Things we’ve learned from this transfer window

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
1.The Prince in his interview reckoned we missed players suggested by the Board, because of Wilder’s intransigence.
Wilder, not here, still missing em!
2.Don’t leave everything to the last minute.If deals collapse, which they often do, leaves you no where to go, and your team without the creativity desperately needed
3.It’s probably a good idea to check the work permit situation before negotiating for a player, and agreeing a late in the day deal, only to find he can’t play for you, and you’ve no back up.

1) Agreed, that's no longer an excuse.

2) This one really annoys me, I get that we may have been waiting for some clubs to panic buy/sell to start a cascade of transfers, one of which is our intended deal but its so risky and this time hasn't paid off. We were linked with Seriki Dembele & Collado and nor have neither whilst we're desperately short of tricky/exciting players

1. and "still missing em" this is based on actual insider evidence of what happened I assume ?

Fact is no one outside of the Blades camp knows what happened and why it happened and we probably never will.
What you cant say is what would have happened if Wilder was still in charge. We may have got zero incoming, we may have got some good ones who knows.

Stop looking for who is to blame as you will never know the truth and just enjoy the moment. Overall we had a positive transfer window by our standards.

1.The Prince in his interview reckoned we missed players suggested by the Board, because of Wilder’s intransigence.
Wilder, not here, still missing em!
2.Don’t leave everything to the last minute.If deals collapse, which they often do, leaves you no where to go, and your team without the creativity desperately needed
3.It’s probably a good idea to check the work permit situation before negotiating for a player, and agreeing a late in the day deal, only to find he can’t play for you, and you’ve no back up.

Better players become available for loan at the end of the window.

Agree It is important to try and do some business earlier - though admittedly it’s not always possible.

people won’t let go until replacements come in etc etc. It’s used as a negotiation tactic also.

We certainly need to get someone who understands work permits through the door. Obviously blessin and karromah persuits we’re obv a waste of time and resources

It's a bit of a game of poker though isn't it?

You wait too long and you risk missing out but you go too early and the same applies.

If we insisted on having our business done weeks ago then we would not have got Olsen.

I’m going to need you explain which transfer failed due to work permit issues. If you could point out where they didn’t get enough points to qualify that would help because I think your comment is entirely ignorant and inaccurate.

I’m going to need you explain which transfer failed due to work permit issues. If you could point out where they didn’t get enough points to qualify that would help because I think your comment is entirely ignorant and inaccurate.
It was sheff United way, the Sheffield star and football italia who all reported that the deal for the Parma forward, Yann Karanoh, who we had agreed to sign earlier in the day had collapsed to due work permits issues.If this is inaccurate then I stand corrected.

It was sheff United way, the Sheffield star and football italia who all reported that the deal for the Parma forward, Yann Karanoh, who we had agreed to sign earlier in the day had collapsed to due work permits issues.If this is inaccurate then I stand corrected.
stringer Danny one of yours I think.
Are you able to advise which element of the criteria he fell foul of or is it just a re-reporting of Italians press claims so could be lost in translation? Ie we stopped the deal due to the maximum loans allowed in a matchday squad.

thanks

Are you able to advise which element of the criteria he fell foul of or is it just a re-reporting of Italians press claims so could be lost in translation? Ie we stopped the deal due to the maximum loans allowed in a matchday squad.

thanks
I have no info on the details, other than what was reported in the media, as the reason for the deal collapsing.

We'll always miss out on some of our targets, I'm ok with that but if like to know, like we all would, how soon the players that we missed out on we were working on as deals. Why no permanent players coming in? Bournemouth have shown the way with the recruitment of Christie and Lowe, two players id have loved us to get. I think owen dale at Crewe will prove to be sound business by Blackpool too. I don't think it's good for the team dynamic to have too many loans.

I don’t understand what it is about transfer windows and market forces that people don’t understand. If you set a deadline, the selling club will wait until they have replacements sorted or until the buying club is desperate and is willing to pay more.

Thats why such a high number of deals go through on the last day. United have likely been trying to get most of their signings for weeks but couldn’t do anything until yesterday.

People comment without knowing anything.

Nail on head. The frustration is that deals aren’t done earlier but it’s not as easy as that, especially in a pre season where there’s been Euros, Copa America, Olympics and U21s finals meaning a lot of players had extended breaks so teams needed the players in pre season games.

If it was as easy as “not waiting whilst the last minute” everyone would have thought of that.

The issue is many of these deals depend on on ‘other deals’ going through to create a domino effect in players moving, and many of these deals go at the last minute cos the selling club are playing hardball to build up bidding wars and push desperate clubs into shelling out more money.

Nail on head. The frustration is that deals aren’t done earlier but it’s not as easy as that, especially in a pre season where there’s been Euros, Copa America, Olympics and U21s finals meaning a lot of players had extended breaks so teams needed the players in pre season games.

Sharp was right the other week. The summer transfer windows needs to close before the season starts. Then like you say its harder to sign players due to internationals.

thanks
Work permit issues

This may be true.
However, we apparently want to change the system to have wingers…that means we needed 2….and if you then consider that one or both may get injured…you also need cover!!
So while it’s ok to say better is available later, I would have expected us to get at least one winger in early to be sure we had that option…then if better is available you get that one too.
Loans are NOT the way to do this, we should have bought some given we had plenty of notice and time to prepare. We could have then fine tuned with loans if they came up, we shouldn’t be making the main changes through loans!!

Work permit issues
Are you able to elaborate? The criteria seems quite clear based on his appearances last season. If different criteria needs to be followed surely that needs to be clarified.
If he failed to meet the published criteria then where? He had the appearances to make it over 15 points.
If I’m ignorant of the facts I’d welcome education but based on what we have published it doesn’t follow.

robbiez666 - you’ll be interested in this.

Last edited:
This may be true.
However, we apparently want to change the system to have wingers…that means we needed 2….and if you then consider that one or both may get injured…you also need cover!!
So while it’s ok to say better is available later, I would have expected us to get at least one winger in early to be sure we had that option…then if better is available you get that one too.
Loans are NOT the way to do this, we should have bought some given we had plenty of notice and time to prepare. We could have then fine tuned with loans if they came up, we shouldn’t be making the main changes through loans!!
GB, I thought that you understood this, it has to be loans, the owner doesn't have the wealth to back up perm signings and the Ramsdale/prem income is already spoken for (as previously stated).

This may be true.
But we don’t have the funds to support bringing in that kind of talent and cover the contract cost.

Sure a fulham fan posted on here saying Jokanovic left it late for their rebuild too so might not be the prince's fault.

GB, I thought that you understood this, it has to be loans, the owner doesn't have the wealth to back up perm signings and the Ramsdale/prem income is already spoken for (as previously stated).

I know that, I just don’t accept it. Players don’t need to cost huge sums, and players will have also been free at some point somewhere. Do t forget…we apparently have a clever board who pointed out lots of value on the continent to have it Rhein in their faces!!

At least £2m from Ramsdale fee should ha e been reinvested

Sure a fulham fan posted on here saying Jokanovic left it late for their rebuild too so might not be the prince's fault.

So his interviews and quotes were him lying to cover his own incompetence?
And Wilder did the same??

Hmmm

So his interviews and quotes were him lying to cover his own incompetence?
And Wilder did the same??

Hmmm
In all honesty, I can't see the current manager being here much longer TBH and I don't believe that the salary will keep him either. The sceptic within me thinks that all we did with the loan signings is: -

Replacement for a under performing Fleck - CH / tick.
Replacement for a Duffy type player - MGW / tick.
Replacement for JOC - BD / tick.
Replacement for Henderson/Ramsdale - RO / tick.

This just amounts to a (hopeful punt by the club) upgrade of the current players in an attempt to reignite the 3-5-2 system, that they believe is the cheap option to get the playing side moving again, and on the plus side (and I do believe that this has been seriously considered), if the manager goes, then Heck sausage is in the building to continue on from CW, with this system.

Back
Top Bottom