contact according to most sites I have researched. He has been a mainstay of the u23 defence this season. A centre back I believe? Polish born, he said recently that he had been training with the first team before Wilder left.

Dewhurst, Marcus

Contract: 20/21 / Aged 20

u23 PDL: Apps 8-0-8 Mins 720 Gls 0

England u20: Apps 0-1-0 Gls 0

Notes: Loaned to Carlisle United for the season for the second campaign running but came back in January to our u23’s after not featuring much

Dewhurst was seen as a really good prospect and had been involved in England Youth teams and was still involved for the England u20’s even last season. He has had a few loan spells at non league and at Carlisle but did not play much and came back to the u23’s but Amissah seemed to be getting more games as he had of course been playing when Dewhurst was out of the side. He is out of contract this summer so remains to be seen if he will be offered anything. Another who has maybe not quite pushed on but hard as a keeper as only one number 1 even at lower league clubs of course.

Cappello, Angelo

Contract: 21/22 / Aged 19

u23 PDL: Apps 11-7-2 Mins 1157 Gls 1

Belize Apps: 2-0-0 Gls 0

Capped by Belize – a striker who likes to run at defenders. He has been involved with Belize in their recent World Cup qualifiers – but was maybe more well known for being part of the team being held up by armed gunmen in Haiti before one of the games! He has played a fair bit for the u23’s this last campaign.

Gaxha, Leonardo

Contract: Pro until 22/23 / Aged 19

u23 PDL: Apps 2-3-1 Mins 197 Gls 0

Notes: Could play for Ireland or Albania – indeed played for both at FA Youth level!

Striker/midfielder who hails from Kerry in Ireland. He played more in 19-20 for the u23’s and seems to have had a few injuries and this has meant he has only just started playing again.

Grant, Kamarl

Contract: 2nd year scholar

u23 PDL: Apps 1-2-3 Mins 165 Gls 0

u18 PDL: Apps 8-1-1 Mins 568 Gls 1

YC: Apps 1-0-0 Mins 90 Gls 0

Notes: Trialled from the Kinetic Academy before Christmas and then signed. Spent the first half of the season on loan in the Northern Premier League Premier Division playing for Gainsborough Trinity.

Played mainly for the u18’s. A tall defender who is competitive but can use the ball well. He has featured for the u23’s too.

Brooks, Andre

Contract: Pro contract just given – length unknown

u23 PDL: Apps 12-2-4 Mins 992 Gls 4

u18 PDL: Apps 9-1-0 Mins 809 Gls 1

YC: Apps 4-0-0 Mins 390 Gls 2

Notes: Athletic wing back who can play further up the field.

He has caught the eye in the u18 cup run and featured a fair bit for the u23’s too. Athletic player who has a fair bit of pace. Loves a celebration too with a like for the somersault/cartwheel!

Hall, Ashton

Contract: Pro until end 20/21

u23 PDL: Apps 12-0-0 Mins 1007 Gls 1

Notes: Resigned from Matlock Town in summer 2019. Spent time on loan at Guiseley.

Hall, was with United at 15, got released and then resigned for his boyhood club. A centre back who had been playing in the Evo Stik Premier League in the 19-20 season before returning to Shirecliffe. This last season split time between Guiseley and the u23’s. He is nearly 21 so is one you wonder if he will remain now.

Viggars, Ryan

Contract: Youth ends 20/21 but reviewed end 20/21 / Aged 17

u23 PDL: Apps 1-2-5 Mins 140 Gls 1

u18 PDL: Apps 7-1-1 Mins 606 Gls 2

YC: Apps 0-0-0 Mins 0 Gls 0

Wales u18: Apps 1-0-0 Gls 0

Notes: Capped by Wales u17’s this season. Spent time with Burnley u23’s and scored twice for them when he was ‘on trial’

Viggars had mainly played for the u18’s but also had a few sub appearances for the u23’s and actually scored for them as a sub. He has not played too many games even for the u18’s and maybe the likes of Jebbison, Hackford, Osula and Ayari means it was hard for him to play regularly. Burnley took him on trial which you would think was with United’s blessing but he was not signed despite scoring twice and training with them for a week. He then ended up at Charlton I believe? You feel as if United may have told him he can look for another club possibly?

Gomis, Nicksoen

Contract: Pro until end 23/24 / Aged 19

u23 PDL: Apps 18-0-2 Mins 1604 Gls 3

Notes: Has dual citizenship – France and Senegal

Gomis according to some sites still has a long contact with the Blades. He is a defender and has been a mainstay in the u23 side this past season. He scored recently in a game against QPR getting on the end of a Mousset assist and then followed it up with a goal v Wigan.

Neal, Harrison

Contract: Pro contract extended this last season – length unknown / Aged 19

u23 PDL: Apps 22-1-0 Mins 1999 Gls 0

Notes: Previously captain of the u18’s.

Neal progressed to be a regular for the u23’s this past season after impressing for the u18’s in the 19-20 season. Was the captain of the u23’s too for a number of games. Good ball player who is always neat, tidy and composed.

Williams, Tommy

Contract: Pro contract extended this last season – length unknown / Aged 18

u23 PDL: Apps 2-1-10 Mins 179 Gls 0

Notes: Defender who was given a one-year deal last year

Williams has not started much at all since moving up the u23’s as others have gone above him in the pecking order.

Ayari, Hassan

Contract: Youth ends 20/21 but reviewed end 20/21 / Aged 19

u23 PDL: Apps 3-0-5 Mins 250 Gls 2

u18 PDL: Apps 13-0-1 Mins 1192 Gls 9

YC: Apps 4-0-0 Mins 365 Gls 1

Tunisia u20: Apps 6-3-0 Gls 1

Notes: Tunisian u20 international who was born in New York

Came from TW Braga who were fined more than £8,000 for failing to properly register Ayari when he was with them a few years ago. FIFA's discipline committee found TW Braga breached their regulations in relation to the 'registration of players and the protection of minors' when signing him. TW Braga insist they were told by local football authorities in Northern Ireland that it was fine because he was travelling on a European passport. He was registered on four separate occasions with three different clubs before joining Sheffield United.

Helped Tunisia u20 qualify for the African u20 Cup of Nations and then finish fourth at the finals in Mauritania.

For the Blades he was maybe the stand out for the u18’s at least in terms of aesthetically as he scored several superb strikes and showed his skills from free kicks from the edge of the box netting a number as he led the u18’s in goals all season long. He had some game time from the u23’s mainly from the bench and scored twice for them. Did well in the FA Youth Cup run till he got sent off in the quarter final for a poor challenge. He looks like a very technical player that loves a ‘skill’ and a ‘trick’ so will clearly have to work on other aspects of his game but there is definitely some real natural talent in there.

U18 stats mainly (some may have played for u23’s also)

Appearances

Player
Starts
Subs
Goals
Beau Anderson2412
Tom Angell1610
Oliver Arblaster2801
Sam Ashton110
Hassan Ayari17111
Tyrese Bailey-Green565
Andre Brooks1313
Josh Chapman GK1405 clean sheets/conceded 22
Harvey Cullinan2513
George Dickinson030
Kamarl Grant911
Antwoine Hackford823
Henry Hampshaw GK210 clean sheets/ conceded 5
Owen Hampson120
Kurtis Havenhand240
Cal Hiddleston GK1304 clean sheets / conceded 13
Daniel Jebbison906
Will Lankshear10112
Frankie Maguire1302
Louie Marsh1721
Kanye Nesbitt110
William Osula898
Levis Pitan010
Sai Sachdev100
Femi Seriki800
Tristan Skerritt530
Ethan Slater030
Josh Smith1764
Charlie Staniland100
Ryan Viggars712
Jack Waldron920
Luther Williams2111
Theo Williams1454

Goals

Players

Note:
Twelve schoolboys have appeared as part of the u18 matchday squads this season, ten of whom have made appearances. One has even featured in the u23 starting line-up. The u16/Y11s (Schoolboys) will be looking for two year scholarships this summer.

Arblaster, Ollie

Contract: Pro contract just given – length unknown

u23 PDL: Apps 0-0-0 Mins 0 Gls 0

u18 PDL: Apps 24-1-0 Mins 2089 Gls 1

YC: Apps 4-0-0 Mins 372 Gls 0

A tough tackling Sheffield born midfielder (attended Westfield School) that has drawn rave reviews when he has played for the u18’s and been the skipper in recent times. Impressed me in some of the Youth Cup games I saw. Given a pro deal so they must see something in him.

Anderson, Beau

Contract: 1st year scholar

u23 PDL: Apps 0-0-1 Mins 0 Gls 0

u18 PDL: Apps 20-1-1 Mins 1800 Gls 2

YC: Apps 4-0-0 Mins 351 Gls 0

After Arblaster made the most appearances for the u18’s. Defender. Seemed to be a left back when I watched him.

Cullinan, Harvey

u23 PDL: Apps 0-0-2 Mins 0 Gls 0

u18 PDL: Apps 21-1-2 Mins 1887 Gls 3

Signed from Ireland's Newmarket Celtic. Defender. Dominant centre back who was good at reading the game.

Williams, Luther

u18 PDL: Apps 18-1-0 Mins 1580 Gls 1

YC: Apps 3-0-1 Mins 300 Gls 0

Defender who has been an almost ever present for the u18’s playing at centre back alongside Cullinan.

Chapman, Joshua

Contract: Youth ends 20/21 but reviewed end 20/21

u23 PDL: Apps 0-0-5 Mins 0 Gls 0

u18 PDL: Apps 14-0-0 Mins 1260 Gls 0

Goalkeeper. Played the most games in goal for the u18’s but Hiddleston also played at this level.

Smith, Josh

u23 PDL: Apps 0-1-0 Mins 11 Gls 0

u18 PDL: Apps 17-4-1 Mins 1461 Gls 4

YC: Apps 0-2-2 Mins 26 Gls 0

Midfielder. A regular this past season and scored a fair few goals from midfield too.

Angell, Thomas

Contract: 1st Year Scholar

u18 PDL: Apps 15-0-5 Mins 1403 Gls 0

YC: Apps 0-1-3 Mins 40 Gls 0

Defender.

Marsh, Louie

u18 PDL: Apps 17-1-4 Mins 1471 Gls 1

YC: Apps 0-1-2 Mins 15 Gls 0

Midfielder. Another formerly of Westfield School.

Williams, Theo

u18 PDL: Apps 14-5-2 Mins 1244 Gls 4

YC: Apps 0-0-4 Mins 0 Gls 0

Defender/Midfielder who has featured regularly for the u18’s

Hiddleston, Callum

u23 PDL: Apps 0-0-4 Mins 0 Gls 0

u18 PDL: Apps 9-0-6 Mins 906 Gls 0

Goalkeeper who has recently been preferred to Chapman in games – after the latter had played more and started as the u18 number one. Also attended Westfield School.

Skerritt, Tristin

u18 PDL: Apps 5-4-6 Mins 581 Gls 0

Defender.

Lankshear, Will

Contract: Schoolboy

u23 PDL: Apps 1-0-0 Mins 90 Gls 0

u18 PDL: Apps 10-0-0 Mins 879 Gls 11

YC: Apps 0-1-2 Mins 1 Gls 0

Striker. Came in from Arsenal on scholarship terms in early 2021. Scored a hat trick for the u18’s in only his second game and has been free scoring since arriving and was the leading scorer by the end of the season. Became the youngest player to start for the Blades u23 just a week after his 16th birthday in April.

Waldron, Jack

u18 PDL: Apps 9-2-2 Mins 813 Gls 0

YC: Apps 0-0-1 Mins 0 Gls 0

Defender. Made his debut for the u18’s as a 15-year-old this last season. Attends All Saints School. Joined up with England u16 for the April training camp.

Bailey Green, Tyrese

u18 PDL: Apps 5-7-1 Mins 472 Gls 5

Forward.

Potter, Finley

u18 PDL: Apps 0-0-0 Mins 0 Gls 0

Defender. Broke into the u18s as a u16 last season. As I understand it a bad injury in preseason has kept him out all season.

Havenhand, Curtis

u18 PDL: Apps 2-4-1 Mins 171 Gls 0

The 4th member of the u18’s from Westfield School!

Hampshaw, Henry

u18 PDL: Apps 2-2-16 Mins 275 Gls 0

YC: Apps Apps 0-0-4 Mins 0 Gls 0

Notes: Trialled from Huddersfield Town before signing in January. Unused substitute goalkeeper in a handful of u18 games. Only played once this season.

Nesbitt, Kanye

u18 PDL: Apps 1-1-1 Mins 62 Gls 0

Hampson, Owen

u18 PDL: Apps 1-2-1 Mins 129 Gls 0

Welsh youth international. Joined in early 2021 from Manchester United.

Dickinson, George

u18 PDL: Apps 0-4-1 Mins 81 Gls 0

Ashton, Sam

u18 PDL: Apps 1-1-0 Mins 91 Gls 0

Slater, Ethan

u18 PDL: Apps 0-4-10 Mins 30 Gls 0

Midfielder

Sachdev, Sai

u18 PDL: Apps 1-0-0 Mins 90 Gls 0

Defender

Pitan, Levi

u18 PDL: Apps 0-1-0 Mins 17 Gls 0

Defender

Igwenwanne, Joel

u18 PDL: Apps 0-0-1 Mins 0 Gls 0

Staniland, Charlie

u18 PDL: Apps 1-0-1 Mins 72 Gls 0

Midfielder

Faxon, Luke

u18 PDL: Apps 0-0-1 Mins 0 Gls 0

Summary

It seems that the Blades do have some players coming through and both age groups have had long seasons with great winning runs and done particularly well post Xmas as they have rarely dropped a point and the u18’s-u23’s have switched between both in the case of a fair few. Of course, I have long argued that they are not playing against respective sides at their level and even at u23/u18 we play League 1-2 sides as much as Championship. This means it is hard to see and at this stage I don’t think any are really first team ready for regular action yet. Of course, the likes of Jebbison, Seriki, Hackford, Ndiaye, Brunt, Maguire, Osula, Boyes and Gordon all have been involved in the 1st team squads but I do wonder how close any of them are to properly breaking through apart from Jebbsion? All probably need some loan time with a pro side as none have had that so far. Ndiaye, Brunt and Gordon are all 1-2 years older than Maguire and Hackford too which is worth noting. It was clear as the season went on that there were some other talents coming through with wing back Seriki, midfielder Ayari and striker Jebbison three names getting some attention and positive reviews with Jebbison, Osula and Seriki coming into the first team reckoning also and Jebbison standing out.

It is positive when you see clips from the u23’s and even some games we have been able to see in the u18 cup run that there is some good football played. Some reminds me of the stuff we used to see at first team level and some really good individual and team goals. One thing I have noticed is there is some real natural skill and also some good athletes/pace albeit at a younger level.

---

SUFC Women’s team were on an upwards trajectory but maybe have stalled a bit recent times but it is hard when only one team can get promoted and there are normally bigger clubs (at least in women’s terms) like Man Utd or Villa. This year Leicester seemed to run away with it a bit but United had a good late finish to the season and I recall one 9-0 win in a cup competition. Ended up finishing 3rd in the table but just cannot quite push on to the top division. Neil Redfearn is the manager now but the club do not really have a permanent home playing at Chesterfield still. Longer term if we develop a new Academy site maybe they can play there. It all seemed set up for them to play out of the Olympic Legacy Park but as soon as McCabe left United, then that was the end of that with his group owning that land!

Paul Mitchell
continued to head up the scouting side and was a trusted confidante of Wilder. I believe he is still there and seen no mention of him departing. He did have some time off after he had some heart issues but was been back involved. Clearly did a fantastic job in League 1 and even the Championship in helping us get the right players in, not just ability but character.

The narrow way we have recruited means we have mainly scouted UK based players and thus most of our signings have been Championship with the odd exception in younger players like Brewster and Ramsdale. It remains to be seen if Mitchell will remain. We are of course overhauling the first team management with several outgoing including the goalkeeping coach, lead fitness coach and data/analyst leaving so whether this will be sorted first. I do wonder whether Mitchell will be moved on or he would move on as he was very much tied to Wilder you sensed. However Wilder said himself if he left us, he would have to go back to bricklaying. Not exactly a ringing endorsement even if said in jest.

I said last year even after the success we had that I did think we have had to move forward and exploit the international market. I have not heard anything said that we now have more scouts or resources in this area. Van Winckel’s role is still a little unclear also. I do hope this is an area we can address as it is a major weakness in the club at the moment.

When we have had to bring in players recent times they have not really stood out as any better than what we had (yet) and value for money I am not sure we have got. I know other clubs have wasted money on players too but for United to spend 50 million last summer and 60 million the year before, you would hope one would nail down a first team spot and really make you think he can be a regular and positive most weeks. recruitment the last few years has been patchy to say the least after the great signings of Egan, Norwood and Henderson. The loan lads in the Champ gave us depth and helped us get over the line but even the some of the lads we signed from abroad did not work. Retsos, Verrips and Zivkovic did not really contribute at all and one went back early. Berge may well be sold on for a profit but he cost a lot of money. The smaller fees and potential international based players have not been found.

