CONFIRMED Slaviša Jokanović

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He doesn't though does he?
The press is much harder than Barnsley tend to use, so he looks to turn over possession in the final third. Barnsley look to turnover possession and then transition as quickly as possible from back to front. It's incredibly direct, and likely to be found out I'd suggest next season and effectively countered.
This Barnsley moneyball thing just sounds to me exactly what Bassett did thirty years ago, but with spreadsheets.

This Barnsley moneyball thing just sounds to me exactly what Bassett did thirty years ago, but with spreadsheets.
It’s odd how Barnsley and Brentford have adopted a moneyball approach and one has settled on an ultra attacking on the deck style creating almost unlimited chances for the strikers and the other has settled on hoof.

It’s odd how Barnsley and Brentford have adopted a moneyball approach and one has settled on an ultra attacking on the deck style creating almost unlimited chances for the strikers and the other has settled on hoof.
I suppose Barnsley might be more likely to have followed the Brentford model if it had actually got them promoted. My gut feeling is that technically gifted players are still more expensive than athletic players with some technical limitations, hence my Bassett reference. A style of play that works without needing 11 technically good players possibly gives better value for money.

Conversely, you’re likely to make more profit selling on technical players to PL clubs, which is probably where Benham is coming from with the Brentford model. He probably also thinks they’ll need to sign fewer players if they get promoted as he’ll expect the majority to be able to step up.

I’m not sure there’s a right or wrong way, providing the theories are executed properly.

I suppose Barnsley might be more likely to have followed the Brentford model if it had actually got them promoted. My gut feeling is that technically gifted players are still more expensive than athletic players with some technical limitations, hence my Bassett reference. A style of play that works without needing 11 technically good players possibly gives better value for money.

Conversely, you’re likely to make more profit selling on technical players to PL clubs, which is probably where Benham is coming from with the Brentford model. He probably also thinks they’ll need to sign fewer players if they get promoted as he’ll expect the majority to be able to step up.

I’m not sure there’s a right or wrong way, providing the theories are executed properly.
Yeah like you’d say the only difference is the difficulty in transition to a higher level.

Yeah like you’d say the only difference is the difficulty in transition to a higher level.
Until you think back to the Arsenal defence shitting themselves every time Rory Delap had a throw in.

I agree with your point btw - but hoof can have some form of success in the PL if operated effectively. The 'big boys don't like it up 'em' approach has a ring of truth to it, but you need some quality in your side as well. I guess Burnley would be the blueprint.

I think the problem with hoof tends to be when things go wrong. Fans tolerate hoof when it gets results, but its pretty crap when you're losing - one of the reasons Blackwell got the shove I think.

Until you think back to the Arsenal defence shitting themselves every time Rory Delap had a throw in.

I agree with your point btw - but hoof can have some form of success in the PL if operated effectively. The 'big boys don't like it up 'em' approach has a ring of truth to it, but you need some quality in your side as well. I guess Burnley would be the blueprint.

I think the problem with hoof tends to be when things go wrong. Fans tolerate hoof when it gets results, but its pretty crap when you're losing - one of the reasons Blackwell got the shove I think.
Yeah I think you’re pretty spot on Burnley would be the most pragmatic prem side but even they aren’t hoof head tennis like Barnsley currently are those players at Burnley can really play with a few electric players like McNeil.

I think 5-10 years ago you could truly hoof it in the prem and have success but the new German high intensity style of play negates it somewhat as even the top teams now will work as hard as you the days of getting by on technical ability as old like arsenal used to do are over.

And yeah ultimately we watch football to be entertained now that can be forgotten when teams are winning but once that’s over then restlessness sets in quickly with hoof.

Moneyball has nothing to do with style of play.
That’s true it’s about maximising market inefficiencies but Brentford seem to have identified that strikers are a market inefficiency in that you can buy low put them in a good system and sell incredibly high. Whereas Barnsley are almost playing percentage football on the field.

The sequence of events you state wrt Blessin can't be correct B4. Due diligence including engaging intermediaries can and may have taken place but the club can't speak to the contracted individual without the agreement of the club. I'm sure that it does indeed happen practice but the club would be running a risk by doing so
I've no idea mate but I would imagine that the fact Blessin has liked us on Instagram must be due to contact between us and him, I would assume that we haven't broken any rules to do so, or it's a case of it happens and it's just accepted. We've not heard of them objecting to anything yet, but maybe Oosetnde have been approached also.

I tried to look up the latest odds for the next manager and all I found was an article on oddschecker from 34 days ago

It seems that no one gives a shit who our next manager is

Apparently John Terry second favourite! I very much doubt that he's even in consideration.

I tried to look up the latest odds for the next manager and all I found was an article on oddschecker from 34 days ago

It seems that no one gives a shit who our next manager is
I have also noticed this 🤣🤣

Slav's having a bad time like us at the moment, his results dont read so well either.....

Attachments

• 20210417_225038.jpg
    20210417_225038.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 72

A Blade I follow on Twitter* reckons he's heard from a mate in the know that Jokanovic has the job.

*yep, usual caveats and all that.
I personally hope so, as he is my No.1 from the lists that Ive seen.

Also hope that now we have the 'R' next to our name that this happens sooner rather than later.

Jokanovic is a born winner when it comes to promotions. That probably means we will be looking at someone completely different.
Not exactly had a sparkling run with his current side though, and why is a "born winner" been snubbed for 2 seasons by very ambitious Championship clubs?
Where he does makes sense is if Howe isn't interested, and we're going for it in S1, while then looking to someone like Blessin for S2 or 3 regardless.

A Blade I follow on Twitter* reckons he's heard from a mate in the know that Jokanovic has the job.

I've followed him for ages as well and he's definitely not one to make things up for attention that's for sure.

If that's what he's been told then the only way it's not true is if the person who told him is making it up or has been misinformed.

His Watford and Fulham teams have absolutely nothing in common with the state of us and our players at the minute. If he’s going to succeed there’s a huge rebuild in order, and it won’t be instant. If it’s true we need to make up £40m in sales before we even think about buying players then I fear the worst if this happens.

I've followed him for ages as well and he's definitely not one to make things up for attention that's for sure.

If that's what he's been told then the only way it's not true is if the person who told him is making it up or has been misinformed.

Have you a link to this please (or the Blade's name)??

I know it means nothing but he’s shot up to 6/4 favourite on sky bet too
No it does mean something. It means that a rumour hits twitter, fans put money on, odds move in.

Have you a link to this please (or the Blade's name)??
I'm guessing it's the Dane Shaw one.

Edit: TJ beat me to it.

As much as I like the Alexander Blessin appointment as someone new and exciting, Jokanovic is a standout candidate, no question about that. He's in the bracket along with Eddie Howe and David Wagner as top choices, although some may dispute Wagner, but I think he'd be a good candidate also.

Really hope there's some truth to the Jokanovic rumours, Twitter isn't the most reliable of course, but I would expect that the likes of Alan Nixon will be reporting on this soon enough if there's been an approach from the Club.

Back
Top Bottom