CONFIRMED Slaviša Jokanović

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Could it be an idea that Jags is a coach like Scott Parker was at Fulham with him eventually taking over?

Could be an idea but not sure I would want a rookie manager taking over halfway through a relegation battle....

But the club haven’t actually said it?
it was reported that the board had told wilder that 40m had to be raised from transfers before any new players came in and i can believe that most clubs that get relegated sell 3 or 4 of their best assets think berge and egan are certs to be sold and possibly a couple more as well as half a dozen being released

It was reported by The Athletic (only) and widely repeated on this forum by those who had an account with The Athletic and then mentioned a lot by those who didn't.
That's virtually the same as being said by the club - isn't it?
It were on't internet, must be true! My issue with this report is that it is fairly logical that some top earners will have to be sold or some top players will be snatched up when we're relegated, it's completely normal, so even if the story is completely fabricated, it's likely that several players will go and near enough that amount will be raised before we start to bring players in. Everyone will say that the report was true and that the Athletic are ITK.
I'm sceptical, but then I'm sceptical about everything. 🤷‍♂️

Another problem might arise in the recruitment policy,Jokanovic likes control of who comes in,he already had one big battle at Fulham to get control from a DOF and get his players in rather than who the club decided to foist on him,so whatever the club told Wilder about recruitment,they are going to have to convince Jokanovic that his input is going to be big and valued,which may be a bit different to what Wilder got told.
Interesting point.

However I didn't read PA's interview as this end of the spectrum on transfers

Wilder was one extreme, seemingly wanted full control of recruitment. Whereas from brief reading, I'm led to believe it was the other end of the spectrum at Fulham where recruitment was through DOF / board and manager had little involvement

I got the feeling PA wanted compromise / input / collaboration / flexibility on recruitment, which I'd suggest was pretty common place and a much better model than either of the extremes?

Don't see this as a stumbling block as I'd wager no other manager in the top couple of leagues would have had the control Wilder had / wanted.

One other point is that he's "expensive"... Again not sure that's an issue, if we take tabloids as gospel we're to believe Wilder was on 80k / week and SJ wants 40k? In one fell swoop you've potentially taken couple of million quid off the wage bill?

Last edited:
IMO if we're getting Jokanovic we're going for it next season. Not too many will be sold and we'll make additions. Shit or bust and to be honest there's never been a better time to do it.

Many clubs will be financially fucked and the division is hardly throbbing with talented teams. Even if we have to sell a couple and raise some cash, we should (touch wood) be in much healthier shape than most other Championship clubs.

Play offs a minimum. Although we know how they turn out.

I understand what you are saying and apologise for the tone of my reply but I understand that it was a direct quote from an inside source at bdtbl

I’ve seen the thread that you’re talking about. As far as I’m aware there’s been nothing from the club saying we need to raise ‘X’ amount of money.
Well,time will tell.Whoever the club approaches will be asking questions on that subject,so whether it's true or not will maybe make or break a potential managers decision to come or not.

I’ve seen the thread that you’re talking about. As far as I’m aware there’s been nothing from the club saying we need to raise ‘X’ amount of money.
Spot on LJ Blade nothing at all from the club (officially) just guess work.
There is change with every club relegated it will happen with us! We have to make the squad better that is a task the new management team have to tackle

Many clubs will be financially fucked and the division is hardly throbbing with talented teams. Even if we have to sell a couple and raise some cash, we should (touch wood) be in much healthier shape than most other Championship clubs.

Play offs a minimum. Although we know how they turn out.
Lucks got to change sometime 😁

It were on't internet, must be true! My issue with this report is that it is fairly logical that some top earners will have to be sold or some top players will be snatched up when we're relegated, it's completely normal, so even if the story is completely fabricated, it's likely that several players will go and near enough that amount will be raised before we start to bring players in. Everyone will say that the report was true and that the Athletic are ITK.
I'm sceptical, but then I'm sceptical about everything. 🤷‍♂️
It's in the press so obviously there is going to be speculation to it's accuracy. What we do know is our board favour The Athletic and have given them exclusives from their perspective must to the annoyance of local journalists who bitch and moan about it (after being quite happy to be CW mouthpiece).
Independently people with supposedly close links to the board like Darren Smith and our very own Mr Phipps have suggested The Athletic as being a reliable and trusted source.
It doesn't mean they'll always be 100% right, it just means they have links and sources at board level who are feeding them information.
We also know local journo's like Biggs and James Shield feel their noses have been put out of joint so it's fair to assume they aren't considered trusted sources by the board.

Why would the board come out and say that? What benefit would it provide for that to be officially confirmed that we need a bit of a fire sale?
All it would do is negatively impact the money being offered.

Why would the board come out and say that? What benefit would it provide for that to be officially confirmed that we need a bit of a fire sale?
All it would do is negatively impact the money being offered.

Exactly. The Athletic have made claims about what the club have apparently said but how would they know. The club wouldn’t tell them because they have no reason to.

The article just seemed like guesswork to me. There’s going to be some changes as that’s what happens with every relegated team.

