Those Players we 'didn't sign'

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

robbiez666

Reaction score
The Prince mentioned players the Board recommended and according to:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/soucek-trossard-players-sheffield-united-20251344

They include:

"Yorkshire Live has been told that the names the board suggested were: Thomas Soucek before he joined West Ham; Victor Osimhen, now at Napoli; Jonathan David, now at Lille;Leandro Trossard, now at Brighton;Timothy Castagne, now at Leicester; Jhon Lucumí, Genk; Moisés Caicedo, now at Brighton."

If true, some big misses.

"....Staying in the British market was with the intention of keeping the squad together should they suffer relegation, but once established in the Premier League, he would have been open to moving further afield"

That is an incredibly naive statement if it accurately reports CW's comments. We will never be an established Premier League club, and more than Bournemouth, Stoke, Swansea, Watford, Norwich, West Brom, Brighton, Burnley.... are.

PA's comments make a lot of sense even if it is all beginning to look all a little bit Chansiri-Pulis.

I've been very skeptical when Wilder loyalists talked about not being able to sign players like Lingard and Barkley, simply because I think they were probably out of reach for us regardless.

I feel the same way about this list. Possibly one or two may have been possibilities--after all, we got Berge when I thought we had no chance--but some of these seem like a wishlist rather than a set of realistic signings.

Osimhen went to Napoli for 60 million quid, so I think we can rule that out. Castagne ain't leaving Atalanta in the Champions League and coming to us over Leicester, so that's a non-starter too. I can imagine Soucek was an option, but not once we signed Berge (presumably another board recommendation). I think the boys at Yorkshire Live are picking names out of a hat.

The Prince mentioned players the Board recommended and according to:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/soucek-trossard-players-sheffield-united-20251344

They include:

"Yorkshire Live has been told that the names the board suggested were: Thomas Soucek before he joined West Ham; Victor Osimhen, now at Napoli; Jonathan David, now at Lille;Leandro Trossard, now at Brighton;Timothy Castagne, now at Leicester; Jhon Lucumí, Genk; Moisés Caicedo, now at Brighton."

If true, some big misses.
If true then Wilder is an idiot because there is no way we would have gone down we if signed these players. Fans or no fans we would have done well.

We might have had a look, but There’s not much chance we’d have beaten the likes of Leicester, Napoli and West Ham for those players to be honest.

We might have had a look, but There’s not much chance we’d have beaten the likes of Leicester, Napoli and West Ham for those players to be honest.
but we weren't necessarily going up against those clubs as these were before other clubs got involved (whether an earlier window or earlier in a window). If we turned Berge into a public bidding war we'd have lost.

but we weren't necessarily going up against those clubs as these were before other clubs got involved (whether an earlier window or earlier in a window). If we turned Berge into a public bidding war we'd have lost.
If Berge’s agent didn’t contact other clubs to make them aware he was available and looking to move to the PL, he wasn’t doing his job properly.

This may represent a cherrypicked selection of options put forward, where the flops are missed out.

I actually found the Prince's criticism of last seasons January window as disappointing a surprise, since we bought Berge and loaned Retsos and Zivkovic, so it was the least Wilderesque window we had. Although we did sign Robinson and Rodwell with some loose change from the back of the settee, for balance.

nicksufc can exclusively reveal even more names recommended by The Board:

Lionel Messi (before he decided to stay at Barcelona), Cristiano Ronaldo (now at Juventus), Kylian Mbappé (now at PSG) and Michael Jordan (before he joined the Chicago Bulls)

Thomas Soucek - unless it was the summer we first went up we couldn’t have got him
Victor Osimhen - way to expensive this summer. Last summer we would have probably missed out to Lille.
Jonathan David - would have been an okay signing. Again probably would have missed out to Lille. 1 in 3 for joint 1st place in Ligue 1. Hasn’t really done that well since his move
Leandro Trossard - winger, we don’t play with wingers
Timothy Castagne - wouldn’t have been able to sign him over Leicester and probably would have started at Atalanta
Jhon Lucumí - never seen him play
Moisés Caicedo - never seen him play, he’s 19 and has 2 appearances in the premier league. Who knows how good he will turn out to be.

seems like a pretty stupid list with no mention of the bundesliga player that Prince mentioned. I think the Yorkshire post of just guessing.

So the board recommended to Wilder that we go out and sign a 60m Nigerian striker, yet we couldn't afford to pay the wages of the Wigan left-back. Right.
The wages were taken up by Wilder getting paid over £50k per week 😄

Last edited:
So the board recommended to Wilder that we go out and sign a 60m Nigerian striker, yet we couldn't afford to pay the wages of the Wigan left-back. Right.

Doesn’t quite stack up does it? 😂

“We offered t’lad t’get Roberto Carlos, but he sed he were just in love wi Jack Robinson and wunt budge”

I wasn't going to reveal this ut now he's gone....
Vardy wanted to come to us and was ready to sign, then Chris hit the Prince with a bat and broke the pen. Vardy was getting dripped on from the hole in the roof and got fed up of waiting so went back to shitty Leicestershirester.

Thomas Soucek - unless it was the summer we first went up we couldn’t have got him
Victor Osimhen - way to expensive this summer. Last summer we would have probably missed out to Lille.
Jonathan David - would have been an okay signing. Again probably would have missed out to Lille. 1 in 3 for joint 1st place in Ligue 1. Hasn’t really done that well since his move
Leandro Trossard - winger, we don’t play with wingers
Timothy Castagne - wouldn’t have been able to sign him over Leicester and probably would have started at Atalanta
Jhon Lucumí - never seen him play
Moisés Caicedo - never seen him play, he’s 19 and has 2 appearances in the premier league. Who knows how good he will turn out to be.

seems like a pretty stupid list with no mention of the bundesliga player that Prince mentioned. I think the Yorkshire post of just guessing.
We may have missed out on all of them or ended up with one or two. I think the point is about Wilder restricting our options with a largely buy British or Irish players. We may have wanted Cash Watkins and Antoine Robinson but you will always have competition for home grown players too and so they signed for other clubs.
One thing we all should agree on is that we could have done alot better with our recruitment no matter whether it is Wilder the Prince or both who were responsible.

If you're saying we won't sign X player because they went to X club you don't understand how transfers work. We could've been in for and completed deals before X club were even interested.

It’s one thing suggesting players another getting them. I think it’s quite easy to see Wilder wanted mainly British players. However we’re any of these names potential signings or just recommended names

Back
Top Bottom