The recruitment I felt was nowhere near Premier League level, whether that was down the wages we pay or we are just not equipped to go out and find players from around the world who can help us. We need to find some gems though and it is not all about splashing money. That is the job of Mitchell and Van Winckel but they have not quite found the players to improve us in recent years after some fantastic work with the UK market. The bulk of our success is down to who we found 2 or 3 or 4 years ago. Of course, some of the younger lads the jury is out on, may come good.

---

SUFC Women’s team were on an upwards trajectory but maybe have stalled a bit recent times but it is hard when only one team can get promoted and there are normally bigger clubs (at least in women’s terms) like Man Utd or Villa. This year Leicester seemed to run away with it a bit but United had a good late finish to the season and I recall one 9-0 win in a cup competition. Ended up finishing 3rd in the table but just cannot quite push on to the top division. Neil Redfearn is the manager now but the club do not really have a permanent home playing at Chesterfield still. Longer term if we develop a new Academy site maybe they can play there. It all seemed set up for them to play out of the Olympic Legacy Park but as soon as McCabe left United, then that was the end of that with his group owning that land!

Paul Mitchell
continued to head up the scouting side and was a trusted confidante of Wilder. I believe he is still there and seen no mention of him departing. He did have some time off after he had some heart issues but was been back involved. Clearly did a fantastic job in League 1 and even the Championship in helping us get the right players in, not just ability but character.

The narrow way we have recruited means we have mainly scouted UK based players and thus most of our signings have been Championship with the odd exception in younger players like Brewster and Ramsdale. It remains to be seen if Mitchell will remain. We are of course overhauling the first team management with several outgoing including the goalkeeping coach, lead fitness coach and data/analyst leaving so whether this will be sorted first. I do wonder whether Mitchell will be moved on or he would move on as he was very much tied to Wilder you sensed. However Wilder said himself if he left us, he would have to go back to bricklaying. Not exactly a ringing endorsement even if said in jest.

I said last year even after the success we had that I did think we have had to move forward and exploit the international market. I have not heard anything said that we now have more scouts or resources in this area. Van Winckel’s role is still a little unclear also. I do hope this is an area we can address as it is a major weakness in the club at the moment.

When we have had to bring in players recent times they have not really stood out as any better than what we had (yet) and value for money I am not sure we have got. I know other clubs have wasted money on players too but for United to spend 50 million last summer and 60 million the year before, you would hope one would nail down a first team spot and really make you think he can be a regular and positive most weeks. recruitment the last few years has been patchy to say the least after the great signings of Egan, Norwood and Henderson. The loan lads in the Champ gave us depth and helped us get over the line but even the some of the lads we signed from abroad did not work. Retsos, Verrips and Zivkovic did not really contribute at all and one went back early. Berge may well be sold on for a profit but he cost a lot of money. The smaller fees and potential international based players have not been found.

The recruitment I felt was nowhere near Premier League level, whether that was down the wages we pay or we are just not equipped to go out and find players from around the world who can help us. We need to find some gems though and it is not all about splashing money. That is the job of Mitchell and Van Winckel but they have not quite found the players to improve us in recent years after some fantastic work with the UK market. The bulk of our success is down to who we found 2 or 3 or 4 years ago. Of course, some of the younger lads the jury is out on, may come good.

Awesome! Thank you and congratulations on such a comprehensive and informative post. 👍👍

---

Paul Mitchell

What an astonishing piece of work .

The word awesome has been much overused in recent times but is entirely appropriate in this instance .

What an astonishing piece of work .

The word awesome has been much overused in recent times but is entirely appropriate in this instance .
Certainly help you get to sleep!

Ryan Viggars has now left us and officially signed a pro deal with Charlton Athletic

Great reading so far, apart from the end result!

Thanks for the terrific effort!

Along with the podcasts this is truly a staggering bit of work. Hats off to you for this, I’d say that yourselves (Tufty club) and the guys from Blades pod are now producing content and analysis that far exceeds anything we’ve had before. Keep it up and thank you.

Back
Top Bottom