Exactly. The Athletic have made claims about what the club have apparently said but how would they know. The club wouldn’t tell them because they have no reason to.

The article just seemed like guesswork to me. There’s going to be some changes as that’s what happens with every relegated team.
Actually I can see a reason why you'd allow the Press to report it to get it out to fans and set expectations but you wouldn't want a board member making it official by formally claiming it. Given the stick they took around Wilder walking, and the reasons he gave for that, all they've done it highlight what they believe is the situation so fans are aware. It's not a full overhaul or fire sale, but some sales are needed and of course if they settle for less than £40M and still strengthen then we'll all think they're going for it.
Based on nothing aside from that I honestly believe this was given to The Athletic deliberately, I think we're likely to be looking at needing closer to £30M of sales and they're looking to over deliver and be the nice owners they want to be seen as.

Last edited:
Actually I can see a reason why you'd allow the Press to report it to get it out to fans and set expectations but you wouldn't want a board member making it official by formally claiming it. Given the stick they took around Wilder walking, and the reasons he gave for that, all they've done it highlight what they believe is the situation so fans are aware. It's not a full overhaul or fire sale, but some sales are needed and of course if they settle for less than £40M and still strengthen then we'll all think they're going for it.
Based on nothing aside from that I honestly believe this was given to The Athletic deliberately, I think we're likely to be looking at needing closer to £30M of sales and they're looking to over deliver and be the nice owners they want to be seen as.
i think youve got it spot on there bob i think the club have deliberately leaked this to the athletic to get our fans ready for 2 or 3 sales which in any case every relegated club invariably has to do so in any case isnt suprising news you never know we might just get away with selling berge and egan along with 4 or 5 that will be released gonna be an interesting summer to see who goes out and who comes in

It's in the press so obviously there is going to be speculation to it's accuracy. What we do know is our board favour The Athletic and have given them exclusives from their perspective must to the annoyance of local journalists who bitch and moan about it (after being quite happy to be CW mouthpiece).
Independently people with supposedly close links to the board like Darren Smith and our very own Mr Phipps have suggested The Athletic as being a reliable and trusted source.
It doesn't mean they'll always be 100% right, it just means they have links and sources at board level who are feeding them information.
We also know local journo's like Biggs and James Shield feel their noses have been put out of joint so it's fair to assume they aren't considered trusted sources by the board.
Do you really beleave the board are passing on information to the Athletic and totally ignoring local sources?.
Rather short sighted of the board really as most fans are local and ignoring local journos would be a bit silly.

Do you really beleave the board are passing on information to the Athletic and totally ignoring local sources?.
Rather short sighted of the board really as most fans are local and ignoring local journos would be a bit silly.
Yes I do, given the biased coverage of those local journalists and I think it's totally understandable.
Biggs in particular was seriously steering up ill feeling and put out content like that letter from a random ex-employee loyal to McCabe which did nothing but twist the knife at a difficult time. I didn't and don't have an issue with them being close to Wilder, it game them some great content and insight from one side of the argument, but some of the stuff they happily put out without any balance or even handedness just to attack and undermine the board means there are repercussions.
The lad from the Examiner seems to have a source though, so it's not all local journalists and I think your view of where fans get their information is a little outdated.

Yes I do, given the biased coverage of those local journalists and I think it's totally understandable.
Biggs in particular was seriously steering up ill feeling and put out content like that letter from a random ex-employee loyal to McCabe which did nothing but twist the knife at a difficult time. I didn't and don't have an issue with them being close to Wilder, it game them some great content and insight from one side of the argument, but some of the stuff they happily put out without any balance or even handedness just to attack and undermine the board means there are repercussions.
The lad from the Examiner seems to have a source though, so it's not all local journalists and I think your view of where fans get their information is a little outdated.
It's just guess work no one is going to own up to being a leek so time will tell.
Still think it would be foolish to throw the local journos under a bus.

It's just guess work no one is going to own up to being a leek so time will tell.
Totally but why would you give them anything which helps them if they are looking to stick the knife in and undermine you? Reporting what Chris was telling them is totally fair and of course they should do that, even though I don’t think he was particularly undermined or harshly treated. But there was no counter. No highlighting the money he had spent and not got return from which was driving the discussions around removing some of the total control he had. It seemed that they stopped providing reports on Sheffield United and become part of CWs propaganda drive. You do that and the club are going to think twice about giving you anything, and there’s much better alternatives than the Star and Biggs for getting your story out.

I wouldn’t admit to being any kind of vegetable. No one cares about local journalists anymore. Whether you agree with it or not, that’s the reality. It matters if you’re Matlock Town, or even Rochdale, as you get very little National press but PL and Championship clubs get good coverage, there isn’t much in The Star about us or the pigs that you can’t read elsewhere.

yes i do as well

It's a bit... noticeable though if you think about it.. When was the last time the star actually reported actual news regards the blades? (That isn't regurgitated)

EDIT
I don't agree with the "short sighted" comment either, most supporters I know find the star absolutely laughable. The local journos certainly ignored the other side of the story when Wilder left.. Maybe the prince isn't as forgiving as they'd thought?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom