So, what has gone wrong?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
Let's have a look at what we've done, what we do and what we do wrong now. I've taken the time to draw some diagrams - they aren't 'official' or anything to do with the club, simply a 'My take ... ' supplementary, based on my observations. To that end, if you disagree, fine. But if you respond like a cunt, be prepared to be treat like a cunt. This subject is about Sheffield United and their failings this season, not me or my moniker at the end of each post.

Firstly, the expected, idealised Wilder line up. It's been like this for four or five seasons now, just swapping out player for player as transfers have allowed. It has to be said that if Wilder could still play and rely on the Div One winning side with some additions like JOC, he'd probably play it next match. No one transferred in since we have come up to the PL has effectively concreted their name into key positions in his 5-3-2.

SUFC Tactics Basic Lineup 5-3-2 v 3-4-3.JPG

So with a 'preferred' 5-3-2, 2020-21 (with JOC injured for the rest of the season but with Berge) it looks a little like this, when facing a Leicester/Everton type 3-4-3. This is making assumptions that Norwood and Fleck are playing okay and Stevens is in his preferred role of LWB, and Didsy and McPub up front.

Our idealised attacking formation and strategy is to overload the flanks and exploit numerical advantage, confusing defences and committing teams into areas of unfamiliarity. In short, making your game unpredictable and exploiting space (which my erstwhile, venerable footballing coach told me was two essential elements of successful football. If you go by first principles, he is bang on the fucking nose with both.

SUFC Tactics Attacking the Flanks 5-3-2 v 3-4-3.JPG

I've got Stevens in his advanced role here (thought it could be JOC or Robinson) supported by Fleck and advancing players for outside the box. Teams used to find this quick bomb up the wing so difficult to deal with, especially as there were loads of passing options and permutations, including hitting either McPub on the near stick, Didsy for second ball or an advancing Baldock on the far stick. Defending teams needed to be either well disciplined to not ball watch or simply prevent our players giving the ball carrier options to pass and move. This was 'either wing' so up this near side Baldock, Basham and Lundstram/Berge would be just as active and dynamic and we scored many goals and chances from these moves. Hardly nothing came from the centre of the park, when you think about it. It did ... think about it ... rely on the wide players getting their foot around the ball and sending in a decent cross, low and pacey, mid-height to nick off someone or seven to eight foot off the grass for someone to climb and nod in.

SUFC Tactics Block In 5-3-2 v 3-4-3.JPG

This season, it's different. Teams now deploy a far better understanding of our threat and move four players across the pitch to hem us into that affected touchline and either move the threat up or back down toward our goal, back to Ramsdale or up the other flank where we get the same treatment. From what I observe, the four 'pressers' cut off passing lanes and prevent our players advancing completely. We can't connect, we can't exploit space and our strategy becomes predictable. Because we can't advance, McPub and Didsy are pulled toward the ball to create options and overload and the threat in the box is now devoid. The ball at the feet of a striker outside the box is not a chance. Once opposing teams have us pinned into the areas shown by the dotted lines - the Dead Zone - Sheffield United are themselves dead. Once also we are there and being pressed, we lack the confidence to hang onto the ball and eventually either fuck it up into touch or lose the initiative and surrender possession. So many times we have done this this season.

SUFC Tactics Change of Possession 5-3-2 v 3-4-3.JPG

So now we are reeling back. I have shown this as though we have attacked on this near flank through Baldock, Basham and Berge but for the other flank see Robinson, Stevens and Fleck. Our midfield does one thing and one thing only. It forms a three man line across the pitch. So many goals have been given away like this, including the second one on Saturday. This three man line is neither quick nor dynamic. It just 'lines up' and backpedals with space opening up to the opposing midfield. No-one goes out to challenge, tackle or move the ball carrier wide (or backwards) - or even win the fucking ball back. It's just 'full retreat', so that the advanced defenders can get behind and defend. As seen, the passing lanes are wide open (because the midfield is overwhelmed) and the initiative is firmly theirs to fuck up. Watch how Man City deal with this change over in possession and how we do it. Manchester United's third goal was almost entirely this movement. We lost it on the far flank traying to attack, ten seconds later is was under Ramsdale's body. The midfield - outnumbered and out flanked - were completely useless.

SUFC Tactics Defending 5-3-2 v 3-4-3.JPG

Whilst defending, we are static and don't challenge the opposition. We either have to rely on Didsy coming deep to do the spadework and either gain possession or retain possession and we simply don't move about enough or anticipate better to cut out passing lanes and opportunities. Although Basham put in what some consider a crap header for the Everton goal (DCL was right behind hi and he was at full stretch to stop it going over him and landing at DCLs feet) we failed to jockey key players and simply make it difficult for the likes of Siggurdsson to one two and get into a scoring opportunity. Yes, Norwood. Once again I am looking at you. He was in this position for their goal. received a return pass and Norwood simply ran alongside him. He's good at that is Norwood. Very good.

