Original Shares - season tickets

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Champagneblade

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone had seen anything on this.

There were a very few original shares around. Maybe 360 and they were expensive to buy.

They used to allow fans to get in and see the cricket for free when Yorkshire played. Once this was removed they converted to giving a free season ticket as recompense.

At one point they were exchanging hands more than 20 years ago for over £5,000.

When the club became a PLC and these shares had to be catered for there were many meetings with Mike MacDonald and Charles Green, and they settled on the arrangement that the Original shareholders would have a free seat until 2022.

I've not seen anything on this but I wondered if the club has shared a view?

These shares have now lost 1 year worth of season ticket and unlike those who buy tickets and can offset what they spent against new ones, these select few could miss out on what they were entitled for their share being exchanged effectively for x years of season ticket. They now will be at x-1 unless the club takes note and rectifies it.

My dad has one. Due to expire next year as you both say.

There's a whisper the expiration date may be extended but nothing confirmed as yet.

I have had to purchase a season ticket for. 21/22 even though I had a a original shares it will be interesting to see if the club honour the missing year

Mine lapsed in 2019/2020. When buying my season ticket this year, the Covid wipe outs at the end of last season were knocked off the price, even though technically they would have been free and complimentary.

My dad has one. Due to expire next year as you both say.

There's a whisper the expiration date may be extended but nothing confirmed as yet.
My Dad has one and given he's now in his 80s I don't fancy him racing around and jumping into meetings with the club.

I'll drop them a note for clarification.

There were so few of them that it isn't likely to make big headlines but I do personally feel on the face of it, given that the trading value was wiped out under MacDonald, the club should honour the number of years this was to give.

Thanks for the replies.

I was involved with some of the original meetings with Mike Mac Donald etc and have heard nothing about it being extended beyond 2022, any feedback would be appreciated. The original share was to provide a ticket in perpetuity which was changed to 25 years when we had the general share issue.

I work at the University of Sheffield and the University had an original share season ticket, which the staff were allowed to use.

After the end of the season that has just finished, it has now expired, which I feel is a shame given the small amount that are around today.

Also it means I can no longer use it, it was a great seat in the south stand in line with half way.

I got my complementary season ticket for next season, no idea what will happen next season though, here was a rumour a bit back that the complimentary tickets would continue as a goodwill gesture

There's a story in our family that one of the (great) grandparents lived on Shoreham when the houses were demolished and got a lifetime season ticket, which mysteriously went missing around the 60s!

No idea if its true or not but this thread reminded me of it!

Best of luck with your shares, hope the club does the right thing by the Blades who keep it going ⚔

I got my complementary season ticket for next season, no idea what will happen next season though, here was a rumour a bit back that the complimentary tickets would continue as a goodwill gesture
Interesting as I had to buy mine this year. To be fair it was passed down and the original holder (my grandad) past in 2001, so I’ve not done bad with it.

I do have a feeling there are/were a couple of different shares about. The OP is about ‘original shares’ but I’ve heard the one my grandad had was a ‘silver disk share’. He certainly didn’t but any when we were floated on the stock market.

The silver disc was used to gain entrance to the ground before a season ticket was introduced, this was part of the original share issue

I heard that 2019 was the initial offer for the end date during negotiations. Most accepted, some fought for more and hit a 2023 end date. So there are two kinds of silver disk replacement shares.

My late dad had 600 ordinary shares since the early 2000's, which were then past onto and placed in my mum's name after he died. Now my mum's passed away I'm her executor and last week sent an enquiries email to the club for information about them. Unfortunately they haven't responded yet.
Any ideas/suggestions from anyone?

There's a story in our family that one of the (great) grandparents lived on Shoreham when the houses were demolished and got a lifetime season ticket, which mysteriously went missing around the 60s!

No idea if its true or not but this thread reminded me of it!

Best of luck with your shares, hope the club does the right thing by the Blades who keep it going ⚔
I was born in one of those houses that are now demolished (Jessops really but at two weeks my nappy first sat down in no 593 (I think) Shoreham Street, in 1950).

Any idea what number they lived at?

I was born in one of those houses that are now demolished (Jessops really but at two weeks my nappy first sat down in no 593 (I think) Shoreham Street, in 1950).

I'm not sure but I'll ask the family and see if anyone knows! My grandparents are both gone now, but someone might still remember

I work at the University of Sheffield and the University had an original share season ticket, which the staff were allowed to use.

After the end of the season that has just finished, it has now expired, which I feel is a shame given the small amount that are around today.

Also it means I can no longer use it, it was a great seat in the south stand in line with half way.
Shame your freebies gone most fans have been buying theres for years.
The seat you like will be available to the university or whoever claims it ! Like us all the going rate to be paid !!!!

My late dad had 600 ordinary shares since the early 2000's, which were then past onto and placed in my mum's name after he died. Now my mum's passed away I'm her executor and last week sent an enquiries email to the club for information about them. Unfortunately they haven't responded yet.
Any ideas/suggestions from anyone?
I’d guess they were Plc shares, which are now nothing to do with the club.

Might it have been a different number than 593? The 1952 map shows Shoreham Street only went up to the 400s on the odd side of the road

582-606 Shoreham were demolished in the 70s I think.

Thanks for the photo - is that definitely the bottom end of Shoreham Street do you know?
I'll go into the loft and check the address as I have my little book still that they gave you when you were born and it indicates things like weight and other little details.

Thanks for the photo - is that definitely the bottom end of Shoreham Street do you know?
I'll go into the loft and check the address as I have my little book still that they gave you when you were born and it indicates things like weight and other little details.
Yep that's the row of houses on Shoreham Street between Bramall Lane and Alderson Road.

You can see the phonebox and post box are still in place on this photo after the houses were demolished:

1623658224339.png

Yep that's the row of houses on Shoreham Street between Bramall Lane and Alderson Road.

You can see the phonebox and post box are still in place on this photo after the houses were demolished:

View attachment 114949
Do you have photos of Asline Road in the early 1970s? My dad used to park his car there for home games. What year were the houses on Asline Road pulled down?

Back
Top Bottom