Shirt Sponsor(s) for the 1981/82 season...?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

drblade

Reaction score
I'm totally confused (even though it was one of my first seasons at BDTBL).

Did we have 3 different shirt sponsors that season? Looking through various team/player photos online, I can see the same classic Hobott shirt but with 3 different sponsors down the white stripe:

1) Crabtree & Nicol
2) Bentley's
3) Renault

According to Wikipedia (taken from the "Historical Football Kits website) Bentley's was 1981-82 and Renault 1982-83 (no mention of Crabtree at all). But there are team photos online labelled 1981-82 showing all three kits....

Can some one clear it up for me please, it is driving me mad!

Trainspotter, I know.

UTB

Weren't Bentley's 81/82 and Renault 82/83?

I've got retros for both and when I've looked at old photos they've been from those respective seasons.

Last edited:
There was a recession going on, Bentleys must have been hard to sell
Don't they look nice though :)

1664313770530.jpeg

View attachment 144654

That programme cover made me smile.

Notice how John McPhail always seemed to wear shorter shorts than everyone else.
Thinking about it….his shorts surely must have been the same length as everyone else’s

He just pulled them up showing off his muscular thighs but his shorts seemed to stay pulled up.
How can that happen when he‘s running? Did he used safety pins to ensure his shorts were pulled ups? One of life’s mysteries eh?

Also regards this thread….Cantors was our shirt sponsor from 79 to 81. I remember the Bentleys shirt sponsor in the 4th division season, 81-82 but I’d have swore blind we’ve never had Crabtree and Nichol as sponsors…have zero recollection….but now I’ve seen the Edwards photo, seeing is believing.

I remember the Bentleys shirt sponsor in the 4th division season, 81-82 but I’d have swore blind we’ve never had Crabtree and Nichol as sponsors…have zero recollection….but now I’ve seen the Edwards photo, seeing is believing.
Same.

They used the same photo in the “Who’s who”

99A16342-058D-417C-B655-2F448FB6C9AC.jpeg

View attachment 144654
Was the picture on the front of the program taken at the first game of the season v Hereford where we went 2 nil up really early in the game and then contrived to take our foot off the pedal and draw the match 2-2?

Strangely enough I must have come out of Bramall Lane a thousand times since but I still remember coming out of the ground that day, walking back to the car and complaining to the old man about United's lack of professionalism and incompetence (I think I was still grumbling from the disaster from back on 2 May earlier that year and had still 'fallen out' with them). Clearly I didn't know what a great season we had ahead of us at that point!

That programme cover made me smile.

Notice how John McPhail always seemed to wear shorter shorts than everyone else.
Thinking about it….his shorts surely must have been the same length as everyone else’s

He just pulled them up showing off his muscular thighs but his shorts seemed to stay pulled up.
How can that happen when he‘s running? Did he used safety pins to ensure his shorts were pulled ups? One of life’s mysteries eh?

Also regards this thread….Cantors was our shirt sponsor from 79 to 81. I remember the Bentleys shirt sponsor in the 4th division season, 81-82 but I’d have swore blind we’ve never had Crabtree and Nichol as sponsors…have zero recollection….but now I’ve seen the Edwards photo, seeing is believing.

I just think McPhail was a bit of a poser and had a bit of a self loving issue with his own legs. He loved to show them off to the crowd. Mind you there was probably a few in the crowd who liked that! He probably tied a cucumber down there too for added effect.

Good player McPhail. Like Kenworthy he was all hearted and wanted to win, and stood out from some players at that time who were just crap (I'm talking about the team what got relegated to the 4th).

I just think McPhail was a bit of a poser and had a bit of a self loving issue with his own legs. He loved to show them off to the crowd. Mind you there was probably a few in the crowd who liked that! He probably tied a cucumber down there too for added effect.

Good player McPhail. Like Kenworthy he was all hearted and wanted to win, and stood out from some players at that time who were just crap (I'm talking about the team what got relegated to the 4th).

McPhail was a long-time fan of turning over the waistband on his shorts. Here is a picture of him in the 79/80 season:

02307A78-AC49-4FF9-A4E6-D3343ED1E2EF.jpeg

He wasn’t the only one who liked to ‘shorten his shorts’ in those days, mind - Moore and Casey went for the same look - in fact Moore went for the ‘double-fold’:

43C125F5-16F8-4B95-A40E-49D64542F84E.jpegB54DCBD3-8E68-4BEA-A29F-09BCE32C3190.jpeg

The lad on the left was the opposite, he turned into a fairly decent player.

225e45eb-cc1d-4d40-8e11-a51ee3718590-1360x2040.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom