United 1 Spurs 3 - report and pod

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Pod and report….

---

After the ecstasy of finally getting a Premier League victory, United were brought back down to earth with a bump as they were soundly beaten by Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday afternoon at Bramall Lane. Spurs won for the first time at the Lane in the league since 1975 and were good value for the win. They started in rampant mood and Aurier headed home and they could have had more goals before Kane capitalised on a Norwood error to make it 2-0. McGoldrick, who was the only United player to come out with any real credit again, headed home a Fleck cross and hope was alive but almost straight away more sloppy work led to a third goal.

There was no Ben Osborn or Lys Mousset for the Blades with both out injured. Enda Stevens came back in at left wing back in an otherwise unchanged line up. George Baldock was back on a bench that only included 7 of a possible 9 he could include with no youngsters names this week to supplant those named. Jose Mourinho made three changes with Roden, Davies and Bergwjin in. Kane and Son began up top with Bale, Lamela and Moura on a strong bench. There was no place in the match day squad for Dele Ali showing the strength and depth of the Tottenham side.

Spurs came flying out of the traps and the tone was set after 45 seconds when Ramsdale sliced a back pass in the air. The visitors were pushed high up the field and Bergwjin was on the ball and fired a shot that Ramsdale had to tip over. From the corner the ball was in the net. Ramsdale stayed at home and Bogle was outmuscled by AURIER who headed home too easily. It was another headed goal from a set play with the defence looking at the keeper and Ramsdale looking at his defenders. Whoever was at fault it was way too easy.

Spurs were rampant and a simple slide rule ball from Kane to Son saw the striker in and he chipped over Ramsdale but it hit the near post. It was a huge let off. The game could have been over after 7 minutes. United had not been in the game at all and it was one way traffic with stronger and quicker players wearing Green. United did finally mount an attack on 10 but Burke’s shot was deflected wide. The corner saw Basham head back but Davies was able to head clear.

Basham gave it away and then Lundstram as the Blades could not even keep the ball. Son nearly got in again as Ampadu had to clear. The next spell saw Spurs just knock it about calmly and it was all too easily but at least Norwood had a shot that was blocked but then as Spurs broke Kane was pulled down by the midfielder who was booked. The ball went out for a corner and Ramsdale flapped away under no pressure.

Burke finally had a shot for the sluggish Blades but it was straight at Lloris. The keeper than had to make another regulation save from Fleck as finally we saw some life from the Blades. Norwood then nearly threaded McGoldrick in after this better spell.

Still, Spurs still looked the far more likely and Reguilon showed great skill to get away from two players and Son’s cross was half cleared but dropped under Ramsdale’s bar. The keeper was not convincing as he flapped the ball away as Kane challenged.

On 40 minutes, the second goal came and it was more awful defending. Ramsdale threw it out to Bogle who played it into Norwood and the midfielder’s touch was awful and he lost it. His attempt to win it back was pitiful and KANE was onto it. The midfielder shrugged off Basham easily and curled it into the bottom corner. It was a well taken goal and made to look easy but appalling play to give it away and the attempts to recover it from United was as bad.

Basham had a ball in that fell to Bogle whose shot was blocked by Dier and Rodon went down in the move with an injury but recovered. The half time whistle went soon after and it had been a comfortable 45 minutes for the away side.

The second half saw Stevens at least in the Spurs half and his cross was headed well over by Bogle. At least the wing backs were higher up the field. A better move on the next attack saw neat football with McGoldrick and Basham combining for the cross back to Stevens whose effort was blocked.

Spurs then broke from a corner United won and Bergwjin was away but Lundstram chopped him down for a yellow card. Kane took the free kick as United were half asleep and Ramsdale had to flick over the bar.

Ramsdale’s sloppy game continued when he came out to a routine through ball as Son went in and the keeper failed to gather again. Norwood once again gave the ball away and Kane advanced before curling just over the bar before United at least had an effort when Lundstram whipped one wide after good work from Fleck.

On the hour mark, United had a away back into the game. Fleck put over a lovely cross and MCGOLDRICK flicked the ball into the corner and it was 1-2 and game on!

Straight after this Spurs nearly got in and Basham was fortunate not to put through his own net as his toed clearance went just past Ramsdale’s post. United needed to stay in the game after they had got the goal but they could not do this. Amapdu got outmuscled originally on a ball through but then had it back and rolled a pass across to Norwood who lost it under little pressure and Spurs were in. The ball was sent to the far post and NDOMBELE managed to hook the ball over his head with the outside of his foot and into the far corner. It was a tremendous piece of skill and improvisation and a wonderful goal. Once again United had not helped themselves at all again.

This effectively killed the game. Egan had to clear when Ramsdale came and missed it again before Bryan came on for Norwood and Ampadu went into midfield. Brewster then came on for Burke but it seemed like Spurs were the more likely to score again. Kane was in on goal and came away from two weak challenges before it was blocked eventually and then Son had an effort deflected over the bar. Sharp came on for Basham but was caught offside and then fouled needlessly and United now looked well out of ideas and had created nothing since the third goal. Kane was nearly in again but took too long before a run down the right saw Bergwjin have a chance. Kane then fired over after working it onto his right foot before a flurry of late Spurs chances as the game entered three minutes of stoppage time. This passed without incident and Spurs eased to an easy three points as the home side looked completely despondent by the full-time whistle.

United – After the excitement of actually winning not just one but two games, I had some confidence if not hope, we could have a go today and be in the game. I knew we would have to be at it from the start but it was not the case at all today. It was back to what it had been all season where we were just miles off the opponent. The results yesterday were irrelevant but actually saw West Brom and Brighton pull further away and any hopes of an unlikely survival were probably ended but today has all but killed off these chances. There are games to play but you struggle to see more than the odd point here and there. The other teams are so much better than us almost to a team and when we play the better teams it is hard to watch as we look out of our depth individually and collectively and today, we were second best all game. We were well beaten today. Spurs were miles better. I thought 3-1 probably flattered us actually and they could have won by a lot more.

Hard to dissect in some ways as in the game they were just miles better in every aspect but the goals weirdly were bad mistakes (second and third well taken of course) and avoidable but taking away how we conceded, the actual game saw us just outplayed. I felt they may score every time the attacked, panicked every time it went near our keeper and at the other end, we never really hurt them save for maybe a 5-minute spell all game. In general football play they were much better even with the mistakes we made. People will point to us not making these errors and we had a chance but I just feel Spurs would have scored in other ways. I am not even sure they had to really get out of first or second gear to win the game. That is how easy it was. They just needed to play high up the field, press us and have a good attitude and then their superior attributes of skill, pace and power would take over.

I felt today we did not even show much fight and limped to an easy defeat. The manner of some of the chances and goals did not show a side that has stopped fighting. I felt we looked a bit spinless and like a side that just has no belief and that is odd as we had a shot in the arm in the week but started today like we had lost before we even did. After 5 minutes we had lost. On the first goal, I heard a player may have been ours (if it was ours then that is even worse) shout, ‘F****g easy boys!’ That quote summed up the game. After the second no one even remonstrated with Norwood, ditto on the third. At the point I’d take a few Villa away shoving matches. Least it would show someone is balling someone out for mistakes but for all this talk of captains all over the field, Norwood, Egan, Basham etc are all looking as spinless as each other. Not seen one man really rally the team or grab hold of the team. There is just an acceptance of the defeat and our plight. Every week.

The biggest takeaway from today is and I find it hard to type this, is at least next season we may be more on a level playing field with an opponent. Most weeks we are not at this level and if we don’t do the basics and concede goals like we did, we will lose almost every week. We may get the odd point or win v a Newcastle or a West Brom but it will be more of the same and it is hard to see this likeable set of lads just look so out of their depth. They were not last season and that makes it so odd in terms of the drop off but then it looks like we did just play out of our skin and massively over achieve. The evidence for these players over the rest oof their career suggests this season and what has gone before (Champ-Lg1-Lg2 players) is more the level they are at. No shame in that but makes it hard to watch as you know the majority of this squad and these players will never see this level again (granted a few are young and make come again).

The game began with Ramsdale’s miskick and this set the scene and tone for United’s sloppiness. They pressed us and were high up the field and we never reacted. They scored a set play goal but had other chances and it could have been 3-0 after 10 minutes. The first goal is a combination of Bogle losing his header and not doing enough and Ramsdale staying at home but they then got through us again soon after. We were so far off it and they were so on it. They were quicker to the ball and just swarmed all over us. The defence was not helped by the keeper’s indecision and jittery handling which carried on all game but we also had no midfield legs/protection and they ran through us. The second was an awful error by Norwood but then like at Palace no one reacted or covered and it was so easy. We had a go for a bit 2nd half but you always felt Spurs could up it and they did instantly and nearly scored straight away and then did - a great goal but awful play from Norwood (and Ampadu to some extent). After this it was a cakewalk and they strolled to a win and I think if they needed to, they could have scored more goal. The likes of Son, Kane, Ndombele were too quick and strong. It was like men v boys for long spells of the game. Even the smaller player they had like Hoijberg and Bergwjin still were physically too much for our lads. If they are quicker, stronger, more skilled and better in thought; then we are in trouble and so it proved.

I thought today we looked a side that knows they are down. They just had no belief that they could win individual battles or affect the game. Doing it for like 5 minutes first half for a spell and 10 minutes after the break is not enough in a 90-minute game. The odd triangle or move in a game of 90+ minutes is not enough and if we don’t do the ugly stuff like blocking off on set plays or winning tackles/blocks then we really have no chance at all.

McGoldrick had a go and was our main hope and one positive but the rest of the team to a man and department were not good enough to even come close to a decent side like Spurs. The defence pulled about all game and not quick enough or close enough. A midfield that does not press or compete and block off runs/balls and gives it away when they have it and creates little. Strikers who do not move much (Didzy aside) and are static and fixed. The two sides were poles apart and whilst tactically they got high up the field and pressed us back and had the right attitude, I do think they simply have miles better players. They have athletes and quick players. Our lads all look stuck in mud and just look like honest plodders that are not good enough for his level. Sad to see. They did so well for half to two third last season but the evidence of their careers before that and this season suggest some are just not up to this level.

The hopes of the week seem a long time ago and now we have trips to the two Manchester teams where you would think damage limitation could be sadly the main focus. Hate saying that but we are so far off these better teams and don’t even look like a game Championship team having a go in the Cup anymore. That is a damning inditement of where we are at but I am almost dreading watching the next two games. You feel the inevitable defeats that come will seal our fate.

Ratings:

Ramsdale 3/10 – Thought he was awful today in that he did not make glaring mistakes to give goals away but his whole game was a mess. He gets a couple of marks for a few standard flick away saves. Erratic and lack of command all game. The first moment he miskicked it out and this set the scene. Had to be his ball on the goal – inside the 6-yard box. Then he flapped at another corner and then was weak as he pushed away under pressure when Kane went in on him. No real chance on the 2nd goal I thought but then actually you look back and it goes in nowhere near the corner and his position is not great again. Also, he did he need to throw it out in the build-up the defence looked all at sea in front of him. He does not seem to communicate very well. Second half he came and missed an easy take on the floor and although flicked a Kane one over, he then came and failed to get there for another cross (Basham). He kicked another one badly out. No chance on the third but overall, he was shaky to say the least all game. He seems scared of physical contact and often the ball just comes out of his grasp too easy. It says something when the ball goes near him, I am more surprised when he takes a ball cleanly. The defence have not helped him and not protected him but I also think they do not know what he is doing – whether he is coming or going and seem to have no trust in him at all. He has kept just six clean sheets in 56 Premier League appearances for Bournemouth and Sheffield United combined (10.7%) - the worst ratio of any goalkeeper to play at least 50 Premier League games. The money he cost means Wilder will be reluctant to take him out but his making mistakes almost every game (often basic ones) and I think needs a rest. We are down anyway so let’s look at Verrips/Foderingham. Not sure we have anything to lose. Ramsdale will be our keeper to start next season unless his bad form goes on and on and we are tied into him for a long time. That is maybe a worry as we have paid a lot of money for him and he looks a long way off what we thought he would be or will become. He has no command, does not make big saves or even easy saves and his handling is terrible. He cannot kick either. At the moment he looks a dud sadly and I think it is more than confidence as others keep saying as he does not even do the basics well. I think if we had the time again, we would have gone for an experienced keeper (and striker) and we have effectively chucked away the best part of 40 million quid on him ad Brewster who will need a huge change over the next few seasons to even get back to the value we paid for them. Both are probably not even worth half the money we paid already.

Bogle 4.5/10 – Badly at fault on the opening goal. He got under the ball and was outmuscled. They came at us all over the field and I felt all the defence were slow and languid to react to things. He showed against quicker and better players he was slow to react. Just looked a bit much for him as they ran through us time after time. He was not the only one who struggled first half with the movement and skill. Did not win the tackles/50-50’s though when they came and just too far off his man. I felt he kept plugging away and at least had a header second half but on the third goal he is not close enough to his man (damage done long time before albeit). Do not think he was out worst player but another amongst most of the team who were just playing against better players both in mind (thought) and body. (speed/strength)

Stevens 4/10 – Another player whose quest for form continues but still a mile off it. He began the game being pegged quite far back and I also thought he was not sure whether to push on or hold back and ended up doing neither and they found little gaps between him and Ampadu. They had a number of chances with runners coming through. He was just not quick enough to spot dangers and not tight enough on his man. Second half had a spell where he got on it a bit more and at least got up the field but other than one cross not sure there was any end product. Takes an age to do basic things and has to come round in a circle to use his left foot. Just looks a long way from the player we saw before. I was surprised we did not bring Norrington Davies back but then maybe Wilder does not want him part of this debacle and a few good months with another club (where expectation bit more than Luton) at Stoke and he will come back in the summer. I do think that Norrington Davies may start next season in this position as Stevens has fell off a cliff and Lowe looks a long way short. We may have to move a few on in the area. We have 4 left wing backs and then cannot name a midfielder on the bench showing the poor recruitment and imbalance in the squad.

Basham 4.5/10 – Very sloppy defensively at times and the movement and pace seemed a bit much for all our players. He got his foot in a few times but also gave it away too and they nearly got in from one of his bad touches. He barely got in their half to begin the game and was right back in defence. He got forward with one cross near half time but this was the first time I think he got in their half and it was already 0-2. Second half we attacked more down the left when we had that spell and then I felt as they attacked, we struggled with the movement. Love Bash but even his form has dropped off and he does not have the same drive and belief he had. Even he looks like he just wants the season to end. Sad when even the talisman of the side seems now to struggle and his body language has noticeably dropped last few weeks I felt.

Ampadu 4/10 – I thought he did some ok things but quite erratic and did not carry on his form from the other week as we faced three strikers and better players. He was sloppy in possession and I thought that he got brushed off it too much. They came down that side a few times and runners came at him. Not sure we had much protection from the midfield again. First goal Bogle got out jumped and seemed his man. He was quite close too. I do think he was poor on the third, he got outmuscled with a ball over the top and then gave not a great ball to Norwood, albeit he made the error after this. After this his confidence seemed to go and he lost it again a few other times. He did a bit better in midfield and at least won some challenges but it was too late and the game was gone.

Egan 5/10 – Showed his weaknesses as Spurs movement and pace saw him leaden footed as they broke a few times to get forward. Kane constantly just ran off him and he did not react. The chance for Son came when he was caught deciding to go out or stay in. They had a number of other chances as his two partners were slow also. I do feel we had no one protecting us and a wretched performance from our keeper which does not help him. He kept going and won a few headers near the end. Bit unlucky to be booked for the foul he did but he had done 2 bad ones before so maybe for a culmination it was right. Misses Man Utd again (which he did twice last season) which makes a hard job even harder. Think like Bash even he has started to drop off and not have the same enthusiasm and drive he had – maybe it is to be expected when you know you are going down and even playing for pride is hard.

Lundstram 5/10 – Tried hard to being with and at least I saw him unlike the other two as they came at us wave after wave first 15 minutes. He gave it away under pressure but at least put himself about and I felt was our best midfielder first half of a bad three (Fleck was better the second half – again of a bad 3) and at least was on the ball a bit and tried to link a bit. Second half he began ok but then faded badly and often by the end looks completely knackered. He got booked for a clumsy pull back. Time after time other midfielders run away from our lads and they grab or hack their man down. It is pitiful but we have the slowest and weakest midfielder at this level by some way. No athleticism, pace or mobility.

Fleck 5/10 – Thought he carried on poor form first half and they just walked through our midfield easily. They just outmuscled and out run us. We looked so weak in there and they had attack after attack straight down the centre. We never gave ourselves a chance in this area of the field and did not get on the ball or make tackles. It was easy for them. Second half he improved hugely and we saw 2 or 3 driving runs forward from him and a superb assist and seemed to be more like the Fleck we knew and at least got involved but the third goal killed it of course. I think we have to persist with him and hope he finds form. We may have to move at least 2/3’rds of the midfield on. Lundstram going and not sure Norwood will remain or Berge so he may have to be the one we have to keep and hope gets back to what he was. He is so leaden footed at the moment and like others needs to get fitter somehow. We need bodies in this area and badly – not necessarily for this season although may have to now, but for next season. We look so weak and such a soft touch here.

Norwood 1.5/10 – Had a bit of a shambles really. He was at fault for two goals and was booked and got subbed. I give him a 1.5 as he actually did put a few ok passes in – one to McGoldrick and another to Burke then led to half chances but outside of that I am struggling. He constantly kept giving it away. It was all game really in key areas. Booked after he lost it from a shot and then could not run back. He then made a terrible error losing the ball and with a meek attempt to recover it after when Kane scored – watching him run is like he is mud. Kane with the ball looked like Michael Johnson (the 400m runner not the former Derby defender) compared to Norwood. He then gave it away second half and Kane had a shot wide. Finally, he did not move to the Ampadu ball and lost it and they scored the killer goal. He went off soon after. He looks so sluggish and slow. His legs have completely gone. Maybe he might be ok next season in the Championship but him and Fleck are not even 30 yet but both seem to have lost their legs – even last week v League One strugglers, they looked slow. It is worrying and not sure what you do with him. People may say we look better with him in the team but that’s only because we have no one else and Ampadu has been no better in midfield. Norwood was ok in the week but any time we play athletes and quicker/stronger players (most teams at this level) he looks way out of his depth. I think tough choices need to be made with likes of him and Stevens (and possibly Fleck) in the summer. Sometimes players natural shelf life comes too an end and you have to evolve. They have been fantastic for us and maybe things have just gone stale but not sure I would be shocked if Norwood is one who is moved on. If he does well in the Championship again then what if we went up – we’d have to dump him as he is not good enough for this level?

McGoldrick 7/10 – Our best player once again and by some way. He was decent and the one Blades player who could go away and think he did alright. At times he made the wrong choices or took too long but he was probably frustrated at the lack of movement and support from the midfield our wing backs. He kept having to come deep to get it as the front two had no service but then by getting it we then only had one striker up top. Felt sorry for him as he was the only one who vision and skill wise looked comparable to Spurs. Every other player in our side there was a huge drop off in football brain, power and ability. He has been the one shining light for me this season. Baldock started ok and Basham has been good till the last few weeks. Egan maybe done ok in spells but even those 3 all been worse than last season. Didzy is our player of the year by some way. He is the only one outside of the Bogle goal (own goal?) and McBurnie header to score for us from open play. Got 5 goals (6 including the Cup). I think next season him, McBurnie and Brewster will be the 3 that are the main strikers we rely on. We may see bits of Burke and Sharp but I expect Mousset to move on.

Burke 5.5/10 – Bit headless chicken today but still one of our better players. Says it all. He had little service really and other than one or two balls down the side where he had a shot blocked and then another at the keeper – not sure he had much at all as they dominated. He did keep trying to run across the front line early on but when the ball stopped coming, even his movement stopped and we saw the lack of movement of our players (not just him) compared to the Spurs players. They had midfielders who helped Kane and Son etc where as our midfield other than Lunny a bit never got up the field at all. There was a huge chasm between the midfield and defence. Also, when he got it, he was often so deep and in his own half not sure what he was meant to do. He faded quite a bit as the game went on but we were chasing the game then and he was taken off for Brewster. We currently have a Championship performing attack with maybe a League One attack and Championship defence.

Subs –

Bryan – Ended up left centre back but it all looked a bit much for him with movement and pace of better players. Fortunately Spurs had kind of declared at that point. Lumped it forward a few times. It shows how bad we have got that a player that did not stand out in a relegated League One Bolton side is now playing against likes of Kane and Son. Robinson seems completely out of favour again (unless he is injured). I think if O’Connell is back in late Feb/March, he won’t waste money on a defender here now. There is no point. Bryan is out of contact at the end of the season and do not expect him to be here come next season.

Brewster – The game had gone when he came on. Not sure he did much at all. A few lay offs but nothing I recall in 20 minutes of action. He does struggle to get into games or make an impact generally although had done ok in the week but today versus strong defenders just got harried out of it albeit with no service again.

Sharp – Got caught offside when he had ages to see the ball which was his first action so inexcusable really. Then stuck his backside into a few defenders leading to a few free kicks. Not sure he did much right when he came on but as I say we were chasing it then.

Manager Wilder 3/10 – We were not ready to start the game at all. He said it was self-inflicted and he was right in terms of the goals but I also felt we were miles off them and as he said the start was not good enough. We did not give ourselves a chance. We are chasing the game from the off.

Spurs started the game strongly and we never reacted at all. They were all over us and deservedly led. It could have been over after 7 or 8 minutes. We just were not at it and lost the tackles and challenges. They came onto us and pressed us high up the field and we looked like deer in headlights. We were lucky to only go in 2-0 down. Second half we had a go and got higher up the field but then after getting back into it gave away the ball again (as we did all day) and they scored again. That was it. The players are making basic mistakes and again giving it away a lot. Some will talk about formation and how they negated the way we play but not sure it was that complicated. I just think they wanted it more and as a result won battles and had more of the ball.

They have better players so if they win all the loose stuff and play higher up the field, chances will come and goals will result. Still for all that the goals were errors. Yet, I think away from the mistakes and the way we conceded they could have got goals at any point. He tried to change it but it was too little, too late. I am not sure even if we had scored to make it 2-2, we would have got anything and feel they would have just gone and scored another few goals. Spurs won easily. They were better and are better. It sounds simplistic but it is. Still, I do think we sat off and gave them too much respect and the way we started the game set the scene for an easy afternoon and win. I thought we might have a real go today after the week but it was just like most of the rest of the season with a timid, thoughtless performance where we looked a long way from being close to competing at this level.

I do worry what will happen if we lose another 5 or 6 on the bounce as the questions will start again over his future. Surely now he has to change the formation and have something different for next season – he needs to change our tactical approach. Teams sadly have our measure. Maybe they wont in the Championship but say we come up, then what? We go with the same system/approach again. Not sure at the moment the players even belief in what they are doing will win us games or even keep us competitive. So if they are individually not good enough we need an edge in tactics, shape, set up but we don’t even have any of that. We are relying on fight and battle but if you are weaker, smaller and slower and don’t even have any of those over your opponent, then we are beaten before we start.

Tottenham – As Wilder said came out with a good attitude and the opposite to last year with them winning the battle and pressing us and being high up the field. They were ruthless to start with and got the goal and maybe could have had a few more. They dropped off a bit but were never really threatened at all and then got a second after a mistake. They won’t have been happy with the start to the second half but then upped it again after conceding and could have scored more with better finishing/decisions in the final third. I felt it was easy for them. They rolled their sleeves up and knew midfield wise they could overrun and overpower us but also had the pace and movement all over the field (not just attack) to hurt us. Having 2/3 up top pinned us up the field and the full backs got high up and were more effective than our wing backs.

They have some really physical athletes to compliment the skill and the fact likes of Bale, Lamela, Sanchez, Sissoko and Moura on the bench sums up the strength of the side. They have goals all over the field really and the only concern is the defence but today Rodon and Dier had little to play against really.

The title race is wide open. I do expect Liverpool and City to move away from Spurs and Man Utd (and Leicester) but they do have a deep squad and thus with injuries/COVID-19 etc could cope better than the others. I expect them to finish 4th probably if I had to say but Mourinho tactically can get results against some of the better teams. They have to do what they did today against some of the other poorer sides and not drop points (like Fulham last week) when they expect to win them.

Opponent Man of the Match – Won maybe 10-11 battles today where they were better. I thought that Ndomble and Son were threats and the midfield lads Hoijberg and Bergwjin were able to control things also. I actually thought the lad Reguilon looked fantastic when going forward and showed some super skill and forward running. Davies caused problems down the other side too. However, Kane makes them tick and was excellent. The goal was only a half chance but he ran the game as a striker coming deep and getting on it. He is like two players at times. So strong and deceptively good when running with the ball and can get a shot away from nothing. A fantastic centre forward who is light years away from anything we have. Norwood might have been one of their better players. Ouch.

Opponent Weak link – Keeper had a few basic saves outside the goal but little to do. I thought that we did not pressure the defence. Dier made a few mistakes we could not capitalise on but overall, they were not really threatened. Son maybe despite being a threat fluffed two good chances but that’s really fishing for a weak link as he was still miles better than any of our players as a threat.

Referee/Officials - Easy game to ref. Our fouls were not even bad – they were just desperate and clumsy as a number of United players lunged at players who got away or grabbed them. Egan could have been booked long before he was (and that was soft) but the Norwood/Lundstram/Ampadu were just players who got beat and did not have the legs to get back. Spurs had no one booked and not sure a team would when we never run or commit a tackle and play it so safe all the time. The only indiscretion was another foul throw from a Spurs player first half that somehow was not given!

Coverage -. For the first time I have heard it two pundits went in on us and Keane called us awful and one of the worst sides he had ever seen at this level. Souness branded us pathetic discussing the second goal and he was right. It was laughable how we conceded and those two goals are not even about ability really. You could not disagree and it was not nice to hear but I could not even offer an argument. The Michael Dawson (like being Spurs TV) segment where he was a pitchside reporter was awful and he kept saying the same thing over and over again. You could hear the commentator trying to move him on. Odd feature and one that was a bit embarrassing. If you have a man near the Spurs bench reporting, then have someone doing the same from a Blades perspective. Sure, we were terrible and well beaten but it felt like an England game on TV where only the home country is discussed and the other side is like an inconvenience.

Forgot to say. Lee Hendrie is an annoying twat. He represented us with dishonour for around a year and tossed it off doing nothing at all and now I have to listen to him discussing us with no particularly interesting angle or analysis all with an irritating accent (every offence to Brummie out there).

