United 1 Aston Villa 0 - Report and Pod

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Podcast below and Report underneath

---

After the recent run of defeats and the season threatening to peter out to the inevitable early relegation, today United showed huge fight and resolve to stun high flying Aston Villa. The 1-0 victory does not tell the full story as Wilder’s men had to play over half an hour with ten men after Jagielka was harshly sent off. The VAR team ruled he was the last man but the distance from goal and the fact another player could get across, meant just as with the John Egan sending off at Villa Park, United had been on the wrong end of a decision with Villa once again benefitting.

Still, the Blades fought terrifically hard making blocks, tackles and denying Villa too many clear-cut chances. In the end they held on and David McGoldrick’s first half goal was enough to take all three points and ensure at the very least United will not be known as the worst Premier League team in history, as they went past Derby’s 11 points.

Wilder only made one change with Rhian Brewster in for Oli McBurnie up front who dropped to the bench alongside fellow strikers Burke, Sharp and the returning Mousset. John Lundstram and Enda Stevens retained their places despite recent poor performances.

Villa were without star man Jack Grealish and opted not to bring back Ross Barkley too but the much-improved side were flying high with a solid defence and scoring threats throughout the side as they challenged for the European places the Blades had toyed with for so long last season.

It was a scrappy opening with little happening early on although El Ghazi got the better of Baldock twice down the left but United found some space down the left-hand side themselves. Poor balls from Bryan and Stevens killed any hope of building any momentum. United did have an opportunity when Lundstram found himself in a good position but chose not to shoot and his ball was rather telegraphed to Baldock and he was tackled. Villa actually broke from this and El Ghazi again caused problems as he skipped away from Jagielka but his cross was away from any of his teammates.

Villa started to have a better spell and more possession and had the best chance of the game on 10 minutes as good football saw the ball come across and Traore came inside getting away from Stevens too easy. Norwood blocked his shot but as the ball looped up, Watkins beat Jagielka to the header and it fell to McGinn with no United players reacting. The midfielder shot wide when he only had Ramsdale to beat.

Brewster was struggling to get involved in the game and his give away saw Villa break and won a corner but this was cleared. Villa won another corner but once again it came to nothing. United then attacked and McGoldrick played a delightful through ball but Baldock’s poor cross was blocked. United did win a corner and as it was recycled Stevens put a decent ball in and as Brewster jumped with Martinez, the ball dropped for McGoldrick but it was blocked out for another corner.

Villa were playing some decent stuff now and moving through the thirds and Watkins got down the left and hit a shot across the goal but Ramsdale gathered at the second attempt. Soon after the striker was in down the right and as he came into the box, Jagielka and Bryan seemed to sandwich him with the latter a little clumsy to say the least. VAR had a look after the non award on the pitch and felt that it was more a coming together and nothing was given. It was a risky challenge by the United defender although replays showed that it may have been outside the box.

El Ghazi then came away from Jagielka but his cross was taken away from Ramsdale by Bryan who kicked away when the keeper could have caught it easily. The moment of uncertainty was not punished. Jagielka gave away a free kick for a high boot but again the delivery did not cause too many issues.

On the half hour mark, the Blades who had maybe been second best so far, took the lead. McGoldrick sent a lovely diagonal ball out to Baldock who for once drove forward and tried a shot cum cross. The ball fell perfectly for the onrushing MCGOLDRICK who had carried on his run and beat the offside trap to turn in off the underside of the bar. VAR confirmed he was easily onside and the goal stood and United had their first goal for nearly 4 games!

Villa nearly hit straight back as Traore who had been dangerous coming in from the left weaved his way past several defenders on a mazy run. He left 3 or 4 in his wake and with no challenges incoming he pulled the trigger. The only thing he lacked was the finish as he shot wide. Ramsdale had given it up for good.

At the other end McGoldrick pulled his shot wide from the angle before Brewster who had been quiet won a header and then played a lovely ball before getting on Fleck’s return to try a powerful shot but Martinez fielded it. It was better from the Blades striker.

Villa looked for an opening but it became mired in midfield to end the half although McGoldrick’s poor foul and a booking that ensued, was a black mark on his otherwise excellent performance.

The second half saw Villa win a free kick as Bryan chopped down Traore and Villa moved it around and more good work from Watkins saw the ball drop and a shot seemingly goal bound from Traore saw Jagielka make an excellent block.

United had a let off when a good cross came in and Watkins met it, beating United defenders to the ball but his clipped header hit the post and came away. Ramsdale was well beaten. United scrambled the rebound clear. This let off was followed by a really controversial decision on 54 minutes as United were reduced to ten men for the second time in a season against Villa with another extremely harsh decision.

A silly foul from Brewster saw Villa knock the ball forward and eventually a ball over the top sent El Ghazi away and as he took it past Jagielka who clumsily and quite cynically brought him down. The yellow card was fairly routine. Before the free kick was taken despite no real appeals for a red card, it appeared the VAR officials had other ideas and Graham Scott (who incidentally sent off John Egan at Villa Park) instructed Robert Jones to have another look. This is a tell-tale sign that the VAR has decided he needs to overturn his decision and send off the United defender. The replays shown on the monitor were oddly not shown in full and just a freeze frame was shown. This meant it would not show referee Jones whether Bryan may have had a chance to get across or see the full incident. He overturned his decision as once again referees now seem not able to make their own decision with their own eyes and we have someone else almost dictating what they do. The foul was a full 40-45 yards from goal. It seemed an incredibly harsh overrule and did not seem a clear and obvious error but VAR once again felt the need to get involved. The experienced Blades defender trooped off, being the 2nd oldest player to ever get a red card in Premier League history.

Villa now were moving the ball about and trying to take advantage of the numerical advantage and Wilder opted to take off Brewster and bring on Burke to give another outlet up top.

Villa had a chance when the ball dropped at the far post and McGinn took a shot and it deflected off Ampadu and span over the bar in a moment similar to the 2nd goal for Liverpool on Sunday, but this time it went the right side of the goal frame from United’s point of view.

Villa made two changes with Ramsey and Nakamba being replaced by Sanson and Barkley but the Blades had a rare break when sub-Burke used his pace to get away but just ran into his man. McGoldrick committed another foul and Wilder opted not to risk losing another man and replaced him with Osborn as the Blades went with just Burke up top.

United were anxiously worrying about VAR again on 76 minutes when the ball over saw Watkins tower in the air again to head down and as it bounced, Traore had a great chance but made a mess of it and could not get enough contact on the ball and it hit Ampadu and went behind. There were some concerns over a handball but rightly this time VAR did not see anything that would justify another overturn.

McGinn had a shot blocked bravely by Norwood and then Fleck made two superb tackles. Since the red card, the spine had been brave, hard working and organised. Ampadu made a header clear and Bryan twice got into good areas to make a block and a clearance.

The final 10 minutes saw Burke again break out but with Lundstram over, the sub made a mess of it again and the chance went. Davis replaced Traore and Villa were now dominating the ball but a shocking free kick from El Ghazi saw United clear.

Ampadu and then Bryan again made clearances and Villa whilst pushing United back were running out of ideas. The game ticked on and good work from Norwood broke up another attack before with 2 minutes to go, Burke was taken off with the sub, subbed as United put on McBurnie as much for his aerial presence defensively as anything else.

The ball came across and Fleck made a timely tackle as Villa looked to turn it in and Villa won two successive corners. Ramsdale got a punch on one but another dropped and Konsa controlled superbly and smashed it towards goal. The keeper saved but could not hold and Norwood was there to help Ramsdale out to clear as Villa once again threatened to get the late leveller.

There was 6 minutes of stoppage time to be played but United continued to throw men in front of the ball and made block after block in a courageous effort. Ramsdale could not get on one late corner with Martinez up but United cleared and Norwood seemed caught between going for goal from his own half and just cleared it but did get good distance at least. Ampadu made another good block and the final whistle came and United had against the odds got all three points. It had not been a classic game or performance but United showed some real fighting qualities and organisation/spirit that at times may have been lacking this season to preserve an impressive three points and clean sheet.

United – It feels odd to win and feels nice! It just has not happened much and after the mini renaissance we had fell into the slumber we had seen most off the season but tonight I saw a really committed and heart-warming performance both individually and collectively. I do not think we were great with the ball and did not create much all game. Villa no doubt had many more chances and more of the ball and of course would when we had 10 men but I saw a lot to like about us in terms of the basics, effort, determination and just giving it everything. I was quite proud of them tonight. The spine ended the game fantastically with blocks, tackles and covering all over with the lads at the back Bryan and Amadu and Norwood and Fleck real stand outs but Ramsdale good again and McGoldrick also putting in a good performance.

Weirdly, not with the ball, but in terms of how we competed and what we did, I was prouder of us after the red card and felt everyone upped their game and we really showed loads of qualities after this. First half it was even for spells but Villa had more of the ball and more chances in the first half hour with McGinn having a great chance and a few other half moments as a few of our defenders switched off or were beaten too easily. We had a few decent bits but nothing clear and then there was the penalty appeal (I think Villa had a stronger appeal on this than the red card but it maybe was outside the box though). We then scored a good goal with McGoldrick at the heart of it. A great ball and carried on. Baldock’s may have been a shot but he at least put it in a good area which he has not been doing (earlier in the game fluffed a cross and another time just came back). McGoldrick finished it off as no one picked him up.

We had a let off as the lad Traore went on a great run although the defending was not great – almost statuesque but would have been a great goal. We got in at half time which maybe was a bit unjust as they had the best two chances outside of our goal. We were up and down with the ball and made some defensive errors but we led I suppose.

After the break we had another close scare when they hit the post. Watkins caused all sorts of problems up to the red card (did less after it!). Then the red card came. I have discussed in length below my angry thoughts so won’t go into it here. Suffice to say I did not agree! However, oddly that seemed to galvanise us. I was actually as an armchair fan not that interested in the game even when we were winning. I was watching and glad we scored (did not celebrate this as thought that will be offside as you just are trained to think like that now) but did not quite get into it. After the red card I started becoming angry and really started kicking and clearing every ball and was chuffed to bits we won. Often red cards create that kind of siege like mentality in players and fans.

The players were brilliant the final half hour with particular mentions to Ramsdale, Ampadu, Bryan, Norwood, Fleck were superb, making tackles, blocks and denying clear chances. I thought this spine was brilliant. I was saying where has this been? Where has the effort from Norwood/Fleck here been all season? So, I was in mixed minds about it all. I never thought I would be saying how well Bryan and Ampadu were playing as a partnership and we finished with a 4 at the back too! Others did their part too and the team were so gutsy to see it out. Villa actually in the end did not create that much and we had chances on the break but Burke, well less said about him (see below).

Really good to win and after watching Rotherham wallop in that late winner (how lucky were they again with the red card- awful decision – Borner seemed to kick Smith more than the other way around and the own goal!) it made it a rare good night for us in a dreadful season. A Sheffield double is always good no matter the circumstances. For us it is still too late and we are down (need to win like 8/11 games to stay up!) but at least it is a win and we have a good feeling for one night even if it is one night only! We saw the players are still behind Wilder and playing for him and each other and that is a good sign for next season.

Ratings:

Ramsdale 7.5/10 – Not at the level of Sunday but had less to do in terms of saves but another solid performance. They had a few go wide/off the post but made a save from Watkins and did well to get up and gather. Second half he was really good when they started coming at us. Made a smart save from the shot from the corner (helped to clear by Norwood) and then caught a high one, punched a high one and was generally quite commanding. He had one moment of indecision with Bryan when he cleared from him first half and missed one cross near the end in a melee of bodies but another good step in the right direction for me. Just looks more commanding and I suddenly feel more relaxed than I did when it goes near him!

Baldock 7/10 – Better game after I thought he was poor Sunday. He actually did not start the game that well and El Ghazi skinned him twice in the first few minutes. He got better after this and had a few attacking moments. Nearly got in but Lundstram played him a poor ball and then had one cross blocked when he hit the first man but then put in a shot-cum-cross for the goal of course. At least it went in a good area and counts as an assist! Second half thought he was maybe too high up on the Jags incident and that left us a bit exposed but after that thought he and the rest of the defence were inspired. He got his foot in, made tackles, stopped crosses and ended the game well.

Stevens 4/10 – Still a long way from where he was a year ago and beyond. Just looks so tentative in what he does and almost does not commit to passes, tackles and even runs forward. First half he let Traore run off him a few times and just does not tackle or get tight enough. The McGinn chance he just lets the lad run across him before the shot. Did get forward a few times but not sure many moments of note in terms of attacks came from him other than one good cross led to the Brewster aerial challenge that saw the ball blocked after. 2nd half he continued to be a bit hesitant at times to get to the ball and a few poor clearances but he did end the game better and he made 2 or 3 really good blocks and tackles to end the game. I saw him win a vital header too.

Jagielka 4/10 – Mark may seem low as he did make some really good blocks and tackles – one crucial one second half but he struggled a lot tonight. El Ghazi got away from him on the touchline and then he lost several headers to Watkins too that led to chances and then on the chance when the lad waltzed through, he just stood there and did not even try to go to the ball. The sending off is harsh as we discussed but he was so clumsy and rash and shows his lack of pace and mobility these days. Not sure what we do Saturday as have no central defender type really – maybe he goes to a 2 or puts Stevens in there and Ampadu right side and Bryan in the middle? Although heard Wilder he may play McBurnie against Danny Ings. I am not even joking. He seems to be considering it. Jags looked an old man sadly tonight at times after doing ok in recent weeks.

Amapadu 7.5/10 – Thought he started a bit ropey as they got in a few times as we were hesitant losing headers and 50/50 balls in the box but he got better and better. After the red card, he and Bryan were inspired. He made countless blocks, deflected a few over/wide and tackles aplenty. Thought he ended playing really well and showed the physical side winning things that I have criticised him for. Definitely improved this side of Xmas but the annoying mistakes have still cost us goals of course. Played really well tonight.

Bryan 8/10 –As above really. A few moments of not quite reacting first half but then he was still the better of the defenders on show and as with Ampadu he became inspired after we had 10 men. He got his foot in, denied shots coming in and headed the ball away. Quite composed and a decent footballer. Definitely showed something I did not think he had and the last few weeks he has been decent actually –and increased his levels tonight to a brave and quite commanding performance. Thought he rivalled McGoldrick for man of the match (* changed my mind from the pod!)

Lundstram 4/10 – Like Stevens, he keeps getting picked and was easily our worst midfielder. Not as bad as Sunday but again not sure I saw him quite putting in the shift I want. Even at 10 men, did not see him chasing and harrying quite as much as the other lads who were phenomenal by comparison? Maybe just me and I am singling him out. He did a few ok bits with the ball but for the most part his passing was poor (the one to Baldock first half) or he played soft passes behind or too slow to team mates. I feel like I am singling him and Stevens out but again can only call what I see. He does seem to be going through the motions but to be fair he ran about a bit more at 10 men than he had before and covered a bit more ground.

Fleck 7.5/10 – Finally we get a really good performance from both him and Norwood (well final half hour at least!) after the odd one from Norwood recently after a poor season and an improvement from Fleck in recent weeks too. Tonight, both were really good in that second half in defensive aspects. Strangely it was not really with the ball they were that fantastic which is odd. Fleck did a few ok bits first half and was busy with a few moments and links but it was after the red card I thought he upped things and his effort and work ethic was superb. He made two great tackles in a few minutes and then also threw his body on the line a few times. Got back to stop a cross and just put so much effort in.

Norwood 7.5/10 – As above. First half usual array of some decent balls with some sloppy ones and poor set plays too. He was ok but no more than a 6/10 I felt, Fleck maybe a bit more. Then after the red card he played his heart out. I saw him make runs back, blocks and tackles I did not think he had in him. He found some energy and something in his legs I thought we may never see again. He made one block when he just threw himself back and at the ball and then cleared the one off Ramsdale. Nearly scored that clearance/effort (?) at the end too. Need to see much more of this. I can live with the odd bad pass/moment if they put work in like that, chase players, tackle and do the ugly things.

McGoldrick 8/10 – Another silky-smooth showing. He drifted in and out of things and showed some lovely bits of skill. Most good things came from him first half and he had one blocked wide and another lovely ball to Baldock. He was the man we looked to in creating something. The goal was superb and all him. A great ball and then carried on with real desire to finish. Silly yellow card and then a foul and I was a bit worried and glad in a way he came off as he was tiring and did not want another yellow card. Scored against a side not of the so called big 6 which is a strange but true fact and now got 6 for the season – could he get double figures? Our player of the season for me so far. He has not been great in every game but has been our most consistent player and main threat attacking wise.

Brewster 4/10 – Not really in the game much and seemed quite stagnant. Some may argue he had little service but compare Watkins who wins headers, moves, makes runs (I know one has played more games and more experience and wages are more etc) but it was interesting to compare even if not a straight comparison. Just felt another game that passed him by somewhat. Does not impose himself on defenders at all and not close enough to McGoldrick to make things happen or link. Just seems to be waiting for things to happen. He did challenge one high ball and then later had a good 5 minutes with a lovely ball and got on the ball back and took a decent shot. He then won a header and I thought ‘Go on lad!’ but then nothing much else and he gave away a silly free kick in the lead up to the red card. He was withdrawn after the red card which was right. Not sure I can rate him much higher than 5 as he only really had that 2- or 3-minute period all game. Needs to do much more and looks a long way off being ready but we need to preserve I feel as only way he will improve. I’d start him again Saturday.

Subs –

Burke 2/10 – Wow. What a cameo. Not in a good way either! Not sure what to say. He ran through two or three times, used his pace ad then ran into someone, gave another straight to them when Lundstram was free and over and ran another one out. He was hooked as he was the only striker on and we needed some height but looked annoyed but kept giving it away. I am not convinced about him as for all his raw pace, he is so poor on the ball and makes terrible decisions and does not look a goal threat.

