Referee Watching Season 22/23

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ChipButtyBlade

Reaction score
We have David Coote for the home game against Millwall.

Prem refs pre season game in the Championship making sure their whistle works.

Here he is trying to levitate.

1659566390534.png

How did he rate for you ?

My rating 7.5/10

I was pleasantly surprised,its always a good sign when the referee's dont get,,,,,,you dont know what you are doing sung to them.
I thought he made quite a few questionable calls, giving Millwall a thrown in when the ball obviously came off there player a corner to us when the ball came off our player, waved play on when there was an obvious foul....

Andre Marriner to be the referee and Jeremy Simpson the 4th Official,it will be their second game in consecutive days as Jeremy Simpson is the referee for Sunderlands home game today (Sat) and Andre Marriner is the 4th official.

Wonder if they do owt else together.

I like Andre think he is a very fair laidback sort of Ref.

1660384010782.png

Andre Marriner to be the referee and Jeremy Simpson the 4th Official,it will be their second game in consecutive days as Jeremy Simpson is the referee for Sunderlands home game today (Sat) and Andre Marriner is the 4th official.

Wonder if they do owt else together.

I like Andre think he is a very fair laidback sort of Ref.

View attachment 141612
Have we ever won a game with him in charge

Discussion last week on Talksport about refs decision discussions being made available post match. So you can listen to what the refs said during the match.

Although I can't remember if Simon Jordan or someone else suggested they just make the microphones they wear public live during the match like they do in rugby.

I think it would be a good idea, not sure it would change fans views on the decisions being made but at least we get to hear how they come to a decision.

Discussion last week on Talksport about refs decision discussions being made available post match. So you can listen to what the refs said during the match.

Although I can't remember if Simon Jordan or someone else suggested they just make the microphones they wear public live during the match like they do in rugby.

I think it would be a good idea, not sure it would change fans views on the decisions being made but at least we get to hear how they come to a decision.
You can imagine the disallowed goal yesterday:

Lino: He's offside.
Ref: Who headed it? White or red?
Lino: No idea. You're closer than me.
Ref: Couldn't tell from my angle.
Lino: You're call.
Ref: No var. We'll go with offside. Better a dodgy offside than a dodgy goal.

You can imagine the disallowed goal yesterday:

Lino: He's offside.
Ref: Who headed it? White or red?
Lino: No idea. You're closer than me.
Ref: Couldn't tell from my angle.
Lino: You're call.
Ref: No var. We'll go with offside. Better a dodgy offside than a dodgy goal.

Maybe that is the discussion but we will get to hear it.

Live mics should’ve come in with VAR that way when you would get their working out so to speak and even if you didn’t agree with the answer if their method was sound we’d probably be a bit more ok with it also would stop refs just making arbitrary decisions.

The excuse that it would ruin banter with the players is bollocks as well just listen to Nigel Owens reffing a game he gives as good as he gets and has a laugh and a joke.

Live mics should’ve come in with VAR that way when you would get their working out so to speak and even if you didn’t agree with the answer if their method was sound we’d probably be a bit more ok with it also would stop refs just making arbitrary decisions.

The excuse that it would ruin banter with the players is bollocks as well just listen to Nigel Owens reffing a game he gives as good as he gets and has a laugh and a joke.

James Linnington for the Sunderland game.

1660559020135.png

Disallowed the Huddersfield "goal" at their place last season and also did the Wednesday play-off game at Hillsborough v Sunderland.

Yep he’s a character and I’m sure he rubs some people up the wrong way but the mic doesn’t stop him reffing how he wants or having a joke so when football referees say it I don’t buy it. It’s just an excuse to avoid a way of scrutinising them which should’ve been around for years now.

Maybe that is the discussion but we will get to hear it.

You'd also be able to hear every single instance of effing and jeffing from any of the players near the ref's mic.

I can just imagine little Oscar calling the ref a "fucking thick cunt" at his under-9s game because that's what his hero Billy Sharp said over the tannoy on Saturday afternoon 😂

You'd also be able to hear every single instance of effing and jeffing from any of the players near the ref's mic.

I can just imagine little Oscar calling the ref a "fucking thick cunt" at his under-9s game because that's what his hero Billy Sharp said over the tannoy on Saturday afternoon 😂

Could also work in a refs favour too, you would get to hear the likes of the big ego footballers at Chelsea and Man Utd that have habit of surrounding the ref giving them shit.

No, Azpilicueta you got booked by the ref because you were being a cunt.

Think you’d soon see players cutting all that out especially at the top level if they knew it would be picked up live on TV not good for sponsorship deals. Think you’d see sponsors and clubs coming down hard on it

Think you’d soon see players cutting all that out especially at the top level if they knew it would be picked up live on TV not good for sponsorship deals. Think you’d see sponsors and clubs coming down hard on it

Yep, it might lead to a bit of respect being shown both ways between refs and players.

Do we want footballers getting done for swearing? If they're directly abusing the ref then of course they should be booked as they already are. But if it's a mere expression of disbelief or anger at something in the game and they let a bad word slip, do we want to have the book chucked at them?

I'm not totally against refs being mic'd up, by the way. I'm just pointing out an obvious issue which would arise.

Yep, it might lead to a bit of respect being shown both ways between refs and players.

What about respect between fans and ref's, or fans and players?

10,000 people can chant that the referee is a wanker but nothing of the sort should be said on the pitch. Fair?

Do we want footballers getting done for swearing? If they're directly abusing the ref then of course they should be booked as they already are. But if it's a mere expression of disbelief or anger at something in the game and they let a bad word slip, do we want to have the book chucked at them?

I'm not totally against refs being mic'd up, by the way. I'm just pointing out an obvious issue which would arise.
They’d be unlikely to be picked up just generally swearing on the refs mic unless they’re stood very close to/having a conversation with the ref. Not necessarily advocating the ref punishing them though I think they should for the most egregious but rather that sponsors are likely to have a quiet but forceful word along the lines of it’s difficult to use you in our new boot campaign if you keep calling the ref a nonce.

What about respect between fans and ref's, or fans and players?

10,000 people can chant that the referee is a wanker but nothing of the sort should be said on the pitch. Fair?

Yep perfectly fair. :)

Back
Top Bottom