My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
Pretty hard to range anything but praise on Hecky and the lads for tonight. Whilst it wasn't a vanquishing beating of a favoured side by a team better than they, it showed United, in their current 'transitionary phase' at their level best. Most things sparkled in a festive manner tonight and it is difficult to point out weaknesses and fuck ups which makes a change. Again, one was expecting us to be found out and due a Blackburn-style pummelling but we made the league leaders look decidedly ordinary, even for all the possession and guile they had. I was somewhat surprised to see Robinson in and fearing the worst and with no McGoldrick, or McBurnie even as a sub it was difficult to see the way ahead when Billy would hit the wall at 60-70 minutes but to be honest, I expected to be buried by then and either option chasing the ball around their back four. How conditioned some of us still are. Even when we started fairly brightly -which we often do - I was waiting for Fulham to seize control, find our weakness (usually the same old suspects like Norwood or Stevens) and simply bypass on the way to a resounding win.

Whilst many - including me - have been preparing ourselves for a return to predictable WIlderball with Hecky reverting to 5-3-2 and everything going Norwood => Hollywood and us creating fuck all, what I wasn't prepared for and apologise for not seeing is a new style of 5-3-2 which is both comfortable for the players and dammit, produces results. Tonight was Heckingbottom's validation of his new role as United manager and possibly the role he has been waiting for. We started with a 3-4-1-2 which worked really well with the central midfield working very well to negate Fulham's potential dominance (think about the last time we were at Craven Cottage for a comparison of style and approach) and as much as their dangermen - Wilson and Mitrovich - threatened, we looked moderately comfortable for long spells just reducing them to long, pointless passes or wasteful short ones. Up top we just denied them space and possession, robbed them of the ball and went on the attack or in the case of N'Daiye's goal simply bulldozed forward, De Bruyne style and punished Fulham for their lax defending.

Okay, we all thought, 'great, watch us fuck this up' but again, under Hecky we refused to simply give it up because we have the audacity to take the lead, And to the ninety minute choruses of a wonderful away support, we just kept plugging, kept playing and even scored another goal albeit disallowed. We rode our luck, but so have other teams when they've come to BDTBL and we have woken up on the 70th minute and gone on the offensive and put a host of chances wide, into the kop or into the keeper's arms.

Good to see Berge get 45 minutes and Fleck back in a Blades shirt although after the break with the typical 5-3-2 we seemed string enough to hold them out.

No idea how or where we finished the game regarding positioning. It seemed very 5-4-1 with Osborn playing as auxiliary striker.

A bloody well deserved win tonight. So impressed with this turn around and we could possibly get more points out of Preston and Hull before Wilder comes back early next year. The playoffs are now within reach and that is down to the players and Heckingbottom.

Foderingham 8/10: Definitely reinforcing his claim for the No1 jersey for the rest of this season. Assured saves and stops and safe hands on crosses
Stevens 7/10: Despite some doddy-footed clearances, battled well with Wilson and showed some mature, robust determination not to roll over and let the talent of the kid bamboozle him
Robinson 7.5/10: Couldn't fault him much tonight. Committed in the tackles and in the right place save for Mitrovic outpositioning him on a couple of crosses
Egan 7/10: Pretty good if for some worrying periods when he and the rest of the central defence were collectively bullied by Mitrovic. Sometimes he seems just a bit slow and lightweight in the challenge these days and hasn't been top line since the absence of O'Connell
Basham 7.5/10: His usual 'does the right thing' self, save for a few misplaced passes. He is the anchor of our team.
Bogle 8.5/10: A pretty outstanding performance from young Jayden. Both on the ball - very capable - and off the ball - intelligent and showing gathering maturity, he is making Heckingbottom's decisions to reinstate George Baldock a very difficult one and that readers is what makes a team good in competition and strength in depth. Imagine if that were the case in 80% of our outfield positions?
Hourihane 6.5/10: A better game from him overall although he did fade in the second half and made way for Fleck
Norwood 7/10: Very well played for him in spells and no daft Hollywood passes. Fought well if at times sometimes lacking the guile to skip past opposition challenges and beat his man
N'daiye 8.5/10: A great game for him. Real shop-window stuff with his tenacious, never-say-die attitude, go-for-broke attacking and sheer will to take our game to them. A real breath of fresh air and worth all the hype and gossip about him. Brilliantly taken goal.
Gibbs-White 7/10: Lovely half from him until injured and if given another half, I feel would have put the match to bed with a goal or two.
Sharp 7.5/10: Grafted and worked and made the opposition think twice about his presence, both in possession and out of possession.