Osborn 6/10 – Steady-ish. Was not quite sure where he was playing – maybe as a left sided midfielder but also seemed to be another left back at times. He did ok in helping clear and cover across for others.

McBurnie – Brought on at the end as they were pumping balls into the box. Not sure he had many touches.

Manager Wilder 8/10 – Credit to him tonight. He got his team to give a big performance, manly the final half hour but they worked hard and battled and showed they really care. They were definitely playing for him of course. Nice to see him smiling after a tough few weeks. He was brave with the Burke sub (twice!) and the team all worked so hard and got an unlikely three points.

I really hope he stays. Saw his words the last few days when he said about not being sure if he would be here and wanting conversations about things and referencing the board (selling players etc). It is not great he says things so publicly and cannot impress the Prince at all. He has a history of doing this but has held all the cards before but does not have a strong hand now really although knows the majority of the fans are behind him. I just do not like this almost trying to criticise the board and creating a him v them type scenario.

We then have the likes of Jim Phipps, a close confidante of the Prince (even if not technically involved with the club) and Wit (Wilder’s best mate) throwing off barbs and comments that you worry may be closer to the opinion of their ‘men’ than you would hope. This all creates tension and adds fuel to the fire. Just all a bit messy. Wilder I love and want him to stay and lead the charge for years to come but needs to keep his counsel a bit more. People may say he should not change but if he made comments like this at a bigger club (that maybe one day he aspires to get to) he would be hauled over the coals. Just my opinion. I want him to stay but I am not this ‘he must stay at all costs and he is the club’ type person. Of course, he is fantastic and the best thing that has happened to this club for maybe 30 years since Bassett came in and turned us round completely but he needs to understand he has an owner and needs to talk to him privately and try and find a way forward. Also surprised that he said he does not know if he will be here? Surely, he is under contract. He was backed by the Prince quite publicly recently (not great how he did it either on Talksport was it?) and so unless he walks away, he will be here next year. Do not like the fact he throws ultimatums at times. That is not anti-Wilder and as I say I could list hundreds of qualities and things he has been simply fantastic with and has given us some of the best Blades years of our lives, to a small list of things I am not keen on (recruitment and stubbornness in tactics this year - two of the others)

Aston Villa – Really surprised how well they have done. I had a feeling they may not be as poor this season and of course they bought more and spent more. I am still not sure how Dean Smith is as a manager and of course one correct decision that was not made and they could have gone down and they would have sacked him I feel. Grealish is exceptional as a player. He does go to ground too much and does moan a lot but also does get fouled a lot. No shame in saying that even though it does not fit the narrative.

The defence, much like West Ham’s, has really improved. Mings is generally regarded as rubbish by many Blades but whilst he does make mistakes, I am not sure he is as bad as everyone makes out. This side is top 10 and pushing for Europa so he cannot be that bad and does have height, physicality and athleticism. He is a bit showy but does some good things and do no think he is quite the bomb scare everyone makes out. Watkins has done well and many can say we should have signed him but not sure he would have done much more than Brewster in threat and goals if he had signed for us as we do not create. He does work much harder though from the games I have seen and holds it up, runs behind and is much more rounded as a player than Brewster. Cash has done well for them also and proved a good signing as has the keeper. Yes, they pay much more wages but they have bought well and comparing the like for like who we have signed they have got much better value for signings even taking into account the wages.

They have been right around 7th-10th and had fair few wins built as much on the solid defence as the attacking players which may have been a surprised. They would have thought to have built on the Leeds win but it was a real step back today.

They did not have Grealish today and also Barkley. They had a few others on the bench that would offer creativity, pace and quality we just do not have. However, they have been doing well and the defence been excellent and Watkins and El Ghazi real threats this season and the latter come to the fore recently.

Today I thought they were poor. Smith says the ‘better side lost.’ I do not agree with this. Did we deserve to win? Maybe not and they had better chances and more chances and had the ball more than us but not sure they did enough to really hurt us. The quality in the final third was not there and Ramsdale did not have loads to do. Yes, McGinn should do better and Traore was unlucky but 2nd half how many clear chances did they have after they hit the post? Traore had another blocked and Konsa had the one save at the end but it was not chance after chance or loads of clear misses. After the red card thought they ran out of ideas and panicked a bit as Smith admitted.

They still should have had enough to break us down but did not and for that reason maybe they could have nicked a point for possession and forcing us back but not sure they were this better team Smith discussed. Seemed a bit chippy and bitter. He also failed to admit that for the third straight game they have had a huge decision go for them giving them major advantages. These are not small decisions – we have been reduced to 10 men twice for red card/professional fouls 45 yards from goal and had a goal go 3 yards over the line and not been given. They must love playing us knowing what they might get given for them! Still today they could not take advantage. Probably thought all they had to do was turn up and win but we showed some fight they maybe did not expect.

Opponent Man of the Match – El Ghazi was a real threat early on and of course involved in the red card but he also put some bad set plays on. Watkins was a nuisance, worked hard, won headers and got about the frontline. Looks a really good striker. I thought that Traore was their most dangerous player running at us and causing problems all game but did miss one good chance second half after the great run and effort first half.

Opponent Weak link – Thought the young lad Ramsey struggled first half and gave it away and was subbed and maybe the poorest player. Generally, I am not convinced El Mohamady is top level anymore. Targett also can be good at but had a better season. McGinn started the game well but I thought he faded as he often does. A good footballer but not sure he does enough consistently in games I see. Barkley and the subs did very little when they came on actually.

Referee/Officials – Robert Jones. He had a few decisions to make of course. Did not give the penalty (or free kick) on Watkins which I have seen given but may have been out of the box anyway.

The red card for Jagielka I am just shaking my head. For the third straight time Villa get an incredible decision to go for them. I thought it was a ridiculous decision. Like with the Egan one, he was a long way from goal. Yes, it is a foul and a booking but is that a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity? I am not even sure Villa were even that bothered.

Why does VAR have to get involved – he has seen that with his own eyes and is right there. Why are we now having basically another referee reffing the game? The ref on the pitch may as well not be there. This is not clear errors or things that even need looking at. It is so far from goal. Bryan may have got across. I look at Basham getting fetched down 5 yards from goal about to possibly score for the penalty and then these two we have had v Villa and I despair. It is just bonkers. It is getting worse. They seem obsessed by using VAR and justifying why it is there. I have less issue even with the daft marginal offside as at least there is an element of fact (not sure they are getting these right with when the ball is played/lines etc) but these decisions are just subjective. You are just getting another man tell another man his verdict. The refs never overturn it so why tell him to go to the monitor and have a look if they feel scared to stand by the decision? Just tell him to overturn it. We may as well have a ref in a studio pressing buttons or announcing decisions on a tannoy. I have well and truly had enough. Other countries like Germany do not seem to getting it so wrong so all those saying it is the rules not sure that is quite true (agreed handballs become confusing etc). Anyway, I cannot be bothered to discuss it anymore. It was maddening beyond belief but in an odd way kind of inspired us after this.

The rest of the game, the ref was oddly ok. Most of the other fouls were fine I thought and he rightly booked McGoldrick. He had a good game outside of that decision which was not even his decision and he got right. I felt a bit sorry for him in some ways as they are almost forced to change things. Graham Scott seems to have no idea and then you had idiots like Peter Walton and surely Dermot Gallagher will also do the same, backing their colleagues. At least BT said it was harsh. Most Villa fans thought it was a really poor decision too.

Coverage – BT Sport. Barely watched pre/post game really. Saw Joe Cole full of predictable rubbish cliches pre game. We had a guy called Rory Hamilton was it commentating? Never heard of him. He called Lundstram, Looondstram too. Chris Sutton is a bit patronising but was ok in the Man Utd game when we won. Sutton is annoying generally. Quite condescending and arrogant. Talks down to the audience. Seem delighted with himself when they brought Barkley on and he said Smith has used his ‘Barclay-card!’ I did not see much after the game I must admit but they seemed quite praiseworthy of our efforts at least.

Like the new feature.

We need to add Glynn Hodges to the coaching staff for the last set of games. Well be safe by end of April!

Didzy should henceforth be called McGoldrock on your pod all the time.

Some heroes out there tonight: so pleased with Ramsdale (another very good performance - this confidence on crosses is so nice to see) and the defence. Hats off to Fleck and Norwood for the energy they showed.

People are talking about the decisions VAR has given Villa in the previous 2 games, but of course they got a VAR penalty against us when we beat them last season. Easy to forget because Grealish missed it and it didn't hurt us (plus it was the right decision). So that's 4 presents in 4 games.

Didzy's swagger was there and he finally scored and we didn't lose. Good for him. Brewster looks like the mascot still. His movement is awful. Still, I enjoyed the absence of McBurnie.

I would like to ask Wilder :

1. Is Lundstram going backwards almost every single time what he has been ordered to do?
2. If yes, why?
3. If no, can you tell him to stop it?

Burke was rubbish and I fully support his substitution. If he doesn't like it, he can learn some basic footballing skills so he might be of some use to us.

I quite enjoy Chris Sutton doing colour commentary but I seem to be in the minority.

Big relief to pass Derby - let's have a few more wins before we slip away. It was a nervous last half hour but it's better than soporific defeats!

I see what you mean about Dean Smith.

"We threw three points away."

How?

You were never leading. In Funny Little Nigel parlance you only had one point for 30 minutes. From then onwards you were sat on 0 points and never shifted. So how did you exactly throw something away that at no point during the entire match you had?

Whatever Lundstram's starting position Revolution, I think we just need to move it by 180 degrees then he should be just fine!

For the third straight time Villa get an incredible decision to go for them.

So that's 4 presents in 4 games.

I'm still unsure how the Villa player wasn't red carded for the penalty at their place earlier this season.

Double jeopardy only applies with a genuine attempt to play the ball, and he was trying to deliberately NOT play the ball.

So that's another one in just the last 3 games...

Spot on with thoughts on Lundstram and Stevens our worst two players I'm not even going to mention Burke ooops! I just did but didn't mention his flip flops ooops! I did again. Ah well.

Spot on with thoughts on Lundstram and Stevens our worst two players I'm not even going to mention Burke ooops! I just did but didn't mention his flip flops ooops! I did again. Ah well.
Surely Lowe or Osborn deserve a run? Stevens literally looks like he has got the yips where as Lundstram looks simply not arsed

I thought Lundstram played alright. Definately not worth just a 4

Admittedly I only saw the 2nd half, but I think he put his body on the line like the rest of the midfield

Thought our display was average and quite similar to many of our other performances.
Yet another evenly contested game....we looked very ordinary but our organisation and hard work has this knack of making opposition teams look very ordinary too regards creating chances. Villa really missed Grealish and lacked quality regards chance creation.

When you have a string of close matches with few chances for either team
you expect several 1-0 wins, some 0-0 or 1-1 draws and several 0-1 defeats.

We’ve not had the run of the ball meaning we’ve had far too many 0-1 defeats.
Yesterday I suspect Baldock was trying a shot.....but McGoldrick made the run and scored a neat goal.
They hit the woodwork and Rammers pulled off some great saves.

So we were a bit lucky....which was nice to see because we’ve been unlucky too often.
Really thought we’d draw 1-1 once Jags received his red....then it would have been yet another match where we could say we were unlucky.

Thought our stand out player was McGoldrick....he shows occasional touches of PL quality.
Also agree that it’s good to see the gradual progression/ improvement of Keane Bryan.

Surely Lowe or Osborn deserve a run? Stevens literally looks like he has got the yips where as Lundstram looks simply not arsed

I missed the stats at the end but I think the half-time stats showed that Lundstram had covered more ground than anyone else on the pitch? I'm not saying he's playing well but I really don't see this lazy / not arsed thing that so many other people seem to see.

Thought our display was average and quite similar to many of our other performances.
Yet another evenly contested game....we looked very ordinary but our organisation and hard work has this knack of making opposition teams look very ordinary too regards creating chances. Villa really missed Grealish and lacked quality regards chance creation.

When you have a string of close matches with few chances for either team
you expect several 1-0 wins, some 0-0 or 1-1 draws and several 0-1 defeats.

We’ve not had the run of the ball meaning we’ve had far too many 0-1 defeats.
Yesterday I suspect Baldock was trying a shot.....but McGoldrick made the run and scored a neat goal.
They hit the woodwork and Rammers pulled off some great saves.

So we were a bit lucky....which was nice to see because we’ve been unlucky too often.
Really thought we’d draw 1-1 once Jags received his red....then it would have been yet another match where we could say we were unlucky.

Thought our stand out player was McGoldrick....he shows occasional touches of PL quality.
Also agree that it’s good to see the gradual progression/ improvement of Keane Bryan.
I think the difference is that in the games we’ve lost by the odd goal, the opposition have never really had to get out of second gear. Those games have been pretty close in that we might have luckily nicked something near the end but, the WBA loss aside, that was miles away from ever happening.

I missed the stats at the end but I think the half-time stats showed that Lundstram had covered more ground than anyone else on the pitch? I'm not saying he's playing well but I really don't see this lazy / not arsed thing that so many other people seem to see.
It’s weird with Lundstram, especially given he was the best midfielder til a month or so ago. The running etc is still there, but everything he does seems very safe or half-arsed, almost like he doesn’t want to get injured or be seen to make major mistakes. The last 5 mins or so had loads of it last night - he (almost) closed down a lot, but barely ever made a challenge or block; there was a lot of flouncing and ballet at the crucial moment. Reminds me of my own performances in most classes at school- make it look like you’re trying hard without actually doing a lot.

Ratings:

Ramsdale 7.5/10 – Not at the level of Sunday but had less to do in terms of saves but another solid performance. They had a few go wide/off the post but made a save from Watkins and did well to get up and gather. Second half he was really good when they started coming at us. Made a smart save from the shot from the corner (helped to clear by Norwood) and then caught a high one, punched a high one and was generally quite commanding. He had one moment of indecision with Bryan when he cleared from him first half and missed one cross near the end in a melee of bodies but another good step in the right direction for me. Just looks more commanding and I suddenly feel more relaxed than I did when it goes near him!

Baldock 7/10 – Better game after I thought he was poor Sunday. He actually did not start the game that well and El Ghazi skinned him twice in the first few minutes. He got better after this and had a few attacking moments. Nearly got in but Lundstram played him a poor ball and then had one cross blocked when he hit the first man but then put in a shot-cum-cross for the goal of course. At least it went in a good area and counts as an assist! Second half thought he was maybe too high up on the Jags incident and that left us a bit exposed but after that thought he and the rest of the defence were inspired. He got his foot in, made tackles, stopped crosses and ended the game well.

Stevens 4/10 – Still a long way from where he was a year ago and beyond. Just looks so tentative in what he does and almost does not commit to passes, tackles and even runs forward. First half he let Traore run off him a few times and just does not tackle or get tight enough. The McGinn chance he just lets the lad run across him before the shot. Did get forward a few times but not sure many moments of note in terms of attacks came from him other than one good cross led to the Brewster aerial challenge that saw the ball blocked after. 2nd half he continued to be a bit hesitant at times to get to the ball and a few poor clearances but he did end the game better and he made 2 or 3 really good blocks and tackles to end the game. I saw him win a vital header too.

Jagielka 4/10 – Mark may seem low as he did make some really good blocks and tackles – one crucial one second half but he struggled a lot tonight. El Ghazi got away from him on the touchline and then he lost several headers to Watkins too that led to chances and then on the chance when the lad waltzed through, he just stood there and did not even try to go to the ball. The sending off is harsh as we discussed but he was so clumsy and rash and shows his lack of pace and mobility these days. Not sure what we do Saturday as have no central defender type really – maybe he goes to a 2 or puts Stevens in there and Ampadu right side and Bryan in the middle? Although heard Wilder he may play McBurnie against Danny Ings. I am not even joking. He seems to be considering it. Jags looked an old man sadly tonight at times after doing ok in recent weeks.

Amapadu 7.5/10 – Thought he started a bit ropey as they got in a few times as we were hesitant losing headers and 50/50 balls in the box but he got better and better. After the red card, he and Bryan were inspired. He made countless blocks, deflected a few over/wide and tackles aplenty. Thought he ended playing really well and showed the physical side winning things that I have criticised him for. Definitely improved this side of Xmas but the annoying mistakes have still cost us goals of course. Played really well tonight.

Bryan 8/10 –As above really. A few moments of not quite reacting first half but then he was still the better of the defenders on show and as with Ampadu he became inspired after we had 10 men. He got his foot in, denied shots coming in and headed the ball away. Quite composed and a decent footballer. Definitely showed something I did not think he had and the last few weeks he has been decent actually –and increased his levels tonight to a brave and quite commanding performance. Thought he rivalled McGoldrick for man of the match (* changed my mind from the pod!)

Lundstram 4/10 – Like Stevens, he keeps getting picked and was easily our worst midfielder. Not as bad as Sunday but again not sure I saw him quite putting in the shift I want. Even at 10 men, did not see him chasing and harrying quite as much as the other lads who were phenomenal by comparison? Maybe just me and I am singling him out. He did a few ok bits with the ball but for the most part his passing was poor (the one to Baldock first half) or he played soft passes behind or too slow to team mates. I feel like I am singling him and Stevens out but again can only call what I see. He does seem to be going through the motions but to be fair he ran about a bit more at 10 men than he had before and covered a bit more ground.

Fleck 7.5/10 – Finally we get a really good performance from both him and Norwood (well final half hour at least!) after the odd one from Norwood recently after a poor season and an improvement from Fleck in recent weeks too. Tonight, both were really good in that second half in defensive aspects. Strangely it was not really with the ball they were that fantastic which is odd. Fleck did a few ok bits first half and was busy with a few moments and links but it was after the red card I thought he upped things and his effort and work ethic was superb. He made two great tackles in a few minutes and then also threw his body on the line a few times. Got back to stop a cross and just put so much effort in.

Norwood 7.5/10 – As above. First half usual array of some decent balls with some sloppy ones and poor set plays too. He was ok but no more than a 6/10 I felt, Fleck maybe a bit more. Then after the red card he played his heart out. I saw him make runs back, blocks and tackles I did not think he had in him. He found some energy and something in his legs I thought we may never see again. He made one block when he just threw himself back and at the ball and then cleared the one off Ramsdale. Nearly scored that clearance/effort (?) at the end too. Need to see much more of this. I can live with the odd bad pass/moment if they put work in like that, chase players, tackle and do the ugly things.

McGoldrick 8/10 – Another silky-smooth showing. He drifted in and out of things and showed some lovely bits of skill. Most good things came from him first half and he had one blocked wide and another lovely ball to Baldock. He was the man we looked to in creating something. The goal was superb and all him. A great ball and then carried on with real desire to finish. Silly yellow card and then a foul and I was a bit worried and glad in a way he came off as he was tiring and did not want another yellow card. Scored against a side not of the so called big 6 which is a strange but true fact and now got 6 for the season – could he get double figures? Our player of the season for me so far. He has not been great in every game but has been our most consistent player and main threat attacking wise.

Brewster 4/10 – Not really in the game much and seemed quite stagnant. Some may argue he had little service but compare Watkins who wins headers, moves, makes runs (I know one has played more games and more experience and wages are more etc) but it was interesting to compare even if not a straight comparison. Just felt another game that passed him by somewhat. Does not impose himself on defenders at all and not close enough to McGoldrick to make things happen or link. Just seems to be waiting for things to happen. He did challenge one high ball and then later had a good 5 minutes with a lovely ball and got on the ball back and took a decent shot. He then won a header and I thought ‘Go on lad!’ but then nothing much else and he gave away a silly free kick in the lead up to the red card. He was withdrawn after the red card which was right. Not sure I can rate him much higher than 5 as he only really had that 2- or 3-minute period all game. Needs to do much more and looks a long way off being ready but we need to preserve I feel as only way he will improve. I’d start him again Saturday.

Subs –

Burke 2/10 – Wow. What a cameo. Not in a good way either! Not sure what to say. He ran through two or three times, used his pace ad then ran into someone, gave another straight to them when Lundstram was free and over and ran another one out. He was hooked as he was the only striker on and we needed some height but looked annoyed but kept giving it away. I am not convinced about him as for all his raw pace, he is so poor on the ball and makes terrible decisions and does not look a goal threat.

Osborn 6/10 – Steady-ish. Was not quite sure where he was playing – maybe as a left sided midfielder but also seemed to be another left back at times. He did ok in helping clear and cover across for others.

McBurnie – Brought on at the end as they were pumping balls into the box. Not sure he had many touches.

Manager Wilder 8/10 – Credit to him tonight. He got his team to give a big performance, manly the final half hour but they worked hard and battled and showed they really care. They were definitely playing for him of course. Nice to see him smiling after a tough few weeks. He was brave with the Burke sub (twice!) and the team all worked so hard and got an unlikely three points.

I really hope he stays. Saw his words the last few days when he said about not being sure if he would be here and wanting conversations about things and referencing the board (selling players etc). It is not great he says things so publicly and cannot impress the Prince at all. He has a history of doing this but has held all the cards before but does not have a strong hand now really although knows the majority of the fans are behind him. I just do not like this almost trying to criticise the board and creating a him v them type scenario.

We then have the likes of Jim Phipps, a close confidante of the Prince (even if not technically involved with the club) and Wit (Wilder’s best mate) throwing off barbs and comments that you worry may be closer to the opinion of their ‘men’ than you would hope. This all creates tension and adds fuel to the fire. Just all a bit messy. Wilder I love and want him to stay and lead the charge for years to come but needs to keep his counsel a bit more. People may say he should not change but if he made comments like this at a bigger club (that maybe one day he aspires to get to) he would be hauled over the coals. Just my opinion. I want him to stay but I am not this ‘he must stay at all costs and he is the club’ type person. Of course, he is fantastic and the best thing that has happened to this club for maybe 30 years since Bassett came in and turned us round completely but he needs to understand he has an owner and needs to talk to him privately and try and find a way forward. Also surprised that he said he does not know if he will be here? Surely, he is under contract. He was backed by the Prince quite publicly recently (not great how he did it either on Talksport was it?) and so unless he walks away, he will be here next year. Do not like the fact he throws ultimatums at times. That is not anti-Wilder and as I say I could list hundreds of qualities and things he has been simply fantastic with and has given us some of the best Blades years of our lives, to a small list of things I am not keen on (recruitment and stubbornness in tactics this year - two of the others)

Aston Villa – Really surprised how well they have done. I had a feeling they may not be as poor this season and of course they bought more and spent more. I am still not sure how Dean Smith is as a manager and of course one correct decision that was not made and they could have gone down and they would have sacked him I feel. Grealish is exceptional as a player. He does go to ground too much and does moan a lot but also does get fouled a lot. No shame in saying that even though it does not fit the narrative.

The defence, much like West Ham’s, has really improved. Mings is generally regarded as rubbish by many Blades but whilst he does make mistakes, I am not sure he is as bad as everyone makes out. This side is top 10 and pushing for Europa so he cannot be that bad and does have height, physicality and athleticism. He is a bit showy but does some good things and do no think he is quite the bomb scare everyone makes out. Watkins has done well and many can say we should have signed him but not sure he would have done much more than Brewster in threat and goals if he had signed for us as we do not create. He does work much harder though from the games I have seen and holds it up, runs behind and is much more rounded as a player than Brewster. Cash has done well for them also and proved a good signing as has the keeper. Yes, they pay much more wages but they have bought well and comparing the like for like who we have signed they have got much better value for signings even taking into account the wages.