Eventually our midfield plays so deep, we morph into an 8-2 system

SUFC Tactics 8-2 Formation 5-3-2 v 3-4-3.JPG

where we are sat so retracted the midfield practically merges with the back five and the opposition midfield has free rein to pass across and back our central and final third with impunity. This becomes the 'it's only a matter of time before they score' system, because they've got so many opportunities to pass and cross (Southampton is a good example) and so much space in front of goal to one-two and be faced with Ramsdale. And, our front two might as well just fuck off for a bath. Didsy becomes our only outlet if we manage to regain possession and then only with a mighty hoof out to the flanks, and usually when we've endured this fucking nightmare for any length of time, the midfield is so shit scared to take the ball out that our back three or goalkeeper just boots it onto McPub's swede. And because he has no players round him for the second ball, it goes to their players and they are back up the pitch again and pinning us into the 8-2 around our box.

That is where I feel we are going wrong. Our play is too predictable, our midfield is weak and outnumbered and in defence we are too submissive.

Does this chime with anyone? Anyone agree, or see anything different? Anyone have any ideas how to change this? What would you do?

pommpey

Last edited:

To put it simply.
The players lack quality, and many lack mobility which can lessen the requirement for that quality.

The reality is, that reality has set in.
A terrific first season back at this level was the outlier, people seemed to forget all footballing logic as a result.

Guys like Fleck, Stevens, Norwood, Mcgoldrick, Baldock etc etc looked great for 1 season at this level.....
But there's a reason they've spend the previous 10 seasons not playing at this level.

To put it simply.
The players lack quality, and many lack mobility which can lessen the requirement for that quality.

The reality is, that reality has set in.
A terrific first season back at this level was the outlier, people seemed to forget all footballing logic as a result.

Guys like Fleck, Stevens, Norwood, Mcgoldrick, Baldock etc etc looked great for 1 season at this level.....
But there's a reason they've spend the previous 10 seasons not playing at this level.
They should have enough quality to get more then 2 points by January 2021. Yes we are bereft of technicality but if we are supposed to believe that these are the champs finest we should be able to put a fight up at the bottom end of the table. I refuse to believe that this colossal drop off is purely our players returning to their level.

They should have enough quality to get more then 2 points by January 2021. Yes we are bereft of technicality but if we are supposed to believe that these are the champs finest we should be able to put a fight up at the bottom end of the table. I refuse to believe that this colossal drop off is purely our players returning to their level.

But you're willing to believe that their colossal improvement for 12 months was 'their level'.

Let's have a look at what we've done, what we do and what we do wrong now. I've taken the time to draw some diagrams - they aren't 'official' or anything to do with the club, simply a 'My take ... ' supplementary, based on my observations. To that end, if you disagree, fine. But if you respond like a cunt, be prepared to be treat like a cunt. This subject is about Sheffield United and their failings this season, not me or my moniker at the end of each post.

Firstly, the expected, idealised Wilder line up. It's been like this for four or five seasons now, just swapping out player for player as transfers have allowed. It has to be said that if Wilder could still play and rely on the Div One winning side with some additions like JOC, he'd probably play it next match. No one transferred in since we have come up to the PL has effectively concreted their name into key positions in his 5-3-2.

View attachment 102033

So with a 'preferred' 5-3-2, 2020-21 (with JOC injured for the rest of the season but with Berge) it looks a little like this, when facing a Leicester/Everton type 3-4-3. This is making assumptions that Norwood and Fleck are playing okay and Stevens is in his preferred role of LWB, and Didsy and McPub up front.

Our idealised attacking formation and strategy is to overload the flanks and exploit numerical advantage, confusing defences and committing teams into areas of unfamiliarity. In short, making your game unpredictable and exploiting space (which my erstwhile, venerable footballing coach told me was two essential elements of successful football. If you go by first principles, he is bang on the fucking nose with both.

View attachment 102037

I've got Stevens in his advanced role here (thought it could be JOC or Robinson) supported by Fleck and advancing players for outside the box. Teams used to find this quick bomb up the wing so difficult to deal with, especially as there were loads of passing options and permutations, including hitting either McPub on the near stick, Didsy for second ball or an advancing Baldock on the far stick. Defending teams needed to be either well disciplined to not ball watch or simply prevent our players giving the ball carrier options to pass and move. This was 'either wing' so up this near side Baldock, Basham and Lundstram/Berge would be just as active and dynamic and we scored many goals and chances from these moves. Hardly nothing came from the centre of the park, when you think about it. It did ... think about it ... rely on the wide players getting their foot around the ball and sending in a decent cross, low and pacey, mid-height to nick off someone or seven to eight foot off the grass for someone to climb and nod in.

View attachment 102038

This season, it's different. Teams now deploy a far better understanding of our threat and move four players across the pitch to hem us into that affected touchline and either move the threat up or back down toward our goal, back to Ramsdale or up the other flank where we get the same treatment. From what I observe, the four 'pressers' cut off passing lanes and prevent our players advancing completely. We can't connect, we can't exploit space and our strategy becomes predictable. Because we can't advance, McPub and Didsy are pulled toward the ball to create options and overload and the threat in the box is now devoid. The ball at the feet of a striker outside the box is not a chance. Once opposing teams have us pinned into the areas shown by the dotted lines - the Dead Zone - Sheffield United are themselves dead. Once also we are there and being pressed, we lack the confidence to hang onto the ball and eventually either fuck it up into touch or lose the initiative and surrender possession. So many times we have done this this season.

View attachment 102040

So now we are reeling back. I have shown this as though we have attacked on this near flank through Baldock, Basham and Berge but for the other flank see Robinson, Stevens and Fleck. Our midfield does one thing and one thing only. It forms a three man line across the pitch. So many goals have been given away like this, including the second one on Saturday. This three man line is neither quick nor dynamic. It just 'lines up' and backpedals with space opening up to the opposing midfield. No-one goes out to challenge, tackle or move the ball carrier wide (or backwards) - or even win the fucking ball back. It's just 'full retreat', so that the advanced defenders can get behind and defend. As seen, the passing lanes are wide open (because the midfield is overwhelmed) and the initiative is firmly theirs to fuck up. Watch how Man City deal with this change over in possession and how we do it. Manchester United's third goal was almost entirely this movement. We lost it on the far flank traying to attack, ten seconds later is was under Ramsdale's body. The midfield - outnumbered and out flanked - were completely useless.

View attachment 102041

Whilst defending, we are static and don't challenge the opposition. We either have to rely on Didsy coming deep to do the spadework and either gain possession or retain possession and we simply don't move about enough or anticipate better to cut out passing lanes and opportunities. Although Basham put in what some consider a crap header for the Everton goal (DCL was right behind hi and he was at full stretch to stop it going over him and landing at DCLs feet) we failed to jockey key players and simply make it difficult for the likes of Siggurdsson to one two and get into a scoring opportunity. Yes, Norwood. Once again I am looking at you. He was in this position for their goal. received a return pass and Norwood simply ran alongside him. He's good at that is Norwood. Very good.

View attachment 102044

where we are sat so retracted the midfield practically merges with the back five and the opposition midfield has free rein to pass across and back our central and final third with impunity. This becomes the 'it's only a matter of time before they score' system, because they've got so many opportunities to pass and cross (Southampton is a good example) and so much space in front of goal to one-two and be faced with Ramsdale. And, our front two might as well just fuck off for a bath. Didsy becomes our only outlet if we manage to regain possession and then only with a mighty hoof out to the flanks, and usually when we've endured this fucking nightmare for any length of time, the midfield is so shit scared to take the ball out that our back three or goalkeeper just boots it onto McPub's swede. And because he has no players round him for the second ball, it goes to their players and they are back up the pitch again and pinning us into the 8-2 around our box.

That is where I feel we are going wrong. Our play is too predictable, our midfield is weak and outnumbered and in defence we are too submissive.

Does this chime with anyone? Anyone agree, or see anything different? Anyone have any ideas how to change this? What would you do?

pommpey
Very decent post mate, being a visual learner I really like the pics.

I think you have summed up our problems pretty well, but I think the overlapping full backs/centre backs can still work for us.

The biggest problem is undoubtedly the midfield, though our keeper/defence has had problems most of the season as well.

One question. Alan Shearer stated again on motd yesterday that our problem is we don't put crosses into the box despite having numerous chances to do so. He said the same as the game against Man C that we will score if we put more crosses in.

It's a simple view and doesn't take into account our strikers ability to put the ball in the net, but it suggests that we are either scared to cross or don't bother because no one gets on it any way. Do you agree with Shearer or not?

View attachment 102033

View attachment 102037

View attachment 102038

View attachment 102040

View attachment 102041

View attachment 102044

pommpey
Wow get a life too much time on your hands and while you’re at it get players names right rather than being a disrespectful little prick!

When you have half the team who are up to PL standard you are in trouble.
Keep the My Veiw going Pompey it’s a decent read

Telly broke? Missus fucked off? What mate?
We're not fukin worth that amount of effort.
Just chill and accept it.

Really?

