The most pleasing aspect of that for me.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Overthehills

Give Quiche A Chance....
Reaction score
Firstly, safe journey back up north Blades. I'm currently being couriered round the M25, soon to be the A23 and I will be home in no time.

Forget the 3 points, they are without a doubt a fantastic early Christmas present.

I am no tactical analyst, I have no superior football intelligence, I am average Joe that watches Sheffield united. Bur for me personally, I took so much more from that than three points.

You know that annoying top 6 team who you come against? The well set up and drilled team? The ones who seem to do all of the basics right? The ones who articulately look like the result of a couple of seasons hard work and planning......that was us tonight.

I'm not sure if it is the McCall influence, but the centre of the park led the field of play tonight. The level of discipline in Hourihane and Norwood was sublime. The hassled, hurried and played a huge distance in the middle of the park. The moved us forward and equally they dropped back and gave the defenders huge confidence.

One of the highlights of the game for me was Fulham having possession in the middle of the park, only to be pressured back to their left back. What happened next though was a testament of what we were all about tonight... Because as the ball was played across the back line, every single pass was chased down by a black shirt....4 players pressing forwards and hounding the opposition down on their own patch... The intensity of that High press was unreal, absolutely bossed Fulham on their own patch.

Following Fulham's right back picking up the ball, he then played it forward and into our half of the pitch. All of the pressing players then tracked back into defensive positions, it was seamless. I have not seen us so well drilled in quite some time. It was something else.

Attacking with 7 or 8 players in advance positions in the opposition half, but instantly reverting the the same number of players returning back behind the ball. The overall team work rate was sublime, better than we have seen for some time.

Hecky's had these lads a few weeks and he's already coached that level of discipline. We looked like a team that he had managed for years.

Do the basics right and the rest tends to follow. I can't remember the last time that I left a ground with 3 massive points, but am left more thinking about the performance. It was textbook execution. Fantastic!

Last edited:

Firstly, safe journey back up north Blades. I'm currently being couriered round the M25, soon to be the A23 and I will be home in no time.

Forget the 3 points, they are without a doubt a fantastic early Christmas present.

I am no tactical analyst, I have no superior football intelligence, I am average Joe that watches Sheffield united. Bur for me personally, I took so much more from that than three points.

You know that annoying top 6 team who you come against? The well set up and drilled team? The ones who seem to do all of the basics right? The ones who articulately look like the result of a couple of seasons hard work and planning......that was us tonight.

I'm not sure if it is the McCall influence, but the centre of the park led the field of play tonight. The level of discipline in Hourihane and Norwood was sublime. The hassled, hurried and played a huge distance in the middle of the park. The moved us forward and equally they dropped back and gave the defenders huge confidence.

One of the highlights of the game for me was Fulham having possession in the middle of the park, only to be pressured back to their left back. What happened next though was a testament of what we were all about tonight... Because as the ball was played across the back line, every single pass was chased down by a black shirt....4 players pressing forwards and hounding the opposition down on their own patch... The intensity of that High press was unreal, absolutely bossed Fulham on their own patch.

Following Fulham's right back picking up the ball, he then played it forward and into our half of the pitch. All of the pressing players then tracked back into defensive positions, it was seamless. I have not seen us so well drilled in quite some time. It was something else.

Attacking with 7 or 8 players in advance positions in the opposition half, but instantly reverting the the same number of players returning back behind the ball. The overall team work rate was sublime, better than we have seen for some time.

Hecky's had these lads a few weeks and he's already coached that level of discipline. We looked like a team that he had managed for years.

Do the basics right and the rest tends to follow. I can't remember the last time that I left a ground with 3 massive points, but am left more thinking about the performance. It was textbook execution. Fantastic!
Whereabouts are you from BDS?

To me, this pressing game was precisely the reason behind our progress up the leagues which culminated in promotion to the PL.
For whatever reason, it either didn't happen or eventually wasn't as effective at the top level, but if we can reproduce it consistently, I suspect the fans will be an awful lot happier ☺

Back
Top Bottom