Good report as always, so what do CW do with the remaining games. Build for the championship, bring on some youth, or stay with the current lads completely out of any confidence. No easy task beeing relegated with half the season remaining.

A brilliant read as always, and (sadly) incredibly accurate and reflects how I also feel entirely. It's sad to watch something so good and a collective of players who gave us so much joy come to such an abrupt and whimpered ending.

Forgot to say. Lee Hendrie is an annoying twat. He represented us with dishonour for around a year and tossed it off doing nothing at all and now I have to listen to him discussing us with no particularly interesting angle or analysis all with an irritating accent (every offence to Brummie out there).
He makes really weird vocabulary errors too. He wonders down these dead-end sentences, then can’t go anywhere. At one point he started to imply that we were really dangerous going forward, but then had to stop himself and pretend he was actually talking about Tottenham.

Good report DB, that was a tough watch. Second best everywhere. Only Didz with pride intact. I agree that we do look so weak small and slow, apart from Burke and Didz.

Norwood should have been taken off after the first, on another planet today. Deserved nothing and got nothing.

Good report as always, maybe the players are sluggish could it be illness who knows

Great report as always. Thanks. It can't have been easy. I agree with everything except that you might have overmarked Norwood a little.

Good report.

Second time I listened to the podcast and really enjoyed it. Is there somewhere I need to follow to take you guys a step closer to getting some cash for it?

My own concern with Wilder is that his managerial pride gets in the way.

As you say, DB, this season is gone. If we do go spending on short term fixes to give the players 'a lift' then this is just good money after bad if they are not players who will be part of the team permanently next season.

I don't want him throwing his toys around. We have to be reasonable. We are in a global pandemic and in a league requiring monies to be spent at a level we've never seen before just to compete.

We've spent them. And for this preseason at least, we've used those monies and certainly in the short term we've made a mess of it.

I mentioned it on another thread, it's been so bad, If offered, I'd take the whole 120m back in one lump sum and finish the season with the team that ended the 18/19 season. Honestly, out of the PL signings, who would you keep if offered your money back?

We'd be no less effective with the 18/19 team though obviously I would need another loan keeper instead of Hendo. I'd have even taken Blackman on loan, who is at Rotherham, rather than Ramsdale. At least as a colossus he'd take things in the air. (I'd have gone for Etheridge if we are spending money).

Why did we even get Lowe? We have a succession line of Stevens, Osborn, Norrington-Davies, Boyes already in place not to mention Bryan and Robinson could also play there. All he does now is make the position congested.

Wilder can still be the solution but he's also got to be admitting inwardly at least that he has been part of the problem with the recruitment.

Great report DB, I enjoy reading these and have just started listening to the pod which is always a good listen (bar the strange sound levels lol).

Not much to disagree with on the above really, but I do feel the form of previous key players is really the killer this season.

It’s obvious that in CW’s eyes Fleck, Lunny, Stevens, Baldock and Egan and Bash to an extent were going to make up the spine of the team, so with them underperforming massively then the depth players are being expected to exceed their last season levels.

I don’t believe Norwood was in the picture as a starter with Berge, he’s nowhere near we we need to be so we’re trying to get by on scraps.

The fact that we can’t name a full bench too shows our depth isn’t there and the injuries are killing us. It’s no excuse for another lacklustre performance, but it certainly doesn’t help.

Hoepfully we can limp to 12 points from somewhere, but tbh we deserve the lowest points record atm.

Good report.

Second time I listened to the podcast and really enjoyed it. Is there somewhere I need to follow to take you guys a step closer to getting some cash for it?

My own concern with Wilder is that his managerial pride gets in the way.

As you say, DB, this season is gone. If we do go spending on short term fixes to give the players 'a lift' then this is just good money after bad if they are not players who will be part of the team permanently next season.

I don't want him throwing his toys around. We have to be reasonable. We are in a global pandemic and in a league requiring monies to be spent at a level we've never seen before just to compete.

We've spent them. And for this preseason at least, we've used those monies and certainly in the short term we've made a mess of it.

I mentioned it on another thread, it's been so bad, If offered, I'd take the whole 120m back in one lump sum and finish the season with the team that ended the 18/19 season. Honestly, out of the PL signings, who would you keep if offered your money back?

We'd be no less effective with the 18/19 team though obviously I would need another loan keeper instead of Hendo. I'd have even taken Blackman on loan, who is at Rotherham, rather than Ramsdale. At least as a colossus he'd take things in the air. (I'd have gone for Etheridge if we are spending money).

