The Prince

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

robbiez666

Reaction score
I see a lot of people seem to be blaming the manager and the players for where the club is now but a huge amount of the blame needs to go to the owner.

He:
  • Allowed the previous manager to spend above our means
  • Has not invested in the training or youth facilities, as promised
  • Has not invested in scouting/recruitment
  • Presided over a farce of a pre-season
  • Is absent and the people in charge in the UK are clearly incompetent
  • Had a farce of a management search before appointing the guy everyone demanded (but who wasn't even on the shortlist)
  • Then clearly hasn't backed that guy with the money promised (Slav's increasingly pissed off August demeanour was proof of that)
  • Chucked money at short-term solutions in a seemingly desperate bid to get promoted
  • and if we have no money then Slav is the wrong manager
There's not a great deal of point changing the manager if the owner is basically not interested.

If he's not going to be involved then he has to employ a DoF and/or general manager who will sort this shit out on a day to day basis in the UK. We seem largely rudderless as things stand.

I believe Slav doesn't really get involved with transfers. Will nod things through but basically identifies what he needs and is used to a DoF getting on with it. If this is a case, bring a DoF in.

Reaction score
Correct.

The strongest position the club could realistically wish to be in, and it's been squandered.

SwissBlade

Reaction score
I see a lot of people seem to be blaming the manager and the players for where the club is now but a huge amount of the blame needs to go to the owner.

He:
  • Had a farce of a management search before appointing the guy everyone demanded (but who wasn't even on the shortlist)
  • Then clearly hasn't backed that guy with the money promised (Slav's increasingly pissed off August demeanour was proof of that)
  • Chucked money at short-term solutions in a seemingly desperate bid to get promoted
There's not a great deal of point changing the manager if the owner is basically not interested.

If he's not going to be involved then he has to employ a DoF and/or general manager who will sort this shit out on a day to day basis in the UK. We seem largely rudderless as things stand.

I believe Slav doesn't really get involved with transfers. Will nod things through but basically identifies what he needs and is used to a DoF getting on with it. If this is a case, bring a DoF in.
It helps to understand the structure….

The accounts are available on the club website which will show you a little more on how the club is run, presently. Although it keeps changing.

doesn’t detract from some of your points though on how badly we’re being run, despite being financially very savvy/ tight in some ways - cutting our cloth accordingly

Reaction score
Exactly right . Whatever people say about Slav , Wilder , Flecky , Norwood and anybody else we could blame the 'Poundland Prince' is the one who is asset stripping the club . Surely if Slav wanted the likes of Connor Hourihane he would have had a decent run in the team by now .

bromtom

Well-Known Member/ Former F1 Driver Jos Verstappen
Reaction score
Exactly right . Whatever people say about Slav , Wilder , Flecky , Norwood and anybody else we could blame the 'Poundland Prince' is the one who is asset stripping the club . Surely if Slav wanted the likes of Connor Hourihane he would have had a decent run in the team by now .

How can you accuse him of asset stripping? Even if you think he's dogshit, the one thing you can't level at him is that.

Spent like 90% of club money on the club.

Bought the properties and put them in the club's name not his.

The only asset stripping being done is by our assets, who are stripping value from themselves by being dogshit.

Sean Thornton

“No reasonable person would believe it”
Reaction score

He:

Or as some would say, was wrong to trust someone who ended up spaffing £100m on third rate players.

Covid 19/no gate money

Spent money employing Wilders recommendation for this.

At last, a point with some validity

Hands tied as someone wasted a significant amount of money

You’ve already done this. Padding.

Proof? How much was promised?

No money, chucked money. Make your mind up. Wanted promotion, what a twat he is.

And your choice would be?

Again, opinion not fact

How will they do that? No money, poor side, what are there options as things stand?

You start off with a belief, then say how it is but end on an IF.

bromtom

Well-Known Member/ Former F1 Driver Jos Verstappen
Reaction score
So who will receive the money when he sells the club and its assets?Think you know the answer to thst one.

So if he sells the club, he'll get what he sold it for (minus outstanding loans), so what? Won't matter to Sheffield United will it, we'll have new owners and the Prince's bank balance won't be our business anymore.

If he sells playing assets before that, the club will likely take most of the cash to pay off debts and replace them.

Reaction score
Do you really think he will make a profit if or when he sells ?

some of our fans are thick !
Yes, I most certainly do.
That’s why he got into the club in the first place. Not because of his love for Sheffield,the match day atmosphere at the Lane, and the taste of chip butties.
It’s a business to him, and he is definitely nobodies fool.

Houso

Reaction score
That’s why he got into the club in the first place. Not because of his love for Sheffield,the match day atmosphere at the Lane, and the taste of chip butties.
Wish we had a Blade owner. That'd be great :(

Chingo

Reaction score
There is no profit to be made from owning a football club , quite the opposite actually !

robbiez666

Reaction score
You start off with a belief, then say how it is but end on an IF.
Much of what you or I (or anyone on this board) says is conjecture or deduction.

The fact is he gave Wilder money to spend when he knew there was not enough money to improve the training and youth facilities. Brewster was bought in October 2020, not before COVID.

You can't run a business and then take no responsibility when the business fails.

