Slav - looking back

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

TheGregBlade

Reaction score
After all the chaos of yesterday, I have been thinking about losing Slav and I am less concerned than I was yesterday. Not convinced by the new direction but time will tell with that, although I am happier with making a change than just sitting by and hoping it will get better, I think we learned that lesson by keeping Wilder too long (would have wanted him to stay and rebuild or go quickly and we did neither).

That aside, I don't think Slav was all he was cracked up to be. I know there was the serial winner comment, and the "give him time and it will turn" comments but I didn't see much of that. Tuesday's game was the result that could have kicked us on, but it wasn't really a good performance and wasn't a striker playing themself into confidence either. It was a 'get a goal and defend the lead' kind of game, which is a positive result but not at all a sign of Slav's plan taking hold in the squad just earning a victory by any means necessary.

We are nearly in December and Slav doesn't even know his first-choice GK, or his first-choice striker, or what formation he wants us to play. He played Brewster on the wing, he dropped Bash who is the player you want to play as he's nearly always an 7/8. Some players seemed undroppable despite playing poorly for several games in a row. Brewster scores then gets dropped. N'Diaye gets sent to the U23s. Some of his subs have been very strange, bringing on a defender when we have needed a goal. More importantly, the club has no connection with the fans and the Lane has been like a library. The players are not exciting the fans and the fans are not excited enough to get behind the players. Just very grey and strange all round.

None of this is in any way giving a positive story for Slav.

I get that there is the "he wasn't backed in the summer" chat. This is partly true but isn't the full picture. We needed a GK, LCB, and creative midfielder in the summer, those had to happen. We would have liked wingers but you can't always get everything you want, especially when the owner doesn't have the funds to bankroll us. If we had 2 wingers though, would we be in a better position than we are now? I'm not convinced, all it takes is a couple of injuries and suspensions and then your two wingers are down to 1 or 0 which unbalances the team. Then you are back to square 1 and we have found Slav to not really be capable of much creative problem-solving. Plus you need to sign good wingers, just having poor wingers isn't going to improve the team.

There is also the "we need to spend more money" chat, and from experience, it is hard to agree with this tbh. We have tried to throw money at buying players in McB, Brewster, Berge, Freeman, etc and none of that has worked (yet), luckily several of those signing are young enough to turn it around. Our best players tend not to come on big-money deals. When you look back at our signings over £3m, I can't see many success stories besides Beattie, Hulse, Egan and Ramsdale due to the sell-on.

I get there is also the "but we aren't getting our first choice" chat too, but let's be realistic, who is choosing Sheffield on £50k when you can choose Villa at £100k, or an established prem club like Brighton. Our competition for players is the championship, if we are losing our 1st choice there then we have an issue, we can't compete at Prem level, we just have to suck that one up and accept it, no point crying about something that isn't possible.

It's disappointing to have spent all our transfer budget on getting rid of Slav, but from what I have read around it looks like he wanted to take an axe to the squad in Jan. From what I have seen so far, I don't think he was the man I would want to wield the axe. For better or worse, I actually trust Hecky will be better at renovating the squad than Slav. He understands the club more and is far less of a mercenary than Slav. It appears that Slav lost the trust of the board with his decisions and you're not going to give someone free reign when they have lost your trust. Plus, for a manager to be able to make the right signings he needs to be able to understand how to use what he's got first and again, not convincing.

All-in-all I am actually pretty (sadistically) interested in the next few months/years at the club. I like the idea of bringing the youngsters through, could turn out pretty good, could equally go pretty poorly too, either way, it will be an improvement on what we have had the last few months with Slav.

After all the chaos of yesterday, I have been thinking about losing Slav and I am less concerned than I was yesterday. Not convinced by the new direction but time will tell with that, although I am happier with making a change than just sitting by and hoping it will get better, I think we learned that lesson by keeping Wilder too long (would have wanted him to stay and rebuild or go quickly and we did neither).

That aside, I don't think Slav was all he was cracked up to be. I know there was the serial winner comment, and the "give him time and it will turn" comments but I didn't see much of that. Tuesday's game was the result that could have kicked us on, but it wasn't really a good performance and wasn't a striker playing themself into confidence either. It was a 'get a goal and defend the lead' kind of game, which is a positive result but not at all a sign of Slav's plan taking hold in the squad just earning a victory by any means necessary.

We are nearly in December and Slav doesn't even know his first-choice GK, or his first-choice striker, or what formation he wants us to play. He played Brewster on the wing, he dropped Bash who is the player you want to play as he's nearly always an 7/8. Some players seemed undroppable despite playing poorly for several games in a row. Brewster scores then gets dropped. N'Diaye gets sent to the U23s. Some of his subs have been very strange, bringing on a defender when we have needed a goal. More importantly, the club has no connection with the fans and the Lane has been like a library. The players are not exciting the fans and the fans are not excited enough to get behind the players. Just very grey and strange all round.

None of this is in any way giving a positive story for Slav.

I get that there is the "he wasn't backed in the summer" chat. This is partly true but isn't the full picture. We needed a GK, LCB, and creative midfielder in the summer, those had to happen. We would have liked wingers but you can't always get everything you want, especially when the owner doesn't have the funds to bankroll us. If we had 2 wingers though, would we be in a better position than we are now? I'm not convinced, all it takes is a couple of injuries and suspensions and then your two wingers are down to 1 or 0 which unbalances the team. Then you are back to square 1 and we have found Slav to not really be capable of much creative problem-solving. Plus you need to sign good wingers, just having poor wingers isn't going to improve the team.

There is also the "we need to spend more money" chat, and from experience, it is hard to agree with this tbh. We have tried to throw money at buying players in McB, Brewster, Berge, Freeman, etc and none of that has worked (yet), luckily several of those signing are young enough to turn it around. Our best players tend not to come on big-money deals. When you look back at our signings over £3m, I can't see many success stories besides Beattie, Hulse, Egan and Ramsdale due to the sell-on.

I get there is also the "but we aren't getting our first choice" chat too, but let's be realistic, who is choosing Sheffield on £50k when you can choose Villa at £100k, or an established prem club like Brighton. Our competition for players is the championship, if we are losing our 1st choice there then we have an issue, we can't compete at Prem level, we just have to suck that one up and accept it, no point crying about something that isn't possible.

It's disappointing to have spent all our transfer budget on getting rid of Slav, but from what I have read around it looks like he wanted to take an axe to the squad in Jan. From what I have seen so far, I don't think he was the man I would want to wield the axe. For better or worse, I actually trust Hecky will be better at renovating the squad than Slav. He understands the club more and is far less of a mercenary than Slav. It appears that Slav lost the trust of the board with his decisions and you're not going to give someone free reign when they have lost your trust. Plus, for a manager to be able to make the right signings he needs to be able to understand how to use what he's got first and again, not convincing.

All-in-all I am actually pretty (sadistically) interested in the next few months/years at the club. I like the idea of bringing the youngsters through, could turn out pretty good, could equally go pretty poorly too, either way, it will be an improvement on what we have had the last few months with Slav.
Great article and good summary of how Sheffield united work/carry on or jump from one event ( crisis ) to another , I'm quite old now and this week is more or less our tradition of how we go about things lol. It's almost 100 yrs since we won anything but you have to say that hard as being a Blade is ...... it's never BORING !. Anyway you articulate my thoughts better than I can.... Cheers.

I was all for Slav's appointment, our first foreign manager and excited to see us potentially having a change of approach and a past record of success in this division providing a bit of optimism. Having a fresh pair of eyes on things is what we needed and was what we got, until he (correctly) saw that we needed to overhaul the squad, only to be told that he couldn't then it went south after that. Despite his intentions, his track record of not sticking around anywhere very long might have put the frighteners up Prince & co too where Slav might have overhauled the squad, spent a heap of money, taken us to the play offs and then buggered off when a Palace/Villa/Brighton/Leeds-type club sack their manager and taken these players with him.

There are plenty of theories but I think it boils down to the transfer pot all being "spunked" away last season with the return on investment being a meek relegation and having a new manager in place who wanted to spend money but not having any, through no fault of his own, alongside a board with unrealistic expectations on how good our players actually are. MGW is arguably our best player and he's not actually ours!

