The Prince

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Maidenhead

Reaction score
The counter arguments are:

* The Prince got rid of Kevin "there's no bigger Blade than me" McCabe, the person who actually did asset strip Sheffield United and used the club to make money for himself.
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Do you seriously believe that McCabe made money out of the club?

If so you then you're seriously deluded.

Unfortunately in financial terms the Prince = McCabe, and that's not knocking either of em, it's just the way it is.

Both had to make the club pay it's own way because neither had/has the means to put more in

robbiez666

Reaction score
Don’t think he’s spent beyond our means … has he ?
30million has to come back in from Ramsdale , parachute payments two years prem money , I wouldn’t think we were in a bad place financially… are we ?
Well, who knows. It's kind of impossible to fully tell in football. Hardly transparent, especially when you never know wages or fees.. But the fact we've only signed players on loan and not enough at that suggests we are hardly rolling in it. The noises Slav's making suggest that there won't be any significant business in January. You'd think a team losing 7 of its squad at the end of the season would be looking to invest in more long-term signings.

Chingo

Reaction score
Well, who knows. It's kind of impossible to fully tell in football. Hardly transparent, especially when you never know wages or fees.. But the fact we've only signed players on loan and not enough at that suggests we are hardly rolling in it. The noises Slav's making suggest that there won't be any significant business in January. You'd think a team losing 7 of its squad at the end of the season would be looking to invest in more long-term signings.
Half an hour ago you post we were living beyond our means and now you don’t know and it’s hardly transparent, give it half an hour and you will be saying how well run we are !

robbiez666

Reaction score
Half an hour ago you post we were living beyond our means and now you don’t know and it’s hardly transparent, give it half an hour and you will be saying how well run we are !
This is a forum. You do realise that what people post on forums is generally their opinions, don't you?

robbiez666

Reaction score
Yes and you changed your opinion within half an hour !
I stated an opinion. You asked for evidence. I stated it wasn't possible to provide hard evidence. You accused me of changing my opinion.

Cheesebored

You're a long time in a box.
Reaction score
I stated an opinion. You asked for evidence. I stated it wasn't possible to provide hard evidence. You accused me of changing my opinion.
But you've got form for spouting bollocks, being asked to back your bollocks up with evidence, then going quiet. It's fair enough to ask questions with your previous. Opinions on a forum are fair enough but stating opinion as fact leaves you open to criticism.

jt64

Reaction score
It is amazing that someone can look at the amount of TV money we extracted from the PL and perceive spending 110m to be "beyond our means". If we had twatted that off while Stearman was still pissed, then maybe, but we didn't

Chingo

Reaction score
I just threw a general question out there asking anyone if we were in financial trouble as I can’t see how we can be.
You said we were living beyond our means , 30
Minutes later you said you didn’t know the state of the finances and they are not transparent or words to that effect … so are we living beyond our means or not ?

ATL Recs

Reaction score
Yes, I most certainly do.
That’s why he got into the club in the first place. Not because of his love for Sheffield,the match day atmosphere at the Lane, and the taste of chip butties.
It’s a business to him, and he is definitely nobodies fool.
Football is a business the end

ATL Recs

Reaction score
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Do you seriously believe that McCabe made money out of the club?

If so you then you're seriously deluded.

Unfortunately in financial terms the Prince = McCabe, and that's not knocking either of em, it's just the way it is.

Both had to make the club pay it's own way because neither had/has the means to put more in
Yes and he made money on the Tevez shit - he allegedly brokered a deal with the WHU CHAIRMAN and allegedly the payment was not made to SUFC but to you know who

LJBlade

Reaction score
The Prince will certainly make a profit if he were to sell the club now but I don't see any reason to begrudge him that after all it was his investment that went a long way to helping us get Premier League monies. Yes Premier league money bought back the stadium and paid for players for better or worse. The only asset strippers have been possibly been previous owners yet they will not come out with any profit on their investment very few football clubs post a profit for their owners. The longer the Prince owns Sheffield United the less chance he has of walking away with any money in his pockets.

