Number of games left to play after mathematical safety from the drop in top tier

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
We are likely to be mathematically safe from relegation before we play Burnley on Sunday when we have 6 games left to play especially because I cannot see Bournemouth winning at Man U on Saturday. Either us beating Spurs tomorrow or failing that, Bournemouth not win at Old Trafford or Watford not getting a point at Chelsea this Saturday will mean that we are mathematically safe with 6 games left to play.

1973-74 season was the first time when three teams went down at the end of the season. So I am trying to see which was the highest number of games we had left to play after we were mathematically safe since 1973.

1973-74
1 game left to play after drawing 1-1 at home to QPR

1974-75
7 games left to play after Derby beat Luton 5-0 (we drew 2-2 at Coventry the night before

1975-76

Relegated

1990-91

Only 2 teams went down that season as the number of PL teams were being increased to 22 for the following season but for the record we were safe from the drop after winning 2-1 at QPR with 4 games left to play.

1991-92

4 games left to play after we beat Spurs 2-0 at home.

1992-93

Last game although we were 11 goals ahead of Oldham in GD before the last game of the season

1993-94

Relegated

2006-07

Relegated

We are likely to be mathematically safe from relegation before we play Burnley on Sunday when we have 6 games left to play especially because I cannot see Bournemouth winning at Man U on Saturday. Either us beating Spurs tomorrow or failing that, Bournemouth not win at Old Trafford or Watford not getting a point at Chelsea this Saturday will mean that we are mathematically safe with 6 games left to play.

1973-74 season was the first time when three teams went down at the end of the season. So I am trying to see which was the highest number of games we had left to play after we were mathematically safe since 1973.

1973-74
1 game left to play after drawing 1-1 at home to QPR

1974-75
7 games left to play after Derby beat Luton 5-0 (we drew 2-2 at Coventry the night before

1975-76

Relegated

1990-91

Only 2 teams went down that season as the number of PL teams were being increased to 22 for the following season but for the record we were safe from the drop after winning 2-1 at QPR with 4 games left to play.

1991-92

4 games left to play after we beat Spurs 2-0 at home.

1992-93

Last game although we were 11 goals ahead of Oldham in GD before the last game of the season

1993-94

Relegated

2006-07

Relegated

Thanks for taking the time to write that. Seriously, i was having lockdown nightmares about the most epic fail in football history for the Blades! Ridiculous I know but ask any battle scarred veteran like me of the Chelsea defeat that sent us down in those crushing 8 minutes and the Don Givens penalty miss against Walsall and they will tell you nightmares do come true. I had just calmed myself down when the post lockdown period began and then out trot 11 apparent complete strangers wearing red and white shirts and promptly rack up 3 horrible defeats and a draw following the most outrageous non-decision Ive ever seen on a football pitch. So to know mathematical safety is actually a realistic aim so soon means I can now come out from the back of the settee and stop peering through my fingers at the league table!

Thanks for taking the time to write that. Seriously, i was having lockdown nightmares about the most epic fail in football history for the Blades! Ridiculous I know but ask any battle scarred veteran like me of the Chelsea defeat that sent us down in those crushing 8 minutes and the Don Givens penalty miss against Walsall and they will tell you nightmares do come true. I had just calmed myself down when the post lockdown period began and then out trot 11 apparent complete strangers wearing red and white shirts and promptly rack up 3 horrible defeats and a draw following the most outrageous non-decision Ive ever seen on a football pitch. So to know mathematical safety is actually a realistic aim so soon means I can now come out from the back of the settee and stop peering through my fingers at the league table!
I fully identify with you. And no doubt Bournemouth and Watford will win on Saturday... Don't drop your guard too soon...

If we do it with six games, or even five games, to spare that would be a great marker for how well we've done this season for a team everyone said would finish rock bottom, and that one said "weren't even taking the Premier League seriously".

Then when you factor in that our defence has been insanely good, and we've outplayed many teams along the way...

Best United side of my lifetime.

I'm incredibly proud.
I've been watching, like others, the 'classic matches' United have put on Facebook. Today was Burnley in 05, we won (2-0 or 2-1). What a poor side we had. Poor football. Average players. Direct.

Compare to now? Wow. Like you, this is the best United side I've ever seen. By some comfortable distance.

With the fixtures that those below us have, I cannot see us dropping below 10th.
Who thought that in August ?!

With the fixtures that those below us have, I cannot see us dropping below 10th.
Who thought that in August ?!
34 people apparently, discounting the 16 who said we'd be champions. I had us down for 14th.

Back
Top Bottom