Wilder is at fault for this mess
The Prince is at fault for this mess

chesblade

Reaction score
Some people appear to have forgotten we have been in a pandemic and lost a lot of money with no fans being allowed. We know the prince isn't loaded so we can't do what our fan's actually want
We have to hope our luck will change

sonofbruce

Hail to the king, baby!
Reaction score
The counter arguments are:

* The Prince made us financially stable as we had pretty much zero debt when we got promoted to the Premier League.

* The Prince got rid of Kevin "there's no bigger Blade than me" McCabe, the person who actually did asset strip Sheffield United and used the club to make money for himself.

* The Prince has always been up front and honest about the state of the club and actually answers questions, unlike McWobblegob who either waffled and ultimately said nothing, or just openly lied.

* He refused to gamble on our long term future in overpaying players by keeping the wage bill down. We had the fourth lowest wage bill in the Championship when we got promoted.

* He backed Wilder in the top flight more than McCabe backed Warnock. McCabe gave Warnock £20mil which was for transfer fees, agents and signing on fees and player wages.

* He backed Wilder in January of the first season and then the following summer.

* He continued to support Wilder when we were becoming the laughing stock of the league, having won 0 games by Christmas. Even saying that he would not sack him if were relegated.

* Recognising that we were effectively down by Christmas the Prince wisely decided not to waste more money in January on panic signings.

* Recognising that Wilder signed 23 players in the top flight and only regularly started 4 over the course of two seasons, 2 of whom were on loan, he recognised that Wilder wasted money and insisted that we had a Director of Football moving forward if Wilder stayed. This resulted in the end of Wilder, as he disagreed.

* The Prince backed the appointment of Slav and waited patiently to get his man rather than panic appointing someone else.

robbiez666

Reaction score
Some people appear to have forgotten we have been in a pandemic and lost a lot of money with no fans being allowed. We know the prince isn't loaded so we can't do what our fan's actually want
We have to hope our luck will change

1, The pandemic was here when we bought Brewster
2, The pandemic was also here when we bought Ramsdale, Bogle, Lowe
3, We've likely spent £8-10 million on temporary loans.

Maybe that was bad management?

metalblade

Reaction score
The Prince will certainly make a profit if he were to sell the club now but I don't see any reason to begrudge him that after all it was his investment that went a long way to helping us get Premier League monies. Yes Premier league money bought back the stadium and paid for players for better or worse. The only asset strippers have been possibly been previous owners yet they will not come out with any profit on their investment very few football clubs post a profit for their owners. The longer the Prince owns Sheffield United the less chance he has of walking away with any money in his pockets.

Blad

Reaction score
Obviously but who does that ?
Well I can only believe that’s the Prince’s end game. No other reason why he would still be plodding along, remortgaging his house etc etc. Because of United world you would have to think we are attractive for a new foreign owner to buy into a English club, that is the Prince end game imo.

Sheffsteel

Reaction score
The Prince has shown to be the most ambitious owner we’ve ever had.

Its ironic that the ambition has backfired.
In retrospect should we have done a Norwich?
I’d say no, at least we’ve given it a go. Spending 110 million over 2 seasons was beyond our wildest expectations.

robbiez666

Reaction score
The Prince has shown to be the most ambitious owner we’ve ever had.

Its ironic that the ambition has backfired.
In retrospect should we have done a Norwich?
I’d say no, at least we’ve given it a go. Spending 110 million over 2 seasons was beyond our wildest expectations.
And beyond our means. I think he gambled everything on another season in the EPL. Basically doing the one thing we always criticise other clubs for, including our neighbours, spending above our means. If you look at what we spent over those two years we outspend the majority of other teams. All of which have significantly richer owners than us. Which would suggest that we have not been prudent.

My biggest criticism is not spending money on infrastructure. You can argue the toss as to whether we should have been paying huge fees for Berge, Rammers, McNurnie, Brewster, but the long-term future of the club, which owner and (then) manager always stated was paramount, was actually paramount.

We're now in a complete mess by the looks of it. Bad mismanagement from owner and manager, but the person who owns the club is, at the end of the day, the person who needs to take responsibility.

Chingo

Reaction score
And beyond our means. I think he gambled everything on another season in the EPL. Basically doing the one thing we always criticise other clubs for, including our neighbours, spending above our means. If you look at what we spent over those two years we outspend the majority of other teams. All of which have significantly richer owners than us. Which would suggest that we have not been prudent.

My biggest criticism is not spending money on infrastructure. You can argue the toss as to whether we should have been paying huge fees for Berge, Rammers, McNurnie, Brewster, but the long-term future of the club, which owner and (then) manager always stated was paramount, was actually paramount.

We're now in a complete mess by the looks of it. Bad mismanagement from owner and manager, but the person who owns the club is, at the end of the day, the person who needs to take responsibility.
Don’t think he’s spent beyond our means … has he ?
30million has to come back in from Ramsdale , parachute payments two years prem money , I wouldn’t think we were in a bad place financially… are we ?

Boxer Blade

Reaction score
I often wonder when I read these threads on how you should run a business have actually done so, I have as it happens but I couldn't tell you how to run a successful football club, every fucker is an expert, probably working at tescos or KFC tomorrow, makes me laugh 😂

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Top Bottom