Manager Suggestion Philippe Clement

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

jono_t2000

Reaction score

According to article today he's looking for a change and putting himself in the shop window.

Brugge want him to stay until 2022 but Clement has put discussions on hold until end of season.

Was manager at Genk for majority of Berge's time there which may play into Heckingbottom cryptic quote about him possibly staying?

https://www.voetbalbelgie.be/specials/clement-laat-club-brugge-wachten/2021/04/30/

What you think PurpleRain good option?
Clement is regarded very highly, over performed during his first management year at Beveren, then moved to Genk and immediate win the championship, then moved to Brugge and again immediately won the championship and now he is on course to win it again. Clement is a youth product of Beerschot so you can’t go wrong with him. 😉 he had a very good career in Belgium and in the national team as a holding midfielder and later on as central defender.

The sources quoted above are quite poor though. Most of the times they just post click bait. Have not read anything about this in the more trustworthy papers/sites.

In terms of tactics he usually plays a variation of 4-3-3. He sometimes switches to 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 but over the years 4-3-3 is his main tactic with fluent attacking football. But that is helped with the quality of players he had in Genk (Berge and Pozuele) and now in Brugge with a squad that is miles ahead of any other club in our league. Still you have to get them fighting and he is capable of that otherwise you don’t win 3 titles in a row with 2 different clubs.

I fancy him as our next manager and have just contacted sky to request odds

"Van Winkle pulling the strings" is my predicted narrative if this one gains any traction.

We're deep into "cheap option" at the moment, with a whiff of "no ambition" with Jokanovic coming and going.

I note he has come from nowhere to be in at 16/1 but feel this is only because I enquired
Sit tight until it hopefully goes out a bit
But he wants a new project
I assume we are well connected and he may just fancy a new project and a tilt at the premiership

"Van Winkle pulling the strings" is my predicted narrative if this one gains any traction.

We're deep into "cheap option" at the moment, with a whiff of "no ambition" with Jokanovic coming and going.
And my response to that will be “I don’t care who’s pulling the strings as long as they’re pulling them at the right time and in the right order”

Would imagine he's on Spurs list of 25 to do due diligence on.

In terms of tactics he usually plays a variation of 4-3-3. He sometimes switches to 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 but over the years 4-3-3 is his main tactic with fluent attacking football. But that is helped with the quality of players he had in Genk (Berge and Pozuele) and now in Brugge with a squad that is miles ahead of any other club in our league. Still you have to get them fighting and he is capable of that otherwise you don’t win 3 titles in a row with 2 different clubs.
What you describe sounds like he wouldn't be the worst choice at all. As you suggest, switching between clubs and still retaining there level of success is impressive and not entirely different to what he'd be asked to do here.

I think this is really an excellent chance to bounce back if the appointment is anywhere near right.

Post covid most Championship clubs are struggling. At least 2 clubs with parachute money will bounce back up if not all 3 and the 2 clubs already confirmed to be promoted to the Championship are not heavily resourced. The play off teams who miss out are going to be ripe for the pickings by those promoted teams. Coming down, Fulham will lose 7 loan players and West Brom have a handful plus will also need a new manager in all likelihood.

We really can't mess this up by going for a sub par manager.

What you describe sounds like he wouldn't be the worst choice at all. As you suggest, switching between clubs and still retaining there level of success is impressive and not entirely different to what he'd be asked to do here.

I think this is really an excellent chance to bounce back if the appointment is anywhere near right.

Post covid most Championship clubs are struggling. At least 2 clubs with parachute money will bounce back up if not all 3 and the 2 clubs already confirmed to be promoted to the Championship are not heavily resourced. The play off teams who miss out are going to be ripe for the pickings by those promoted teams. Coming down, Fulham will lose 7 loan players and West Brom have a handful plus will also need a new manager in all likelihood.

Yet it seems we will be, astounding

Clement Stats sound very good.
However Lennon as a manager has 5 championship's, 5 cups and and a 70% win percentage with 2clubs, in a league where we buy a fair few players. And that record puts him in the global name market. Not my choice but using stats he is up there.

Clement Stats sound very good.
However Lennon as a manager has 5 championship's, 5 cups and and a 70% win percentage with 2clubs, in a league where we buy a fair few players. And that record puts him in the global name market. Not my choice but using stats he is up there.

Even David Weir would have good stats in that League
Look at Celtics European record under Lennon its not great when you compare Gerrards record at Rangers
Last time we bought anyone direct from Scotland was under Clough wasnt it ? Or probably Sammon with Adkins
So not really a fair few is it

Heneghan ? but take your point. Issue remains stats are deceptive. On that score Tindall might not be the worst. Ben Bloom, has an interesting piece on it :

Impressive management career so far. Be weird to see us bring in a manger with 3 league titles in a row in a fairly major European league.

...but until we are well into the new season we will not know if he is sub par !
Remember there were many who did not rate Wilder at the start and several more after four games !
We have to assume that the Prince’s aim is the same as the fans.

Still available at 20/1 on sky bet.

Seems to be one of the few with what is potentially a credible link reported in the press, especially when you compare to SJ who is apparently not on our list of candidates yet is 3/1.

Back
Top Bottom