Ball Sup Blog... SUFC Academy U23 v Coventry City

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ball_Sup (Phil)

Reaction score
In Case You Missed It
The U23s are at home on Tuesday 5 October at The Lane at 1pm. Free for Season Ticket Holders. £3 for Adults. £1 Concessions.
The Carrier Bag Firm will NOT be repping I'm afraid. We left Bournemouth this morning & we go on the International Break to Andorra v England tomorrow.

Not seen anything , but on sofascore say we won 2-1, brunt and slater, can anyone confirm

Yes we did.

1-0 down at half time. Was a really good game in fairness. To say we have a lot of our better u23s out/on loan they're performing well again.

Saw the 2nd half on youtube. Great stuff - end to end but thought we edged it. Nice to see us attacking with pace. The work rate was incredible too - they looked shattered at the end.

(as been said) The excellent @ sufcdevelopment Twitter feed, provided by the club & run by a journalist who attends all Academy games & knows his stuff, provides very frequent in-game updates, pictures & often video clips from Academy games.

Just in case anyone is all ..... oooohhhh don't use Twitter, it's evil - it's just a webpage lads. A set of morse code blits & blots zinging around the airwaves.

www.twitter.com/sufcdevelopment

For me i just looked on app, at u23’s section and nothing, didnt look on twitter hence my ill informed comments

Nipped over the the Lane to watch this, great game I thought, good quality.
Utd were excellent in the second half - Oliver Arblaster looks a talent. Good games also from Gordon, Brunt and Capello.

What position is young Arblaster? I used to work with his Dad.

Utd were excellent in the second half - Oliver Arblaster looks a talent. Good games also from Gordon, Brunt and Capello.
Oliver Arblaster is a wonderful name - like someone out of the past, playing with William 'Fatty' Foulkes or 'Nudger'Needham.

Ky Gordon must be the most chilled footballer since Shane Nicholson. Hope he can do it as part of a back 4 as he always impresses.

Enjoyed seeing Capello back in an attacking role, another skilful player.

At the end it look like our number 18 (I think it was 18 - Lankshear? ) suffered a pretty nasty (yet accidental) stamp on his arm. Did anyone see it or know how he is? His reaction suggested it was broken.

I watched the last 30 mins on YouTube very entertaining, shame I didn't realise earlier, I would have also gone down.
Any reason Lopata didn't play?

How often do we play our first teamers in u23 games?

Seems Coventry had a few today.
Rarely. Mousset had a couple of games recently. Brewster could probably do with a few if he's not getting first team minutes.

Once our development players are ready they get sent out on loan and rarely go back to the U23s.

They all looked good, however late on when Brunt was struggling to keep up with their man and then failed to take him out - he looked like a young Oliver Norwood!!

What position is young Arblaster? I used to work with his Dad.
He played left midfield today, also looked good in a central position at times. Very young, lightweight but a great touch and good vision. Not afraid to put a challenge in too. I think someone has already likened him a little to David Brooks (might have been Ball-Sup?).
I guess he could play wider too and, as he develops, maybe the 'no 10' role.....maybe.
Not going to make any judgements on how far he would be from the first team - quite far I suppose - but I will enjoy watchig him in the U23's when I can this season and hopefully he'll develop.

Ky Gordon must be the most chilled footballer since Shane Nicholson. Hope he can do it as part of a back 4 as he always impresses.

Enjoyed seeing Capello back in an attacking role, another skilful player.

At the end it look like our number 18 (I think it was 18 - Lankshear? ) suffered a pretty nasty (yet accidental) stamp on his arm. Did anyone see it or know how he is? His reaction suggested it was broken.
I hung around at the end to see if I could tell what had happened when he came off. I thought he might have dislocated his shoulder at first.
After 3 or 4 mins treatment he walked off smiling with Hecky, so I think he'll be OK. He was still holding his arm though, so might miss training for a few days.

Centremid think he played as the sitter for the 18s but played slightly more advanced today.
He did spend a lot of tie centre mid. All seemed quite flexible in there today with him, Brunt and Slater (more left side) - which was nice to see.
Didn't realise he played deeper for the 18's. Looks good going forwards.

Rarely. Mousset had a couple of games recently. Brewster could probably do with a few if he's not getting first team minutes.

Once our development players are ready they get sent out on loan and rarely go back to the U23s.
Coventry started well and looked physically stornger than us.
I was going to try and check their average age compared to ours, I did think a few first tea squad players were playing today for them. Robins was there watching.
I thought we were superb in the secind half though and they couldn't match our one touch stuff, we caused a good U23 team loads of problems.

He did spend a lot of tie centre mid. All seemed quite flexible in there today with him, Brunt and Slater (more left side) - which was nice to see.
Didn't realise he played deeper for the 18's. Looks good going forwards.
Yeah obviously slater and brunt are the two senior players in there but arblaster has real ability at just 16. Him, Maguire and peck all at 16/17 have the potential to be a pretty decent crop at centremid. In addition to those lads there’s also brooks who I think is an exciting player to watch

Yeah obviously slater and brunt are the two senior players in there but arblaster has real ability at just 16. Him, Maguire and peck all at 16/17 have the potential to be a pretty decent crop at centremid. In addition to those lads there’s also brooks who I think is an exciting player to watch
I like Brooks, got a good eye for goal.
Trying not to think too much about whether they'll progress or not - some will, some will fade. It is just nice to be able to go and watch some great young talent coming through. They all seem commited, all trying their best to forge a career, at whatever level. Good luck to them.
Considering the loanees out now, Lopata not playing, and the likes of Lankshear too (another 16 year old?), great to see a few more stepping up to the 23's and doing well.
Heckingbottom, Lester and Geary etc seem to be doing a sterling job.

Arblaster is now 17 and still a second year scholar. Maguire is now 18.

Back
Top Bottom