Okay. There are other teams you can support, you know. One up at S6.

pommpey

View attachment 102033

View attachment 102037

View attachment 102038

View attachment 102040

View attachment 102041

View attachment 102044

pommpey
Your derogatory, funny and oh so sadly accurate descriptive of our marmite number 9 tells its own story.

His absence from the side can not continue long enough for me.

UTB

Bad luck, Covid19, Too many haven't turned up, Too many thought it was easy, Lack of investment. I'll stop there.

But you're willing to believe that their colossal improvement for 12 months was 'their level'.
Personally I think it was pretty obvious we'd massively overachieved last season. But I will say I feel the players are much better than were seeing, and I'd argue that even with the acquisitions we've bought this season we should 100 percent not be sat on 2 points. It's blatantly obvious (and has been for some time) that the formation isn't working any longer.

Not at all, I expected a flirt with relegation this season but atleast put up a fight and look capable of running like an athlete. Our players even in bad patches of form within all the different divisions we have played have never looked as bad as they do now. Their norm is 100% better then the cataclysmic 2 points out of 60 we are getting dished up.

I think we all know whats gone wrong its not rocket science
1 - A big drop off in players form not only one player but seven or eight
2 - PL teams have eventually got used to how we play along with No 1 makes it very very difficult
3 - Injury to JOC is a huge loss not only defensively but to the way we play
4 - No fans in grounds
5 - The players brought in have been dissapointing in their performances but have not been helped
by No 1 the team not functioning as last season
6 - We should be able to alter tactics / formation which we sometimes do in games but the players up until lockdown were very comfortable in the preferred system

You're spot on with your assessment.
Yesterday, I thought we were playing with 5 Right Wingers. Hodgson simply matched the overload, and we couldn't get near the 18 yard box.

Very decent post mate, being a visual learner I really like the pics.

I think you have summed up our problems pretty well, but I think the overlapping full backs/centre backs can still work for us.

The biggest problem is undoubtedly the midfield, though our keeper/defence has had problems most of the season as well.

One question. Alan Shearer stated again on motd yesterday that our problem is we don't put crosses into the box despite having numerous chances to do so. He said the same as the game against Man C that we will score if we put more crosses in.

It's a simple view and doesn't take into account our strikers ability to put the ball in the net, but it suggests that we are either scared to cross or don't bother because no one gets on it any way. Do you agree with Shearer or not?
Taking it to the extreme, some of the old style managers of the past would say that the more times the ball was in the penalty area the more chances, and in theory more goals.

I'm not suggesting kick and rush football, but perhaps there is some logic in what Shearer has said. Generally you aren't scoring goals 35 yards plus from the opponents goal.

View attachment 102033

View attachment 102037

View attachment 102038

View attachment 102040

View attachment 102041

View attachment 102044

pommpey
Appreciate the effort you've gone to here Pommpey.

Pretty much bang on the money. I think we can get by just about with Robinson at LCB but the midfield has been the problem too much. Either too negative, toothless or just not good enough.

Really?

Okay. There are other teams you can support, you know. One up at S6.

pommpey
Why single out them? Have I triggered your 'pig alert' radar?
Honestly, you fukin wax lyrical week in week out, and why? You admit yourself on numerous posts, you're tired of stating the bleeding obvious re our failings. So don't, no one (including yourself if you're honest) gets any relief or solace from over scrutiny of shite. It is what it is, no amount of hand wringing or home spun 'takes' on what we need to do makes a jot of difference. As I said, chill, accept we're currently shit and give it a rest. It'll do you good trust me.

Why single out them? Have I triggered your 'pig alert' radar?
Honestly, you fukin wax lyrical week in week out, and why? You admit yourself on numerous posts, you're tired of stating the bleeding obvious re our failings. So don't, no one (including yourself if you're honest) gets any relief or solace from over scrutiny of shite. It is what it is, no amount of hand wringing or home spun 'takes' on what we need to do makes a jot of difference. As I said, chill, accept we're currently shit and give it a rest. It'll do you good trust me.

Om your say so? Hardly.

If you're too lazy or to resigned to our fate then so be it. I don't really give two shits. You shouldn't either, nor give two about be posting my views on some dark corner of the internet. If you see 'My Take ... ' simply scroll past and ignore. Click on one that says 'Aren't we fucking shit, and I don't care?' or better still, make one yourself.

Seems to me, like all the paperboys who do their best to close down opinion, you just don't have the potatoes to do such a thing. I'm not sure why you even come on here.

pommpey

Last edited:

Far too much detail Pompey for me. I think the failure of the entire left flank is the root of our problem.
JOC injured and Stevens and Fleck woefully out of form has unhinged our team.
To fair to Baldock and Basham they have been ok’ish at times but carried the burden of being the outlet in our system.
I still think better service on balanced flanks would have produced more goals.
Keep the faith

Back
Top Bottom