New: Lee Morris Interview

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I was living away when Lee played for us. When I did see him I thought he looked really good. It was a chaotic time and it didn’t lend itself to getting too attached to people, but I’d be interested to see people’s thoughts.

Morris minor talks to Sheff United Way

Following in his dads footsteps
Nearly signing for Arsenal
His £3m move to Derby
Neil Warnock blocking his return
Managing in America

Video:

Audio (wherever you get your podcasts) or:
Spotify https://spoti.fi/2Wus1Hi
Apple https://apple.co/3DjI4IJ

What a sound fella he comes across as.

I still think he is/was one of the best youngsters out of our academy in my lifetime. Quick, skilful and could finish. £3m was a serious fee back then, which reflected his potential.

What was the story with Warnock?

I hope I'm as good looking as he is at that age!
I am and I remember Colin his Dad playing for us. Signed from Exeter. Excellent right winger. Recent article on The Pinch 'Colin Morris burnt my toast' but deleted it........

Sad what he said about Curtis Woodhouse. One of my favourite players from that era. I thought he was destined for the very top. Seem to remember Lee scoring a hat trick against the pigs for Derby.

What a player his old fella was, Lee was also excellent and I thought he would go onto bigger things from Derby but he was plagued with injury’s, still had a very good career though, comes across as a genuinely nice man.

I am and I remember Colin his Dad playing for us. Signed from Exeter. Excellent right winger. Recent article on The Pinch 'Colin Morris burnt my toast' but deleted it........
Was it that bad? 😉

3 Million in 1999 was a stupid amount for a player who’d broken his foot and hardly played that season.

But, the season before. Him and Woodhouse were both 18 and looked like they were going to be PL players at some point. Can’t remember too much about Lee, he had a purple patch mid-season under Bruce. Remember only one game where we battered Watford and he scored. Plus he looked against Arsenal.

Problem was he came through at a time when players were being sold every week, seemed like we had a new loan player appearing every game and crowds were decimated because the board were at war with each other.

Did fuck all after us really, had a brief spell at Derby under John Gregory. But injuries killed him off.

Could’ve had a young exciting team if Quinn, Curtis and Lee alongside Jags, Tonge etc. if we kept hold of them.

Oh well. Was a really shit time to be a blade, until Warnock came along.

Along with Quinn and Woodhouse, Lee was one of the first young players I saw come thorough. Can’t recall too much about him, but I do remember him being an exciting player.

Shame he had back luck with injuries in his playing career. Seems a nice guy and a Blade too.

3 Million in 1999 was a stupid amount for a player who’d broken his foot and hardly played that season.

But, the season before. Him and Woodhouse were both 18 and looked like they were going to be PL players at some point. Can’t remember too much about Lee, he had a purple patch mid-season under Bruce. Remember only one game where we battered Watford and he scored. Plus he looked against Arsenal.

Problem was he came through at a time when players were being sold every week, seemed like we had a new loan player appearing every game and crowds were decimated because the board were at war with each other.

Did fuck all after us really, had a brief spell at Derby under John Gregory. But injuries killed him off.

Could’ve had a young exciting team if Quinn, Curtis and Lee alongside Jags, Tonge etc. if we kept hold of them.

Oh well. Was a really shit time to be a blade, until Warnock came along.
Of all of our sales of players for over 1 million pounds, this was probably the worst for the buying club. Morris was clearly not fit. I vaguely recall he played a 15 minute cameo on his return to "fitness" to satisfy Derby, and off he went. Crazy.

The Woodhouse and Quinn deals of the same vintage were also bad value for the buying clubs (as were Mellis and Slew later), but this deal was a lot more money.

Colin Morris: He was the legendary double act with Keith Edwards, both players had a brilliant understanding and brought out the best in each other.
The trademark style of Morris was he was like lightning over 5 yards. CM wasn't the tallest (only 5 ft 7) with short legs.
So on the wing he'd stop with the ball, the defender would stop running, then CM would knock it past the defender 3 yards and always seemed to out sprint
every defender from a standing start. Then without looking he'd quickly cross it on...knowing that master predator Keith Edwards would always be lurking in their box.

Lee Morris: Even as an 18 year old he looked good, you could see he had above average quality.
However as soon as he started to play matches he was sold, another case of selling off our youngsters with potential
however to be honest in them days 3 million was a massive amount, seemed very high for someone who had hardly played 1st team football.
It turned into an excellent piece of business for us because at Derby he didn't play much due to injuries.

Curtis Woodhouse: A good discription of Woodhouse is it was like having 2 midfielders playing.
He was the midfield engine room, just on his own. At his best he had similarities to Montgomery but was a better version of him.
Another one, just starting to look a real top player and we sell him to Birmingham.
However in retrospect, another piece of good business as Woodhouse seemed to fall out of love with football and ended up in the lower divisions.

Last edited:
Colin Morris: He was the legendary double act with Keith Edwards, both players had a brilliant understanding and brought out the best in each other.
The trademark style of Morris was he was like lightning over 5 yards. CM wasn't the tallest (only 5 ft 7) with short legs.
So on the wing he'd stop with the ball, the defender would stop running, then CM would knock it past the defender 3 yards and always seemed to out sprint
every defender from a standing start. Then without looking he'd quickly cross it on...knowing that master predator Keith Edwards would always be lurking in their box.

Lee Morris: Even as an 18 year old he looked good, you could see he had above average quality.
However as soon as he started to play matches he was sold, another case of selling off our youngsters with potential
however to be honest in them days 3 million was a massive amount, seemed very high for someone who had hardly played 1st team football.
It turned into an excellent piece of business for us because at Derby he didn't play much due to injuries.

Curtis Woodhouse: A good discription of Woodhouse is it was like having 2 midfielders playing.
He was the midfield engine room, just on his own. At his best he had similarities to Montgomery but was a better version of him.
Another one, just starting to look a real top player and we sell him to Birmingham.
However in retrospect, another piece of good business as Woodhouse seemed to fall out of love with football and ended up in the lower divisions.
Did we get Devlin in that deal with Brum?

Back
Top Bottom