Why did we even get Lowe? We have a succession line of Stevens, Osborn, Norrington-Davies, Boyes already in place not to mention Bryan and Robinson could also play there. All he does now is make the position congested.

Wilder can still be the solution but he's also got to be admitting inwardly at least that he has been part of the problem with the recruitment.

Regarding the pod, cheers for the kind words. I don’t think there’s any danger of ever making any money off it, but you can follow us on Twitter or the podcast service of your choice: https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/tufty-club-podcast.84462/

Sure, we were terrible and well beaten but it felt like an England game on TV where only the home country is discussed and the other side is like an inconvenience.

Been same on MOTD for last few weeks.

Our top scorer is someone who could not score for a long period of last season. I think that just sums up everything including spend, performance etc.

Its so sad.

Wow, That is a sad indictment of where we are, thanks for the report as always a good read.

Is it only me that thought our build up play at times was actually quite descent ?

Ramm'y gets the blame for everything it's getting boring now - he isn't as bad as many make out!
he is playing behind an awful defence - he must wonder where the ball is going to land next, OK he needs to improve in many areas but he is still young and isn't as bad as people on here make out.

To be fair we were up against a team that has everything, power, pace, ability, skill, the gap between us and many other teams in the Prem' is huge, the top six or (maybe) eight teams are way ahead of mere mortals like us and probably always will be.

As for our team we have to offload half of them, Norwood needs to go just for the attitude he showed yesterday, he was shocking if i was CW i wouldn't pick him again - and i don't often think so badly of anyone, if you are at work and are trying then you can be taught but if you lack any sort of attitude to your work then it's P45 time!
As for the likes of Bogle et-al, they are young and will learn, they will wake this morning and know they were "turned over"
they now understand what being a Premier league player means - most will improve - others won't make it at that level.

I think CW will leave by "mutual consent" when the season ends, it seems clear that there is a bit unrest between him and the "powers that be"
The thing i worry about if he stays is that he will stick by the likes of Norwood, Stevens etc in the Championship, if we are good enough (and it's a big if!) to get promotions at the first attempt then he will say"these players got us here and they deserve a chance to play in the Premier league" - we need a clear out! - I am great believer in "familiarity breads contempt" i fear that is happening, I think a manager needs to turn over his squad regularly to keep thing fresh and before the players take advantage and
get rid of him!

THE BLOODY SYSTEM! - I don't get this "change the system" lark, most teams play with overlapping defenders, McGuire (Man' U) is always coming out from the back and hovers around the eighteen yard box teams attack as team these days and defend as a team, there is no "unique" system!
Having said that i prefer to see a "false nine" that way you never have a Billly Sharp type player who just hovers around the box and offers not much else, if you watched Brewster against Newcastle he as obviously been told to drop back a bit and help out in the build, who ever arrives in the box first is the one that is expected to be able to put the ball into the net whether they are a recognised forward or a defender - it doesn't matte who scores the goals but everybody in the team should haver that ability,
the ability to get forward and get back, it's now a team game not a "i'm a centre forward so my job is to wait 'till the ball comes to me" - those days are gone - attack as a team - defend as a team!

Anyway a great effort DB and for me it's the best "debating" thread on the board without people getting personal, well done.

I hated the badge kissing mercenary and I struggle to believe there aren't some better retired plays out there, who can actually string a sentence together.
For me, he summed up everything that was wrong under Mogadon Man. Tired overpaid hasbeens, turning up only for the money (Beattie apart).

Thanks for the report, but as ever, I though a couple of your marks were very stingy.
I thought Egan was more like a 6 as he was the only one putting his body on the line and defending everything as best he could.
Similarly Fleck is not the player we used to see, but there has been improvement in the last couple of games. He won tackles and made a couple of decent runs, trying to get us going forward, so again another 6.

The Michael Dawson (like being Spurs TV) segment where he was a pitchside reporter was awful and he kept saying the same thing over and over again. You could hear the commentator trying to move him on.
The only thing I would add is that Dawson said it had been a very comfortable afternoon for Spurs. Ffs when did we let this happen? However poor we've been over my lifetime we have at least got stuck in when inferior and made the opposition work for it. It's very disappointing that we are being rolled over without any fight.

The only thing I would add is that Dawson said it had been a very comfortable afternoon for Spurs. Ffs when did we let this happen? However poor we've been over my lifetime we have at least got stuck in when inferior and made the opposition work for it. It's very disappointing that we are being rolled over without any fight.
The very least the players should do is work hard, I can accept they aren’t as good as most other teams, but try and win your individual battles lads, don’t just roll over

Back
Top Bottom