How much has the Prince spent so far and how much do you think he would realistically get for the club?

Reaction score
The Prince gambled thinking this squad would set the championship on fire and only needed a relatively successful championship manager to complete the jigsaw.... I put my hand up here and thought we could probably give it a good go this season ... It's all gone a bit wonky, in fact it's pretty shit.
God knows where we go from here.
Go on Blades give me a weekend that puts a smile on my face.... Please.
UTB

Sheffsteel

Reaction score
And beyond our means. I think he gambled everything on another season in the EPL. Basically doing the one thing we always criticise other clubs for, including our neighbours, spending above our means. If you look at what we spent over those two years we outspend the majority of other teams. All of which have significantly richer owners than us. Which would suggest that we have not been prudent.

My biggest criticism is not spending money on infrastructure. You can argue the toss as to whether we should have been paying huge fees for Berge, Rammers, McNurnie, Brewster, but the long-term future of the club, which owner and (then) manager always stated was paramount, was actually paramount.

We're now in a complete mess by the looks of it. Bad mismanagement from owner and manager, but the person who owns the club is, at the end of the day, the person who needs to take responsibility.

Wow….think back to our time in the PL.
Almost every supporter predicted we won’t buy Berge or Brewster because we lack ambition.
Many of our fans said pay both players what even they want….spend the cash…because they’ll be worth 50 mil in a few years.

I suggested spending money on the infrastructure like Norwich.
Almost every fan replied…..no, spend money on players first….get established…then spend on infrastructure.
Look what happened to Norwich when they showed no ambition….instant relegation.

It’s the attitude of our fans who are to blame…..the “I want it now’ generation.
Our fans called out the Prince to show ambition and he’s delivered every time.
Even this season he’s appointed (on paper) the best manager for this league who is known to play great football.
The Prince has fully supported Slav by allowing him to bring in his own backroom team.

Even now most of our fans demand a promotion challenge.
They want us to keep spending big….pay millions in compensation to terminate contracts and bring in new players on big contracts.
Their demands mean we get into massive debt but they don’t seem to care if we exist.
Even if we were crap in league 2…I’d still go to half our games,

Sheffsteel

Reaction score
The Prince gambled thinking this squad would set the championship on fire and only needed a relatively successful championship manager to complete the jigsaw.... I put my hand up here and thought we could probably give it a good go this season ... It's all gone a bit wonky, in fact it's pretty shit.
UTB

Agree…but to be fair you can understand why the Prince would think we have one of the best squads in the league
so appointing a top quality….tried and tested manager….should reap dividends.

It’s all coming full circle.
We all saw Basham in league 1 and he was an average centre back at that level.
Coventry fans insisted Fleck was good at league 1 level but they doubted he’d be good enough to handle Championship level.
Brentford fans insisted Egan was, at best, an average centre back at Championship level.
MK Dons fans said Baldock’s got pace and is decent going forward but he can’t defend.
Huddersfield and Fulham fans said Norwood has quality regards passing but he’s too light weight and can’t tackle.

However Wilder comes along and plays the same players, same formation and same style every match.
After a few matches the players seem to know where all the others players will be, without even looking.
Our system under Wilder never relied on individual ability, it was simple pass and move game with hard work and effort
so all our players looked better than their true standard.

Now these players are being asked to play different formations and tactics they are found wanting.

Last edited:

Chingo

Reaction score
Yes and he made money on the Tevez shit - he allegedly brokered a deal with the WHU CHAIRMAN and allegedly the payment was not made to SUFC but to you know who
Not a fan of McCabe but he didn’t pocket the tevez cash , the club took a loan out against the compensation and it was used as repayments to the loan company … think it’s was Santander !