I get the current approach but the delivery of it was a shambles and if that was the intention then why was Slav appointed in the first place? Did they seem to hope that he'd work some miracle with them and if not, this was always going to be the back up plan. The fact that Heckingbottom was appointed straight away on a very long contract suggests that this was what they had in mind, not "Paul Heckingbottom - caretaker manager" who might get the job if he does ok.

The board are banking on Heckingbottom being a Wilder mk2, working on a shoestring and bringing us back to being a bit more British and perhaps being more in tune with the fans, what with Stuart McCall and Jack Lester being part of the new set-up. I hope it works but its more of the typical Sheffield United penny pinching and doesn't point towards any ambition of playing Premier League football any time soon, certainly not until the Prince sells up.

I was all for Slav's appointment, our first foreign manager and excited to see us potentially having a change of approach and a past record of success in this division providing a bit of optimism. Having a fresh pair of eyes on things is what we needed and was what we got, until he (correctly) saw that we needed to overhaul the squad, only to be told that he couldn't then it went south after that. Despite his intentions, his track record of not sticking around anywhere very long might have put the frighteners up Prince & co too where Slav might have overhauled the squad, spent a heap of money, taken us to the play offs and then buggered off when a Palace/Villa/Brighton/Leeds-type club sack their manager and taken these players with him.

There are plenty of theories but I think it boils down to the transfer pot all being "spunked" away last season with the return on investment being a meek relegation and having a new manager in place who wanted to spend money but not having any, through no fault of his own, alongside a board with unrealistic expectations on how good our players actually are. MGW is arguably our best player and he's not actually ours!

I get the current approach but the delivery of it was a shambles and if that was the intention then why was Slav appointed in the first place? Did they seem to hope that he'd work some miracle with them and if not, this was always going to be the back up plan. The fact that Heckingbottom was appointed straight away on a very long contract suggests that this was what they had in mind, not "Paul Heckingbottom - caretaker manager" who might get the job if he does ok.

The board are banking on Heckingbottom being a Wilder mk2, working on a shoestring and bringing us back to being a bit more British and perhaps being more in tune with the fans, what with Stuart McCall and Jack Lester being part of the new set-up. I hope it works but its more of the typical Sheffield United penny pinching and doesn't point towards any ambition of playing Premier League football any time soon, certainly not until the Prince sells up.
They are basically admitting that the way Chris wanted things to work is probably the best way for a club like ours ?. So now we have sort of lesser Chris Wilder with almost total power on the footballing side !. Typical Blades way of doing things .. the Prince obviously wants out now he's losing money hand over fist with no Premiership glory on the cards !. Never watch's live match's and puts non football Chairmen in place on regular basis ! what kind of supporter is that ?. One who doesn't really know football I suggest . Let's hope for a miracle ... again lol.

Our participation in the useless 'United World' and the recruitment of a foreign coach has coincided with a tightening up of the Visa situation for foreign players ...
We literally could not plan a piss-up in a brewery

Following on from the weekend although it is early days I am becoming happier with the decision. The comment from Billy from his interview about the players dropping their levels in training speaks volumes. The one thing we can all agree on is that we want our players to give their all for the shirt. That's why Monty and Osborn are crowd favourites, not because they are technically brilliant but because they are the epitome of how we all feel we would play if we got picked (I could have gone pro to...)
Huge respect for Asaba, one of the pundits that I have listened to that can actually add something new and interesting to the debate. Not sure if I agree with all he says though. I don't like to be revisionist when it comes to making decisions. I genuinely felt that SJ was the man for us. I think many of us did, and you can make the argument that maybe the board bent to fan pressure to get him in. I couldn't say I saw anyone suggesting that the decision to hire SJ was a disgraceful one in the summer, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

You could argue that he is talking about the Yusuf "we didn't have a plan but now we do" comments are what makes this a terrible business decision and he has a point. Would find it hard to disagree there but again I think the board bent to club pressure and decided to get SJ in instead of PH because they feared the backlash of the fans. Reading between the lines, you could also make the argument about Yusuf and PA taking a step away is really them saying "we aren't going to listen to the fans anymore, we put what you wanted in place and it didn't work, now we are going to do what we thought we should have done", certainly puts more context to the "I'm not a football man" comment if you read it as "I'm not a football man, you fans are, and the decisions we made based on what you thought are the wrong ones so we are going to stop listening to you now". So maybe the poor performance by Yusuf was meant as a smokescreen because if he had come out and suggested any of of what I've thought, it would make everyone in the club look a whole lot sillier.

This is all tin-foil hat stuff, of course, I'm probably way off but always fun to put your thoughts down on paper.

Last thing from me is on the United World stuff, they talk about synergies etc but I am cautious to see how it plays out. If the plan is to make SUFC the top of the pyramid and filter all the good players through to the top I am very interested to see how it plays out based on this little snippet from wiki "The youth academy of Beerschot produced the likes of Thomas Vermaelen, Mousa Dembélé, Radja Nainggolan, Jan Vertonghen, and Toby Alderweireld." Combine the players developed in both our and their academy and you could build a bloody good side. Bring it on!

Following on from the weekend although it is early days I am becoming happier with the decision. The comment from Billy from his interview about the players dropping their levels in training speaks volumes. The one thing we can all agree on is that we want our players to give their all for the shirt. That's why Monty and Osborn are crowd favourites, not because they are technically brilliant but because they are the epitome of how we all feel we would play if we got picked (I could have gone pro to...)

Huge respect for Asaba, one of the pundits that I have listened to that can actually add something new and interesting to the debate. Not sure if I agree with all he says though. I don't like to be revisionist when it comes to making decisions. I genuinely felt that SJ was the man for us. I think many of us did, and you can make the argument that maybe the board bent to fan pressure to get him in. I couldn't say I saw anyone suggesting that the decision to hire SJ was a disgraceful one in the summer, but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

You could argue that he is talking about the Yusuf "we didn't have a plan but now we do" comments are what makes this a terrible business decision and he has a point. Would find it hard to disagree there but again I think the board bent to club pressure and decided to get SJ in instead of PH because they feared the backlash of the fans. Reading between the lines, you could also make the argument about Yusuf and PA taking a step away is really them saying "we aren't going to listen to the fans anymore, we put what you wanted in place and it didn't work, now we are going to do what we thought we should have done", certainly puts more context to the "I'm not a football man" comment if you read it as "I'm not a football man, you fans are, and the decisions we made based on what you thought are the wrong ones so we are going to stop listening to you now". So maybe the poor performance by Yusuf was meant as a smokescreen because if he had come out and suggested any of of what I've thought, it would make everyone in the club look a whole lot sillier.

This is all tin-foil hat stuff, of course, I'm probably way off but always fun to put your thoughts down on paper.

Last thing from me is on the United World stuff, they talk about synergies etc but I am cautious to see how it plays out. If the plan is to make SUFC the top of the pyramid and filter all the good players through to the top I am very interested to see how it plays out based on this little snippet from wiki "The youth academy of Beerschot produced the likes of Thomas Vermaelen, Mousa Dembélé, Radja Nainggolan, Jan Vertonghen, and Toby Alderweireld." Combine the players developed in both our and their academy and you could build a bloody good side. Bring it on!
you make some interesting points and you may well be right about the board appointing the fans choice as manager and just maybe the players also thought hecky should have been given the job because they certainly didnt play for slav

you make some interesting points and you may well be right about the board appointing the fans choice as manager and just maybe the players also thought hecky should have been given the job because they certainly didnt play for slav
I think that Slav was fairly cold and given that lots of our lads are pretty young, that could have been a factor. Hecky has proved to be quality with the U23s so that could be a huge part of why we wanted him in, bring the young lads back on side. Sounds like cliques were starting to form from what we are hearing.

Also, I think the lads might have got their backs up about some of the decisions made. Bash is a huge part of the club and putting him out of the team to try to pursue a formation that isn't working is one of them. Sticking Brewster on the bench and then moving him about could be another, no one likes it when their mates aren't treated nicely.

Back
Top Bottom