Thoughts? Championship football?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not been impressed with the quality of football in the Championship this season to be honest, too much money being paid to mediocre players is most of the problem as they have no drive to make themselves any better so it won't change anytime soon.

Don't think the Prince is quite worth 18 billion!

Fleck, Duffy and Moore could play Championship football easily.

Not sure that Sharp would be a starter in anything above a Bottom six Championship team, Coutts is debatable. We may need to find quality replacements in all other areas to avoid a relegation battle if we do go up.

Going by what I can find on reliable sources. He's richer than me thats for certain.
Whichever source you used it's unreliable !

I think they have confused the late King (who was worth 18 billion) with our Prince.

Our Prince is worth about £100M so a multi millionaire like Kev but not big bucks compared with some other owners.

This Forbes link although a bit old is fairly accurate. You could argue he's even richer now sterling has tanked against the dollar.

http://www.forbesmiddleeast.com/en/...nce-abdullah-bin-musaad-bin/pid/13168/page/3/

Last edited:
I agree with Ricky, where did you get the figure of £18 billion from? If it's been quoted elsewhere a legitimate source would be appreciated.

I, along with several other forum members, recall being told that when we get to the Championship the Prince will loosen his purse strings and give us the backing we'll need if we're to speculate and grow as a club. These days an ambitious Championship side needs to think in terms of millions for quality recruitment rather than a few hundred thousand. Of course it'd be lovely to pick up bargain here and there, but the reality of modern Championship ambition is that a club needs the finances to match those ambitions.

Hello Blades,

I wrote a piece on why I think United would succeed in the division above.

Link: https://andrewsmithjourno.wordpress...eld-united-would-succeed-in-the-championship/

Would be great to get your opinions. UTB.

No reason why we cant build on this season IF (big if with our history) we go up.

To my mind the championship is getting more like the premier league with the top 6 being able to spunk 10-15million on players and almost guaranteeing a strong season. Unless there is some serious mismanagement ala villa at the start of the season.

Below that I think a well managed disciplined side could have a good solid season - like Barnsley or Huddersfield. That what I hope we would have under wilder a strong spirit and system to get the results to do ok. Though to be fair I would take a consolidation season if offered it now.

the only thing to fear in the championship is fear itself
Newcastle and Brighton look as vulnerable as any club , theres lots of mediocrity
with ipswich forest blackburn qpr etc treading water every year

a bit of belief and good organisation can give any team a chance to more than hold their own

a lot of clubs that come down with the parachute money just squander it a la Bolton and nlackburn
Villa have made heavy work of it

Preston have settled in now and the pigs have stayed up so that shows even shit teams can make a fist of it

No reason why we cant build on this season IF (big if with our history) we go up.

To my mind the championship is getting more like the premier league with the top 6 being able to spunk 10-15million on players and almost guaranteeing a strong season. Unless there is some serious mismanagement ala villa at the start of the season.

Below that I think a well managed disciplined side could have a good solid season - like Barnsley or Huddersfield. That what I hope we would have under wilder a strong spirit and system to get the results to do ok. Though to be fair I would take a consolidation season if offered it now.
august 12th sheffield united v leicester city

We will get pasted every week.
I know this because the football geniuses on Porktalk say so.
You have to spend Millions to even survive, and even if we have £20 million to spend ( a figure which I believe has been mentioned) it's not enough according to them.
Now I don't dispute that but money is not everything.
I have seen them twice recently on Sky against Brighton and Wigan, and they look poor, the football is slow and they create very little.They got lucky against Wigan who were really poor, and they have spent God knows how many millions, so it's not just about money (see Huddersfield).
My personal opinion is that we don't have anyone who we can definitely say would make the step up, just alot of question marks and no's from me. I know some could surprise but I don't think anyone can say any of out current squad could easily play in the Championship.
I'm afraid we sold all of those.
But let's worry about that if and when we get there.

I personally don't see it the same way.

The squad this season is doing well because we've finally operated a transfer policy of mainly recruiting players from this league, proven in this league. The downside obviously is IF we did go up we really don't have many championship proven players. However that doesn't mean they won't cut it but maybe a few quality signings wound be needed Imo. There's more obvious weak spots also add to that the formation may change if we go up needing different personal.

Academy wise, as you point out we have had alot of decent talents come through it. However our willingness to sell at relatively low prices pre dates our stay in this division. The line was always 'if a premier league team comes knocking there's nothing we can do' . The new academy category rules further cement this. I don't see a change in division altering this stand as the owners see the academy as a good way of Balancing the books.

Which leads me to your next point. As pointed out try the initial reports of the princes wealth was well off the mark. He has a similar fortune to Kevin mcCabe. Which yes, to me and you is a lot of money. However in the championship nowadays is nothing. When they planned there investment initially 20 million would if build a top championship side. Now it would buy two or three players. The mine gtg were playing with we couldn't even attempt to buy success in that division as the overall wealth of the other teams has rose significantly. We would be one of the poorer teams.

Now I know that sounds all negative but I'm not saying we don't stand a chance. But I certainly think we would be in a relagation battle, to expect more would only set us up for a fall. Our greatest attribute at the moment is the manager and coaching staff. We may even get relegated but with Wilder id expect us to be back here alot stronger and not have another 6 year wait.

So what do we have here. The pies and beer are crap and an owner who's made £billions out of manufacturing bog paper. Something doesn't smell right here.

As an investigative journalist think this is what you should be looking at.

We're not there yet and we all know there's a long way to go but, for me,and from what I've seen do any of us believe that CW would spend ridiculous amounts of cash on anyone. ... doesn't seem like his style
... and I'm more than happy if that's the case

Back
Top Bottom