They have been right around 7th-10th and had fair few wins built as much on the solid defence as the attacking players which may have been a surprised. They would have thought to have built on the Leeds win but it was a real step back today.

They did not have Grealish today and also Barkley. They had a few others on the bench that would offer creativity, pace and quality we just do not have. However, they have been doing well and the defence been excellent and Watkins and El Ghazi real threats this season and the latter come to the fore recently.

Today I thought they were poor. Smith says the ‘better side lost.’ I do not agree with this. Did we deserve to win? Maybe not and they had better chances and more chances and had the ball more than us but not sure they did enough to really hurt us. The quality in the final third was not there and Ramsdale did not have loads to do. Yes, McGinn should do better and Traore was unlucky but 2nd half how many clear chances did they have after they hit the post? Traore had another blocked and Konsa had the one save at the end but it was not chance after chance or loads of clear misses. After the red card thought they ran out of ideas and panicked a bit as Smith admitted.

They still should have had enough to break us down but did not and for that reason maybe they could have nicked a point for possession and forcing us back but not sure they were this better team Smith discussed. Seemed a bit chippy and bitter. He also failed to admit that for the third straight game they have had a huge decision go for them giving them major advantages. These are not small decisions – we have been reduced to 10 men twice for red card/professional fouls 45 yards from goal and had a goal go 3 yards over the line and not been given. They must love playing us knowing what they might get given for them! Still today they could not take advantage. Probably thought all they had to do was turn up and win but we showed some fight they maybe did not expect.

Opponent Man of the Match – El Ghazi was a real threat early on and of course involved in the red card but he also put some bad set plays on. Watkins was a nuisance, worked hard, won headers and got about the frontline. Looks a really good striker. I thought that Traore was their most dangerous player running at us and causing problems all game but did miss one good chance second half after the great run and effort first half.

Opponent Weak link – Thought the young lad Ramsey struggled first half and gave it away and was subbed and maybe the poorest player. Generally, I am not convinced El Mohamady is top level anymore. Targett also can be good at but had a better season. McGinn started the game well but I thought he faded as he often does. A good footballer but not sure he does enough consistently in games I see. Barkley and the subs did very little when they came on actually.

Referee/Officials – Robert Jones. He had a few decisions to make of course. Did not give the penalty (or free kick) on Watkins which I have seen given but may have been out of the box anyway.

The red card for Jagielka I am just shaking my head. For the third straight time Villa get an incredible decision to go for them. I thought it was a ridiculous decision. Like with the Egan one, he was a long way from goal. Yes, it is a foul and a booking but is that a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity? I am not even sure Villa were even that bothered.

Why does VAR have to get involved – he has seen that with his own eyes and is right there. Why are we now having basically another referee reffing the game? The ref on the pitch may as well not be there. This is not clear errors or things that even need looking at. It is so far from goal. Bryan may have got across. I look at Basham getting fetched down 5 yards from goal about to possibly score for the penalty and then these two we have had v Villa and I despair. It is just bonkers. It is getting worse. They seem obsessed by using VAR and justifying why it is there. I have less issue even with the daft marginal offside as at least there is an element of fact (not sure they are getting these right with when the ball is played/lines etc) but these decisions are just subjective. You are just getting another man tell another man his verdict. The refs never overturn it so why tell him to go to the monitor and have a look if they feel scared to stand by the decision? Just tell him to overturn it. We may as well have a ref in a studio pressing buttons or announcing decisions on a tannoy. I have well and truly had enough. Other countries like Germany do not seem to getting it so wrong so all those saying it is the rules not sure that is quite true (agreed handballs become confusing etc). Anyway, I cannot be bothered to discuss it anymore. It was maddening beyond belief but in an odd way kind of inspired us after this.

The rest of the game, the ref was oddly ok. Most of the other fouls were fine I thought and he rightly booked McGoldrick. He had a good game outside of that decision which was not even his decision and he got right. I felt a bit sorry for him in some ways as they are almost forced to change things. Graham Scott seems to have no idea and then you had idiots like Peter Walton and surely Dermot Gallagher will also do the same, backing their colleagues. At least BT said it was harsh. Most Villa fans thought it was a really poor decision too.

Coverage – BT Sport. Barely watched pre/post game really. Saw Joe Cole full of predictable rubbish cliches pre game. We had a guy called Rory Hamilton was it commentating? Never heard of him. He called Lundstram, Looondstram too. Chris Sutton is a bit patronising but was ok in the Man Utd game when we won. Sutton is annoying generally. Quite condescending and arrogant. Talks down to the audience. Seem delighted with himself when they brought Barkley on and he said Smith has used his ‘Barclay-card!’ I did not see much after the game I must admit but they seemed quite praiseworthy of our efforts at least.
Just listened to the pod, it kept me entertained during a walk round Rother valley. Many thanks guys for making the effort to do these, they are much appreciated in these times when you can't discuss football in the pub or down the gym. It sounds like Deadbats reaction to Jag's red card was identical to mine with me shouting 'that's me done with f!!xx football, I'm not watching another f!!xx!ing united match again'.
I know VARs been done to death, but it really is abysmal and just ruins the game. Watching a non VAR game is like a breath of fresh air and I genuinely can't wait to watch proper football next season.
Perhaps you should add a VAR rating to your match reports, my rating for yesterday is minus 1.

The thing that pisses me off the most about VAR in the PL is that it's not the system but how they are using it.

I've watched quite a lot of CL and EL games this season and they use VAR as well but use it exactly how I'm assuming the people who invented meant for it to be used. They have a quick look with each check taking about 10-20 seconds to see if it was a clear and obvious mistake. If it isn't then on they go. None of this taking 3 or 4 minutes drawing lines to see if a players pubes are offside crap that we get.

When used like that I actually like it but the way it's being implemented in the PL is an absolute joke.

Thanks as ever for your report DB. Just out of interest, where did you hear that Wilder is considering playing McBurnie centre half?

Back
Top Bottom