Barney

Reaction score
Agree…but to be fair you can understand why the Prince would think we have one of the best squads in the league
Should but only should. The trend is that with managers they peak and then don't return to that success despite clubs giving them jobs believing they will. We did this with Adkins and Boro are about to do it with Wilder. The key is to try to be the club that the managers success is with, not the club that tries to replicate what a manager did elsewhere. That's why we were right to appoint Wilder when we did

Reaction score
I know, it just doesn't add up really, Sheffield united certainly fooled me.

LJBlade

Reaction score
UTB

I think The Prince is a lot more ‘hands off’ than you seem to be suggesting here

metalblade

Reaction score
How much has the Prince spent so far and how much do you think he would realistically get for the club?

Well he put around £20m before becoming sole owner. He has to pay McCabe around £50m so he could probably recoup that at least. How much do you think he has put in bearing in mind since getting to the Premier League we have received around a quarter of a billion pounds or £250,000,000 most of which he has allowed to be spent on players and their wages. You certainly can't accuse him of lacking ambition and not backing Wilder. The argument that he has put nothing in and Chris Wilder made all his money doesn't stand up to scrutiny Chris Wilder also wasted that money which as sole owner was his to do with as he pleased he chose to spend it on the team hardly his fault that we were sold sick puppies.

Last edited:

LJBlade

Reaction score
Well he put around £20m before becoming sole owner. He has to pay McCabe around £50m so he could probably recoup that at least. How much do you think he has put in bearing in mind since getting to the Premier League we have received around a quarter of a billion ponds or £250,000,000 most of which he has allowed to be spent on players and their wages. You certainly can't accuse him of lacking ambition and not backing Wilder. The argument that he has put nothing in and Chris Wilder made all his money doesn't stand up to scrutiny Chris Wilder also wasted that money which as sole owner was his to do with as he pleased he chose to spend it on the team hardly his fault that we were sold sick puppies.

I’ve honestly no idea. I don’t know how much he’s put in or how much he could really get for the club. I wasn’t really arguing a point, just interested in your opinion. I’d be surprised if he could turn a profit from us but I could easily be wrong.

metalblade

Reaction score
I’ve honestly no idea. I don’t know how much he’s put in or how much he could really get for the club. I wasn’t really arguing a point, just interested in your opinion. I’d be surprised if he could turn a profit from us but I could easily be wrong.
Yeah I'd agree he could make a profit maybe if he sold now but with Covid and relegation predicted income is well down which don't leave much wiggle room. The figures that Chris Wilder pissed up the wall over £100m are truly staggering, £250,000,000 income in two years and we have nothing to show for it not even a new training ground. These players are worth only a fraction of what we paid for them as it is they aren't much better than the misfits the pigs have scraped together.

Charlieblade

Reaction score
Remember the circumstances that brought the club to where it is now. While the High court was taking its time deciding on the ownership issue, Wilder was busy smashing the League 1 title and establishing the club in the Championship.
Wilder got on with bringing Premier League football to the club, despite all the background noise at the time. Automatic promotion followed, and the ownership of the club was decided.

The new owner, who was previously just an investor, had to decide how the club should be run financially, with a bristling and triumphant manager. In general, the fans were happy to be rid of the McCabe style of ownership, and the new owner and Wilder were both at pains to reassure the fan base, that United would not live beyond their means.

That first season back at the top table could hardly have gone better, but a decision had to be made.
Wilder convinced the Prince that any funds remaining, would be invested in playing staff, at the expense of the infrastructure that he had complained about. Wilder wanted to do both, but the Prince backed Wilder with transfer funding, based on a very good first season in the Prem. The training families, ground and academy woud have to make do with scraps, while the Prince backed Wilders ambition with transfer funds.
The direction of funding the future of the club was taken based on both men being cautious in the first season back, by sanctioning the improvements to the side from Championship potential players who would still be affordable if we went straight back down.
We didn’t and the Prince backed Wilders ambition with spending that even surprised the supporters.

After just one season, we were suddenly looking and believing like a Premier league club. If we didn’t spend big, we lacked ambition. I’m sure that few of us expected relegation in our second season?
The Prince and Wilder got us through that first PL season, and, if not for property purchase demands of the high court, we might have made progress on infrastructure, as well as first team investment.

It’s easy to look back with hindsight, and say things could have been different, but I think that first PL season success took everyone by surprise, and determined the direction we eventually ended up with. It coloured the choices made by the owner and the manager.

We are left with only one choice now. Back the owner and manager to bring success back to the club. It was all too quick and easy before, but we must live with those earlier decisions and get back to the PL through hard work and decision making based on previous experience. I would rather build slowly, and learn from the experience of a few seasons more in the Championship.

When we do get back to the top, it needs to be with a successful and confident side, capable of staying there. We are not even close at the moment.

Sean Thornton

“No reasonable person would believe it”
Reaction score
Remember the circumstances that brought the club to where it is now. While the High court was taking its time deciding on the ownership issue, Wilder was busy smashing the League 1 title and establishing the club in the Championship.
Wilder got on with bringing Premier League football to the club, despite all the background noise at the time. Automatic promotion followed, and the ownership of the club was decided.

The new owner, who was previously just an investor, had to decide how the club should be run financially, with a bristling and triumphant manager. In general, the fans were happy to be rid of the McCabe style of ownership, and the new owner and Wilder were both at pains to reassure the fan base, that United would not live beyond their means.

That first season back at the top table could hardly have gone better, but a decision had to be made.
Wilder convinced the Prince that any funds remaining, would be invested in playing staff, at the expense of the infrastructure that he had complained about. Wilder wanted to do both, but the Prince backed Wilder with transfer funding, based on a very good first season in the Prem. The training families, ground and academy woud have to make do with scraps, while the Prince backed Wilders ambition with transfer funds.
The direction of funding the future of the club was taken based on both men being cautious in the first season back, by sanctioning the improvements to the side from Championship potential players who would still be affordable if we went straight back down.
We didn’t and the Prince backed Wilders ambition with spending that even surprised the supporters.

After just one season, we were suddenly looking and believing like a Premier league club. If we didn’t spend big, we lacked ambition. I’m sure that few of us expected relegation in our second season?
The Prince and Wilder got us through that first PL season, and, if not for property purchase demands of the high court, we might have made progress on infrastructure, as well as first team investment.

It’s easy to look back with hindsight, and say things could have been different, but I think that first PL season success took everyone by surprise, and determined the direction we eventually ended up with. It coloured the choices made by the owner and the manager.

We are left with only one choice now. Back the owner and manager to bring success back to the club. It was all too quick and easy before, but we must live with those earlier decisions and get back to the PL through hard work and decision making based on previous experience. I would rather build slowly, and learn from the experience of a few seasons more in the Championship.

When we do get back to the top, it needs to be with a successful and confident side, capable of staying there. We are not even close at the moment.

Thinks that’s a very realistic summation. The only thing l’d say is that he wasn’t just an investor, he was co-owner from day one.

Rodley

Reaction score
Don’t think he’s spent beyond our means … has he ?
30million has to come back in from Ramsdale , parachute payments two years prem money , I wouldn’t think we were in a bad place financially… are we ?

What parachute payments? We’ve mortgaged against them haven’t we?

Charlieblade

Reaction score
Thinks that’s a very realistic summation. The only thing l’d say is that he wasn’t just an investor, he was co-owner from day one.
Being a bit cynical, but I don’t think Kevin ever saw him as an equal co-owner, just someone to share the bills with. Point taken. :)

Robby Blade

Reaction score
I often wonder when I read these threads on how you should run a business have actually done so, I have as it happens but I couldn't tell you how to run a successful football club, every fucker is an expert, probably working at tescos or KFC tomorrow, makes me laugh 😂

Running a business is the easiest thing in the world if you listen to someone who has never risen above toilet cleaner.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Top Bottom