Berge 6.5/10: Nice to see him back in the game at last - but - for fuck's sake Sander. When you have the ball at your feet and the opposition backpedalling, stopping and passing backwards is so fucking last year. Run at the bastards, and score, eh? You're in the shop window now. No discerning manager worth his salt is gonna risk cash on someone with such talent being seemingly frightened to put the opposition on their heels and go at them.
Osborn 6/10: Not much time to assess and he was playing an odd position of up front-ish
Fleck (unmarked): One decent late tackle. Good to see him back, hopefully as John not Jimmy

Hecky 10/10: Well done feller. Onwards and upwards into the playoffs, please

Supporters 20/10: From start to finish, song after song after song. We done you lot!

Merry Christmas everyone. Not felt this way since McMahon hit those two free kicks past Crawley a few years ago. Jingle Bells!

pommpey

It just goes to show how different we see things. I thought Bogles defending was weak all night and when he was tired the last 10 minutes he could have cost us the game. He gave a couple of daft free kicks away and was nowhere to be seen when Mitrovic found space at the end and hit the post. Personally I thought Egan was head and shoulders above everyone tonight. He won his headers, made a few good blocks and tackles, no pun intended, and looked a bit more like the Egan of old.

All in all though that was a great win and it sent out the message that we're back. Good stuff!

Cheers Pomps. Was worried by the two little
niggles at Norwood in your intro, but his rating seems fair!

Thought Osborn had a bit of a stinker when he came on, and he almost cost us the points, but in his defense I suppose he has been asked to play all kinds of roles for us this season.

Brilliant report pommpey the only disagreements I have is I'd mark MGW down a point, nothing really came off for him tonight, but he tried hard and he definitely occupied the Fulham defenders.
I'd also mark Berge up one, he seemed much more committed and proactive tonight, and his run and pass to set up Bogle was sublime.

Pretty hard to range anything but praise on Hecky and the lads for tonight. Whilst it wasn't a vanquishing beating of a favoured side by a team better than they, it showed United, in their current 'transitionary phase' at their level best. Most things sparkled in a festive manner tonight and it is difficult to point out weaknesses and fuck ups which makes a change. Again, one was expecting us to be found out and due a Blackburn-style pummelling but we made the league leaders look decidedly ordinary, even for all the possession and guile they had. I was somewhat surprised to see Robinson in and fearing the worst and with no McGoldrick, or McBurnie even as a sub it was difficult to see the way ahead when Billy would hit the wall at 60-70 minutes but to be honest, I expected to be buried by then and either option chasing the ball around their back four. How conditioned some of us still are. Even when we started fairly brightly -which we often do - I was waiting for Fulham to seize control, find our weakness (usually the same old suspects like Norwood or Stevens) and simply bypass on the way to a resounding win.

Whilst many - including me - have been preparing ourselves for a return to predictable WIlderball with Hecky reverting to 5-3-2 and everything going Norwood => Hollywood and us creating fuck all, what I wasn't prepared for and apologise for not seeing is a new style of 5-3-2 which is both comfortable for the players and dammit, produces results. Tonight was Heckingbottom's validation of his new role as United manager and possibly the role he has been waiting for. We started with a 3-4-1-2 which worked really well with the central midfield working very well to negate Fulham's potential dominance (think about the last time we were at Craven Cottage for a comparison of style and approach) and as much as their dangermen - Wilson and Mitrovich - threatened, we looked moderately comfortable for long spells just reducing them to long, pointless passes or wasteful short ones. Up top we just denied them space and possession, robbed them of the ball and went on the attack or in the case of N'Daiye's goal simply bulldozed forward, De Bruyne style and punished Fulham for their lax defending.

Okay, we all thought, 'great, watch us fuck this up' but again, under Hecky we refused to simply give it up because we have the audacity to take the lead, And to the ninety minute choruses of a wonderful away support, we just kept plugging, kept playing and even scored another goal albeit disallowed. We rode our luck, but so have other teams when they've come to BDTBL and we have woken up on the 70th minute and gone on the offensive and put a host of chances wide, into the kop or into the keeper's arms.

Good to see Berge get 45 minutes and Fleck back in a Blades shirt although after the break with the typical 5-3-2 we seemed string enough to hold them out.

No idea how or where we finished the game regarding positioning. It seemed very 5-4-1 with Osborn playing as auxiliary striker.

A bloody well deserved win tonight. So impressed with this turn around and we could possibly get more points out of Preston and Hull before Wilder comes back early next year. The playoffs are now within reach and that is down to the players and Heckingbottom.

Foderingham 8/10: Definitely reinforcing his claim for the No1 jersey for the rest of this season. Assured saves and stops and safe hands on crosses
Stevens 7/10: Despite some doddy-footed clearances, battled well with Wilson and showed some mature, robust determination not to roll over and let the talent of the kid bamboozle him
Robinson 7.5/10: Couldn't fault him much tonight. Committed in the tackles and in the right place save for Mitrovic outpositioning him on a couple of crosses
Egan 7/10: Pretty good if for some worrying periods when he and the rest of the central defence were collectively bullied by Mitrovic. Sometimes he seems just a bit slow and lightweight in the challenge these days and hasn't been top line since the absence of O'Connell
Basham 7.5/10: His usual 'does the right thing' self, save for a few misplaced passes. He is the anchor of our team.
Bogle 8.5/10: A pretty outstanding performance from young Jayden. Both on the ball - very capable - and off the ball - intelligent and showing gathering maturity, he is making Heckingbottom's decisions to reinstate George Baldock a very difficult one and that readers is what makes a team good in competition and strength in depth. Imagine if that were the case in 80% of our outfield positions?
Hourihane 6.5/10: A better game from him overall although he did fade in the second half and made way for Fleck
Norwood 7/10: Very well played for him in spells and no daft Hollywood passes. Fought well if at times sometimes lacking the guile to skip past opposition challenges and beat his man
N'daiye 8.5/10: A great game for him. Real shop-window stuff with his tenacious, never-say-die attitude, go-for-broke attacking and sheer will to take our game to them. A real breath of fresh air and worth all the hype and gossip about him. Brilliantly taken goal.
Gibbs-White 7/10: Lovely half from him until injured and if given another half, I feel would have put the match to bed with a goal or two.
Sharp 7.5/10: Grafted and worked and made the opposition think twice about his presence, both in possession and out of possession.

Berge 6.5/10: Nice to see him back in the game at last - but - for fuck's sake Sander. When you have the ball at your feet and the opposition backpedalling, stopping and passing backwards is so fucking last year. Run at the bastards, and score, eh? You're in the shop window now. No discerning manager worth his salt is gonna risk cash on someone with such talent being seemingly frightened to put the opposition on their heels and go at them.
Osborn 6/10: Not much time to assess and he was playing an odd position of up front-ish
Fleck (unmarked): One decent late tackle. Good to see him back, hopefully as John not Jimmy

Supporters 20/10: From start to finish, song after song after song. We done you lot!

Merry Christmas everyone. Not felt this way since McMahon hit those two free kicks past Crawley a few years ago. Jingle Bells!

pommpey
Great report Pomps. Fair scoring apart from MGW who was very average tonight. He's allowed a quite one though :)

Only 2 swear words in your report 🤣

Whilst many - including me - have been preparing ourselves for a return to predictable WIlderball with Hecky reverting to 5-3-2 and everything going Norwood => Hollywood and us creating fuck all, what I wasn't prepared for and apologise for not seeing is a new style of 5-3-2 which is both comfortable for the players and dammit, produces results

I’m not sure I really thought that the formation was inherently broken it’s just that wilder stopped playing it with 2 of the most vital cogs that made it so successful. JOC which we can’t blame wilder for and a creative player like Duffy - which we absolutely can!

Given we managed a few wins in the PL with Ben Osborn playing an actual attacking midfield role, it’s not surprising with players with creativity like n’daiye and MGW in the side to have it looking more successful again.

always been the biggest mystery about wilders implosion that he did fuck all but play a flat three in the middle of the park and hope for the best despite being beaten to nil every week.

Agree with 99%, thought Egan was up in 8/8.5 territory tonight after a season of not being at his best. Never let Mitrovic settle with the ball at his feet and stopped Fulham using him as an outball by hounding him everytime the ball was passed into him. Also between him and JR always seemed to be in the right place for every cross that came in.

Excellent performance and proper team effort, solid, organised and dangerous on the break
Well done, after a truly depressing and slow start to this season we are now looking better by the week

I was out at a wedding last night but my youngest was texting me updates and I saw the highlights when I got in. What a win eh?!!
Best text of the night was him saying all He could hear was the blades fans the Fulham support is terrible. That’s down to Hecky and the players and of course our awesome fans! Jingle bells jingle bells jingle all the way oh what fun it is to see utd win away! Merry Christmas one and all.

Great report, Pompey. I'll also take issue with MGW and Sander marks.
You seize on one turn & pass back - completely ignoring the run & swivle to put Bogle in on goal with a superb pass...
In fact I think we needed to look to find SB with the ball more often in 2nd half so he could carry the ball forward - rather than a lot of aimless clips forward towards Billy which simply gave them the ball back.
Still, much more exciting times to come with competition for places pushing the need to perform or lose your place.
Didzy, Fleck, Sander, George all bursting to get in the 11....
Merry Xmas all.
UTB

Last nights performance is a difficult one to score. Having just beaten a team at their place, that are top of the league and scored 51 goals ( 10 more than anyone else) and restricted them to having only 1 effort on goal some of your scores might seem a bit low, especially for our back 3/5. As a collective unit you want to give them a 10, individually I think you have it just about spot on. It's almost as everyone just did their job without having to be anything special to do it.
We've just won 3 on the bounce away from home, we now need to improve our home form.

Cheers Pomps. Was worried by the two little
niggles at Norwood in your intro, but his rating seems fair!

Thought Osborn had a bit of a stinker when he came on, and he almost cost us the points, but in his defense I suppose he has been asked to play all kinds of roles for us this season.

I thought Norwood was poor. One of the main reasons we were hanging on for dear life for the last 15 minutes. Just consistently gifted possession back to Fulham time and time again. His best pass of the night was the assist for the goal but it was a total fluke.

pommpey

Great report and 100% spot on, a brilliant night - stuff the play-offs let's just go all out and win the league 😁 😁

I think we came away from Craven Cottage with our heads held high. All round good performance from the team and the Management, and a big bunch of plaudits to our supporters/ fans who made that trip whilst half expecting it to be called off. Well done.
One or two niggles - I think Berge has got to stop that habit of turning back when running with the ball, maybe not match fit yet but he looked a yard off the pace. Billy ran his socks off, Osborne didn't pick the game up and could have lost it for us giving the ball away deep in our half .
Fods good - he's looking confident, gives the team a lift, always like Basham - 100% man, Bogle good. Everybody trying - keep it up lads.

Back
Top Bottom